• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloFest |OT| 10 Years of Halo - Streaming Panels, Grunt Plushies, The future of Halo

clav

Not understanding the Halo 4 hate here.

Do you just want 343 to import Halo 3 models and play around with a Forge editor with all assets and call it a day?

There's barely any info about it, and you're already hating it? wtf

feel

this is getting too late, I really wanted to watch the Universe panel but it seems ign won't be putting it up tonight, I guess I can watch it tomorrow

OuterWorldVoice said:
we haven't shown a single stripped classic gametype yet. So you know...
I'm simply watching halofest from the internet, instead of being there at the event. Allow me to bitch, rage and overreact so that the jealously doesn't kill me, aight?

Looking forward to it. You guys are killing it so far, really letting people know you mean business when it comes to taking over Halo. So good.

I just hope that by the time this weekend is over, things will be a bit more clear on the future of Reach and CEA discs' matchmaking multiplayer, it's so confusing right now with so many types of gameplay being tossed around.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
claviertekky said:

Do you just want 343 to import Halo 3 models and play around with a Forge editor with all assets and call it a day?

No that's what they want for Reach actually.

Monocle

enzo_gt said:
I come home, and I'm overwhelmed by all the Halo news. I may have to eat my hat and say I'm actually excited for Halo: CEA now from all of this news that has come from 343. Thanks to OP and Forward Unto Dawn for keeping me on track.

What has me MOST hype though is this Halo 4 art in this video. Do we have HD of these pictures yet? Did I miss the discussion on these pictures, concept art, architecture and ship design? Tons of tidbits about Halo 4 were dropped today, goddamn. Still gotta watch the terminals.
Obviously the bottom right image on that display confirms that Master Chief takes on Unicron in Halo 4.

OuterWorldVoice said:
we haven't shown a single stripped classic gametype yet. So you know...
In Franklez we trust.

ElRenoRaven

claviertekky said:

Nobody hates Halo 4. Read what people have written. Hating an armor set or a design of a vehicle isn't hating Halo 4.

fawaz

Banned
les papillons sexuels said:
how exactly does this confirm when halo 4 takes place? It tells the story of the daedalus, i thought master was on forward unto dawn?

or is there any link to the ign confirmation?

It is stated in the video title that this is the very same warthog that is going to be in Halo 4

ElRenoRaven

fawaz said:
It is stated in the video title that this is the very same warthog that is going to be in Halo 4

You do know the year the Warthog was made does not necessarily equal the year the game is set in right? The warthog in the game would not necessarily be newly manufactured.

ElRenoRaven

claviertekky said:
What? Yeah it is as that's all we know about Halo 4 so far.

Which means there is a lot we don't know yet. We also do know though that the game is following up from Halo 3 and does build off that legendary ending.

fawaz

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
You do know the year the Warthog was made does not necessarily equal the year the game is set in right? The warthog in the game would not necessarily be newly manufactured.

but that specific year fits conveniently to the fact that Cortana is nearing the end of her life. I am aware that it doesn't necessarily mean it's taking place on that specific year, but it does strongly imply that it is going to take place sometime around it.

Monocle

claviertekky said:
What? Yeah it is as that's all we know about Halo 4 so far.
I'm pretty sure there's a distinction between individual items within Halo 4 and the game as a whole. The extent of anyone's knowledge about them is irrelevant. So no, hating a couple design elements is not the same thing as hating the entire game.

clav

PsychoRaven said:
Which means there is a lot we don't know yet. We also do know though that the game is following up from Halo 3 and does build off that legendary ending.
Hopefully, Sunday doesn't bring new ammunition to hate more on where the game is going. In 343 and Frankie I trust.

As for Halo CEA, we haven't heard much about Kinect, yet, huh?

ElRenoRaven

fawaz said:
but that specific year fits conveniently to the fact that Cortana is nearing the end of her life. I am aware that it doesn't necessarily mean it's taking place on that specific year, but it does strongly imply that it is going to take place sometime around it.

Now see that's possible. We do know she's nearing the end of her life. However we don't know what being in the Halo's systems have done to her or what that prolonged time with The Gravemind has done to her either. In fact some have speculated that she could be becoming somewhat meta stable I believe is the term. So if that was true she could live a lot longer then the 7 years AI do. We simply do not know enough yet.

But yea to be honest I'm not expecting a lot of time to have passed. Maybe a year or two from the end of Halo 3 tops.

PsychoRaven said:
Now see that's possible. We do know she's nearing the end of her life. However we don't know what being in the Halo's systems have done to her or what that prolonged time with The Gravemind has done to her either. In fact some have speculated that she could be becoming somewhat meta stable I believe is the term. So if that was true she could live a lot longer then the 7 years AI do. We simply do not know enough yet.

But yea to be honest I'm not expecting a lot of time to have passed. Maybe a year or two from the end of Halo 3 tops.

Gravemind was hiding the AI fountain of youth confirmed?

As far as Halo 4 hate, I'm pretty sure someone can hate the aesthetics of a particular item without painting the whole game with that brush.

ElRenoRaven

claviertekky said:
Hopefully, Sunday doesn't bring new ammunition to hate more on where the game is going. In 343 and Frankie I trust.

As for Halo CEA, we haven't heard much about Kinect, yet, huh?

I wouldn't call it hate more then it is concern. I think we're all rooting for 343 to pull this off. And I agree. I hope the Halo 4 panel Sunday has them giving us things that make us go hmm you know I like where this is going.

Devolution said:
Gravemind was hiding the AI fountain of youth confirmed?

As far as Halo 4 hate, I'm pretty sure someone can hate the aesthetics of a particular item without painting the whole game with that brush.

Maybe he was. Maybe by killing him Masterchief saved us from being overrun by the AI's and becoming their slaves. lol

Also you hit it perfectly on the head. We can hate aesthetics without hating the whole game. Only by making it known how we feel about this stuff can 343 know what they might need to change or tweak or hell even say you know we heard you but we're going this route because......

PsychoRaven said:
I wouldn't call it hate more then it is concern. I think we're all rooting for 343 to pull this off. And I agree. I hope the Halo 4 panel Sunday has them giving us things that make us go hmm you know I like where this is going.

Even the stuff in CE made me go hmmm. Love the lore expansion.

ElRenoRaven

clashfan said:
I actually like the new look warthog. It looks more like an realistic future vehicle. I'm really liking the new artwork.

That's cool. We as individuals are never going to agree on everything. I'm sure there are some fans out there who would read what I dislike and go "shit you're nuts. I love it". And let's say as a worst case scenario that I end up hating Halo 4 with a passion. If everyone else loves it, I'm happy for them. I'm glad they have a game they love and enjoy.

And with all this said I'm going to bed. 6 and a half hours comes fast. lol

I can't even... I don't know.

Comprehensive writeup tomorrow hopefully.

For now though - No bloom gametypes are ammmmmmazing. I love the feel of the DMR with no bloom. The pistol 3 shot kill however does not feel that great. Something is still a little off about it (it had bloom in the gametype I played)

And pics

G59Zjl.jpg

zDmaUl.jpg

Playing Timberland (Ridgeline I think is what it's called)
RxDuCl.jpg

Weta Warthog
5DEYNl.jpg

Halo Cake
9Y26zl.jpg

sWmqXl.jpg

claviertekky said:

...yes. I definitely want them to reuse the Halo 3 models, mess around in Forge, and call it a day. There is no other possible way to read what I just said about disliking the general art style we have seen for Halo 4 at this point in time.

Really? No. I'd like them to actually keep the same sort of style that Halo has had its entire life. From what we've seen so far, it looks like some thirteen year old burst in and said "MORE FUTURISTIC!" so everyone added sharp lines, hexagons, and bits of "detail" that doesn't do jack shit. They're going more Sci-Fi in a very bad way.

clashfan said:
I actually like the new look warthog. It looks more like an realistic future vehicle. I'm really liking the new artwork.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. "like a more realistic future vehicle". So in the future vehicles are going to have bars everywhere for no reason whatsoever, a ton of gas cans attached to the back because why the fuck not, and latches and rivets all over the place? Huge step backwards.

Their style for that Warthog is a cliche for adding detail to stuff. Just like in Star Wars, Star Trek, etc. "More lights that don't do shit." It's like looking at Steampunk-inspired designs. People think adding gears to things that don't actually do anything makes something Steampunk, just as people think adding bars and random bullshit to something makes it look so much more gritty and real and, in some cases, "futuristic".

fawaz said:

Rampancy occurs after 7 years, which would make the year 2556 when she begins to fall into rampancy, which many believe is signaled at in halo origins while aboard forward unto dawn with the cheif still in cryo.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Phonomezer said:
I hope Halo 4 is using a new engine.

Halo Reach looks fantastic but the 360 can do better.
I just want a stable framerate. I'm sure the graphics will be passable.

Phonomezer said:

I wonder if Halo would look okay on Unreal Engine. I mean, Gears 3 looks so good I can't believe the 360 is pumping out those visuals.

Booshka

I don't know if this has been touched on yet, but for Health Packs in Classic mode in CEA, they should only regen health, not shields. Little thing that is a part of Halo CE that should be in CEA Classic mode for Reach.

Just a reminder.

Booshka

Ramirez said:
About the same as BR kill times in past games. I only played one game on Timberland, but it didn't seem that OP.
Is the rate of fire lowered, or does it have the same rate as it does now. I'm talking about fully spamming the DMR for max rate of fire btw.

NOKYARD

Ajemsuhgao said:
This is exactly what I'm talking about. "like a more realistic future vehicle". So in the future vehicles are going to have bars everywhere for no reason whatsoever, a ton of gas cans attached to the back because why the fuck not, and latches and rivets all over the place? Huge step backwards.
Jeep_J8_Chrysler_JGMS_light_patrol_vehicle_government_military_army_sales_jgms_wheeled_light_tactical_united_states_640.jpg

Let's see.
Latches, check. Bars, check. Gas (actually water) cans, check.
Rivets!!! Rivets are ruining the art style of Halo 4.

Booshka said:
Is the rate of fire lowered, or does it have the same rate as it does now. I'm talking about fully spamming the DMR for max rate of fire btw.

Same rate. Felt great, this is coming from someone who pretty much abandoned Halo Reach after a few weeks.

I agree with the sentiments of a poster earlier about the pistol. Is the pistol a 3 shot kill? Yes. Is the H1 magnum back? Absolutely not.

Also, can someone PM me the secret word/password to tell the guys at the front?

I've kept up with Halo Fest, but I have no idea what it is, and they're stamping people's badges and handing them something when they say it :(

Booshka

AHappyPanda said:
Same rate. Felt great, this is coming from someone who pretty much abandoned Halo Reach after a few weeks.

I agree with the sentiments of a poster earlier about the pistol. Is the pistol a 3 shot kill? Yes. Is the H1 magnum back? Absolutely not.
3 shot kill does not a Halo CE Pistol make.

It's the core mechanics and gameplay of Halo CE that make the Pistol shine, and of course its power. The way the aim assist and magnetism works in Halo CE, the accuracy of the Pistol, and rate of fire all make it amazing.

Booshka said:
3 shot kill does not a Halo CE Pistol make.

It's the core mechanics and gameplay of Halo CE that make the Pistol shine, and of course its power. The way the aim assist and magnetism works in Halo CE, the accuracy of the Pistol, and rate of fire all make it amazing.

Completely agree. I was expecting full on Halo 1 pistol. I did not get that when I played the TU.

I will say though, if they put enough time and effort into making the Bloom-less playlist a legitimate thing and push it, I could see myself going back to Reach.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
GodfatherX said:
is the Halo Universe panel up anywhere? its the one missing from IGN, already seen the 3 others

Links to all the panels can be found at the bottom.

IGN/Waypoint will have them all up later as some are still to go up but all of Friday's panels are there, hosted on some other site.

No mention of grenades being tweaked in the TU, worried, I am.
Or a banshee nerf. Which while not part of CE, it's something I thought 343i might address.

Wonder if it just means a lack of banshee in gametypes..

Woorloog

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
No mention of grenades being tweaked in the TU, worried, I am.
Or a banshee nerf. Which while not part of CE, it's something I thought 343i might address.

Wonder if it just means a lack of banshee in gametypes..
Replace Banshees with Falcons, problem solved. Good Falcon crew may be even better than a Banshee but it does require 2 or 3 people... flying triple kill.
I agree that we will need details about the 'nades and whether Banshees are nerfed and whether vehicle health system is changed.

Also, Halo 4 Chief design continues.
I don't like it. Shoulders, chest and arms are the sticking points for me. Heavily armoured legs are kind of cool, seem different from Halo 3 chief.

Purely because of the colour scheme thing, but I'm reminded of the Halo 2 Promo Image -

pruCa.jpg

Looking at this, yeah, I prefer this Mjolnir VI. Quite a bit.
Woorloog said:
whether vehicle health system is changed.
That too. Multiplayer panel questions people, we're giving them away.

People like that they're removing sword blocking? I thought it was one of the better additions for Reach. Certainly not classic of course, so it makes sense in that context.

JonCha

Everything looks great. No bloom and CE magnum are fantastic (I definitely wasn't expecting the magnum).

Also, only blocking the sword with the sword is something I totally forgot needed to be done but is great that it is. I've raged so much as people blocking what would be kills.

Just make melee three hits to kill so you can't sprint and double beat down, and you've got a winner. :)

claviertekky said:

Of course not. We do want the new models to look good, though. So far, what we've seen isn't inspiring any confidence, at least not for me.

Striker

Vire said:
Magnum + SMG on Beaver Creek = God Mode.
SMG/Mag and SMG/PR destroyed people in close quarters. One on one it would take out a regular BR user. A good DMR user takes out an AR user in Reach, and in Halo 3 without melee or a grenade, the AR was trash and a BR destroys is quickly.

That's the one thing I loved about dual wielding. It at least played its part accordingly.

Phonomezer said:

Halo 2 didn't have extraordinary graphics, but it played great. No stuttering in the game, cut-scenes, etc. No Halo game since has been free of these issues.

Just watched the Halo Universe panel, that was really really good stuff, definetely the best of the lot so far, a lot more revealing I feel than the others.
Striker said:
SMG/Mag and SMG/PR destroyed people in close quarters. One on one it
would take out a regular BR user. A good DMR user takes out an AR user in Reach, and in Halo 3 without melee or a grenade, the AR was trash and a BR destroys is quickly.

That's the one thing I loved about dual wielding. It at least played its part accordingly.

Halo 2 didn't have extraordinary graphics, but it played great. No stuttering in the game, cut-scenes, etc..
Well, there were serious pop-in issues in the cutscenes.

Striker

Yeah, it did. But there's no excuse for these later games to have issues with the in-game and cutscene scenarios when Halo 1 and Halo 2 were so clean. It's been disappointing.

Top Bottom