• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

Kalentan

Without spoiling it... (Since I can't get the game for a while)

Does the game have any possible tie-ins to Halo 6?

Looking for a yes or a no.

iFirez

Just finished the campaign. Only took me 6 hours or so with watching the cutscenes. Still, really enjoyable but I wish there were more of the CG cutscenes - the ones we did yet however were pretty awesome. Really looking forward to seeing what the DLC brings to the table and what else we may discover about the galaxy post-Halo 5.

Danny 117

Enjoying the game so far, but my biggest disappoint so far is the
lack of blur cinematic between each mission. I feel like there is no character building or emotion that the first game gave to us. Right now they say that Douglas died, but did he?
I am only on mission 5 at this point.

He didn't, he'll be back :)

BTW, anyone got any tips for the (mission 8? spoilers)
tower defense mission defending the particle generator?
Getting wrecked on Heroic.

Zurick

Banned
oKePri9.png

File size is different this time. TY MS....

Tip, if you're reacting to spoilers, also post it in spoiler tags. Pretty easy to infer what it's about due to reactions on spoilers.

Anyway! Massively enjoying the game so far. Performance seems to be buttery smooth on my rig and that's a pleasant surprise after my last PC gig with Dishonored 2. Game looks gorgeous as well.. 343.. why couldn't we have these amazing explosions and effects in Halo 5?

I am only four missions in, but so far they have nailed that Halo feeling for me. The fun thing is that it does feel progressive.. it's a nice blend of the classic and new visuals and the music also feels like it belongs in Halo without relying solely on the sounds of old. Nailed it so far, as far as I am concerned.

Got a few questions in regard to gameplay though, as I haven't delved that extensively in yet despite from a few missions in campaign:
  • Are there any stances in the game? I always like to be able to attack move or use stances such as a guard stance. I have run into some problems where my Hornets would re-engage into the fight and get destroyed where I wanted them to back-off etc.
  • Is there added value in constructing multiple production facilities? Does it speed up unit production or give you multiple queues? So far I have only build one production facility per type but I did build multiple resource gathering buildings.

Also, opened up one of the premium Blitz packs I got with the UE. Pulled the Scarab, right on the money. Is it better to hold onto these premium packs for now (like holding onto the Warzone packs for Halo 5). I doubt it, due to lack of cosmetics, but who knows.

Played through 5 or so missions last night on heroic.. it's a bit harder than HW1.. or just a new learning curve.

The story is very good I think so far.. wish there were more Blur cutscenes but the audio voiceovers are doing a good job too.

Great seeing the old Spartans back in action.

zeox

giphy.gif

Weird if coop does and not solo since I bet solo is more difficult?

Hmm

I absolutely agree, but it would be strange for someone who only wants to play firefight to not have a way to gain levels to get packs.

So how does spartan rank work? Do you get exp from deathmatch, conquest, blitz, similar to HW1?

correct.

So apparently leaving a lost match gives you absolutely nothing. meaning it's more beneficial for you to stay in a losing match just to get some xp.
I really hope they put in a concede button asap :/

Fuchsdh

I absolutely agree, but it would be strange for someone who only wants to play firefight to not have a way to gain levels to get packs.

correct.

So apparently leaving a lost match gives you absolutely nothing. meaning it's more beneficial for you to stay in a losing match just to get some xp.
I really hope they put in a concede button asap :/

Huh, there's no forfeit option? Kind of weird to lose that from HW1 to 2.

Tecnniqe

Banned
This game is amazing. Love the graphics and artstyle so much. C&C vibes all over it <3
probably better
giphy.gif

Soon™
Yeah its pretty dumb. PvP Blitz is of no interest and Firefight is quite fun.

Meh
Huh, there's no forfeit option? Kind of weird to lose that from HW1 to 2.
Sell HQ :D

oKePri9.png

File size is different this time. TY MS....

That just means you've already downloaded a portion of it and it has been subtracted from the total thus that number is just the remaining data amount to be downloaded.

So, if you download say another 5 GB and need to turn your PC off, reboot, etc when you go to start your download again it will say the total amount is 13.62 GB. The Windows 10 Store is very odd but I've dealt with it enough to know what's going on. It also likes to download a lot of data before updating the download progress at times as well.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Am i crazy or is there no way to pause/bring up a menu while in gameplay on PC?

Trying to mess with VSync and I had to quit out.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Is there a Blur Cutscene after every level? Because I definitely don't get one after each mission...

Nope. Biggest disappointment in the game so far.

sam777

Just bought a download code off a fellow gaffer, can't wait to play. Also I am glad co-op campaign is available.

louiedog

How does Halo Wars: Definitive Edition work on Windows 10?

I got an HW2 Ultimate Edition code from that fios promo yesterday and redeemed it. HW2 and HW: DE started downloading on my Xbox. However, I can't seem to download it from the Win Store. The add-on listing takes me to the game hub which has no install button.

Moa

How does Halo Wars: Definitive Edition work on Windows 10?

I got an HW2 Ultimate Edition code from that fios promo yesterday and redeemed it. HW2 and HW: DE started downloading on my Xbox. However, I can't seem to download it from the Win Store. The add-on listing takes me to the game hub which has no install button.

Open the Windows Store and click your profile pic and choose My Library. It should be listed in there with a download button.

louiedog

Open the Windows Store and click your profile pic and choose My Library. It should be listed in there with a download button.

It's not.

I just checked my Xbox and the Halo Wars: Definitive Edition isn't a separate game, but a part of the HW2 package and only 10 MB so I'm thinking this isn't actually the game, but something else. Maybe I need to wait for a code to unlock it like the Gears franchise bonus was delivered?

Spasm

It's not.

I just checked my Xbox and the Halo Wars: Definitive Edition isn't a separate game, but a part of the HW2 package and only 10 MB so I'm thinking this isn't actually the game, but something else. Maybe I need to wait for a code to unlock it like the Gears franchise bonus was delivered?
Open the Halo app, download it from there, iirc.

louiedog

Open the Halo app, download it from there, iirc.

It just tells me to pre-order Halo Wars 2.

edit: Looks like I do need a code?

*Pre-order the Halo Wars 2: Ultimate Edition and receive Halo Wars: Definitive Edition. The codes for Halo Wars: Definitive Edition will be delivered to your Xbox message center in 7-10 days from pre-order, beginning December 20, 2016. Redeem your code on Xbox One, Xbox.com or the Xbox App on Windows 10.

This is a quote I found that someone seemingly pulled from the store page they linked to, but that store page no longer says anything like this.

I own and have played Quantum Break, Gears of War 4, Forza 6: Apex, FH3, and ReCore from the Windows Store and every release is a new and exciting adventure.

Bryant

Just finished the campaign, and feel slightly disappointed. The whole know your enemy / epic chess battle never happens. Atriox just takes Ls in every mission. I think the story would have benefited from "failure" missions where Atriox just outsmarts cutter and you are forced to retreat. Also, like others have said the lack of cutscenes between missions would have helped with this. Overall they really didn't use him well, and in the end he comes off as kind of a dummy in the end as he never does anything smart really. Campaign ends too soon invoking my PTSD of Halo 2. Still, overall enjoyed the game.

Spasm

It just tells me to pre-order Halo Wars 2.
I just reread your post. I think you're missing the actual DE code. If it's anything like the preorder fiasco, you will receive the DE code in an Xbox live message 7-10 business days after purchasing (redeeming the code for) HW2.

Edit: Yeah, you found it.

Top Bottom