• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Think we'll get any kind of Halo 4 news before the new year? Anything? More than the occasional Fronklez pop-in "I saw something awesome at work today, but I'm not going to tell you guys what it is so kiss my ass bitches" kind of news?

A trailer on Christmas would be perfect, but it probably won't be until next year. Till then, we can only hope for a water update from Fronkle.

Would you like to see a further reduction in bloom or is it just bloom in general? Obviously I don't want bloom on the precision weapons in Halo 4 but insofar as the DMR in Reach is concerned, zero bloom is too dominant and something like 50% bloom would probably not kick in until the eighth shot. 85% feels right too me.
It's probably bloom in general, but I'd like to see how 50%-60% plays out.

daedalius

If 343 had used RoF locking instead, yes. But since they didn't, no, it breaks the rest of the sandbox, especially with bleedthrough active.

Would have rather seen them lock the RoF as well. Out of scope perhaps? It doesn't seem easy to adjust the rate of fire capability of weapons opposed to tweaking their bloom.

FyreWulff

Would have rather seen them lock the RoF as well. Out of scope perhaps? It doesn't seem easy to adjust the rate of fire capability of weapons opposed to tweaking their bloom.

It's a parameter you can adjust in the map metadata. If they can modify the pistol's RoF with a patch, there was nothing special (besides time) that would prevent the DMR from being able to change it's RoF. Especially since they decided to thrown LAN under the bus and break compatibility anyway. But since they only put a single programmer to work on the TU (343's own words at Halofest), other stuff like no fall damage and PP stun also got cut. Now I'm starting to wonder if they would have pushed those changes in TU gametypes too.

It would have not been possible to change the pistol's RoF like they did and maintain cross-version compatibility. At this point, we don't even know if the TU additions are actually separable components or if once a Megalo script calls in the TU changes, they all have to come as package. They dodge questions about it every time it's asked.

TheOddOne

Think we'll get any kind of Halo 4 news before the new year? Anything? More than the occasional Fronklez pop-in "I saw something awesome at work today, but I'm not going to tell you guys what it is so kiss my ass bitches" kind of news?
It's all we will get this year, next month super reveal.

It's probably bloom in general, but I'd like to see how 50%-60% plays out.

They said at Halofest that they had a bloom slider from 0-100%. Would be nice if they released ten percent increments as gametypes on the Waypoint fileshare for custom testing for those interested.

I imagine that ROF locking is far easier than bloom adjustment. I consider it a missed opportunity that they didn't release a four shot, no bloom, ROF capped DMR.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with Waypoint and H4.
Creating custom challenges from the Xbox interface would be a nice start.
Also, improving it's menu integration (like Anniversary did) and maybe some forum integration: view and reply to your saved threads, message buddies...

Creating custom challenges from the Xbox interface would be a nice start.
Also, improving it's menu integration (like Anniversary did) and maybe some forum integration: view and reply to your saved threads, message buddies...

Halo Waypoint 2012 with HaloGAF integration. BELIEVE.

FyreWulff

They said at Halofest that they had a bloom slider from 0-100%. Would be nice if they released ten percent increments as gametypes on the Waypoint fileshare for custom testing.

See, that's what annoys me. They went on about how they have all these sliders, but they set them to one position and don't even give us other gametypes to experiment with. I want to see 50%, 60%, 70%, 150%, and 200% bloom gametypes. 85% with no bleedthrough. 0% with no bleedthrough. A super slow pistol that kills in one shot for a Golden Gun gametype. Just let us try them.

Homeboyd

See, that's what annoys me. They went on about how they have all these sliders, but they set them to one position and don't even give us other gametypes to experiment with. I want to see 50%, 60%, 70%, 150%, and 200% bloom gametypes. Just let us try them.

-200% maybe...

Edit:
Super Soakers in Halo 4?

FyreWulff

-200% maybe...

Edit:
Super Soakers in Halo 4?

I was thinking of a Instagib gametype, where you wouldn't want a spammable DMR in it but still have a DMR (since 343 didn't put RoF locking in). These gametypes don't have to all be matchmaking viable, but since we can't rig them up ourselves via the UI, 343 needs to do it for us. Or a slower paced SWAT custom variant. Stuff like that.

Bungie went through the trouble of giving us Chess even though it was unusable for matchmaking, it'd be nice if 343 would write a Love Letter To the Fans and help us out here.

I just wish it was gone in FF. I know the changes can't cross into that model but bloom in FF MM just pisses me off.

Their "cool uncle" patch strategy wouldn't allow that to happen. If they actually had decided to stand behind any of their changes, they could have implemented them game-wide.

Homeboyd

I was thinking of a Instagib gametype, where you wouldn't want a spammable DMR in it but still have a DMR (since 343 didn't put RoF locking in). These gametypes don't have to all be matchmaking viable, but since we can't rig them up ourselves via the UI, 343 needs to do it for us. Or a slower paced SWAT custom variant. Stuff like that.

Bungie went through the trouble of giving us Chess even though it was unusable for matchmaking, it'd be nice if 343 would write a Love Letter To the Fans and help us out here.
I just wish it was gone in FF. I know the changes can't cross into that model but bloom in FF MM just pisses me off.

In my opinion, firefight and campaign are the only modes that work with bloom. Never had a problem with it. Probably because it's so much less competetive than matchmaking.

I'd love to see bloomless firefight though. I'm all in for more options.

I think most programmers are focused into 4 right now, it has been more than 4 months since 343 took over and we still have no sweet new stupid gsmetypes ala Halo Ball, Speedpile and Speedflag.

I hope 343 learns from their mistakes, just give us a UI and let us toggle everything. Weapons and loadouts base traits are a must.

See, that's what annoys me. They went on about how they have all these sliders, but they set them to one position and don't even give us other gametypes to experiment with. I want to see 50%, 60%, 70%, 150%, and 200% bloom gametypes. 85% with no bleedthrough. 0% with no bleedthrough. A super slow pistol that kills in one shot for a Golden Gun gametype. Just let us try them.

I agree for custom chicanery. I think for matchmaking it's important to maintain consistency with the bloom setting (85%, imo, should be in all playlists, at least for the bloom).

Maybe for a Christmas treat, they could release those gametypes you asked for as a bumper basket (or Megalo if we're really lucky). Might produce some interesting custom gametypes... they might as well seeing as they went to the effort to produce the slider.

Awesome Barlow said:
I didn't know it was possible for people to be THIS bad

Neg 45 from one Xbox

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=873205620&player=The Henery

Lool

Who really gives a shit that it's iconic? Introduce a new gun. Change it up. It pains me to see the AR in screen shots of Halo.

Agreed. Having a gun in the game just because it's 'iconic' is just silly.

Put me in the camp that the Halo 3/Reach AR is one of the most uninspired, boring weapons to use in any video game.

Homeboyd

Any good warthog driver out there wanna help run the maw with 1:00 left on the clock achievement in about 30-45? It'll complete my legendary run and help me knock out the co-op achievements as well.

I'm not the best warthog driver out there and I'm not at all familiar with the maw. I did already get the right side up one though.

FyreWulff

Any good warthog driver out there wanna help run the maw with 1:00 left on the clock achievement in about 30-45? It'll complete my legendary run and help me knock out the co-op achievements as well.

I'm not the best warthog driver out there and I'm not at all familiar with the maw. I did already get the right side up one though.

Switch to Legacy sticks when you get in the hog

Karl2177

Although it's not specifically for that achievement, this route is pretty good. I would join, but the netcode in Anniversary means I'm going at 10 fps.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

Doubt it. Most of 343 seems to be on their two week break now. I'm hoping for something in January.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hope the holidays doesn't prevent us from getting a Primordium preview chapter or two. Tis the closet we'll get to Halo 4 info for some time.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I dont think we need to wait for than 2 to 3 more months for some nice juicy Halo 4 news.

Pessimism is the best route. Expect a long wait for any proper Halo 4 news. You'll either set yourself up and happily accept the reality of the situation or you'll be pleasantly surprised and happy to be wrong.

wwm0nkey

Pessimism is the best route. Expect a long wait for any proper Halo 4 news. You'll either set yourself up and happily accept the reality of the situation or you'll be pleasantly surprised and happy to be wrong.

I really dont think we will have to wait till any longer after March for news or a trailer. That is just way to long of a wait and would probably drive a few people mad lol

I say we get a full, twenty-minute gameplay video in January of the multiplayer and the opening cutscene of the game's singleplayer.

Followed by a massive public beta in February.

Game will ship in March.

Bit we will be able to speculate once Primordium hits the stores, speculate people!

daedalius

Well Havok and I had just finished the first round and were at 150k points when my internet decided it didn't want me to continue playing.

/facepalm

FyreWulff

Well Havok and I had just finished the first round and were at 150k points when my internet decided it didn't want me to continue playing.

/facepalm

And this is why I resist volunteering for Endure runs, even though I've done like 10 of them on my own/other gamertags. I don't want to be that guy that lags out in Set 4 :lol

Flipyap

Masterful.
Masterful Codpack - 800msp

The Trooper

vxq4J.png

The Sting

WsO9V.png

The Tengu

xOa6p.png

There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

Top Bottom