• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloFest |OT| 10 Years of Halo - Streaming Panels, Grunt Plushies, The future of Halo

MrBig

Striker said:
Compared to the brown/dirt color from Foundry or the horrid orange/brown with jaggies in Sandbox?

All Forged homes have had issues with its pallet.
Precisely, by grey I meant bland by extension. I have complained about that in depth and given alternatives.

Havok

Striker said:
- weapon changes (is there a fucking Laser on the map?)
It's on Ridgeline. That was disappointing - they have a great anti-vehicle weapon in the Plasma Launcher, but it's largely passed by for the awful Laser.

ElRenoRaven

Havok said:
It's on Ridgeline. That was disappointing.

It really is. If I had to pick only 1 weapon I would want to see die a horrible fiery death I'd choose the laser over the br/dmr. Those two would be a very close second though to die forever.

feel

Havok said:
It's on Ridgeline. That was disappointing - they have a great anti-vehicle weapon in the Plasma Launcher, but it's largely passed by for the awful Laser.
Did you ask someone about where the fuck is Classic gameplay??

clav

-Yeti said:
I'm super stoked for the TU. (Yay, no Bloom!), but some things seem to have gone untouched:

- Grenade damage
- Vehicle health and physics
- Inertia (I didn't notice it really until just recently. It makes strafing pointless.)
- And mostly importantly the Banshee. Both air maneuvers and Banshee bomb.

Maybe there will somehow be more light shed on those matters in the future.
Somehow, just reading grenade damage brings back memories of that Halo 2 patch update.

So good.

Did anyone remember what Halo 2 was like before that balance patch back in the day?

Letters said:

This, I want my classic playlist BTB or something like this, or at least 6 v 6 classic. Also I did not see any changes relating to grenades at all, I hope this just haven't been announced yet as grenades are another problem with Reach at this moment.

edit: lol beaten by the post above me

Havok

Letters said:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding - I'm just getting my information from the IGN flythroughs. Not sure what you're getting at.

Striker

Havok said:
21n045g.jpg

I'm in disbelief.

feel

Havok said:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding - I'm just getting my information from the IGN flythroughs. Not sure what you're getting at.
Oh sorry, when I read your post I thought you were at Halofest playing Ridgeline and interacting with 343i employees.

I'm frustrated at all this Armor Ability garbage on display today trying to be passed as saved Halo and the fact that almost noone else seems to care about it.

fawaz

Banned
Vire said:
So only one year after Halo 3? I honestly expected much longer.

it couldn't have been mush longer because Cortana was nearing the end of her life in halo 3. smart AIs in the halo universe only survive an average 7 years before becoming rampant.

MrBig

Vire said:
So only one year after Halo 3? I honestly expected much longer.
In the current real-world system car models are labeled a year ahead. The newest iteration would no doubt be on board the ship, which means that it could still be taking place at any time. But I don't see why it should even be a year, besides the random chance bit.

Vire

MrBig said:
In the current real-world system car models are labeled a year ahead. The newest iteration would no doubt be on board the ship, which means that it could still be taking place at any time.
I love me some conspiracy theories.

I think the most important thing for Halo 4 is coming up with a compelling story with viable enemies.

It's hard for me to imagine anything besides Grunts and Elites at this point.

fawaz

Banned
MrBig said:
In the current real-world system car models are labeled a year ahead. The newest iteration would no doubt be on board the ship, which means that it could still be taking place at any time. But I don't see why it should even be a year, besides the random chance bit.

Il like the way you think;)

Havok

Letters said:
Oh sorry, when I read your post I thought you were at Halofest playing Ridgeline and interacting with 343i employees.

I'm frustrated at all this Armor Ability garbage on display today trying to be passed as saved Halo and the fact that almost noone else seems to care about it.
Ah, I see. Sadly, I'm just making do with the web stuff.

You're not wrong, there's a disturbing amount of Jetpacking on display in these videos, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Classic Slayer game or something was on display by or shortly after the multiplayer panel on Sunday. The more fanciful armor abilities still draw in a less hardcore crowd, so that's what they're showing, and they've got plenty of time to appease the hardcore who are already happy with just the changes they've shown off.

soldat7

claviertekky said:
Did anyone remember what Halo 2 was like before that balance patch back in the day?

The Magnum was actually decent. You could destroy a Warthog with ease with the Magnum/SMG combo.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
soldat7 said:
The Magnum was actually decent. You could destroy a Warthog with ease with the Magnum/SMG combo.
Really? How did that work?

Havok

omg.kittens said:
Really? How did that work?
Vehicle health was tied to driver health. It wasn't 100% of the damage that you would sustain outside of the vehicle, but it was enough to keep them from being indestructible, while letting you survive long enough to get where you were going. If you were good, you'd use vehicles in guerilla tactics.

ElRenoRaven

Havok said:
Vehicle health was tied to driver health. It wasn't 100% of the damage that you would sustain outside of the vehicle, but it was enough to keep them from being indestructible, while letting you survive long enough to get where you were going. If you were good, you'd use vehicles in guerilla tactics.

Yup. I was damn good at that too. I could keep a Warthog that looked like total shit still alive and kicking. I loved that. I would have preferred vehicles like Halo 1 sure but if they have to go with damage to them then I think Halo 2's is the way to go to be honest.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, cool, never knew.

Vehicle health is one of my biggest gripes about Reach. I've had countless encounters where my direct rocket hit barely scratches a Warthog. And I dunno, correct me if I'm misguided, but shouldn't sticking a plasma grenade to a Hog be a sure kill? Wasn't that how it was in past games?

It feels wrong that the best methods for taking out vehicles are the Splaser and Snipe.

ManBearPanda

Neo Member
I love all the TU information so far, especially the multiplayer map reveals/confirmations (HEADLONG OMG YES; Timberland was the best Halo 1 BTB map, come at me Blood Gulch bros). Certainly, 343's real test is still going to be how Halo 4 turns out, but to deploy this significant an update this late into a game's life (relatively speaking), definitely gets them brownie points from me.

The one thing the gaffers at Halofest keep an eye out for is the framerate and performance on the maps. Reach was (surprisingly) terrible about its performance, and I sincerely hope 343 and Certain Affinity kept in mind the limitations of the engine when designing the maps, lest we get another Glacier/Forge World fiasco.

soldat7

ManBearPanda said:
The one thing the gaffers at Halofest keep an eye out for is the framerate and performance on the maps. Reach was (surprisingly) terrible about its performance, and I sincerely hope 343 and Certain Affinity kept in mind the limitations of the engine when designing the maps, lest we get another Glacier/Forge World fiasco.

Framerate in Reach has always been just fine, Forge World is no exception.

Havok

soldat7 said:
Uh...Asylum is hardly playable when you're scoped down the sniper walkways. Glacier is a goddamn nightmare when you're up by the research facility looking out. I don't think that he's off-base with his concerns.

ElRenoRaven

soldat7 said:

Um I'm as big a defender of the game as anyone but it does have a few framerate issues. Namely on some Forgeworld maps and Glacier in firefight. Also there are a time or two in campaign when it dips. More so depending on how one plays it.

feel

lybertyboy said:
We're going to do our damnedest to get the panels up on Waypoint as soon as possible. No promises on when that will be.

Also, could someone link me to this "pistol montage" video? I suspect that what you're actually seeing is a zero bloom pistol. We actually adjusted the rate of fire for the Anniversary magnum.
lybertyboy said:
Yep, that's what I thought. None of those shots are with the Anniversary magnum. Those clips were from ZBS or zero bloom slayer matches.
I missed these posts before.

Wanted to say thank you and fuck yeah!! Hype restablished. I hope the Anniversary multiplayer panel is actually about what the Anniversary multiplayer is supposed to be.

Also, the AR sounded good enough. :)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
soldat7 said:
I guess you mostly use the AR then?

Try scoping in a Forge World map. You'll see.

Khezu

This is kinda silly but headlong returning is the reason I'm going to buy the halo CE anniversary.
Kinda sad it doesn't seem to come with all the reach map packs like ODST did with halo 3, but eh.

Now if only waterworks could make it into reach, that would be awesome. Halo 2 had some awesome maps.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I come home, and I'm overwhelmed by all the Halo news. I may have to eat my hat and say I'm actually excited for Halo: CEA now from all of this news that has come from 343. Thanks to OP and Forward Unto Dawn for keeping me on track.

What has me MOST hype though is this Halo 4 art in this video. Do we have HD of these pictures yet? Did I miss the discussion on these pictures, concept art, architecture and ship design? Tons of tidbits about Halo 4 were dropped today, goddamn. Still gotta watch the terminals.

clav

enzo_gt said:
I come home, and I'm overwhelmed by all the Halo news. I may have to eat my hat and say I'm actually excited for Halo: CEA now from all of this news that has come from 343. Thanks to OP and Forward Unto Dawn for keeping me on track.

What has me MOST hype though is this Halo 4 art in this video. Do we have HD of these pictures yet? Did I miss the discussion on these pictures, concept art, architecture and ship design? Tons of tidbits about Halo 4 were dropped today, goddamn. Still gotta watch the terminals.
Sunday morning (10:00 AM PST) is when the Halo 4 panel reveals some more juicy details.

Who knows? We may even get a video or even a live demo although I highly doubt the later.

senador

Banned
I posted the following in the Reach thread, but it could go here too. I hope this is answered on Sunday in the multiplayer panel. My brain hurts. I just want to figure out which thing I should actually be excited for.

senador said:
I am now more confused than ever about how the changes and such will be implemented into matchmaking. They remove bloom and add melee bleed through and its assumed there will be no AAs for classic play. They say Reach as it is won't be touched. But then they also nerd some AAs. They also are adding an "Anniversary" pistol as well as no boom. Super lost now.

Possibilities I can think of:

1. CEA Classic Playlists, Reach as-is playlists, and modified Reach with no bloom and other tweaks
2. CEA Classic Playlists, Reach playlists with tweaks even though they say "no-changes"
3. CEA Classic Playlists, but add new "Zero Bloom Slayer" game types for Reach playlists
4. CEA Classic Playlists with gametype options for AA or no AA gametypes

I am hoping for the 2nd, but that doesn't seem likely. So which is it? I am super confused. Am I right, or did I miss something?

I always knew that Reach wasn't beyond saving and holy fuck are 343 saving it. Everything about this TU just looks so good. Everything.

My only wish now is that the majority of the player population abandons vanilla Reach so 343 can just switch everything over to Classic++ and we can pretend that first year never happened.

I wonder where the DMR will be placed in bloomless 3SK gametypes. Semi-sniper? Seems redundant.

And why does IGN have their HaloIGN Youtube channel if they're not even going to upload every video there? Their website player is ass.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Letters said:

we haven't shown a single stripped classic gametype yet. So you know...

ElRenoRaven

Ajemsuhgao said:
God that Warthog looks like complete ass. Everything that I've seen on Halo 4 looks..just..horrible. Like someone just learned how to bevel things and went to town. Gameplay better be amazing for this game.

You know I want to try and deny what you said but I can't. I really can't. I sit here trying to honestly find something I've liked about what we've seen of Halo 4 so far but can't find anything. I don't like the way Cortana looked in the trailer. I don't like the armor Chief has on. I don't like the Warthog design for Halo 4 that is in Forza 4.

I guess the one thing I can say is give them a chance. The stuff in that teaser trailer is very very early and wasn't in game. Things change. I really hope they do. The Warthog can change too. Just because it's in Forza looking like that doesn't mean it will look that way in Halo 4. So far 343 have done a good job of listening to the community. So I'm going to give them every chance. I will not write them off till I have rented Halo 4 first. Keep in mind i know you haven't either. Once I rent it I will play it and judge them based off of what I played. If it sucks I'm done. I walk away and move on. I won't make any sites saying how much they suck and it sucks. I won't go into the threads talking shit. I'll just move on. If it kicks ass I'll go buy it. And I'll probably buy future one's without a thought. I don't kid though when I say Halo 4 is 343's true test.

Keep in mind I'm hard on them only because I love the franchise and universe that Bungie has created here. I'm sure the people at 343 do too. I've also seen others Bungie created though taken over when given up and either left to rot or run into the ground. Now with all that said it doesn't matter if it turns out good or bad. I'll still have respect for everyone who works at 343. There are good people working there.

Ok time to lighten the mood again. Dat Anniversary!!!!

Barrow Roll said:
And why does IGN have their HaloIGN Youtube channel if they're not even going to upload every video there? Their website player is ass.

I'm sure they will. It just takes a hell of a lot longer to upload to youtube and it's faster to get it up on their site so people can see it.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Holy shit at the community panel. I was actually nervous when Dust Storm started talking, as I made a few controversial appearances on that show. Luckily he stuck to only mentioning his favorites.

Very cool to see all these folks on one panel, but very sad I couldn't actually attend. Would have loved to meet them face to face. :_(

The details shown and revealed at HaloFest have really made me not want to touch Reach until the TU and Beta Hoppers are out.

I need that bloomless gameplay now!

Top Bottom