• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Review Thread

Jex

Kholdstare said:
Games Radar

1up

:O
Yeah, it's pretty shocking. For the record, I trust Thierry Nguyen implicitly, so I imagine the 1up comment is far more accurate.

Everdred

Ramirez said:
I don't believe for a second that they had anything to do with the pricing, that was all Microsoft. Microsoft made them hold back maps to pack into Halo Wars LE's and tie them into the ODST disc, these maps were practically done in August 08 around PAX and they didn't come out with ODST until a year later. I kind of hope with their next franchise they have more control over their DLC plans.
I hope so too but I fear that Activision won't be any better. I hope they prove me wrong!

zlatko

Banned
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
But here's the deal: I wasn't bashing the game, I took a cheapshot. Reach has more than met my expectations. In some areas, exceeded them. It's the collective ignorance of most (not all) of the community here.

Like watership, he acknowledged that halo doesn't click with everyone instead of making a smug little comment like someone would have. I respect that. He didn't write off the guy's impression. Some people are so engrossed and invested, they can't mind to comprehend that maybe not everyone shares the same opinion and refuse to discuss, instead they write off them off or whatever. Hell that's why I posted my 'rant' here and not the OT, because I at least have enough respect to not "shit up" the official thread.

I fully agree. People get way too protective of their "babies." For me the amount of hype around Gears 2 was probably the level of hype people felt for Halo 3 or Reach in this case. So when I was the first one in my friends circle to start pointing out the flaws they were like WTF R YOU TALKING BOUT NOOB?! I think it finally started to settle into their heads more that the game was more over hyped and under evaluated when they saw that I wasn't online at all anymore. The guy who was the most excited and the best at the game (was top 500 for 3 different game types) in the circle just stepping away. People just have to learn to open their minds to the idea that, yes an over hyped sequel to something you loved MIGHT IN FACT not be worth all its praise.

I'm curious to see the 7 and below marks for Reach that aren't pure trolling for hits. Those reviews when compare/contrasted with the gloating 10's tend to help you see the middle ground for what a game actually is in many ways.

Ramirez

Everdred said:
I hope so too but I fear that Activision won't be any better. I hope they prove me wrong!

Yea, I know Activision is just as bad as MS when it comes to their DLC pricing/planning, but perhaps this was a part of the deal that was worked out before hand, one can hope. Otherwise we'll be seeing map packs of the 1200 point variety. :p

Smokey

Ramirez said:
At least say bye next time before you leave the room, don't leave me there, cold and lonely.

lol

Food was calling me!

Also I like how you just stroll in with your crew with your Old Spice Swag Rating at a high level and slaughter everybody.

Smokey said:
. . .

i will not comment on this subject, since pokemon is what got me my original tag and banning in the first place.

That was a cheapshot if you're wondering, isn't true (duh). But come on...pokemon is pretty epic.

wizword

Banned
rush777 said:
Hoooollly shit boys I'm ready to go!!! I'm suprised it's getting such great reviews but very pleased.
This is the lowest reviewed halo game besides halo ODST. I don't understand why people are surprised that it got high reviews since every other halo game got great reviews. This game got worse reviews across the board compared to halo 3. I don't know what to expect with this game but, the reviews honestly worry me a little that the campaign is going to be shit.

wizword said:
This is the lowest reviewed halo game besides halo ODST. I don't understand why people are surprised that it got high reviews since every other halo game got great reviews. This game got worse reviews across the board compared to halo 3. I don't know what to expect with this game but, the reviews honestly worry me a little that the campaign is going to be shit.

What?

Jex

wizword said:
but, the reviews honestly worry me a little that the campaign is going to be shit.
9vf76pjpg.png

I haven't read any of the reviews saying that, in fact some of them say it has the best campaign :lol

wizword said:

First off, it has the same MetaCritic average as Halo 3 right now and not all the reviews are in. Secondly, numerous reviews have claimed it is the best Halo campaign yet, read the quotes in the opening post.

I mean Christ, how many perfect scores does it take to appease someone? It already has ten.

big ander

Shishka said:
Well then. I know I'll be picking up a copy, at least.
Shishka, how's it going?

wizword said:
What Jesus said. Looks like most of the reviewers are calling it an amazing game.

rush777

wizword said:

I guess I'll have to gloss over the reviews again, but I don't remember too many negative comments regarding the campaign.

BeeDog

Great reviews! My only real experience of Halo is Halo 1 on PC many years ago (wasn't really super-impressed), and Halo 3 split-screening with my cousin (great fun). Since I don't have a 360 but am still curious about this title, I checked the GameTrailers video review. Some very minor impressions from a non-360-owning gamer (don't kill me please!)...:

Gameplay-wise, the game looks great and distinctive from pretty much every other FPS franchise. The things I remember from Halo 3 are still there (good, unpredictable AI and larger-than-usual battlezones), but seemingly improving on them in many ways. The graphics are not bad at all, but for some reason I was never a fan of Halo's art as all; the techy alien art direction works, but I don't find it much more appealing than that. On the plus side, at least the Halo games don't look like any other FPS games on the market, I guess.

Of course, since I haven't followed the games that closely, the story doesn't make any sense to me. But what struck me with the GameTrailers review and the other short clips I've seen of this game is that the VA is far from what I'd expect from a game of this caliber. Maybe it's isolated to the parts that the videos show, but the characters come off as a bit stereotypical. And since the Halo mythology is supposedly very expansive and fleshed-out (relative to other games), it seems weird to have these cliched characters. But of course, I might be completely wrong though. Not a major knock on the game at all either way.

The game looks like some good fun, and hopefully said cousin will grab the game so we can co-op a bit more. :D

wizword

Banned
DancingJesus said:
First off, it has the same MetaCritic average as Halo 3 right now and not all the reviews are in. Secondly, numerous reviews have claimed it is the best Halo campaign yet, read the quotes in the opening post.

I mean Christ, how many perfect scores does it take to appease someone? It already has ten.
I am a little drunk but I don't give a shit that most sites say that a hyped game is awesome and the best in series becase those 10/10 and other high scores mean nothing to me (these sites say every sequel is best in series, and that is never the case such as god of war 3). I went to immediatly read the low scoring reviews (giantbomb, gamesradar, etc) and most of them didn't like the campaign. I am not trolling and going to bed but these reviews are lower than I expected to be quite honest.

ultron87

1up said:
Without spoiling anything further, the campaign ultimately unfolds into a grand re-telling of the Battle of Thermopylae

That quote makes me amazingly excited.

Ever since I read the end of Ghosts of Onyx I have wanted such a scenario.

wizword said:
I am a little drunk but I don't give a shit that most sites say that a hyped game is awesome and the best in series becase those 10/10 and other high scores mean nothing to me (these sites say every sequel is best in series, and that is never the case such as god of war 3). I went to immediatly read the low scoring reviews (giantbomb, gamesradar, etc) and most of them didn't like the campaign. I am not trolling and going to bed but these reviews are lower than I expected to be quite honest.

I think it's best you get some rest. :lol

big ander

wizword said:
Man what you're basically saying is "Well yeah there are 10/10 reviews but if you look at only the more negative reviews the reviews aren't that good." :lol
BeeDog said:
Great reviews! My only real experience of Halo is Halo 1 on PC many years ago (wasn't really super-impressed), and Halo 3 split-screening with my cousin (great fun). Since I don't have a 360 but am still curious about this title, I checked the GameTrailers video review. Some very minor impressions from a non-360-owning gamer (don't kill me please!)...:

Gameplay-wise, the game looks great and distinctive from pretty much every other FPS franchise. The things I remember from Halo 3 are still there (good, unpredictable AI and larger-than-usual battlezones), but seemingly improving on them in many ways. The graphics are not bad at all, but for some reason I was never a fan of Halo's art as all; the techy alien art direction works, but I don't find it much more appealing than that. On the plus side, at least the Halo games don't look like any other FPS games on the market, I guess.

Of course, since I haven't followed the games that closely, the story doesn't make any sense to me. But what struck me with the GameTrailers review and the other short clips I've seen of this game is that the VA is far from what I'd expect from a game of this caliber. Maybe it's isolated to the parts that the videos show, but the characters come off as a bit stereotypical. And since the Halo mythology is supposedly very expansive and fleshed-out (relative to other games), it seems weird to have these cliched characters. But of course, I might be completely wrong though. Not a major knock on the game at all either way.

The game looks like some good fun, and hopefully said cousin will grab the game so we can co-op a bit more. :D
I don't have any experience with Reach yet, but it's very possible the characters could come off as cliche. I'm hoping they won't, but even if they do it's not a big deal. As long as the narrative has the "save the world" motivation driving it, and driving it well, the story can keep me going. In ODST, the characters were pretty cliche, really. But the story was still damn exciting because the game successfully conveyed what we were fighting for and what was at stake.
The mythology alone is really expansive; and many of the characters in the expanded works are actually very interesting. Along with what we know about him from the books, John is a great character. Cortana is great, and so is Halsey. Kurt is a great character, and so are many of the SIIIs. When you dissect the terminals (thanks AJ), the Librarian, Diadact, and Mendicant Bias are all amazing. But even without those characters, there's something about the Halo universe that is unique enough to make it really malleable, it seems. Between the Forerunners, the Covenant, and the depiction of humans, there's a TON to be done with the universe.
That doesn't mean Reach is going to be super-complicated though; sounds like the story is straight forward. That's a good thing. I also hope the characters are great though.

Smokey

wizword said:

:lol :lol

it's probably in your best interest to go ly dow

NeXuSDK

FYI, I gave it a perfect score also (6/6):

http://www.hyped.nu/spil/anmeldelse/halo-reach/204 (it's in danish)

Really, this game showcases not only 10 years of accumulated experience in order to perfect a FPS, but also that they have now, again, understood the formulart that Halo: CE the most special game of the pack. It is especially evident with level design and combined with by far the greatest AI ever seen and a very balanced and wide sandbox, this game provides such a fascinating cocktail, that you will experience more fun, thrilling dynamic encounters than in any other game.

Yes, it has its flaws... but it is not many. And the greatness by far overshadows them!

zlatko

Banned
PatzCU said:
I really didn't want to have to buy this. /sigh

LMAO. You thinking the same thought I thought when I purchased my copy a few days ago off Amazon? "Fuck... i can't be the only guy on my friends list when I sign on Live not playing." The one time that happened to me resulted in mass shunning in party chat until I got my copy. :lol

wizword said:
Oh lawdy.

Why don't we just copy and paste this meta discussion on the nature of reviews for hyped games into the review thread for every fall release? Its equally predictable that some people latch onto the lowest review scores, regardless of the consistency of the source (every time, a different reviewer is "cutting through the hype", and another has "lost all credibility", and another is "showing their platform bias").

No one should be surprised the game reviewed well - 3 million plus people played the beta. If Bungie was trying to sneak a stinker past us, they did a terrible job by letting everyone play it months before the release.

And the saddest thing? No one really cares about the content of the reviews. It's all about the goddamn scores. And if you dig deeper, it's always about the score compared to other game X.

*sigh* I guess I'm ranting here, but I'm just about done with review threads here for hyped games. If it's not the cries of "too high" it's the wailing of "too low", all from people who've made up their mind before even playing the game in question. The thought of reading more conspiracy theories in the GT5, Donkey Kong, CoD, LBP2, Kinect, Fable, and Castlevania threads makes me want to claw my eyes out.

Btw, nice written review by shacknews.

Jex

Corky said:
Anybody seen the GT videoreview? Is it spoilery?
Doth an elite wort-wort-wort whilest venturing forth unto battle?
leng jai said:
Wow those quotes in the OP are some of the most vomit inducing examples of hyperbole I've read for a while.
I'm so sorry that people are really excited by Bugnie's grand finale to the Halo franchise.

Chinner

Banned
is that guardian misspelling a genuine mistake or is it a private eye typo joke about the guardian? i can't tell...:lol

wizword

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Oh lawdy.

Why don't we just copy and paste this meta discussion on the nature of reviews for hyped games into the review thread for every fall release? Its equally predictable that some people latch onto the lowest review scores, regardless of the consistency of the source (every time, a different reviewer is "cutting through the hype", and another has "lost all credibility", and another is "showing their platform bias").

No one should be surprised the game reviewed well - 3 million plus people played the beta. If Bungie was trying to sneak a stinker past us, they did a terrible job by letting everyone play it months before the release.

And the saddest thing? No one really cares about the content of the reviews. It's all about the goddamn scores. And if you dig deeper, it's always about the score compared to other game X.

*sigh* I guess I'm ranting here, but I'm just about done with review threads here for hyped games. If it's not the cries of "too high" it's the wailing of "too low", all from people who've made up their mind before even playing the game in question. The thought of reading more conspiracy theories in the GT5, Donkey Kong, CoD, LBP2, Kinect, Fable, and Castlevania threads makes me want to claw my eyes out.

Btw, nice written review by shacknews.
You went well beyond what my opinion was. I just read giantbomb and eurogamer and glossed over the other 20 reviews. They essentialyl said it wasn't as good as halo 3and I trust them. I expected this game to get mass effect 2 review scores and it didn't.

Lakitu

st5fu
What I noticed in a few of these reviews are some really critical remarks of Halo 3: ODST. It didn't justify having a full price-tag, but I thought it was a fun and good experience for the most part. Oh well. Reach sounds great.

Lebron

wizword said:
You went well beyond what my opinion was. I just read giantbomb and eurogamer and glossed over the other 20 reviews. They essentialyl said it wasn't as good as halo 3and I trust them. I expected this game to get mass effect 2 review scores and it didn't.
I thought you were going to bed :lol

Man

Dagbladet - Norwegian paper: 5 out of 6
Reviewer mentions shortcomings but concludes that the multiplayer component secures the given score (like Halo 3 it is mentioned).
Five and a half hour campaign (not on legendary), light graphics update, music tracks not as memorable as in previous games, story a bit disappointing.
MP: cross-game point accumulation (for armor) is appreciated and it is also believed that Headhunter (mp mode) has the potential to become a new a classic. Firefight is much more flexible than in ODST. Conclusion: If you liked the previous two (or all four) you will enjoy this one, if you dropped off due to samey then this might not be enough to convince you to return.

Review focus a bit too much on the negatives imo despite the high score but the guy is reliable and a known fan of the series. http://www.dagbladet.no/2010/09/12/kultur/spill/spillanmeldelse/anmeldelser/xbox_360/13358681/

brain_stew said:
Meh, it was always going to get scores like this even if it sucked.
No, it wasn't.

If there is one game this generation that is hated purely because of its popularity it's the Halo franchise.

It's the best first person shooter that will ever appear on any console platform, period.

-Winnie-

I've been burned by Halo 2 and Halo 3, so I'm incredibly cautious about this...

Should I even consider getting Reach if I don't have LIVE?

Sai-kun

Banned
wizword said:

If that's what you got out of the reviews, it's time to stop taking everything they say to heart.

I can tell you for a fact that this game is better than Halo 3. There is absolutely no area in which I would prefer 3 to Reach. Just...no.

big ander

wizword said:
Huh? The majority of reviews have called Reach better.
Maybe I'm reading different articles than you.

Dragmire

Hm, videogame reviews do tend to be all fanboys and hyperbole, especially right when big games come out. In fact fanboys will eat you alive if you give a game a 9.2 instead of a 9.5 or something.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Jexhius said:
Did people say the same kind of thing when the Starcraft II reviews hit?
By the time reviews hit everyone had already played it.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
You guys sure know how to get angry over childish things

Good reviews, but this seems like a game most people who enjoyed Halo would purchase regardless, so what do I care? Picking up my copy on Tuesday.

Jexhius said:
Did people say the same kind of thing when the Starcraft II reviews hit?

Absolutely not, and I'd suggest it was more likely to receive universal praise than Halo Reach ever was. It's a perfect example.

Top Bottom