• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

FyreWulff

Damn, you think you have things under control in Firefight then they send a wave of like 30 fucking Sentinels out and they got straight for the Kodiaks..

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This game is so buggy. Should have never been released in this state. I've gotten several crashes to the desktop mid mission, auto saves not working properly, and now I'm getting 5-10 second freezes mid match.

Fuchsdh

Damn, you think you have things under control in Firefight then they send a wave of like 30 fucking Sentinels out and they got straight for the Kodiaks..

I'm still trying to figure out what a successful strategy is for FF solo. At first I thought the idea was that you just park your forces by the spawn zones to bottle them in while you have a few scouts collect resources, but after wave 10 they get decimated by whatever drops in.

sam777

Got to wave 26 on my first firefight, which was done in coop. We just parked a load of Kodiak and Locust around point B and C.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm still trying to figure out what a successful strategy is for FF solo. At first I thought the idea was that you just park your forces by the spawn zones to bottle them in while you have a few scouts collect resources, but after wave 10 they get decimated by whatever drops in.

Kodiak is king. + grizzly and some healing.

Compsiox

Banned
This game is so buggy. Should have never been released in this state. I've gotten several crashes to the desktop mid mission, auto saves not working properly, and now I'm getting 5-10 second freezes mid match.

Are you sure it's not your overclocking?

Tecnniqe

Banned
InD1cxG.png

Hawk269

Naah, last summer after E3 we had 2 weeks of Domination and Deathmatch on Xbox. Though lot has changed in mechanics since then, the matches were no less stable then currently. In fact, I don't remember being kicked out of a match anytime during the betas.

I agree. During the first Beta and even the Blitz Beta on Xbox One, game ran fine on-line. I know some say "you cant compare beta to a live game dude since there are so many more people", well all I can say to that is that in Blitz during the beta I was able to get into Brawl matches (3vs3) much faster and the reasons was that a lot of people were playing the beta since it was an open beta.

I know Sketch at Waypoint said they are working on a substantial patch, so I hope a lot of things get fixed, but as much as I love the game it needed at least another 2 months in the oven for bug testing, balancing etc.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I just started a hw2 mission where, as the intro cutscene is playing and I have no control, a unit gets destroyed by orbital bombardment and I get a msg popup saying I failed a secontrary objective for not losing any units to orbital strikes...

This fucking game man, lol

Proelite

I got to wave 47 solo firefight with forge. The hero warthogs make this easy mode.

If i had two human forge allies, this would be easy mode.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I just started a hw2 mission where, as the intro cutscene is playing and I have no control, a unit gets destroyed by orbital bombardment and I get a msg popup saying I failed a secontrary objective for not losing any units to orbital strikes...

This fucking game man, lol

lmao

B3N1

Yep. And this game is best played on Easy/Normal imo.

Doing Legendary with the Skulls isn't that hard either. I can match the AI's leaderpower spam, so while it's broken, it's broken in a 1887 Akimbo way.

Finished mission 9, didn't even have to reload, I just learnt to deal with the losses. Even when I send in a Holo squad and then the enemy blasts 2 Cleansing Beams on my other squad waiting behind, which it controls individually. Obviously on top of a stun.

I also played like 5 hours with a 3-player party, and Domination matches were nothing but fun. I can't really see a reason why I shouldn't pick Anders. The Sentinels can punish enemies who don't defend their bases and the Kodiaks are just too good with the beacon.

We also discovered that when the 'out of sync' error happens, it affects all of us. I need to check waypoint whether it counts as a loss, or some may be wins, if everyone gets booted.

And there is this too:

Tecnniqe

Banned
Can some of you good players share some strategies and build orders? Would be nice to get some ideas.

It depends if 1v1, 2v2 or 3v3 and what your team is doing.

Rush/mid/late game?

Personally I like rushing as 90% of people do that anyway, so really you want supplies and find a unit to spam and probably combine it with another unit as backup.

m23

It depends if 1v1, 2v2 or 3v3 and what your team is doing.

Rush/mid/late game?

Personally I like rushing as 90% of people do that anyway, so really you want supplies and find a unit to spam and probably combine it with another unit as backup.

Mid 1v1 is what I usually play. I tried a grizzly rush with Forge and managed to get a few of them out within 8 minutes or so.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Moreso asking for general advice really.

Just thought it would be cool to share build orders.
2 supply
2 marines
Grenade upgrade if countering too
1 supply
1 marine
1 supply
A lot of marines

:p general Sentinel counter

There's not a set build order really as you need to adapt to the enemy.
Early scouting can help.

Are they rushing? What are they building? What counters? What do you need in terms of resources to counter? Are you rushing? What are you playing and what bonus do you have?

m23

2 supply
2 marines
Grenade upgrade if countering too
1 supply
1 marine
1 supply
A lot of marines

:p general Sentinel counter

There's not a set build order really as you need to adapt to the enemy.
Early scouting can help.

Are they rushing? What are they building? What counters? What do you need in terms of resources to counter? Are you rushing? What are you playing and what bonus do you have?

Someone tried that on me earlier today, even though I wasn't using sentinels. Needless to say, I won.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Mission 8 "Hold the Line" is such a difficulty jump for me on Heroic and Xbox One.

If you ever match up your units wrong with theirs, or let them get grouped up to get annihilated by the opponent commander power things, you're kinda just done. The absolutely constant stream of enemies does not allow for a rebuild like previous missions do.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it's getting a little frustrating, especially after everything before was so easy.

Become a massive tank with Atriox and just spam Grunts like death fodder and the occasional Wraith will do the trick :)

But my God, I probably had half my games disconnect today. Reminds me of MCC.

Man, Mission 8 "Hold the Line" is such a difficulty jump for me on Heroic and Xbox One.

If you ever match up your units wrong with theirs, or let them get grouped up to get annihilated by the opponent commander power things, you're kinda just done. The absolutely constant stream of enemies does not allow for a rebuild like previous missions do.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it's getting a little frustrating, especially after everything before was so easy.

I was just going to write this.

My advice is to now make hornets. Just make cyclops and some anti air units. Then I was able to take down the scarab at the end of the mission.

Werd

95 packs opened, two copies of every other legendary, level 3 Forge's Warthog (Forge pack OP), 0 of Elite Honor Guard - my favorite card from the beta. Booo.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

Yeah this was a massive jump for me too.

Cranster

Banned

Yeah, they need to tweak a couple of the missions difficulty balance. Even on normal some of these missions are ridiculously tough.

T.O.P

Banned
After playing a bjt of this in X1 i sentire to download the W10 version but ti won't let

Says my system ain't compatible right on the store page

Same thing with Killer Instinct wich I played countless times on PC last year

What the fuck

m23

I played heroic up to that point and then had to turn it down to normal. I'm on my second playthrough so I'm hoping to beat that mission on heroic this time. Has anyone tried using Kodiaks? Do they help?

B3N1

I played heroic up to that point and then had to turn it down to normal. I'm on my second playthrough so I'm hoping to beat that mission on heroic this time. Has anyone tried using Kodiaks? Do they help?
It's one of my favorites. Didn't lose more than 1 barricade on my 4 playthroughs (2 were easy though :) )

Start by building all bases, taking all Energy points. 3-4 Supply pads, 2 Generators and an Armory on HQ (this can be modified to garage later). Build Generator on SW base.
Barracks on the central minibase and a Garage and Airpad on the double base in NE Corner (protect whis from Hunters with a single ODST drop)

Build all turrets, start by having Anti-Infantry along the NW path. Add Anti-Vehicle next to the Double-minibase. Rest is up to you.

For 10 minutes you mostly get infantry, so build Marines, flamethrowers, place 3 flamethrowers next to the corner double tower near the console where the brutes will jetpack up. the rest on the lane under the base. Before the waves start coming from the North entrance, start building Cyclopses, move them to the rest of your group, and some towards the Eastern entrance as they'll start with a vehicle wave from there. If you keep resupplying these 2 groups with manpower, you're good. Meanwhile keep building turrets, and upgrading infantry, vehicles and air. Raise the pop-limit and production speed from Armory. You can add Nightingales to both squads to heal, or create a 4-5 member Hornet-squad to roam wherever help is needed. I regularly used Scorpions, but they died easily from Hunters.

Around the 20-25 minute mark, enemy will start pushing the base with Banshees, 4-5 Wolverines and the base turrets will take care of them.

The most important is to use leader powers, whenever required. ODSTs have tons of health and great for tanking damage while Cyclopses melt Vehicles, the Turret Drop is similar, works great when a few ghosts manage to get through your defenses.

Never tried Kodiaks, but could work instead of Scorpions actually, placed around the base. Most problem I had was with Locusts, as their range is higher than Cyclopses, and Kodiak deals quite a damage to vehicles too. If you go that route, I'd place 2 on the central platform next to the minibase and 3 where the Energy containers are on the NE side of the HQ.

nillapuddin

Been staying away from thread til I beat campaign but...

Played FF first time last night, why the frickity frack don't you get xp from it. We played 45 minute session (wave 40 iirc) and then at the end you don't get anything, WTF.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Played FF first time last night, why the frickity frack don't you get xp from it. We played 45 minute session (wave 40 iirc) and then at the end you don't get anything, WTF.

Yup. Stupid oversight at the very least.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

Did you enjoy it?

m23

It's one of my favorites. Didn't lose more than 1 barricade on my 4 playthroughs (2 were easy though :) )

Start by building all bases, taking all Energy points. 3-4 Supply pads, 2 Generators and an Armory on HQ (this can be modified to garage later). Build Generator on SW base.
Barracks on the central minibase and a Garage and Airpad on the double base in NE Corner (protect whis from Hunters with a single ODST drop)

Build all turrets, start by having Anti-Infantry along the NW path. Add Anti-Vehicle next to the Double-minibase. Rest is up to you.

For 10 minutes you mostly get infantry, so build Marines, flamethrowers, place 3 flamethrowers next to the corner double tower near the console where the brutes will jetpack up. the rest on the lane under the base. Before the waves start coming from the North entrance, start building Cyclopses, move them to the rest of your group, and some towards the Eastern entrance as they'll start with a vehicle wave from there. If you keep resupplying these 2 groups with manpower, you're good. Meanwhile keep building turrets, and upgrading infantry, vehicles and air. Raise the pop-limit and production speed from Armory. You can add Nightingales to both squads to heal, or create a 4-5 member Hornet-squad to roam wherever help is needed. I regularly used Scorpions, but they died easily from Hunters.

Around the 20-25 minute mark, enemy will start pushing the base with Banshees, 4-5 Wolverines and the base turrets will take care of them.

The most important is to use leader powers, whenever required. ODSTs have tons of health and great for tanking damage while Cyclopses melt Vehicles, the Turret Drop is similar, works great when a few ghosts manage to get through your defenses.

Never tried Kodiaks, but could work instead of Scorpions actually, placed around the base. Most problem I had was with Locusts, as their range is higher than Cyclopses, and Kodiak deals quite a damage to vehicles too. If you go that route, I'd place 2 on the central platform next to the minibase and 3 where the Energy containers are on the NE side of the HQ.

Thanks for that. I'll come back to this post once I reach that mission.

Was playing against this person last night who kept bringing out that Super Pelican unit. I took them down one by one each time but the person didn't learn from it. It was so satisfying to take that unit out each time, I can't imagine how frustrated the other player was.

Fuchsdh

I just spammed air, with Wolverines at deal with the banshees. Two groups of Hornets at the NW and NE are enough to deal with everything they send at you, you just need to be ready to micro to engage the Locusts.

That mission actually brings up one of the major flaws I have with the campaign design, and that's arbitrary walls. What looks like part of the map is something you can't get to, and you can end up with situations like the above—where I can't actually engage a Locust because it's shooting at me off the map.

It's a clear downgrade over the contained and clear map designs of the first game.

CyReN

This game needed another month of polish.

Was on the last mission and it went to a scene where it was cinematic widescreen and when it returned to the action it remained that way for the rest of the mission with half my screen cut off..

Campaign a solid 7/10, seemed like it was missing another few mission.

Tecnniqe

Banned
So, entered a 2v2 and my mouse dont work ingame but it works in the menu?

Cant select or move units AT ALL.

GGWP good thing I could plug in a controller and managed a win but fuck, this better not be when ranked comes out.

Edit: and again 2nd time in a row...

Having a pretty nice time with the single player portion of this game so far. It's not blowing my mind or anything but I am pretty bad at RTS games so I don't mind the kind of hand holds nature of the missions or its tendency to open with quite a linear story type sequence before letting you get down to exploring the map and base building. The only time I've totally wiped so far was From The Deep, I don't actually realise there was other points on the map haha >_< managed to finish that off just there though with some thought.

Production values and especially the cutscenes are great, have had some technical ups and downs though. Some weird 2-3 second hitching, and one hard crash. Annoying but it hasn't gotten too intrusive - yet.

Overall, a good time so far. Not sure if I'll try the multi honestly, but firefight sounds good. Surprised I haven't actually saw Atriox again. For once they seem to have a kind of cool logical villain and after a very cool intro, Nada.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm getting too competitive for my own good. When units don't react and pathing gets thrown off during combat or just in general during pvp matches it fuels the rage so much.

Great game, great competitive for me anyway but so many small things that can happen can make certain moments a loss which should have been a win or at least closed the gap a lot.

Had 5 hellbats refuse to acknowledge my command to attack the enemy infantry and proceeded to die attacking the building instead, no matter how many times I tried to initiate the command.

Top Bottom