• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Ramirez

Most conspiracy theories seem totally crazy and baseless. This one though....wait, no, still crazy. Carry on with the tinfoil hats.

No way it was actually done on purpose, but I think it had a lot to do with them being tired of making the same game for so long. Really the only reason I can explain why everything was completely torn down that had worked for so long. That, and new faces in charge.

monome

Most conspiracy theories seem totally crazy and baseless. This one though....wait, no, still crazy. Carry on with the tinfoil hats.

But I saw it!
I saw the men from bungie, they were eating m&ms while discussing the Next Big Thing and a manager from Ms came to them and said "sorry guys to interrupt, but MS owns your soul until reach has shipped, so we have to keep playing nice with you for marketing reasons but unless you go back to work a make a game with halo scotched on it, and help us sell tons of never to be used DLC, we still have the option to replace you with cyborgs and get A Certain Affinity to finish the fight."
By the time I escaped their facility, they had me play Kinect Sports for hours which may have altered my memories.

By the way, i'm exaggerating. on purpose fucking is too much, deliberate unrestrained tinkering is what I'm accusing them of.

I'd rather see Bungie as guys a bit burned on halo and their MS relationship who got a chance to relax and try stuff before moving on to more exciting places rather than a bunch of fools who fucked up with my MP dreams.
They tried to give fans what they wanted. I wanted stuff i didn't know I wanted but secretely hoped they would give me. Surprise, awe, you know the kind of stuff that made the little game that could the little game that did.

Havok

No way it was actually done on purpose, but I think it had a lot to do with them being tired of making the same game for so long. Really the only reason I can explain why everything was completely torn down that had worked for so long. That, and new faces in charge.
Sure. This is also the first time that the team being split between projects (one of them being their bright and shining future and demanding more attention as a result) has really had an evident effect on the product.

I just find the idea that they would purposely fuck up a product with their name on it completely hilarious.

I'm 97% sure Bungie faked the moon landings.

Andy Kaufman is still alive and works at a game studio in Bellevue.

You know that flouride they put in public water? It compels you to buy map packs.

343 should hire some new people though, Halo needs to be the largest developing company for Halo 4. They should also hire me as playlist manager/dude who plays Halo all day at the office, fuck I could eat so much pizza. I've been meaning to get fatter.

monome

I'm 97% sure Bungie faked the moon landings.

Andy Kaufman is still alive and works at a game studio in Bellevue.

You know that flouride they put in public water? It compels you to buy map packs.

but I only drink tap water. and some toilet water during full moons.

kylej

Banned
About 120, but you were super close.

Please read the interview/piece with Dan Houser in the recent issue of EDGE which is a retrospective on GTA3. Please compare to Halo: Reach's team size and resources.

GOD DAMN YOU HYSTERIA!!!!

monome

343 should hire some new people though, Halo needs to be the largest developing company for Halo 4. They should also hire me as playlist manager/dude who plays Halo all day at the office, fuck I could eat so much pizza. I've been meaning to get fatter.

I'm willing to cook pizzas for you if you get me hired too. i'm part italian.

feel

To be fair Bungie had grown tired of working on the franchise so they had their B (or C) team put some sort of Halo out the door to meet the contractual obligations and be done with it. We'll never know how a fourth main Halo would've turned out if the whole studio (Jason Jones included) was 100% into it.

I really wish MS didn't ask for 2 more games.

Pennybags

Finished Glasslands.

I actually read a plot summary some time ago, but it definitely left a few whopping megatons out.

Wow.

I certainly didn't expect it to move things forward the way it did. [real spoilers]
The Infinity ship from the Halo 4 concept wall and Spartan IV soldiers with a new MJOLNIR, ohboyohboyohboy!

Man, I hope 343 does a good job on having the lore content in-game half as good as what's been given to us since Cryptum.

daedalius

In-between stirring hate at Bungie, i still want to say, the campaign while not being long or explorative enough, gave me a great time. Even though I'm no expert at Halo, I still got burned on the maps much sooner than expected. But matchmaking in Firefight was a saving grace.

I maintain my idea that although Bungie fucked things up on purpose, MS certainly gave them carte-blanche to do so having 343i up and running a bit too late into the game to check on things and probably setting a number of demands restraining creativity and forcing economics down Bungie's throat.
Blank checks, cinemagic were never offered for free Bungie or not.

C'mon dude, a respectable dev isn't going to throw away their rep by purposefully screwing their publisher. MS also isn't foolish enough to screw with a respectable dev who will be releasing future product on their system.

The people at bungie love games(including their own) just as much as we do, it just turns out that we don't agree with some of their design decisions.

Someone liked the fact boneyard and spire were going to be multiplayer maps, I have no idea who it was or how they arrived at that decision, but that is probably the case ;) Just about all of our grievances with the game can be chalked up to design decisions.

Finished Glasslands.

Yea, that book was pretty great. Pumped for Primordium and Halo 4.

In a sense yes, but obviously there were faults in the processes that allowed these design decisions to pass review/quality control.

Not if the reviewing team agreed with said design decisions ;) Someone loved bloom, probably a few someones, and they managed to push it through onto everyone else who may not have agreed. Someone thought vehicles should be made of paper in the beta, thankfully that was adjusted. Someone thought nuclear grenades on a short fuse were great... and now that is what we have.

TheOddOne

In a sense yes, but obviously there were faults in the processes that allowed these design decisions to pass review/quality control.
I think you can't really blame them all as a whole. Tons of decisions get made while their is still a small group against it. Guess most of them found these designs decisions fine.

monome

I think we should all go to Bungie's headquarters and have angry sex to get things over. It helps, really. Maybe they will spill the beans on destinity while pillow talking.

And Glasslands, yes it certainly did set a few contractual obligations on Halo 4 actually delivering the stuff in game.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Please read the interview/piece with Dan Houser in the recent issue of EDGE which is a retrospective on GTA3. Please compare to Halo: Reach's team size and resources.

GOD DAMN YOU HYSTERIA!!!!

Haven't read the latest Edge, so I don't know what Houser stated, but in any case http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MJeNZvF3LU

I think we should all go to Bungie's headquarters and have angry sex to get things over. It helps, really. Maybe they will spill the beans on destinity while pillow talking.

Guy pile is go.

monome

Guy pile is go.

Excuse my french, but what does it mean? not that i'm offended, just curious.

EDIT : a quick google image search does suggest what I had in mind...I may have to reconsider the harshness of my endeavour. It certainly will mess with my ability to perform any sexual activity with a proper lady therafter. Any Gaygaffer ready to take the plunge if I may say so?
Don't ban me, I'm joking. J.O.K.I.N.G.

kylej

Banned
Haven't read the latest Edge, so I don't know what Houser stated, but in any case http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MJeNZvF3LU

"DMA was in turmoil when we began the game, having shrunk to around a dozen guys in the months after becoming part of Rockstar, with very few people believing this game could be made. We were very fortunate because the core of what became the GTAIII team were happy and in place, centered on Leslie Benzies, Aaron Garbut, Adam Fowler, and Obbe Vermeij."

"We wanted a UK development hub, and believed the core guys, few as they were, were uniquely talented and worked very well with us. The tiny nature of the GTAIII team - 22 guys in Scotland, I think, and maybe six in New York - was in some ways its strength, as people worked well across departments, and the entrenchment between, code, design, animation and art did not happen."

That's a quote from executive producer, VP of Rockstar NYC, and writer of just about every Rockstar game ever released.

They must've not had any MLG players meddle with the development, I guess.

monome

much to my pleasure, this thread has been much derailed.

I guess Destiny will offer a glimpse of Uranus or at least offer modern ways of enlarging the circle of your (online) friends.

monome

Good god. You're all a bunch of flopped flippers aren't you?

Bungie>>>>>>everyone ever in the history of the universe.

Never said the contrary.
Was just not as satisfied with reach as i thought i'd be. Still the bast FPS in 2010/11 as far as I'm concerned and most satisfying MP.
Just making the case that too much stars have aligned pointing at some internal difficulties to actually produce the game that could be.

And this is Halogaf, so I'm getting ready for 343i stuff. Bitching about Bungie is like bitching about your ex to please you're new girl. It ain't subtle but works every damn time.

ElRenoRaven

Never said the contrary.
Was just not as satisfied with reach as i thought i'd be. Still the bast FPS in 2010/11 as far as I'm concerned and most satisfying MP.
Just making the case that too much stars have aligned pointing at some internal difficulties to actually produce the game that could be.

And this is Halogaf, so I'm getting ready for 343i stuff. Bitching about Bungie is like bitching about your ex to please you're new girl. It ain't subtle but works every damn time.

Oh I know. I'm just being silly.

Homeboyd

Where's a good spot in the campaign to get the 200 automatic weapon kills?

Edit: And can we work on a weekly playlist having a "Super Jackpot" while the weekend payouts are increased to pre-transition levels... i.e. 20k+?

Would love to get back into "Double EXP Playlists" for the weekend with super jackpot payouts or at least double slot machine payouts. New gametypes plz. Or.. old ones we haven't seen yet.

*coughteamflagcough*

Top Bottom