• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Gabotron ES said:
None of these things are really neccesary, what they have to do is to develop a great netcode, Reach's netcode was already a great improvement over 3's crappy online experience.
Dedis won't solve anything and I'm 89% sure Halo 4 won't have them.

They do solve things though.

Like players with crazy ass host advantage.

and

Shitty framerates.

As for human eyes its more around 100fps probably but it cant be measured accurately. Go here:http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...wnjQaIXIsAMapu0Kg&sig2=oBSu7QymerKCqiT45JwokA

MrBig

Gabotron ES said:
Don't get me wrong but I'm sure most guys yelling "Halo needs dedicated servers" don't even know how these works and the complications they could bring.
Again, a better netcode and host selection system would be a better solution, regarding the 60 FPS thing, isn't the human eye capable of seeing 24 FPS, where would the others go?
Oh.

Gabotron ES said:
Don't get me wrong but I'm sure most guys yelling "Halo needs dedicated servers" don't even know how these works and the complications they could bring.
Again, a better netcode and host selection system would be a better solution, regarding the 60 FPS thing, isn't the human eye capable of seeing 24 FPS, where would the others go?

Better host selection isn't going to happen when you play with a mixed bag of people from all different places. The ideal situation is a dedicated server that averages out everyone's distance is selected, not some random in where ever the fuck.

Merguson said:
mj4foz.jpg

Boring. Boring. Boring.
Haha alright. Wake me when you need me. *Puts on makeshift cape to go back to AC*

Gabotron ES said:
Is this a joke? Serious question here.

Go play a 60fps game for an extended period of time then come back to Halo. The difference is night and day.

Barrow Roll said:
Is this a joke? Serious question here.

Go play a 60fps game for an extended period of time then come back to Halo. The difference is night and day.
Gabotron ES said:
It's pretty late here, not my fault bro.

The 24 FPS thing was just a joke :p

Definitely agree: Halo 4 should have 60fps.

So, um, Glasslands. Loved it. It really has me excited for what may come next.

Glasslands Spoilers-
Monocle said:
I agree with you about the book's Halsey-bashing. I mean, putting Dr. Halsey in the same class as Stalin? Really? Even if Halsey's motives were mainly selfish, she harnessed her brilliance for research that hugely benefited humanity. The awkward fact Glasslands seems to ignore in all its hand wringing over Halsey's victims is that, by condemning 75 families to misery or death, she saved her entire species. I wonder how many innocent humans died in Parangosky's failed schemes? No doubt she's responsible for far more shady business than Halsey, and with less impressive results to show for it.

I loved Parangosky's character, by the way. Hope she shows up in Halo 4 for a moment or two. Also, BB's a badass. It would be amazing to see him meet Cortana.

I agree, Halsey is no angel, but she was really put down during this novel. Its not that I dont agree that she did some awful things and is horribly flawed, its just she didn't have her redeeming factors acknowledged by other characters. The other thing that got to me is how Parangosky seemed to be respected while Halsey was viewed as a monster, while in reality it seems Halsey may be the lesser of the two evils. I hope ONI, and not just Halsey, gets what it deserves. Also, while I like Mendez, he also got off easy. He didn't have much room viewing Halsey as a monster as he also did some awful things. Hypocrisy all around.

Anyways.. Spartan IVs, Forunner tech, humans and ex-covenant integrating, engineers, and old conflicts coming back all have me very excited. But that ending, it is such a tease. Please let us continue to get new info before the next book via data drops or other means.

Hypertrooper said:
Isn't that old? Or did he make a new one? I know that this dude is making the props for the never-coming out fan film Halo: Faith.

Whats the deal with Halo Faith anyways? They seemed to just drop off the face of the planet after the Elite picture was shown.

ElRenoRaven

Demoncarnotaur said:
So, um, Glasslands. Loved it. It really has me excited for what may come next.

Glasslands Spoilers-

I agree, Halsey is no angel, but she was really put down during this novel. Its not that I dont agree that she did some awful things and is horribly flawed, its just she didn't have her redeeming factors acknowledged by other characters. The other thing that got to me is how Parangosky seemed to be respected while Halsey was viewed as a monster, while in reality it seems Halsey may be the lesser of the two evils. I hope ONI, and not just Halsey, gets what it deserves. Also, while I like Mendez, he also got off easy. He didn't have much room viewing Halsey as a monster as he also did some awful things. Hypocrisy all around.

Anyways.. Spartan IVs, Forunner tech, humans and ex-covenant integrating, engineers, and old conflicts coming back all have me very excited. But that ending, it is such a tease. Please let us continue to get new info before the next book via data drops or other means.

Yea. I mean he did evil shit too. Halsey wasn't alone. People had to ok what she did. People helped her do it. So while she's no angel neither is anyone else. Hell look at what those judging her were doing. They were currently screwing the Elites over and trying to cause war within them. At least Halsey realized she wasn't a good person.

Considering we still have a couple more books in this series I really hope the others get their time to get their skeletons paraded before others too.

PsychoRaven said:
Yea. I mean he did evil shit too. Halsey wasn't alone. People had to ok what she did. People helped her do it. So while she's no angel neither is anyone else. Hell look at what those judging her were doing. They were currently screwing the Elites over and trying to cause war within them. At least Halsey realized she wasn't a good person.

Considering we still have a couple more books in this series I really hope the others get their time to get their skeletons paraded before others too.
Halsey did a lot more. She took war ressources(the Spartans II) to Onyx for her own purpose. And you forget the Parangsky is the boss. If you are dealing with her, you're already dead. Do we blame secret agency's bosses for their doings? We never find out what they did. And that's the same in 2553. People will never find out what she did. People will never find out, that ONI was srewing the elites over.

60 FPS? Not going to happen.
Unless MS Studios suddenly start to chase the PC market, as in actually invest in it.
Dedis? Unlikely.

Awesome game? I want to believe.

TheOddOne

Zeouterlimits said:
60 FPS? Not going to happen.
Unless MS Studios suddenly start to chase the PC market, as in actually invest in it.
Dedis? Unlikely.

Awesome game? I want to believe.
"Halo is primarily a console shooter"

Here have some Age of Empires... what you don't want it? Why?

More Glasslands discusion, spoilers, etc.

PsychoRaven said:

Agreed, completely. Im really curious if the character arcs may change slightly, as I hope they start to realize they are being assholes trying to basically destroy elites as a species. More importantly, Osman loathes Halsey and deeply respects Parangosky... I hope she comes to realize that there is some major hypocrisy in that thought process. Osman may be a spook, but I hope she backs up and finds her morals by being the product of ONIs deceit.

Hypertrooper said:
Halsey did a lot more. She took war ressources(the Spartans II) to Onyx for her own purpose. And you forget the Parangsky is the boss. If you are dealing with her, you're already dead. Do we blame secret agency's bosses for their doings? We never find out what they did. And that's the same in 2553. People will never find out what she did. People will never find out, that ONI was srewing the elites over.

And Parangosky has people killed if they annoy her. What im saying is that she seems too well respected by Osman and the others if they find Halsey to be a monster. I just hope that Halsey isnt turned into an complete selfish bitch all the time, even if she is most of the time. Also, its fine if she gets screwed, Parangosky is the boss, I just hope we learn to dislike Parangosky just as much.

Dedicated Servers doesn't necessarily mean EA servers btw. And any dedis established on the east coast would greatly improve NA West Coast v Euro games. I can't believe this is even a discussion.

Havok

daedalius said:
Unless you're team shooting the dmr isn't going to do much to a hog.
There are 8 dudes on your team. Why wouldn't you be team shooting the biggest threat to you? Even two guys shooting can scare it off pretty easily.

Devolution said:
Dedicated Servers doesn't necessarily mean EA servers btw. And any dedis established on the east coast would greatly improve NA West Coast v Euro games. I can't believe this is even a discussion.
How would it be different than a dude on the East Coast getting host?

Hydranockz said:

For instance if you had a GOOD connection you'd be fine. Not all Europe to American connections are bad. But residential to residential American/Europe can usually be pretty laggy.

Also no "player" gets host advantage. Thats a good start in a game thats supposed to be even ly fair.

Halo 4 still needs a countdown before game match starts though, sick of seeing a team moving when I'm just spawning into the game. Such a dumb thing that happens.

stephen08

Hydranockz said:

From my understanding the only benefit really is that no one playing has host advantage. Still, people are going to ping to a server better than others.

stephen08 said:
From my understanding the only benefit really is that no one playing has host advantage. Still, people are going to ping to a server better than others.

Is that not better than the current situation. That still happens at the moment.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Demoncarnotaur said:

Agreed, completely. Im really curious if the character arcs may change slightly, as I hope they start to realize they are being assholes trying to basically destroy elites as a species. More importantly, Osman loathes Halsey and deeply respects Parangosky... I hope she comes to realize that there is some major hypocrisy in that thought process. Osman may be a spook, but I hope she backs up and finds her morals by being the product of ONIs deceit.

And Parangosky has people killed if they annoy her. What im saying is that she seems too well respected by Osman and the others if they find Halsey to be a monster. I just hope that Halsey isnt turned into an complete selfish bitch all the time, even if she is most of the time. Also, its fine if she gets screwed, Parangosky is the boss, I just hope we learn to dislike Parangosky just as much.

Where did you come up with ONI trying to destroy the Sangeili? That isn't the case at all. ONI is supply the religious fanatics with arms in an effort to escalate the political division and rivalry happening in their society. ONI simply wants to stop the Elites from recovering quickly after the Great Schism because of the threat they obviously pose to Humanity, whose in a rather bad shape after the Covenant war.

Humanity, having pushed to the edge of extinction is in bad shape. We may be on the brink of technological surge with Forerunner technology, but the Covenant war has had a serious toll. Billions dead, our military heart, Reach, glassed. We've little significant military assets left - fleets, shipbuilding facilities, factories, resources and our colonies are either glassed or have turned their backs on the UNSC.

Humanity is just as broken as the Sangeili are.

So it's a race. We need to get back on our feet before they do least we risk putting ourselves at the mercy of the stronger, dominant species. If the Elites decide to go to war with us again and have the military might to do so, we have no where else to run and no where to hide. They would be able to wipe us out and finish what they started.

Humanity finally have caught up with the Elites in terms of technology thanks to the Forerunner stuff. We may even surpass them in time thanks our ability to quickly learn and adapt. We just need time.

This is ultimately what ONI is trying to do, protect Humanity by whatever means possible. In the past it involved stealing children and making super-soldiers out of them. Today it means befriending one faction of Elites as we sell weapons to another. Tomorrow it may mean something equally morally murky.

stephen08

StalkerUKCG said:
Is that not better than the current situation. That still happens at the moment.

Oh it's definitely better. But I think how much better has a tendency to get overblown.

xxjuicesxx said:
Don't forget you cant do any network manipulation when there is dedis.

Is that accurate? It would certainly eliminate people forcing host but what about flooding other clients IPs? But you are correct in that it would definitely remove some of that sinister behavior.

Hydranockz said:
Yes, and so was yours by the way :p No need to be so condescending.

Dude on east coast isn't guaranteed to be in the game. Dude on east coast isn't guaranteed to have a stable or good enough connection for hosting.

Demoncarnotaur said:
I don't think that Parangosky is well respected by the ODSTs. They fear her. Does Glasslands really turn Halsey into a selfish bitch? A few parts. But I got the impression that she is a worried mom. Worried about the Spartans II. I even got the impression that she regrets her life. And trying to justify this with her work.

ElRenoRaven

Demoncarnotaur said:

Exactly.

Also Halsey took them there to save them. She had started the path to redemption in GOO and yet now it totally changes it to she was just being a selfish bitch and dragged them along. I think part of that change is a change in writers. It's also an example of why I don't like authors taking over anothers story.

TheOddOne

Has anybody notice this: the match starts normally, then right at the beginning the screen goes black and then after a few second I'm back in the game. Then I notice that I can't use my AA and they AA logo is sticking out my teammates torso's. The other team on the other hand can use their AA's. Has happend to me a couple of times today.

feel

Hydranockz said:
Upload speed of a server from microsoft's badass farm of servers vs some random kid's home upload speed.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
TheOddOne said:
Has anybody notice this: the match starts normally, then right at the beginning the screen goes black and then after a few second I'm back in the game. Then I notice that I can't use my AA and they AA logo is sticking out my teammates torso's. The other team on the other hand can use their AA's. Has happend to me a couple of times today.
Happens to me fairly often. I've seen in numerous times, for sure.

Woorloog

Banned
TheOddOne said:
o_O Happened me constantly while playing Reach. Like in every fucking match (very often if not in everyone), from the day one till the day i stopped playing Reach.
As for why this happens, no idea.

TheOddOne

omg.kittens said:
Happens to me fairly often. I've seen in numerous times, for sure.
Really? This is the first time I've encountered this. It resets after your killed though, so its no big deal but its still annoying when it happens.

Oh it'd also eliminate host quits/all the weapon respawning problem.

I say these reasons might be adding up.

Lets try and get nice things in our Halo! instead of saying "OHHH ITS GOOD ENOUGHHHH"

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Hypertrooper said:
Does Glasslands really turn Halsey into a selfish bitch? A few parts. But I got the impression that she is a worried mom. Worried about the Spartans II. I even got the impression that she regrets her life. And trying to justify this with her work.

I don't think Glasslands turned Halsey into she wasn't already. The fact is, up to now, there's never really been anyone to raise the questions the book asks, not even much from the fandom.

Abducting children? Illegal cloning? Unethical medical experiments on children? Child murder?

Halsey never once considered the consequences of her actions. What little conscience she had or has now developed never once got in the way of these clearly criminal acts.

So suddenly she has an attack of guilt. And what does she doe? Steals and abducts military resources and personnel during a war when they were most needed. More selfish, self-centred criminal acts committed by an egotist without care or thought about the consequences.

History, as they say, is written by winners but that shouldn't be an excuse to sweep the dirt under the carpet.

And in terms of blaming Halsey more than anyone else? She's the central figure. Look at the Nazi's - most of Hitler's circle of henchmen, some of the worst war criminals in living memory, committed most of their crimes by proxy. They signed papers. Gave orders. Made demands. And there was always someone else in the chain of command that allowed them. Did that excuse them of their crimes? Heck no.

Parangosky intentionally went public with the full Spartan II details because it was easy to lay the blame at the feet of the person most responsible for it all - Halsey. Halsey is dead, in terms of public awareness so she makes the perfect scapegoat and allows ONI to wash its hands clean. Parangosky testifies and admits her role in turning a blind eye and giving direct permission for most of it. The whole event has been choreographed.

Parangosky isn't getting away with her crimes here wither. She's accepting personal responsibility so that the blame stops with her. Stops with Halsey. It was her fault. Halsey's fault. While ONI continues on wards like it always does.

KevinRo

xxjuicesxx said:
Oh it'd also eliminate host quits/all the weapon respawning problem.

I say these reasons might be adding up.

Lets try and get nice things in our Halo! instead of saying "OHHH ITS GOOD ENOUGHHHH"

This.

Nothing irks me more than a developer that says 'no' or 'cant'. Why not try and be the best you can and make your product entirely complete? Your competitors do it, why not you?

KevinRo said:
This.

Nothing irks me more than a developer that says 'no' or 'cant'. Why not try and be the best you can and make your product entirely complete? Your competitors do it, why not you?
But aren't there non-financial arguments for P2P?
Which games do use Dedi's? (as a matter of interest)

Top Bottom