• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 |OT| Warranty For Suckers

Matty8787

So I never played Halo Wars and I have the option to buy the Ultimate Edition for £50 and I am going halves with my brother aswell as he has xbox one and I have PC, is this a good deal?

Is it worth me going through Halo Wars 1 first?

Only got to Mission 11, but this is where I stop today, because the mission is unfair and terribly designed. Playing on Normal and this shit is absurd.

Also, the game delivered on my fear that SP is overfilled with MP modes. That is your mission design? Because that is just awful...
I'm on mission 11 right now. I'm so frustrated.

Phantoms dropping troops right on top of your points every minute... are you kidding me? This game has been ridiculous with these late-game levels.

And you nailed it too with the MP in SP thing. I hated it in Gears 4 and I hate it here too. God damn.

Toa TAK

Banned
Initial thoughts as I've just finished the campaign: thought there were some really great ideas in it, and some huge missed opportunities with it story-wise. Simply put, the setting was awesome, but Atriox is a fluke and fell right into what I feared from the very beginning of his announcement: all hype with nothing to fall back on. All this b-movie bullshit building up on the dude about how "scary and badass" he was to defy the Covenant and he gets kicked around by an old man, a flustered AI, and 3 super soldiers who are just about having the time of their lives. Ripa 'Moramee, from the first game, was a better adversary and had more of a presence. Excluding the Spartans, who took a huge level in personality and comradery, the characters that return from the original Halo Wars kinda feel stilted, which is saying something since they were already clichés in the first game.

Was really hoping there would be more back-and-forth between the two commanders Cutter and Atriox, as that might add some kind of depth to both for them to be at all intersting but the very few moments they do, they last for seconds and nothing of value is gained from their dialogue. You're wondering why the fuck Cutter even bothers and then you view Atriox as a sore loser. No one's impressed with his shit if this is the result of it all. You know who had the better rivalry? The Spartans and Decimus for some reason. Decimus kept it competitive, yet playful and the Spartans were just happy to kick his power-suit ass. Hopefully things get better with DLC, but I think I know better than that at this point. Even with DLC coming down the chute soon, it still feels like a middle finger just got flipped at me with the way it wants to just continue to set-up.

That said, kudos for Halo Wars 2
to be the first Halo game in (8?) years to have an actual Halo be the focus of the story.
Missions in Halo Wars were a lot better, I thought, from being forced to evacuate civilians, repairing the ship under fire, and taking that stupid fucking FTL Drive up a hill was better than doing a match of Blitz with an infinitely respawning Sentinel GOD. Still, looking forward to picking up this game's soundtrack.

I'm about six or seven missions into the campaign.

Is it all the Starcraft talking heads style thing?

The first Halo Wars had cutscenes between each mission, and so far I've only seen 3... i think.
Have I accidentally unticked a 'display cutscenes' somewhere?

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm about six or seven missions into the campaign.

Is it all the Starcraft talking heads style thing?

The first Halo Wars had cutscenes between each mission, and so far I've only seen 3... i think.
Have I accidentally unticked a 'display cutscenes' somewhere?
No, there's only 7 in the game, with a huge gap between the 3rd and 4th.

Also, it doesn't apply to this game alone, but much like Halo 4 to 5, Halo Wars to 2 with going from talking heads on the HUD to static images is cheap as fuck, especially since both games (4 and HW1) ran on older machines.

No, there's only 7 in the game, with a huge gap between the 3rd and 4th.

Also, it doesn't apply to this game alone, but much like Halo 4 to 5, Halo Wars to 2 with going from talking heads on the HUD to static images is cheap as fuck, especially since both games (4 and HW1) ran on older machines.

Yeah, Titanfall 2 did the same thing. A bit disappointing.

ElRenoRaven

So a lot further in now and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I do miss the cutscenes between every level though. Overall I'm going to say it's on par with the first. I still think I like the first just a wee bit better though.

I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times in this thread but how does the PC verison hold up? Been playing Quantum Break on PC and it's got me into the idea of turning my computer into an Xbox One lite. Also interested in getting Gears 4.

Tecnniqe

Banned
wtf none of the multiplayer victories count as win in the Matches Won/Played

Probably why the weekly win don't trigger...

Helznicht

So I never played Halo Wars and I have the option to buy the Ultimate Edition for £50 and I am going halves with my brother aswell as he has xbox one and I have PC, is this a good deal?

You would have to sign in with his xbox account on your PC (tie it to your windows account) to be able to play I believe. That may be a deal breaker for you. And you could not play at the same time.

Caayn

Have only played skirmish and Blitz co-op so far. Mostly custom matches with friends against AI. I'm a bit disappointed that those matches didn't earn me anything at all, no XP, no card packs and challenges are practically locked to match-made matches :(

Making it nearly impossible for someone like me, who'll be spending most of his time in custom matches, to earn any new stuff. I don't care about leaderboards, I do care about content.

Atleast MS made the cards permanent and no longer consumable like with H5 reqs.

Toa Axis

So, what's everyone's consensus on the story thus far? I don't have the means to play the game myself, but from everything I've watched, it just seems... passable at best. Not particularly good, but not embarrassingly bad like Halo 5 (the Blur cutscenes certainly make it interesting to watch, least, though I wish there were more).

The characters are just archetypes for the most part, which is disappointing, since they were that way in the first game (although the Spartans have a bit of actual personality this time around, which is nice). You don't really get to Know Your Enemy™ at all, either. Atriox only really displays his physical and strategic prowess in that initial encounter, where he effortlessly took on Red Team and had them completely surrounded. Other than that, it's just, "Yeah, we're going to deploy here, but Atriox predicted it, be prepared." We really don't get to truly know him or the Elite Shipmaster, Let. It makes them feel more like background players even though they're crucial threats. I found the ending rather disappointing as well. On that note...

How on Earth is Halo 6 gonna juggle all these plot threads? They've got the UNSC on the back foot, the Swords of Sanghelios, the Prometheans (ugh) and the Warden Eternal (ugh), Cortana (uuuuggghhh) and the Created (uuuuggghhh), Atriox and the Banished, Cutter and the Spirit of Fire crew, the Ark, Installation 04C, Osiris, Blue Team, etc. It's looking like a mess, and I feel like this is the downside of 343's need to always tie everything to the main games. It makes it less approachable to fans who only play the mainline games, and it makes it harder for them to create a cohesive narrative.

ElRenoRaven

So, what's everyone's consensus on the story thus far? I don't have the means to play the game myself, but from everything I've watched, it just seems... passable at best. Not particularly good, but not embarrassingly bad like Halo 5.

The characters are just archetypes for the most part, which is disappointing, since they were that way in the first game (although the Spartans have a bit of actual personality this time around, which is nice). You don't really get to Know Your Enemy™ at all, either. Atriox only really displays his physical and strategic prowess in that initial encounter, where he effortlessly took on Red Team and had them completely surrounded. Other than that, it's just, "Yeah, we're going to deploy here, but Atriox predicted it, be prepared." We really don't get to truly know him or the Elite Shipmaster, Let. It makes them feel more like background players even though they're crucial threats. I found the ending rather disappointing as well. On that note...

How on Earth is Halo 6 gonna juggle all these plot threads? They've got the UNSC on the back foot, the Swords of Sanghelios, the Prometheans (ugh) and the Warden Eternal (ugh), Cortana (uuuuggghhh) and the Created (uuuuggghhh), Atriox and the Banished, Cutter and the Spirit of Fire crew, the Ark, Installation 04C, Osiris, Blue Team, etc. It's looking like a mess, and I feel like this is the downside of 343's need to always tie everything to the main games. It makes it less approachable to fans who only play the mainline games, and it makes it harder for them to create a cohesive narrative.

I like the story. It's a lot more self contained then the first game. It seems a bit more predictable then the first though. I kind of like the villan. More then I liked the forerunners even.

Matty8787

You would have to sign in with his xbox account on your PC (tie it to your windows account) to be able to play I believe. That may be a deal breaker for you. And you could not play at the same time.

Doesnt work like that on gears.. I have his xbox set to my home console and the game just appears for download on his account, we then proceeded to play gears together me on PC him on console.

Same with Forza too.

Credits are rolling for me right now.

I feel like... not a lot happened? We woke up, then sent out a ring with Anders on it. I feel like that's pretty much the entire plot right there. I mean, I'm super happy to have the Spirit of Fire enter the Halo fold again, I think it could be pretty interesting seeing how Atriox and this plotline on the Ark tie in to the Created war.

The mid-game cutscene drought was torturous, I didn't get nearly enough Blur as I would have liked.

Levels were pretty meh overall, too. Much prefer Halo Wars 1's encounters to these.

So yeah, overall... underwhelmed. Bit saddened honestly, I expected much more on the plot front, especially after that ViDoc last summer where Dan Ayoub talked about how they're putting a ton of effort into the story since "RTS players expect more from story".

Edit: Oh shit that post credit scene! Story got a bit better just because of that lol.
Super excited to see Anders face a pissed off Cortana asking to know just why she's flying through the galaxy on one of "her" Halo rings.

BondFancy

Just beat mission 2 with
god of war man
on legendary. I forgot that unless you onslaught the enemy constantly and aggressively you will get demolished.

Akai__

I'm on mission 11 right now. I'm so frustrated.

Phantoms dropping troops right on top of your points every minute... are you kidding me? This game has been ridiculous with these late-game levels.

And you nailed it too with the MP in SP thing. I hated it in Gears 4 and I hate it here too. God damn.

I don't know what they were thinking. :/

Cruxist

Aren't all ultimate editions supposed to come with all of the leaders from the first game? I don't think I got them in my physical copy.

I'm trying to play halo wars 1 again before jumping in on 2 but I can't find out how to start up halo wars 1. Can you not play it early anymore?

Zurick

Banned
That just means you've already downloaded a portion of it and it has been subtracted from the total thus that number is just the remaining data amount to be downloaded.

So, if you download say another 5 GB and need to turn your PC off, reboot, etc when you go to start your download again it will say the total amount is 13.62 GB. The Windows 10 Store is very odd but I've dealt with it enough to know what's going on. It also likes to download a lot of data before updating the download progress at times as well.

Oh that's what you think is it? It does sound logical....

WtO0V6M.png

vsMIC

It said I did,but it's only a 10mb file.I dunno what I'm doing wrong.

had the same problem with hw2. delete the preorder files and reinstall completely. then the forrect files are downloaded. worked for me and my buddy (xbox).

ms fucked up with this and the stupid code distribution of hw1de. still nice games though...

edit
ahh, maybe i read it wrong. you have problems with hw1 and the code distribution...?

Akai__

I'm trying to play halo wars 1 again before jumping in on 2 but I can't find out how to start up halo wars 1. Can you not play it early anymore?

Is that 10MB file under Halo Wars 2 -> Manage Game? Because that's probably only a verification file that you own the HW2 UE and are granted a HW DE copy.

The way the Halo Wars DE version works is waiting 7-10 business days for a code, which lets you download the full game, once you redeem it.

When did you buy the HW2 UE?

First impression of this game last night: This is pretty good

Today's impression of the game: This isn't too great. Feels sluggish, and unit management seems a little stiff/poor. This is a good game, but starting to regret my purchase...This is all based on campaign so far.

Did you download it?

Is that 10MB file under Halo Wars 2 -> Manage Game? Because that's probably only a verification file that you own the HW2 UE and are granted a HW DE copy.

The way the Halo Wars DE version works is waiting 7-10 business days for a code, which lets you download the full game, once you redeem it.

Yesterday..Ahh ok,I didn't know that,guess that's why I don't have the game yet.

CuNi

Just finished SP on legendary and played some blitz.. Blitz is fun but this game on legendary is utter bs. Especially the late game levels.
it's like I think before 10th or 11th mission you don't even have access to the full load out and when you have it they just drop shit at you every second with advanced units while you throw rocks at them. If that wouldn't be bad enough most missions even contain a timer so it's even more pressure. You barely have time to survive the attacks and have to expand with nearly no resources. Story is underwhelming as well. Once it starts to progress beyond "oh crazy where are, who are those, what's that!?" credits roll and its over.
rant. It was fun somewhere but it didn't live up beyond gameplay. To my expectations.

I just put in a code for "Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition - Pre-Order" and downloaded HW2 on PC.

But when I look at Halo Wars Definitive Edition under the bundle, it says "You Own This Product" but I see no way to download it. Tried restarting, same problem.

It clearly knows I own it, but for whatever reason won't let me download.

Surely I don't have to wait 7-10 days for a code to download a game the Windows Store already knows I own?

Werd

Surely I don't have to wait 7-10 days for a code to download a game the Windows Store already knows I own?

Yeah it seems like you have to wait, everyone did for the last two months HW:DE was available. The assumption I've seen is they sent out the codes delayed like that to prevent people from doing the whole order from Amazon, get code, cancel 10 seconds later thing but there is no reason it should still exist with the game actually out now.

Cruxist

Maybe I'm dense, but I have no idea how multiplayer works on the definitive edition. Why not just leave it the way it was?

Yeah it seems like you have to wait, everyone did for the last two months HW:DE was available. The assumption I've seen is they sent out the codes delayed like that to prevent people from doing the whole order from Amazon, get code, cancel 10 seconds later thing but there is no reason it should still exist with the game actually out now.

Here's the thing ... I logged into my Xbox One, and it immediately popped up with four downloads ... Halo Wars 2, Halo Wars 2 - Isabel Pack, Halo Wars 2 - Leader Forge, Halo Wars Definitive Edition.

So the "Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition Pre-Order" code clearly unlocked everything.

And it's working on Xbox One.

But I can't seem to download any of the packs or the HW1 Definitive Edition on Win 10.

Weird.

Update:

Spoke too soon. I have "Halo Wars Definitive Edition" in my recently installed list on Xbox One, but when I select it, the system just opens up Halo Wars 2. And it doesn't appear as a separate game in the "games" list. Same with all the DLC ... just opens up Halo Wars 2 with no option to see/find either the HW1 remaster or any of the dlc.

Could just be the early access thing. Still, weird.

ElRenoRaven

So finished the game. I like it. My final thoughts are that it's a hair below the first. The gameplay was fun but there wasn't as much variety as the first game mission wise. The story just kind of ends too. I was kind of expecting maybe one final boss fight yet nothing.

Overall though it was a fun ride and I could see myself playing it again. But as it is the first game is the better of the two. I'd say the first game I rated a strong strong 9. I loved it. This game I'd say is a solid 8.

I'm really enjoying the story of Halo Wars 2, but not the gameplay. The Mouse/Keyboard controllers are so hamfisted, and I don't feel like there's a lot of good control feedback for whether or not the shit you're doing is actually doing shit.

I might end up switching to easy to try and blow through it as fast as possible to enjoy the story. Because so far it's quite good.

Top Bottom