• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Review Thread

Chinner

Banned
ElyrionX said:
I'm not sure whether to buy this or not. I didn't buy ODST because I was (and still am) utterly sick and tired of the Halo experience after three games of essentially the same thing.
rent is the way to go. then if you like it then buby it and we can play online and talk about peter moore.

bj00rn_

Banned
leng jai said:
Errr I've got Reach preordered and have little doubt that I'll enjoy it and get my moneys worth. That doesn't change the fact that in all probability those quotes in the OP are ridiculous and made just because the the game has "Halo" in the title.

Yeah, it's just impossible that Halo Reach can be a great game and that reviewers enjoyed it so much that they want to convey it in their reviews.. If you have a problem with reviews in general, why not start a new thread about it.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm surprised at the calls of hyperbole. It might well be the case in some instances, but Bungie are the only developer who make great console FPS (maybe Valve with L4D next in line), I don't see why it would shock anyone this is the best so far.

Arnie said:
The people hating because great games are getting great review scores need to seriously re-evaluate themselves.

It almost seems that if it reviewed lower they would be more inclined to praise it, quite saddening.

leng ja said:
That doesn't change the fact that in all probability those quotes in the OP are ridiculous and made just because the the game has "Halo" in the title.

Or because it is that good?

Jex

StuBurns said:
I surprised at the calls of hyperbole. It might well be the case in some instances, but Bungie are the only developer who make great console FPS (maybe Valve with L4D next in line), I don't see why it would shock anyone this is the best so far.
There's just something about Halo games that brings out this particular response. When Half Life or some other game gets excellent reviews people don't just accuse the reviewers of being lackeys with no critical eye.

Jexhius said:
There's just something about Halo games that brings out this particular response. When Half Life or some other game gets excellent reviews people don't just accuse the reviewers of being lackeys with no critical eye.
Yeah this never happens to any other top-rated game.

Oh and hey, congrats on your one-day anniversary of being born.

Jex

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yeah this never happens to any other top-rated game.

Oh and hey, congrats on your one-day anniversary of being born.
It certainly does, but it seems to be more apparent when you have a sequel or title in a franchise vs a stand alone title.

When a stand alone game comes out that just does extremely well critically, like Braid or Portal or LBP there's room to talk about the merits of the game itself.

But if it's a squeal/franchise property then people can bring out the ol' "It's just because the game has that well-known name on it" argument.

And thanks!

Wasn't really interested in what the reviews were going to say ( I was expecting high scores) because I'm already sold on this being the best Halo game yet and was too hyped anyway. But from what I've read it looks like this is going to be one fun game.

Just the sheer amount of stuff in the game should keep everyone entertained for a while.

I still think the lack of BR is going to put a lot of people off of plaing this game... Clearly the reviewers are no more than a 30 on Lone Wolves from Halo 3 which at that says a lot. Halo Reach is super casual and for me, the demi god of pro gaming, I just cannot warm up to a literally blooming single shot pea shooter.

The review scores fail to accurately compensate for the lack of BR. Not surprised.

smh

REV 09

I hope the story and storytelling are better. I think that is Halo's weakest aspect. Halo Wars did a better job at conveying the universe than any of the main games. Bungie is just awful at character development. The sandbox Gameplay and incredible ai and mp are unparalleled though.

Gui_PT

REV 09 said:
I hope the story and storytelling are better. I think that is Halo's weakest aspect. Halo Wars did a better job at conveying the universe than any of the main games. Bungie is just awful at character development. The sandbox Gameplay and incredible ai and mp are unparalleled though.

I don't agree with that at all. Bungie created an awesome universe filled with interesting stories and characters. What I don't like is that their best stories and events don't make it into the games. Books usually get the best part of the universe.

Empty

Review scores are pretty much expected, it was never going to beat or match CE critically unless they radically changed the formula RE4 style, but by virtue of the games' quality, amount of content and the size of the franchise, it was always going to be very well regarded still. Way more interested in the online criticism - what people here have to say in a few months than the reviews, now i know they haven't massively screwed up on the fundamentalist.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
NIN90 said:
I find it quite hilarious how thes publications can review stuff like the multiplayer over the span of 2-4 days. Especially with matchmaking being not really populated.

Video games journalism.

You do realize that there were review events allowing journalists to play 30-40 some odd hours of multiplayer, right? So combine that with early access to the full retail (many in the San Fran and LA area had it longer than 2-4 days) and you have a tremendous amount of time with the multiplayer to understand its ins and outs.

K' Dash

Not spoilers really, but don't read if you haven't played the game.

Having finished the campaign I have to say
It's nothing special, really, that's not saying it's not good, it's a good campaign but not the best I've played this year, I can understand the 9 and 10 'cause the multiplayer is the best around from any console.

george_us said:
Nope. I think ODST is the best Halo ever made so if Reach is better then I'll have buy several sets of new pants.

You have good taste, son.

slider

Halo 2 was the last I played (but I really like it as a franchise).

But, I'm too cheap to make a commitment to Gold membership. If I only play the offline am I missing out hugely?

I could easily get a Gold membership if the answer is yes.

Shoogoo

The amount of crap in this thread is appaling

The game gets good reviews because it's good, not because it's Halo.

I'm not a huge Halo fan, but I'll be getting it day one (or day 5 for some of you who've been playing it for a week already) because obviously (like it or not) it is good.

Gui_PT

slider said:
Halo 2 was the last I played (but I really like it as a franchise).

But, I'm too cheap to make a commitment to Gold membership. If I only play the offline am I missing out hugely?

I could easily get a Gold membership if the answer is yes.

Yes

Gui_PT

slider said:
Thanks bud; as I suspected.

Gold membership here I come.

Signed,

slider the cheap bastard.

Doesn't take a lot to convince you :lol

But seriously, the amount of gametypes and customization is just insane. You'd really be missing out.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
REV 09 said:

Nailed it. The story is just so blah and the characters uninteresting. I love scifi but the Halo story is about as exciting as the Wall Street Journal. It's very well thought out and detailed. It's easily the most fully realized universe in gaming ever. But wow is it just dull. No emotion attachment at all. Very clinical.

Kibbles

Yeah went on a 15 game winning streak last night with my friend and a pair of guys we partied up with after a game. We won every single game we played together, but it got late and I was pretty tired so we decided to call it quits. Felt bad for the other guys because we kept matching up with the same people most of the time. :lol

So far the Campaign is amazing, fuck GameTrailers.

slider

Gui_PT said:
Doesn't take a lot to convince you :lol

But seriously, the amount of gametypes and customization is just insane. You'd really be missing out.

:lol

I'm naive. I thought to myself why would Gui_PT lie to me!?

I'd skimmed over a few reviews and your answer was as I expected. But signing up for one game seemed excessive so I was looking for someone to rationalise the decision that'd been nagging me over the last few days.

Gui_PT

RSTEIN said:
Nailed it. The story is just so blah and the characters uninteresting. I love scifi but the Halo story is about as exciting as the Wall Street Journal. It's very well thought out and detailed. It's easily the most fully realized universe in gaming ever. But wow is it just dull. No emotion attachment at all. Very clinical.

Dun agree

slider said:
:lol

I'm naive. I thought to myself why would Gui_PT lie to me!?

I'd skimmed over a few reviews and your answer was as I expected. But signing up for one game seemed excessive so I was looking for someone to rationalise the decision that'd been nagging me over the last few days.

You won't regret it.

Hydranockz said:
I still think the lack of BR is going to put a lot of people off of plaing this game... Clearly the reviewers are no more than a 30 on Lone Wolves from Halo 3 which at that says a lot. Halo Reach is super casual and for me, the demi god of pro gaming, I just cannot warm up to a literally blooming single shot pea shooter.

The review scores fail to accurately compensate for the lack of BR. Not surprised.

smh
it may put off some pros, but i doubt that constitutes 'a lot' of people. i dont think that all of the reviews should focus on changes that will effect competitive mp. the full game contains so much more than that.

Flipyap

Gui_PT said:
I don't agree with that at all. Bungie created an awesome universe filled with interesting stories and characters. What I don't like is that their best stories and events don't make it into the games. Books usually get the best part of the universe.
He's clearly talking about the games, and even if he weren't, only one of the books was written by a Bungie employee (and it focused on a character who in the games is only good for one-dimensional comic relief).
I love the universe, but especially Halo 3's handling of story and characters was terrible. ODST certainly benefited from having such a low-key story.
The Reach cutscenes I just watched looked really promising, so I'm quite optimistic. It would be nice if Bungie finally made some likable human characters, because I feel a bit silly for being so into space lizard drama.

Wort wort wort.

iNvid02

So Bungie are leaving after this? Might be the last good Halo game if
its just Microsoft left to do what they want with it.

Flipyap

Wiggum2007 said:
Ugh that was so stupid, all that pointless buildup hinting that Cortana is going rampant (which would have been super interesting), and then 'lol nah im ok'.
Agreed, but I like how he finally said something funny. That scene made me think Halo is a pretty cool guy.

One question I have for those who have been following the game since the beta: have they changed how the anti-aliasing works? I think that was the cause, the beta seemed a bit blurry/ghosty when moving around. Temporal AA or something? It didn't keep the beta from being any less great, but it would be nice if they changed it.

NathanPGibson said:
Wasn't really interested in what the reviews were going to say ( I was expecting high scores) because I'm already sold on this being the best Halo game yet and was too hyped anyway. But from what I've read it looks like this is going to be one fun game.

Just the sheer amount of stuff in the game should keep everyone entertained for a while.

Most people are thinking the same way as well, review scores to most fans buying on launch are arbitrary.

But I am glad it has gotten high reviews scores in general, Bungie deserve them. They have already produced 4 great games in the Halo universe. Halo 1 and 2 was the biggest reason bought and Xbox 1, Halo 3 was the reason I bought an Xbox 360. Reach is a perfect end to Bungie's development of the Halo series and I am looking forward to Halo 4 from 343.

Ramirez

Linkzg said:
One question I have for those who have been following the game since the beta: have they changed how the anti-aliasing works? I think that was the cause, the beta seemed a bit blurry/ghosty when moving around. Temporal AA or something? It didn't keep the beta from being any less great, but it would be nice if they changed it.

The ghosting is gone in FP, I think some people in the OT said it's still in cutscenes.

REV 09 said:
The Arbiter...

Sounds sexy. Granted that Halo reviews have meant jack shit since Halo 2 made it through the grind unscathed, but everything I've seen from the game itself is pretty convincing.

Halo and Half-Life are the only two FPS franchises I can get at all excited about. Pretty much every other FPS out there is just too grey, dull, uninspired and boring for me to get past the first 60 minutes. (Unless we count MP series too, although perhaps they're technically FPA).

What I love most about Halo is the atmosphere, it just totally draws you in to its world. Also, the superb AI just makes the gameplay far more fun, even on Normal. The attention to detail, colourful and varied environments, music and feeling of being a tiny part of something epic is great. I'm not even talking about the multiplayer.

Halo isn't perfect. It has flaws like everything else that's beautiful.

StuBurns

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Sounds sexy. Granted that Halo reviews have meant jack shit since Halo 2 made it through the grind unscathed, but everything I've seen from the game itself is pretty convincing.
In retrospect Halo 2 gets a lot of shit because it's hard to remember what it was bringing to the MP aspect of gaming. The campaign was a step back, but the MP was the best to ever grace a console. It deserved the praise.

Top Bottom