• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Review Thread

DodgerSan

leng jai said:
Wow those quotes in the OP are some of the most vomit inducing examples of hyperbole I've read for a while.
What is it with some people?

Eg. I have no interest in the wii, even less in Mario. I can appreciate them, I can see why they are much beloved. By all measure Mario Galaxy is a 'great' game. I get it, but I'm just not the audience. It's not for me.

So when The sequel came out and got glowing reviews (with much hyperbole such as quoted in this op) did I jump into the threads posting these kind of stupid comments? No. Just because it's not for me doesn't mean it's not amazing in it's own right and utterly worthy of all the praise.

Dance In My Blood said:
By the time reviews hit everyone had already played it.
Everyone who cares deeply about Halo Reach and will still be playing it two weeks from now instead of moving onto the next thing... has already played it.

Lakitu

st5fu
DodgerSan said:

Eg. I have no interest in the wii, even less in Mario. I can appreciate them, I can see why they are much beloved. By all measure Mario Galaxy is a 'great' game. I get it, but I'm just not the audience. It's not for me.

So when The sequel came out and got glowing reviews (with much hyperbole such as quoted in this op) did I jump into the threads posting these kind of stupid comments? No. Just because it's not for me doesn't mean it's not amazing in it's own right and utterly worthy of all the praise.

Pay no mind to them. They can't be changed. If it's a popular franchise like GTA or Halo, this is the only response they can muster up instead of actually playing the games themselves and judging it.

If it were bad reviews they'd be like 'lol told you so'

X26

Banned
I'll wait for user reviews, because to be honest as soon as the game was announced the review scores were already decided more or less. Same goes for other big franchises like GTA, Gran Turismo, first party Nintnedo games, and so on

X26 said:
I'll wait for user reviews, because to be honest as soon as the game was announced the review scores were already decided more or less. Same goes for other big franchises like GTA, Gran Turismo, first party Nintnedo games, and so on
User reviews are overwhelmingly positive so far. But since most of them are from the nefarious "HaloGAF", they probably can't be trusted.

Gui_PT

I'll be honest, I was NOT expecting these scores. Very very impressed :D

And :lol at some of the posts in this thread. Calm down people.

V_Arnold

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
I meant 'Requires'. Thanks for pointing that out...wtf, trolling? Not really I actually really want to play reach. But unlike most of 'halogaf' community I don't have my head up my ass.

The first sign which shows that nobody has to take you seriously is trying to find a way to make yourself look in a better light. Usually, when game trolls appear, with the intention to downplay one game, what is the best method to do this? To say all who loves the game are "blind fanboys" (not to mention the words you used...), therefore their opinions were invalid to begin with. Unlike you, the brave eye-opener.

dragct

Gamer365.hu (Hungary)

http://www.gamer365.hu/show-article.php?id=581&article

9.5 / 10

"If we look at the lenght of the campaign, then Reach is a little bit short to being able to qualify as an honorary Halo 4 (6-10 hours for the first time, depending on the difficulty), but the quality is at the maximum in every other way - Bungie have put the last drops of its knowledge into the Halo formula for this goodbye. The final result deserves huge appreciation, and a few years later, when we will look back to the greatest games of the generation, we will definitely remember Reach."

[+]
- Varied campaign with a perfect pace
- Extermely powerful mood
- Amazing atmosphere
- Better graphics
- Armor Ability is a great invention
- Hungarian references

[-]
- A little bit short

I had a feeling this Halo game was going to get a bit of a panning... sort of an overdue "yeah, we shouldn't have given the last halo games such high scores" type of thing.

Glad it didn't though, and it looks like I'll be happy with my pre-order. :D

Lakitu

st5fu
Don't understand length complaints -- they're usually around 6-10 hours long depending on the difficulty (besides Halo 3: ODST)

Man said:
Okay. I'm curious.
Pretty sure the 'We Are ODST' live action ad for Halo 3: ODST had Hungarian in it. Bungie/343 have said they are trying to internationalize the UNSC, to make them more representative of mankind as a whole rather than just an American institution. You can see this in Noble Team, where their accents and backgrounds are quite different.

Feindflug

Man said:
Dagbladet - Norwegian paper: 5 out of 6
Reviewer mentions shortcomings but concludes that the multiplayer component secures the given score (like Halo 3 it is mentioned).
Five and a half hour campaign (not on legendary), light graphics update, music tracks not as memorable as in previous games, story a bit disappointing.
MP: cross-game point accumulation (for armor) is appreciated and it is also believed that Headhunter (mp mode) has the potential to become a new a classic. Firefight is much more flexible than in ODST. Conclusion: If you liked the previous two (or all four) you will enjoy this one, if you dropped off due to samey then this might not be enough to convince you to return.

Review focus a bit too much on the negatives imo despite the high score but the guy is reliable and a known fan of the series. http://www.dagbladet.no/2010/09/12/kultur/spill/spillanmeldelse/anmeldelser/xbox_360/13358681/

I don't know if and how much is this guy a fan of the Halo franchise but after finishing the game I can safely say that the campaign is definitely much more than 5.5 hrs long (maybe he played on Easy? game took me 10-11 hrs on Heroic), the graphics are more than a light upgrade and the music is fantastic.

Reach has the most varied and well paced campaign in a Halo game ever IMO...the level design is top-notch and the improved enemy AI and the Armor Abilities make this the ultimate Halo game gameplay-wise.

Seriously after beating the Campaign and playing a lot of FF (still haven't touched the MP) I can't see how anyone can score this game lower than a 9/10...the content on the disc is enormous, the Halo gameplay is there in it's best form and there is something for everyone...anyway the game is amazing and that's what matters.

It's weird, but Headhunter is serving as a useful barometer for me. As soon as a reviewer thinks Headhunter is "a new classic" or what have you, I know where they stand.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I enjoy the Halo series enough, though I don't consider it a truly great fanchise. I just like the genre a lot so I'll play almost anything FPS flavored.

However...ODST I didn't even finish. I thought it was hands down the worst FPS I've played this gen. Totally boring. I think it brought together the worst aspects of Halo and I just couldn't handle it. By comparison, I finished Soldier of Fortune and Turning Point on 360, and those are terrible games as well. For me not to finish ODST...

So if this is more like the core Halo games I'll rent it and enjoy it. If it's like ODST, I'll pass.

I also don't get the high reviews for this series, as I think it's a pretty average shooter overall. However, I don't play it's multiplayer very much. And that's not a slam against it's fans, so don't take it personally.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Kelegacy said:
I enjoy the Halo series enough, though I don't consider it a truly great fanchise. I just like the genre a lot so I'll play almost anything FPS flavored.

However...ODST I didn't even finish. I thought it was hands down the worst FPS I've played this gen. Totally boring. I think it brought together the worst aspects of Halo and I just couldn't handle it. By comparison, I finished Soldier of Fortune and Turning Point on 360, and those are terrible games as well. For me not to finish ODST...

So if this is more like the core Halo games I'll rent it and enjoy it. If it's like ODST, I'll pass.

I also don't get the high reviews for this series, as I think it's a pretty average shooter overall. However, I don't play it's multiplayer very much. And that's not a slam against it's fans, so don't take it personally.

I'm sorry, but the subjective aspect of taste stretches only thus far. I will not sit here and hear you say you enjoy poop more than strawberry cheesecake.

Feindflug

Kelegacy said:

:lol :lol :lol

Gui_PT

Kelegacy said:

ODST has a very different narrative from "regular" Halo. Maybe it's just not your thing. As for the Multiplayer, it's one of the strongest points of the game. Maybe you should try it sometime.

Lakitu

st5fu
Kelegacy said:

Did 3 different people write this post?

2San

Kelegacy said:
However...ODST I didn't even finish. I thought it was hands down the worst FPS I've played this gen. Totally boring.
I had the same feeling playing the game. I did finish the game though after I found out you could play it co-op as well(I assumed it didn't have co-op considering how the narrative is setup).

Walshicus

Shake Appeal said:
It's weird, but Headhunter is serving as a useful barometer for me. As soon as a reviewer thinks Headhunter is "a new classic" or what have you, I know where they stand.
How do you mean?
I thought Headhunter was brilliant fun, btw.

Kelegacy said:

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. ODST has the best campaign they've made so far.

Chinner

Banned
just a shame tf2 on babby console is so outdated. on the pc its thriving and probably one of the (if not) best multiplayer games ever.

Sir Fragula said:
How do you mean?
I thought Headhunter was brilliant fun, btw.
By far my most hated gametype in the beta. It's the epitome of the 'wacky' free-for-all side of Halo that leaves me cold (see also: FFA Oddball and Juggernaut), and it seems to reward randomness and lucky opportunism over coordination and clever anticipation; in the beta you would invariably spot pairs of Spartans barrelling towards each other with their ARs held down and dying simultaneously, only for a third to waltz in (because they just happened to spawn in the right place at the right time), grab 10 skulls, and win with an instant 'skullamanjaro' because the collection point just happened to move nearby. Hell, I've been that lucky third player and felt bad about it.

That was only the FFA version, though, so I'm looking forward to trying the Team Headhunter Pro variant.

verbum

To me, Halo is like an old friend that has some minor shortcomings but is friendly enough and interesting enough to make me want to visit repeatedly. I was just playing Halo CE and am amazed at how its appeal has endured. As an example, Fallout 3 was a good game but I doubt I'll go back in 5 years and play it again and be entertained. Or GTA, Bioshock, et al. But Halo CE, Halo 2, and Halo 3 are part of that story and game that just tickles something in me and keeps me interested even though I know the ending.
And Bungie has a level of competence that improves the story and gameplay in each chapter.
I would give the whole Halo series a 9 of 10.
Unless 343 Studios does something really, really outstanding, I think Reach will be the final chapter for me. I think too many sequels will spoil the magic.

RSB

Banned
Some people just don't get Halo. I guess they are too accustomed to games with heavily scripted campaigns with close to zero replayability, nonexistent AI, a very limited gameplay sandbox, and noob-friendly multiplayer modes with very limited customization options and a complete lack of balance.

But it's fine, nobody is obligated to like games like Halo, that feature extremely dynamic and replayable campaigns, with insanely good enemy AI, rich and varied gameplay sandbox, and a much more balanced and competitive multiplayer with a crazy amount of customization and a perfect integration of it's ridiculously awesome feauture set.

Bye ;)

PS: Yeah, I know, hyperbole much, but you get my point :)

Dennis

Banned
bhlaab said:
Finally a refined Halo game without the long stretches of boring tedium that we forgot to mention in our previous 10/10 reviews but suddenly remembered for this one. A game that, according to us, truly justifies the months and months of hype and zeitgeist that we generated. For years to come this multi-billion dollar title will be the new standard by which we judge all lesser games with smaller budgets that don't have the financial and social clout to have their each and every flaw curiously overlooked.

bhlaab said:
That game reviewers are the biggest fellating hacks on the planet and it makes me sick to see them flock to royalty en masse because they owe their entire lifeblood to fanboys.

Agree completely. I nominate bhlaab for Poster of the Day.

Some franchises has reviewers licking their boots while other games get slammed for petty things or the ignorance of the reviewer (see Mafia 2 reviews).

Halo: Reach is a great Halo game but some of those reviews are just sad.

Darklord

Banned
I think I'm over the Halo series. I use to be a huge fan and was even super excited for Halo 3 but I can't get the least bit excited over this even after seeing the reviews. I just can't help but think it'll just be another Halo game that reviewers have gone crazy over. I'll probably still buy it but maybe used or on sale later on.

That IGN review is garbage, i am officially done with that site. Anyway i think the Halo series is deserving of the high scores, maybe people focus on the douchey hardcore multiplayer angle and forget how groundbreaking these games have been for console FPS. The gameplay is so accessible and varied plus the controls have the perfect feel.

Arnie

Game of the year. The people hating because great games are getting great review scores need to seriously re-evaluate themselves.

pringles

Nice, looking forward to playing it on monday or tuesday, going through campaign first and then going online and getting absolutely owned by fuckers who have played the game for a month.

luffeN

Played about 90 minutes and just stopped. I have to say I never was a big fan of the core gameplay mechanic and because it seems "perfect" to the million fans out there Bungie won't change it. But everything around the shooting mechanic and how it feels is very well made. AI, sound, multiplayer, there is so much to do but I will never get into it because I can't build up any excitement.

p3tran

Banned
zlatko said:
I'm curious to see the 7 and below marks for Reach that aren't pure trolling for hits.
....!
does not compute!

you will never see such a review.
game is good.

I wish all games where this well-made.

p.s.
oh, and since in the review thread, here's my review that a posted on the OT some days ago..
it's rather short (5 words?) and to the point:

2gwg5sp.jpg

NIN90

I find it quite hilarious how thes publications can review stuff like the multiplayer over the span of 2-4 days. Especially with matchmaking being not really populated.

Video games journalism.

wizword said:
This is the lowest reviewed halo game besides halo ODST.
Let's put this in to context.

1) Halo 3 came out in 2007. The bar has risen considerably since then.
2) With Halo 3, Halo Wars and then Halo ODST last year, one would expect lower scores from the Halo overdose.
3) And yet, this game is still getting ridiculously high review scores.

leng jai

DodgerSan said:

Errr I've got Reach preordered and have little doubt that I'll enjoy it and get my moneys worth. That doesn't change the fact that in all probability those quotes in the OP are ridiculous and made just because the the game has "Halo" in the title.

Brannon

GillianSeed79 said:
I don't get it. I just don't fucking get it. I am buying Reach, but honestly, for the love of God, someone explain it to me. I think it's because I'm old or something. I GET that Halo is this cultural phenomenon. I get that it's multiplayer is near perfect even though I suck at it. I feel like I'm some freak because the Halo series has never clicked with me. I'm not some gaming snob either who hates on Halo because it's popular. I just got done playing MW2. I'm practically an XBOX fanboy. I WANT to love Halo. I just don't fucking get it. Every time a new Halo game comes out the reviews make it sound like the second coming of Jesus. Maybe this time will be different.

Nothing to get. Some people just don't like certain games, no matter how much they try to force themselves to like it, or if they can see all the good in it.

I'm the same way with World of Warcraft. I KNOW there is a great game there, and I love exploring hugetastic worlds. But I get to playing it, and after a few days it's like... I can't do this, get off mah hard drive :mad:

Some things will just never click, make room for things that do.

ElyrionX

I'm not sure whether to buy this or not. I didn't buy ODST because I was (and still am) utterly sick and tired of the Halo experience after three games of essentially the same thing.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
NIN90 said:
I find it quite hilarious how thes publications can review stuff like the multiplayer over the span of 2-4 days. Especially with matchmaking being not really populated.

Video games journalism.
It's more than enough time if the conditions are set up for it - it's not like Reach is an MMO, which would require significantly more time investment for a proper assessment.

ElyrionX said:
I'm not sure whether to buy this or not. I didn't buy ODST because I was (and still am) utterly sick and tired of the Halo experience after three games of essentially the same thing.

Rent if you are unsure.

Jex

ElyrionX said:
Then I'm not sure why you'd even consider checking this out. Sounds like it won't be for you.

Top Bottom