• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Untitled-24.png

Friggen Trueskill.

FyreWulff

Halo 4 NEEDS to have a matchmaking algorithm that matches you up against players with the same DLC as you, so it doesn't matter for Halo 4.

Halo: Reach and Halo 4 need an eventual Mythic disc release so it doesn't matter after most everyone is playing via a disc that has all the DLC.

Wait, correct me if I'm reading this wrong, but are you agreeing with Hyper that the maps were created as campaign spaces first? Because that it not true.

No. Maps were multiplayer first, Boneyard was the only campaign-first space. To be honest, there's quite a few in-between areas in Reach that would have made great multiplayer maps, but I could say that a lot about areas of campaign in 1/2/3. The opening area of Delta Halo in Halo 2? Invasion map.

Halo: Reach and Halo 4 need an eventual Mythic disc release so it doesn't matter after most everyone is playing via a disc that has all the DLC.
Just make it so you actually match up against people with the maps! Why are some people seemingly against the perfect solution for DLC integration (doesn't work for Reach because it's already out).

Even with the Mythic disc, DLC in playlists where its not required isn't close to a sure thing, and it came out 2 years after the game came out.

No. Maps were multiplayer first, Boneyard was the only campaign-first space. To be honest, there's quite a few in-between areas in Reach that would have made great multiplayer maps, but I could say that a lot about areas of campaign in 1/2/3. The opening area of Delta Halo in Halo 2? Invasion map.

Okay, that's what I thought, the wording was just odd.

Just as a tally, 4 games no DLC so far.

FyreWulff

Just make it so you actually match up against people with the maps! Why are some people seemingly against the perfect solution for DLC integration (doesn't work for Reach because it's already out).

Even with the Mythic disc, DLC in playlists where its not required isn't close to a sure thing, and it came out 2 years after the game came out.

Okay, that's what I thought, the wording was just odd.

Just as a tally, 4 games no DLC so far.

That might have just been to the way Halo 3's map selection worked. Even if everyone had the maps, it still had to randomly select the DLC map.

In Reach it's more apparent since you have up to 6 (usually) map choices to make, so it's more apparent when a lobby has all DLC.

I don't know how heavy the DLC match can be turn up in Reach. I would imagine there's a setting that goes "find DLC owners first above all else", but at that point it'd probably tank the search times so hard that you might as well require DLC on the playlist to keep the search times low.

We are not doing this but it's important to realize that's not what Bungie did either. They created MP spaces as specific areas, then grafted those into campaign, as Ivory Tower demonstrates. I actually like a lot of the asymmetrical spaces that created, like Powerhouse and I actually don't think it's a bad idea on paper.

Just as much effort went into the design of those spaces as 'bespoke' map designs.
Much win.

That might have just been to the way Halo 3's map selection worked. Even if everyone had the maps, it still had to randomly select the DLC map.

In Reach it's more apparent since you have up to 6 (usually) map choices to make, so it's more apparent when a lobby has all DLC.

I don't know how heavy the DLC match can be turn up in Reach. I would imagine there's a setting that goes "find DLC owners first above all else", but at that point it'd probably tank the search times so hard that you might as well require DLC on the playlist to keep the search times low.

I'm not really talking about Reach. The solutions are obviously limited because the game is already out, and another TU seems unlikely, but I'm really talking about Halo 4 at least point. If you are not matched up against same-DLC owners in Halo 4 I will simply not buy DLC, no matter what it is. I felt it was unacceptable for Reach to not have this system in place, let alone Halo 4, a AAA multiplayer game, coming out in 2102, following two games in the series with disastrously bad DLC implementation, while other AAA games have figured out DLC implementation years ago.

I know I'm a bit heated on this subject, I don't mean to take it out on you.

FyreWulff

Much win.

It's kind of hard to integrate multiplayer maps into the campaign when you're outsourcing your multplayer map creation..

I'm not really talking about Reach. The solutions are obviously limited because the game is already out, and another TU seems unlikely, but I'm really talking about Halo 4 at least point. If you are not matched up against same-DLC owners in Halo 4 I will simply not buy DLC, no matter what it is. I felt it was unacceptable for Reach to not have this system in place, let alone Halo 4, a AAA multiplayer game, coming out in 2102, following two games in the series with disastrously bad DLC implementation, while other AAA games have figured out DLC implementation years ago.

Reach already has the setting you want. It's up to 343 to crank it all the way up. As I said, the pitfalls of cranking it all the way up ("Searching..." as it waits for DLC owners to get out of their matches) may hurt more than simply requiring DLC on a list. The same pitfall would exist in Halo 4, because what you're essentially doing is creating a virtual DLC-required copy of every single playlist.

Reach already has the setting you want. It's up to 343 to crank it all the way up. As I said, the pitfalls of cranking it all the way up ("Searching..." as it waits for DLC owners to get out of their matches) may hurt more than simply requiring DLC on a list. The same pitfall would exist in Halo 4.

I don't see that as a pitfall personally, I want to play the maps I paid money for.

If they see that as a concern though, they at least have to make it an option for players to choose to do that.

FyreWulff

I don't see that as a pitfall personally, I want to play the maps I paid money for.

If they see that as a concern though, they at least have to make it an option for players to choose to do that.

I'm going to harp my Fable 2-style implementation again. Allow people to download the maps as a free version and a paid version. Only the paid version owners can earn the achievements for the maps and (let's assume Reach's system) the DLC bonus cR in the game completion. When Fable 2 did this it kept the playerbase from splitting in two. While I love DLC, that period in a Halo game where there is no DLC is great since there's zero playerbase splitting.

This is essentially what Gears 3 is doing, so the idea is catching on.

I'm going to harp my Fable 2-style implementation again. Allow people to download the maps as a free version and a paid version. Only the paid version owners can earn the achievements for the maps and (let's assume Reach's system) the DLC bonus cR in the game completion. When Fable 2 did this it kept the playerbase from splitting in two. While I love DLC, that period in a Halo game where there is no DLC is great since there's zero playerbase splitting.

This is essentially what Gears 3 is doing, so the idea is catching on.

The Gears 3 maps are required to play matchmaking (and free), so I'd be okay with that.

FyreWulff

So did the daily cap go up with the update? What'd it go to?

started at 60,000

went up to 120,000

wild guess: 240,000

Also the dashboard update is going to be live in a few years here folks. If you have unsaved films you want to keep you better save them now, because the dashboard update is going to wipe your recent history.

Around the same time I will be streaming the new Queen pack for RB3

The Gears 3 maps are required to play matchmaking (and free), so I'd be okay with that.

Yup, definitely agree with requiring downloading at least the free versions to play most of matchmaking. The only list I wouldn't do that to would be FFA list and whatever the unranked Slayer list is. As it is though, I'd like to see permanent price cuts on Noble and Defiant.

And going back to Halo 3 the other day without the Mythic disc was painful.

"Oh you don't have the DLC maps? LOL have fun not playing 90% of the playlists bitch"

feel

you know I have never played Halo: ODST? How is it? My favorite campaign is H3, so using the same engine is promising.
Fix that right now, ODST is amazing. Best Halo campaign that is not Halo CE.

edit-
unrelated: matched randomly with Thermight on MLG, we were too hot for the other team so they all rage quit 20 seconds into the match.

you know I have never played Halo: ODST? How is it? My favorite campaign is H3, so using the same engine is promising.
The engine doesn't really matter when it comes to mission designs and encounters, but if Halo 3 is your favorite campaign, you should enjoy ODST.

I love Halo 3, ODST, and Combat Evolved the same but for different reasons.

Edit:
1. Encounters: 3 > ODST > CE
2. Story: CE > ODST/3
3. Atmosphere: CE = ODST > 3
4. ODST's hub world.
5. Environments: CE > 3 > ODST

Etc.

Fuck all this shit. Halo CE still has the best campaign, and that's not nostalgia talking since I used to play it after every new sequel.

FyreWulff

They re-ordered the playlists inside the Anniversary category. Anniversary Classic is now first, Anniversary Squad is now under it.

The ordering experiment seems to be working, there's more people in Classic than Squad.

Ramirez

Fix that right now, ODST is amazing. Best Halo campaign that is not Halo CE.

edit-
unrelated: matched randomly with Thermight on MLG, we were too hot for the other team so they all rage quit 20 seconds into the match.

Wait a second, Thermight...on Reach?

nickcagecrazylaughi5fhx.gif

Stackboy

Pretty surprised at the low numbers of players in the playlists these days. Team Slayer was at 1300 when I was playing last night (in Australia). I guess lots of players have migrated to BF3 and MW3.

Top Bottom