• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Was there or is there a Halo: Grasslands discussion in here at any time? I started reading it last night. About 50 pages in. Liking it so far. Extremely psyched to be reading something in the post Halo 3 world. I've longed for a sequel to Ghosts of Onyx since it came out and now it's finally here.

ToyMachine228 said:
Was there or is there a Halo: Grasslands discussion in here at any time? I started reading it last night. About 50 pages in. Liking it so far. Extremely psyched to be reading something in the post Halo 3 world. I've longed for a sequel to Ghosts of Onyx since it came out and now it's finally here.
If you finish the book, post your impression and I'm going to discuss with you. If you want to read other people's impression, you should start reading this thread at page 10 or 5(if you use 100posts/page)

If you want, I can post the posts. But otherwise you should finish reading first. :)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
ToyMachine228 said:
I just got it today, so I'll chime in, too.

Hypertrooper said:
If you finish the book, post your impression and I'm going to discuss with you. If you want to read other people's impression, you should start reading this thread at page 10 or 5(if you use 100posts/page)

If you want, I can post the posts. But otherwise you should finish reading first. :)

Thank you sir! I'll just post my impressions in here when I'm finished. If some major events wow me while reading them I might post in excitement in the meantime.

heckfu

Banned
Was just watching Lollapalooza 2010 on Palladia and Devo was on. My roommate, not a Halo player or Gaffer asked me if that's what Devo(lution) was named after. Apparently some of you guys are household names!

Kuroyume

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
You're trying something impossible in my opinion. The layout is already weak. Red team has a big advantage over Blue team. They can pick up a power weapon directly(GL) and the sniper is fast reachable for them too. Blue team spawn at the landing pad right? As you can see, each PW has the nearly the same distance for them. And then the spawns. If you pick up the sniper, a enemy will spawn directly next to you. Like I said, you burden yourself a impossible task...

I think the team that spawns above the other has the advantage. I guess that would be the blue team? Yeah, the other team gets the sniper but usually everyone's fighting to get up to the highest ramp anyway so...

HiredN00bs said:

Uploaded for trolling purposes.

My main problem with uncaged is the narrow walkways which can make it feel like an olypic balance beam; fine in something like Snipers, a disaster when there's jetpackers and nades everywhere. Nades are already a problem in Reach - combine them with the walkways of the cage and it's bullshit central.

kylej

Banned
Only have money for either CE or Blops 2. OG long-time Halo friends all play COD now. My beloved HaloGAF peeps will only play CE.

Sophie's choice right now.

FyreWulff

Plywood said:
It's just that the cinematic 24fps framerate and the dynamic 15fps webcam framerate are much more preferable than a locked 30fps.

Considering Forge World's base geometry is about skybox quality throughout, and they were going to have the rest of Forge World as the skybox for the separate versions, FW's size doesn't really factor into framerate issues. Seeing as how you can get them on Tempest as well. The parts of the map you cannot see are not rendered and are heavily LOD'd anyway. I think they were talking about fitting the map all into RAM, and you'll notice the map is basically 3 textures: rock, grass, and sand.

All keeping them separate maps would have done is make the artists want to put more detail in, and now you're back at square one.

Bunch of dynamic objects + no ability to set up vis portals for Forge maps = sometimes you're just going to have drops.

Also, I can't confirm it in any way,but it seems zooming in with binocs or a weapon forces everything in your view to the highest LOD available, even if it's far away. I've had scenarios like: I'm playing ONI Sword Base, and come upon the area where I have to turn on the AA gun. I can see tons of Covies and two grunts in ghosts and the framerate is just fine. I went to zoom in on the grunt ghosts to see what type of grunt they were and the framerate tanks - even though I'm looking at less enemies and less level, the LOD detail jumps up on the things visible within my zoom.

kylej said:
Only have money for either CE or Blops 2. OG long-time Halo friends all play COD now. My beloved HaloGAF peeps will only play CE.

Buy CEA. For the $17 buy yourself a large dish of ice-cream. I'm allowing you to eat that much ice-cream, even if your parents say no.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Damn, I still have over 2 hours of footage from MLG Orlando but I'm just so lazy to go through it all and make one big video. Might just post little clips here and there.

FyreWulff

Tashi0106 said:
Damn, I still have over 2 hours of footage from MLG Orlando but I'm just so lazy to go through it all and make one big video. Might just post little clips here and there.

Do it. But that's the problem when you collect a bunch of video for stuff, you sit down and go "oh fuck I actually have to edit this down".

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Were you guys being dicks to the poor tollbooth lady?
KuGsj.gif

Homeboyd

daedalius said:
Man, just did The Package for the daily... that video lag in the last section is just nuts.
About to run it myself.. I've tried THREE full voting rounds to get Holdout for the daily and haven't seen the map yet. Going through number four now.

Edit: Success! 4 rounds...

GhaleonEB

I did New Alexandria for the two Challenges today, then one game of FF Doubles on Holdout where my buddy quit off the bat. Enjoyable hour of Halo today. Campaign, FF and custom Challenges will bring me back to Reach for games throughout the week, even after Skyrim lands. The core combat is very enjoyable outside of multiplayer.

FyreWulff

All I know is that I was borrowing MW2 from someone. I got to a point where we had to hold a house on top of a hill with sniper rifles and claymores then they took it back and I haven't played it since. People have told me that was a better ending for the game for me than the actual one.

Kuroyume

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
It looks exactly like MW2 and you know it.

They have all looked the same to me outside of WaW and that was mainly because of the time it's set in. Anyway, I would go with MW3 simply because even if you ignore SP and Co-op you're still getting a meatier multiplayer part.

Karl2177

FyreWulff said:
All I know is that I was borrowing MW2 from someone. I got to a point where we had to hold a house on top of a hill with sniper rifles and claymores then they took it back and I haven't played it since. People have told me that was a better ending for the game for me than the actual one.
I have no idea what mission that was. The only thing remotely similar was Heat in CoD4.

heckfu

Banned
Steely, I wanted to debate your tweet about BCS but my account is locked so you wont see it. Follow me so I can show you the ropes about some SEC football, son.

Karl2177 said:
I have no idea what mission that was. The only thing remotely similar was Heat in CoD4.

He's probably talking about when Roach and Ghost assault Makarov's hideout in MW2. Shame he stopped there, considering the ending to MW2 is fantastic (as is the rest of the campaign). Pure fun from beginning to end.

Havok

So, Temptation is in BTB. First time I've ever seen a DLC map in that playlist.

It's still really bad. Just an update.

kylej said:
Juices aka World's Greatest BK you are needed in this thread I think http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451190

Meh GAF cares way too much about shit. Most of them are basement dwelling mouth breathers who want to suck video game industry employees off any chance they can in hopes of being good enough at said act to grab a spot as a dark room cheesy poof eating game tester.

HiredN00bs said:

Like I know we had differences and now I kinda like playing with you but I think you need to get over this yoink stuff.

1. Its funny.
2. Its funny to see if you can get the kill before it finishes.
3. Its a video game.

As for what game to get, sell LA Noire and get another copy of Halo Reach Kyle seriously why would you get a GTA game where you play some stupid detective bullrolecrapplay?

If you want to get a different game get HOMM6 for the PC.

Kibbles

Slightly Live said:
Were you guys being dicks to the poor tollbooth lady?
KuGsj.gif
I love how the last lady asks if it's going on youtube and then lets them go for free after some toll-booth trivia
KuGsj.gif

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
As for what game to get, sell LA Noire and get another copy of Halo Reach Kyle seriously why would you get a GTA game where you play some stupid detective bullrolecrapplay?

LA Noire rules. Not my fault you drive a Fedex truck from like 2pm to 10pm. That's my prime gaming time, baby. Weekends I'm doing shit.

http://www.twitch.tv/ninja - Now's a good time to tune in to see a man (FearItself) mentally break down live on camera.

kylej said:
LA Noire rules. Not my fault you drive a Fedex truck from like 2pm to 10pm. That's my prime gaming time, baby. Weekends I'm doing shit.

http://www.twitch.tv/ninja - Now's a good time to tune in to see a man (FearItself) mentally break down live on camera.

LA Noire does not rule. Its awful its basically like reading a book except not as good of a story and way too many pacing issues.

I'm in an office desk job also not a driver. I don't even work for Fedex Ground/Freight.

I'd tune into that for a bit but I'm about to go win free chicken wings for a year.

Ramirez

kylej said:

On the one hand, you have a game that's just gonna put a band-aid on a shotgun wound, and the other hand you have a game that has gotten worse with every iteration since MW. Tough choice, really.

LA Noire rules.

Wait, WAT?

Kyle, I thought you had good taste.

heckfu said:
Steely, I wanted to debate your tweet about BCS but my account is locked so you wont see it. Follow me so I can show you the ropes about some SEC football, son.

Following.

Stanford has been getting fucked in the BCS standings since it came out this year. A couple of weeks ago they were below Boise St., which is just ridiculous. I understand that the SEC is great, but I think Stanford is the best team in the country, and from a major conference, I don't think you should be below a team that has lost. Doesn't matter much though, because Stanford plays Oregon next week.

Havok said:
So, Temptation is in BTB. First time I've ever seen a DLC map in that playlist.

It's still really bad. Just an update.

Is that the Tempest variant with Banshee's on it?

As for the COD debate, I don't have any interest in MW3. It's not going to be as good as MW1, and I think that BF3 is more fun than any of the COD's, so for me it would be a waste of 60 bucks.

kylej said:
I have superb taste. I don't expect a Steelers fan to be able to understand.

Goddammit, I have a headache from that game.

kylej

Banned
xxjuicesxx said:
LA Noire does not rule. Its awful its basically like reading a book except not as good of a story and way too many pacing issues.

I'm reading Ellroy at the same time if that makes you feel better :eek:)

Ramirez said:
Wait, WAT?

Kyle, I thought you had good taste.

I have superb taste. I don't expect a Steelers fan to be able to understand.

Good point Ramirez I think after Morrowind that whole setup they have just doesn't do it for me anymore, too stale perhaps.

I mean yea those were great back in the day but I feel nothing of value has been added just a new world with better graphics each iteration.

The stories. My god I can't remember a single one since Dragonfall. Morrowind was fun though.

All of them flavors of the week deal with the minor pain of not playing it for a week and it goes away and you save yourself 60 dollars.

N I thought you meant Morrowind. LOL. CoD's are fun as shit.

heckfu

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
Following.

Stanford has been getting fucked in the BCS standings since it came out this year. A couple of weeks ago they were below Boise St., which is just ridiculous. I understand that the SEC is great, but I think Stanford is the best team in the country, and from a major conference, I don't think you should be below a team that has lost. Doesn't matter much though, because Stanford plays Oregon next week.

I dunno, I'm from Alabama but a Tennessee fan so I obviously have an SEC bias, but Alabama definitely is a great team. Haven't seen a ton of Stanford this year but I think everyone everywhere can agree the BCS is a bankrupt system. Playoffs FTW.

FyreWulff

Temptation is one of those maps that was added apparently out of nowhere and I've never been able to get it in MM, even when trying, just so I could add it to the map repository.

I didn't see it come through the CC either

heckfu said:
I dunno, I'm from Alabama but a Tennessee fan so I obviously have an SEC bias, but Alabama definitely is a great team. Haven't seen a ton of Stanford this year but I think everyone everywhere can agree the BCS is a bankrupt system. Playoffs FTW.

Playoff is a winner for sure. I don't think any team has an offense and defense combo as good as Stanford. I'm hoping for Stanford v LSU championship game at this point, I think it would be a great matchup.

Top Bottom