• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

Joe

Played mission #3 with a friend on co-op, heroic difficulty.

It was tough and took us two tries.

Is it a tough mission or are we doing something wrong? Just felt odd to have a difficult mission like that early on in the game.

Fuchsdh

Damn, that "win a game against the AI after recycling your base" achievement is tough—even cranking the max starting resources, no fog of war, and all the buff skulls, took the better part of twenty minutes to turn the tide against them.

depward

Played mission #3 with a friend on co-op, heroic difficulty.

It was tough and took us two tries.

Is it a tough mission or are we doing something wrong? Just felt odd to have a difficult mission like that early on in the game.

Mission 3 was a bit tricky for me as well. Did you put bases on additional plots (sorry, official naming conventions escape me right now)? Found that helped out.

Johnohno

I wonder if the achievements for the daily and weekly challenges are fixed in this update. I didn't see them mentioned in the patch notes but fingers crossed.

AYF 001

Damn no balance changes. Glad to see fixes rolling out soon though.
I would think that they'd want to give people some time to familiarize themselves with the gameplay before immediately making changes like that. Plus, if a unit is U/OP due to a bug, any performance data from before it is fixed would be void.

FyreWulff

I would think that they'd want to give people some time to familiarize themselves with the gameplay before immediately making changes like that. Plus, if a unit is U/OP due to a bug, any performance data from before it is fixed would be void.

Yeah. A few of those bugs being fixed are de facto balance changes, like garrisoned snipers.

zeox

good to see that a patch is right around the corner, but extremely disappointed to see the minimap bug remains. the MOST annoying bug in the game right now, at least for me :/. At least they are working on getting it fixed I guess

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Anyone else hoping we some of these units in Halo 6? Fighting Iron Clad Hunters and Blisterbacks would be hype AF. Also
of course Brutes we will be fighting in Halo 6, WE BETTER GET CHOPPERS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Akai__

An other thing that I noticed, but always forget to mention:

In Halo: Escalation, they had:

- a Flood Spore wandering arround on the Spirit of Fire.
- Sparrowhawks attacking the Infinity (or an other ship I can't remember).

Both of these things were not mentioned at all in Halo Wars 2. Why even tease people like this, when it leads to nowhere?

Anyone else hoping we some of these units in Halo 6? Fighting Iron Clad Hunters and Blisterbacks would be hype AF. Also
of course Brutes we will be fighting in Halo 6, WE BETTER GET CHOPPERS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been my hope since HW1 and it never happened.

At the very least Brutes need to come back. They are adding good stuff to the vehicle and weapon sandbox. The new Maradeur and the Reaver vehicles would also make the most sense in a future Halo Game. One is basically a Brute Warthog and the other one is an Anti Air Mantis.

Fuchsdh

An other thing that I noticed, but always forget to mention:

In Halo: Escalation, they had:

- a Flood Spore wandering arround on the Spirit of Fire.
- Sparrowhawks attacking the Infinity (or an other ship I can't remember).

Both of these things were not mentioned at all in Halo Wars 2. Why even tease people like this, when it leads to nowhere?

The Flood threat on Spirit of Fire was the subject of a short story in the Halo: Tales from Slipspace anthology.

Been my hope since HW1 and it never happened.

At the very least Brutes need to come back. They are adding good stuff to the vehicle and weapon sandbox. The new Maradeur and the Reaver vehicles would also make the most sense in a future Halo Game. One is basically a Brute Warthog and the other one is an Anti Air Mantis.
5wAl7zW.jpg

Outrun

Finally downloaded Windows 10 in order to play this game, now Windows 10 has completely destroyed my PC.

Eh, should have known better.

I am not aware of Win10 doing that.

Sorry for your loss. Call MS. If they destroyed your PC, they should pay for any and all damages.

I'm tempted to get this if they clean up the UI on the PC.. particularly w/ the keybind menu.. that looked like a nightmare in the videos I saw.

maybe one of these days they will.

Akai__

The Flood threat on Spirit of Fire was the subject of a short story in the Halo: Tales from Slipspace anthology.

Of course it has... Classic 343i...

Is it possible to get a quick summary? Only if you feel like it, of course.

And I know about the Brute Prowler, but it hasn't been used since Halo 3. Just like anything else from the Brutes, really.

And I know about the Brute Prowler, but it hasn't been used since Halo 3. Just like anything else from the Brutes, really.

Hey we got the hammer because of Griffball (of all the things to cater to).

And the crazy awesome Brute Rifle, I guess.

But to be fair, there was a whole Brute Add-On found in Halo 5, so that's at least something if it's still coming.

Who knows what the plan is for Halo 5 right now, I thought we'd get some cross promotion reqs when Halo Wars 2 launched. I also want more Arena maps as the DLC they added had quite a few turds (Overgrowth, Riptide, Molten, Torque).

Fuchsdh

Sure. Flood spore jumps on poor McTech person when they're thawed to run some maintenance, and because Serina is suffering from the effects of rampancy the infestation gets way worse. Anders and Jerome (who's rigged his cryo pod to wake him whenever Anders wakes up) deal with the threat and Anders helps Serina proceed with her final dispensation as she records her "something has happened" VO.

Plus, Jerome tries some pro wrestling moves on the Flood.

Who knows what the plan is for Halo 5 right now, I thought we'd get some cross promotion reqs when Halo Wars 2 launched. I also want more Arena maps as the DLC they added had quite a few turds (Overgrowth, Riptide, Molten, Torque).

Yeah I'm a bit surprised too. There's a Spiker in the H5 game code, so maybe it got postponed or shelved.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Sure. Flood spore jumps on poor McTech person when they're thawed to run some maintenance, and because Serina is suffering from the effects of rampancy the infestation gets way worse. Anders and Jerome (who's rigged his cryo pod to wake him whenever Anders wakes up) deal with the threat and Anders helps Serina proceed with her final dispensation as she records her "something has happened" VO.

Yeah I'm a bit surprised too. There's a Spiker in the H5 game code, so maybe it got postponed or shelved.

So that was resolved? Shame - was hoping to see the return of the Flood.

Akai__

Yup. Maybe it's better if they leave H5 alone now in terms of actual CU. They should do the maintanenance and move on to H6 ASAP. Hopefully it will have more content.

Thanks for sharing. Too bad that they are doing these things in comics/books/whatever.

So that was resolved? Shame - was hoping to see the return of the Flood.

Shame indeed.

nekkid

I mean, it's unlikely that those're the only spores left in the galaxy.

But when there was clearly an in-lore way of bringing them back into the game, 343i killed them off. That tells me they have no interest in bringing them back.

But when there was clearly an in-lore way of bringing them back into the game, 343i killed them off. That tells me they have no interest in bringing them back.

I think it's more that they didn't want to have a threat spawned in a comic intrude on a game... again. Unless I'm misremembering, that spore wasn't in HW1.

m23

On my second play through on heroic and reached the Hold the Line mission. I hate the AI using the leader powers. It's really annoying.

How about giving us back the disruption bomb?

sam777

Anyone got the achievement for doing 1 daily challenge a day for a week?
As I am sure that I have done at least 7 days on the bounce but have not unlocked it yet.

As I am sure that I have done at least 7 days on the bounce but have not unlocked it yet.
Yeah I have not got that achievement either and I have at least done 1 daily challenge since the Ultimate Edition launch. Makes me worried about the weekly achievement not appearing at the end of this month.

I think it's more that they didn't want to have a threat spawned in a comic intrude on a game... again. Unless I'm misremembering, that spore wasn't in HW1.

Yeah the spore was introduced in the comic.. Which was poorly received if I remember correctly.. So if that suddenly colored HW2 most people wouldn't understand. I mean, I guess it's plausible a flood spore could have survived on the ship all that time, but I'm not mad that they introduced and resolved it in extended universe stuff.. That seems like the perfect use of other mediums without screwing with the games (or requiring people to buy additional stuff).

I'm guessing we see the Flood again though.

nekkid

But it doesn't need any more explanation than a spore found its way onto the SoF.

Fuchsdh

It's definitely borked right now. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the upcoming patch will address it, unless it's an unlisted fix.

FyreWulff

I'd just assume it's a dropped storyline at this point. I think they heard the feedback on people getting tired of major events resolving outside of the games.

I mean, they did arbitrarily end up at the Ark (so far in the storyline, anyway)

The_Dama

If you play matchmaking 3 players vs 3 AI and you win, it counts as a loss (unless you destroy all their bases). Its not on the patch list :/

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Does selecting "Resign" from the menu really count as a disconnect? The warning message sounds like it does.

That's an extremely odd decision if so. I guess it encourages you to play from behind, but there are plenty of times it's just hopeless and you're waiting for your bases to be killed.

FyreWulff

Does selecting "Resign" from the menu really count as a disconnect? The warning message sounds like it does.

That's an extremely odd decision if so. I guess it encourages you to play from behind, but there are plenty of times it's just hopeless and you're waiting for your bases to be killed.

In Halo Wars 1 the proper way to do it was self destruct all your bases, which would give you an in-game defeat and EXP, then you could resign.

But, Halo Wars 1 also only ever let you matchmake by yourself or a full party, so it was generally understood that if you resigned out your teammates were aware of it. I'm honestly surprised they have matchmade allies in HW2.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
In Halo Wars 1 the proper way to do it was self destruct all your bases, which would give you an in-game defeat and EXP, then you could resign.

But, Halo Wars 1 also only ever let you matchmake by yourself or a full party, so it was generally understood that if you resigned out your teammates were aware of it.

I was talking about 1v1 mode. I guess it makes more sense for a matchmade team, but still really dumb 1v1.

FyreWulff

I was talking about 1v1 mode. I guess it makes more sense for a matchmade team, but still really dumb 1v1.

Yeah, in 1v1 it was the self destruct all bases method, because it would start the timer and give them the win.

I would think any eventual HW2 Ranked is going to have the bases destroyed = defeat setting on, otherwise games will take way too long.

And yeah I definitely just want to acknowledge when the other guy has me beat and just move the fuck on without being penalized like I abandoned people.

Top Bottom