• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

TOM T 117

Neo Member
Striker said:
Battle Canyon: Rockets, Sniper, grenade launcher, sword... overkill much? Oh, shotguns in the bases. :lol
Problem: The map is unbalanced because red team is more likely to get rockets.
Solution: Add as many power weapons as possible so that it doesn't matter.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Remember Highlands?

Certain Affinity and 343 have a fetish for power weapons.

Yeah, but at least Highlands is an 8v8 map, so it makes a little more sense (still doesn't make sense).

A 4v4 map though. I don't understand how anyone thought that was a good idea to put 7 power weapons on a map that will have 8 players on it.

WTF are these caves?

If only someone knew what they were doing and could just edit the maps with more correct numbers of power weapons.

Oh well nobody like that exists that I know of!

Striker

TOM T 117 said:
Problem: The map is unbalanced because red team is more likely to get rockets.
Solution: Add as many power weapons as possible so that it doesn't matter.
Taking account for AA's like Jetpack, anything is possible. Still overkill.

Steelyuhas said:
Scratch that, there is two grenade launchers meaning there is 7 power weapons on a 4v4 map.

What the hell?
Two grenade launchers, plus each shotgun in the base. It's absolutely strange decision making.

- Skill searching is tighter in certain playlists now

Capture-11.jpg

Team Snipers is obviously not one of those playlists then.

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah, but at least Highlands is an 8v8 map, so it makes a little more sense (still doesn't make sense).

A 4v4 map though. I don't understand how anyone thought that was a good idea to put 7 power weapons on a map that will have 8 players on it.

Reflection and Countdown are nightmares with merely one shotgun and sword each. I fear 7 power weapons will make it unplayable.

Havok

Steelyuhas said:

Don't worry, look at Highlands' changelog. Two weeks after release the power weapon spawn timers will be marginally increased and the amount of spare ammo in the weapons will marginally decrease! Then we can decide that it's perfect and never touch the map again despite doing literally nothing to shotgun spawn timers or terrible weapon placement! That's pretty awesome right? Guys? Hello?

The solution to the rocket imbalance on classic Beaver Creek was to create a sniper imbalance, not an everything-in-the-world imbalance.

thee henery said:
Reflection and Countdown are nightmares with merely one shotgun and sword each. I fear 7 power weapons will make it unplayable.

Thank god for the classic variant or they would have absolutely ruined an awesome map.

Havok said:
Don't worry, look at Highlands' changelog. Two weeks after release the power weapon spawn timers will be marginally increased and the amount of spare ammo in the weapons will marginally decrease! Then we can decide that it's perfect and never touch the map again despite doing literally nothing to shotgun spawn timers or terrible weapon placement! That's pretty awesome right? Guys? Hello?

The solution to the rocket imbalance was to create a sniper imbalance, not an everything-in-the-world imbalance.
Yeah. The fact that 343 hasn't touched Highlands' weapon placements doesn't leave me too hopeful for Battle Canyon.

Homeboyd

Dax01 said:
Yeah. The fact that 343 hasn't touched Highlands' weapon placements doesn't leave me too hopeful for Battle Canyon.
The best suggestion I would have is to prepare a variant you believe to be more suitable and let us try to work it in through the back-end at CC. Those guys are far too busy right now to concern themselves with that type of work.

Plus, we're happy to do the testing and provide feedback so they can make decisions at a high level rather than having to do the grunt-work themselves.

Not saying they wouldn't do it, I just know they have higher priorities at the moment.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
Were shotguns in the base in the original? I shuddered at bit when I saw them there. Two shotguns and a sword on a CQC map...

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Oh snap, just got an email notifying me that Glasslands is waiting for me at the library. I know what I'm doing all day (after I finish my mountain of homework)!

Steelyuhas said:
Scratch that, there is two grenade launchers meaning there is 7 power weapons on a 4v4 map.

What the hell?
Right? How the hell could they think that's a good idea? Sounds like some Action Sack joke variant or something.

Hypertrooper said:
I feel sorry for the one guy who doesn't belong to the cool guys. :^(
:lol

TOM T 117

Neo Member
GhaleonEB said:
Were shotguns in the base in the original? I shuddered at bit when I saw them there. Two shotguns and a sword on a CQC map...
Those shotguns used to be pistols/BRs (the only BRs on the map iirc)

feel

GhaleonEB said:
It was just one in one of the ends of the stream in the middle of the map.

GhaleonEB

TOM T 117 said:
Those shotguns used to be pistols/BRs
That's quite the upgrade. I'm already imagining trying to get in and get a flag out from the team that has sword and shotgun(s) camping the flag. I'm kinda hoping the setup in the video was a ruse.
Letters said:
It was just one in one of the ends of the stream in the middle of the map.
Centrally placed, which makes sense for a power weapon. Having the shotgun in the open is the kind of placement philosophy I've been hoping to see more of - power weapons shouldn't be in their location of ideal use.

Putting shotguns in small, CQC bases reminds me of the rockets and sniper placement on Highlands, which is disastrous on that map.

Again, really hoping someone was messing with us. Would be funny if so. Not so funny if not...I want to play on Battle Canyon because I really like the extensions to the map in that variant. But with that kind of weapon load out, I'll probably stay away.

Homeboyd said:
The best suggestion I would have is to prepare a variant you believe to be more suitable and let us try to work it in through the back-end at CC. Those guys are far too busy right now to concern themselves with that type of work.

Plus, we're happy to do the testing and provide feedback so they can make decisions at a high level rather than having to do the grunt-work themselves.

Not saying they wouldn't do it, I just know they have higher priorities at the moment.
Is your Blueprint group rocking it again bro? I may want to do some testing on my Highlands invasion variant but the ForgeGAF thread looks pretty dead to me :/

MrBig

Ugh, I'm going to have to cancel my CEA pre-order.
Have other priorities for my money, and school work is building up already.
And then there's Skyrim.

Homeboyd

Gabotron ES said:
Is your Blueprint group rocking it again bro? I may want to do some testing on my Highlands invasion variant but the ForgeGAF thread looks pretty dead to me :/
Yeah definitely. We're just getting into revamping everything for the kinds of needs it looks 343 will need from us. Stop by... could definitely use your input/advice.

Edit: Invite open to all Gaffers

MrBig said:
And then there's Skyrim.
Gaf, let's get CEA for this man.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
MrBig said:
And then there's Skyrim.
Don't lie, it's the Battle Canyon power weapons that's making you cancel it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
MrBig said:
And then there's Skyrim.
I want you to know you're making the right decision. That is, if you're getting the PC version of Skyrim, in which case ∞ re-playability.

Though you won't be touching that school work if you get Skyrim, maybe CEA is the better choice.

GhaleonEB said:
Centrally placed, which makes sense for a power weapon. Having the shotgun in the open is the kind of placement philosophy I've been hoping to see more of - power weapons shouldn't be in their location of ideal use.

Putting shotguns in small, CQC bases reminds me of the rockets and sniper placement on Highlands, which is disastrous on that map.

Again, really hoping someone was messing with us. Would be funny if so. Not so funny if not...I want to play on Battle Canyon because I really like the extensions to the map in that variant. But with that kind of weapon load out, I'll probably stay away.

Along with map design going down the toilet, there has been a trend of awful power weapon placement on maps of late as well.

I'm still debating whether or not I should cancel my CEA pre-order, but I think it's a damn shame I'll be missing out on that Grunt Funeral skull if I do.

Blue Ninja said:
I'm still debating whether or not I should cancel my CEA pre-order, but I think it's a damn shame I'll be missing out on that Grunt Funeral skull if I do.

Just buy it on newegg for $30 and use the free 3 day shipping.

Hypertrooper said:
He isn't from the States.

I was afraid of that.

MrBig

Plywood said:
I want you to know you're making the right decision. That is, if you're getting the PC version of Skyrim, in which case ∞ re-playability.

Though you won't be touching that school work if you get Skyrim, maybe CEA is the better choice.
Well skyrim I'm getting no matter what since I'm getting it for free (PC) for doing some work for a friend.
I'm going to have to severely restrict myself
Although I can make the argument that, since the majority of my work is producing art, that I'm using the it as inspiration :lol

Homeboyd said:
Yeah definitely. We're just getting into revamping everything for the kinds of needs it looks 343 will need from us. Stop by... could definitely use your input/advice.

Edit: Invite open to all Gaffers
Sweet, I had great fun testing maps with some Blueprint folks.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Hah, I did the opposite: cancelled my Skyrim pre-order. I wasn't a huge fan of Oblivion, and I wanna wait to see if Skyrim will be significantly different.

I'm definitely not skipping CEA.

Blue Ninja said:

Im in the same boat, what do people forecast for the price in like 3 months time? If its not going to drop significantly then I might aswell buy it now, but I have a nagging feeling that it may be like 15ish by January. What do people think?

GhaleonEB said:

Ok thats pretty damn epic lol, I think I need to get my hands on Skyrim at some point.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
Oh, god, what have I done? :-O

But no, seriously, the way enemies scaled to the player's leveling up was one of my biggest complaints about Oblivion, so I'm glad that's been tweaked. I've never had a problem with that in Fallout. My other big complaint was how dull and unresponsive melee combat felt... And that doesn't look to be much better in Skyrim. But maybe I'll play a mage or archer character, and just skip melee combat entirely? I dunno. Regardless, I'll feel a lot better about the purchase when it drops down to $40 or so.

heckfu said:
Not enough Skyward Sword talk on this board. Not enough at all.
Dude, it's my most anticipated game of the fall. I bought a Wii just for Zelda. Can't frickin wait.

Cranzor

I played a lot of Halo 3 for about 3 years and played a little bit of Reach but had to get rid of my 360 earlier this year. Have there been any big changes/updates from around January to now? I'm getting a 360 back around Christmas time and I'll definitely start playing Reach again, just want to know what I've missed.

Retro

Had some ideas on how to improve my old Moonpool map so I'm itching to jump into Forge.

heckfu said:
Not enough Skyward Sword talk on this board. Not enough at all.

Halo: CEA is the only thing that's going to make the 5 days before Skyward Sword bearable.

And then I have a week and a half to beat Zelda before Terraria 1.1 comes out and completely devours the month of December.

GhaleonEB

xxjuicesxx said:
All these games will be forgotten in time.

Besides Halo. You should all try that game some more guys.
I'm digging today's Challenges, and will romp through them.

I've been keen for Campaign Challenges lately. Whenever they stack to over 5,000 cR or so and don't involve Legendary/no deaths, I do them trying for flawless cowboys. I'm just too aggravated with the state of Reach matchmaking lately to play much more of it.

Havok

Cranzor said:
I played a lot of Halo 3 for about 3 years and played a little bit of Reach but had to get rid of my 360 earlier this year. Have there been any big changes/updates from around January to now? I'm getting a 360 back around Christmas time and I'll definitely start playing Reach again, just want to know what I've missed.
There was a title update, giving them some more options to play with, but we won't know what changes go universal for a while.

Playlist quality is the same as ever, possibly worse depending on what you like to play. If you aren't way into Slayer, best of luck finding something fun to play. Welcome back to Reach.

Top Bottom