• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

The Real Napsta said:
Nice, it looks like that ZB and DLC weighting is working.
It works really well when you go with a group of DLC owners but when you go alone it's pretty useless.

I applaud them for looking at the problem.

I just hope if new maps combinations are well liked and introduced into the Invasion playlist ( my Highlands variant, FyreWulf's Headlong...) Invasion lovers will realize this and purchase some DLC.

I'm getting tired of Spire and Boneyard and some Invasion Slayer on Paradiso *sigh*

TOM T 117

Neo Member
Karl2177 said:
First game in the Beta playlist: ZB Slayer DMRs on Highlands. This can't end well...

Yep. Fuck that. I can't even get a single game in that I enjoy. I've tried twice in the past week and this game's bullshit pushes me back out. I'll try again when Anniversary comes out, but even MW3 is looking better than the crap this game puts out.
I couldn't help but laugh, although I have a feeling I'll share your sentiments (excluding the MW3 comment - seriously, man?) when I load up Reach for myself. Tempest can play well, but Defiant lacks any maps that are enjoyable in a 4v4 setting.

FyreWulff

I had a Highlands variant too, but I only got as far as finishing it up to phase 2.. didn't really know what to do with phase 3. I showed it to Duncan and didn't work on it much after that.

Would have been a LOT easier if there had been more than crates to work with. Hopefully Headlong has a big enough palette so I don't have to make walls out of camping chairs.

So many freaking crates. I think Highlands has support for like 200 total crates or something.

FyreWulff said:
I had a Highlands variant too, but I only got as far as finishing it up to phase 2.. didn't really know what to do with phase 3. I showed it to Duncan and didn't work on it much after that.

Would have been a LOT easier if there had been more than crates to work with. Hopefully Headlong has a big enough palette so I don't have to make walls out of camping chairs.

So many freaking crates. I think Highlands has support for like 200 total crates or something.
Yup, you have to get imaginative due to the lack of forge objects, not a single shield door in both Condemned and Highlands.

Hopefully they played more around with the forge palette in Anniversary.

Edit: They would also add genuine Covenant and Human scenery like communication beacons (like on Spire) so we could use them as objectives.

If this doesn't happen you can place some upside down gravity lifts to make them look like some kind of generators.

Karl2177

Dax01 said:
What's wrong with ZB slayer on Highlands?
The same reason ZB on Hemo isn't fun. It's a large map with the only cover coming around on the outside of the map. No one wants to get in a vehicle because they'll get wrecked by the absurd amount of power weapons on the map. Then to top it off, I spawned into a shotgun barrel 3 times in a row. Also, why would you want to have 4v4 on a map that large.

TOM T 117 said:
I couldn't help but laugh, although I have a feeling I'll share your sentiments (excluding the MW3 comment - seriously, man?) when I load up Reach for myself. Tempest can play well, but Defiant lacks any maps that are enjoyable in a 4v4 setting.
I was watching the MW3 video on killstreaks, and one of them doesn't reset after dying. The developer went on to say that this was the most balanced Call of Duty game to date. I laughed, closed the video, and bitched to my friend that is anticipating the multiplayer. Even after that, I still think I'll have more fun with that game (for a while. I was the first of my friends to put MW2 down.) than I do this one.

If you want my quick perspective on Reach, I love Firefight but have a terrible connection. I find the campaign to be pretty meh. I sometimes tolerate matchmaking, but I find custom games to be the greatest part of the game. Forge is easier than 3, but it's still pretty tedious to make some simple switches, like what I want to do to Cage, Powerhouse, Boardwalk, and almost every map I have a minor yet fixable issue with. Spire is an untamable mess however.

I just feel like this game has so much potential, yet it's wasted on crap like Speedpile and Hot Potato. It doesn't help that the weapon sandbox in this game is really lacking a good reliable starting weapon, yet not jack of all trades sort of gun. I used to think the BR was this way, but after playing Reach for over a year I would love the BR back.

So listening to the podcast, they did meet fans in each of the countries. Hmm, how did people know about it? I would have loved to have headed along to the London thing.

bobs99 ... said:
So listening to the podcast, they did meet fans in each of the countries. Hmm, how did people know about it? I would have loved to have headed along to the London thing.
These events were press-events. You must have got an invite by Microsoft to get in.

Hypertrooper said:
These events were press-events. You must have got an invite by Microsoft to get in.

I assumed as much, but from the podcast they made it sound like they were meeting fans? I was just curious how those fans knew about it. Which communities got invited along?

If theres a super secret Halo community in the UK who get cool stonecutter rings I want in.

bobs99 ... said:
I assumed as much, but from the podcast they made it sound like they were meeting fans? I was just curious how those fans knew about it. Which communities got invited along?

If theres a super secret Halo community in the UK who get cool stonecutter rings I want in.
Can't people who works as a game journalist be fans?

Hypertrooper said:
I was pretty dissapointed with this, hope they visit Madrid's GameFEST or Barcelona's GameLAB when promoting Halo 4.

I have yet to see Frankie and David in person :/

Gabotron ES said:
I was pretty dissapointed with this, hope they visit Madrid's GameFEST or Barcelona's GameLAB when promoting Halo 4.

I have yet to see Frankie and David in person :/
I haven't met Frankie yet. Haven't talked much with David. Haven't talked much with anyone. Yeah problems to be the foreigner. Especially I couldn't get rid of my PA swag bag.

Just plan a trip to GamesCom next year. You won't be disappointed if you meet me. I promise. :p

Did you guys know you could save custom searches in Reach by pressing Y? They'll stay as shortcuts on the file browser page. Played the game since launch and discovered this last night.

HiredN00bs said:
Did you guys know you could save custom searches in Reach by pressing Y? They'll stay as shortcuts on the file browser page. Played the game since launch and discovered this last night.

News to me

HiredN00bs said:
Yup, pretty nice feature. It was really helpfull to me when I was doing the spartan collage thing.

Plywood said:
Sweet, judging by what we have already seen I think it's called Halo 4 :p

Hypertrooper said:
Just plan a trip to GamesCom next year. You won't be disappointed if you meet me. I promise. :p
I might ;)

thee henery said:
7500 in Living Dead!?!"?!?...

Closest competitor is Team Slayer at five thousand.
That playlist is basically Alpha Zombies on Swordbase the whole time, it just shows how most Reach players will play whatever shit you give them, broken or not.

Living Dead rant #8

Turn friendly fire off.

wwm0nkey said:
Who here is going to PAX East?
I'm trying to decide.

I was spoiled by my super cheap hotel in Seattle since it was within walking distance. The BCEC doesn't have very many hotels close by and none of them are cheap. The problem with getting one further away is that cab fare becomes a factor.

If I can find an inexpensive hotel close to public transportation I'll probably go for it. Might try to smooth-talk my way into a media badge this time.

Striker

Tashi0106 said:
Thank God for the Classic variant.

The heavy placements of the power weapons reminds me of their decisions in Highlands, also, which is odd. Neither map needs all those.

Striker said:
Battle Canyon: Rockets, Sniper, grenade launcher, sword... overkill much? Oh, shotguns in the bases. :lol
6 power weapons in game with 8 players. That makes sense lol.

I was really hoping when we saw that weapon layout earlier that it was just for the media events so that they could use more power weapons, but I guess not.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
thee henery said:
7500 in Living Dead!?!"?!?...

Closest competitor is Team Slayer at five thousand.
The Living Dead numbers always leave me speechless. I just don't get it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Gabotron ES said:
Sweet, judging by what we have already seen I think it's called Halo 4 :p
Nonsense, you don't take 200+ employees and have them work on the leftovers of Halo 3.

Striker said:
Battle Canyon: Rockets, Sniper, grenade launcher, sword... overkill much? Oh, shotguns in the bases. :lol

DMR battles will be few and far between on that map; if you don't have a power weapon, someone else will. I do like the fact that the grenade launcher is there, I'm just starting to get competent with it and understand it.

Can you imagine the shotty camping on CTF though? Very frustrating I imagine.

Edit: Camo and scrambled radar and shotty camping on ctf!

Striker

thee henery said:
DMR battles will be few and far between on that map; if you don't have a power weapon, someone else will. I do like the fact that the grenade launcher is there, I'm just starting to get competent with it and understand it.

Can you imagine the shotty camping on CTF though? Very frustrating I imagine.

Edit: Camo and scrambled radar and shotty camping on ctf!
Grenade launcher is great, just isn't something I would place on that type of map, nor on each side.

CEA playlist with default weapon placements, please, 343.

daedalius

Oh man, map is so pretty!

The only playlist I want to play on right now is Premium, because I really have no desire to play regular BTB with forgeworld 100% of the time.

Homeboyd said:
Edit: Gabo, got some race maps? Let's see em.
Not really, I tried making one but rage quitted :lol.

How's the Infection thing, I haven't received any feedback on my Breakpoint variant yet and the ForgeGAF thread is a wasteland.

I suppose you guys are really busy.

Tawpgun

ncsuDuncan said:
I'm trying to decide.

I was spoiled by my super cheap hotel in Seattle since it was within walking distance. The BCEC doesn't have very many hotels close by and none of them are cheap. The problem with getting one further away is that cab fare becomes a factor.

If I can find an inexpensive hotel close to public transportation I'll probably go for it. Might try to smooth-talk my way into a media badge this time.

The T (subway) is only $2 per line, and $1.70 if you get a Charlie Card which you can get for free. (Then you put money on it)

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/
Looking at the map, the red line Broadway stop drops you off a few blocks from the convention center.

South Station might be even closer. So if you can get a hotel somewhere where the T runs it shouldn't be that bad, just go to google maps and select transit as one of the options.

By the looks of it its about a 45 minute-hour walk from where I live, but I'm still going to take the T.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Striker said:
Thank God for the Classic variant.

The heavy placements of the power weapons reminds me of their decisions in Highlands, also, which is odd. Neither map needs all those.

Reminds me of Ivory Tower too. Sniper, Rockets, Sword and Shotgun.

feel

omg.kittens said:
The Living Dead numbers always leave me speechless. I just don't get it.
It's not like there's quality gameplay being provided in the supposed main playlists. People might as well shoot "zombies" while they wait for Halo to return to decency.

Gabotron ES said:
That playlist is basically Alpha Zombies on Swordbase the whole time, it just shows how most Reach players will play whatever shit you give them, broken or not.

Living Dead rant #8

Turn friendly fire off.

Id be happy for the none "core" gametypes to be relegated back to weekend playlists at this point. Goodbye griffball and infection

Letters said:
It's not like there's quality gameplay being provided in the supposed main playlists. People might as well shoot "zombies" while they wait for Halo to return to decency.

But by the same token its not like the zombies playlist is anything special. You can get a much better experience on games like Left 4 Dead.

I dont get it either.

Halo 4 will be a Left 4 Dead clone confirmed?

Tawpgun

Steelyuhas said:
Scratch that, there is two grenade launchers meaning there is 7 power weapons on a 4v4 map.

What the hell?

Remember Highlands?

Certain Affinity and 343 have a fetish for power weapons.

Top Bottom