• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloFest |OT| 10 Years of Halo - Streaming Panels, Grunt Plushies, The future of Halo

I'm super stoked for the TU. (Yay, no Bloom!), but some things seem to have gone untouched:

- Grenade damage
- Vehicle health and physics
- Inertia (I didn't notice it really until just recently. It makes strafing pointless.)
- And mostly importantly the Banshee. Both air maneuvers and Banshee bomb.

Maybe there will somehow be more light shed on those matters in the future.

wwm0nkey

You know what, we still haven't heard about that armor weird armor yet, wonder how many other surprises Halo Fest has in store for us.

Havok

UltimaPooh said:
I didn't say it shouldn't be balanced... But what was said in the OP basically makes it worthless... Of course it's only for the classic playlist.
Watch the Damnation gameplay video on Waypoint. At 4:30 Armor Lock works exactly as it should - the guy survives something that would have ordinarily killed him, and the meter drains by maybe a quarter. It's not as drastic as your reaction makes it out to be. And shrugging off stickies was always a terrible design decision.

Ken

UltimaPooh said:
But what was said in the OP basically makes it worthless...

Nope.

Armor Lock still helps you survive certain situations like a grenade going off or a melee while your shields are off. The only difference is that the new Armor Lock requires players to be a lot more careful with when and how they use it instead of just spamming it at the slightest sound of gunfire or a grenade.

ElRenoRaven

-Yeti said:
I'm super stoked for the TU. (Yay, no Bloom!), but some things seem to have gone untouched:

- Grenade damage
- Vehicle health and physics
- Inertia (I didn't notice it really until just recently. It makes strafing pointless.)
- And mostly importantly the Banshee. Both air maneuvers and Banshee bomb.

Maybe there will somehow be more light shed on those matters in the future.

Yea. I just picture it being harder to change how Vehicle health is handled along with the physics of it. Those would be some pretty deep engine changes. More so on the physics side. And 343 has said that they don't want to touch anything that really really can cause some massive problems with other things. That's also probably why we won't see a change to the Banshee either.

Havok said:
Watch the Damnation gameplay video on Waypoint. At 4:30 Armor Lock works exactly as it should - the guy survives something that would have ordinarily killed him, and the meter drains by maybe a quarter. It's not as drastic as your reaction makes it out to be. And shrugging off stickies was always a terrible design decision.

Yup. Usually it ends up flying over onto a teammate too. That's the one thing that really really bugged me about it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Oozer3993 said:
Good God Headlong is beautiful. It's the only map I really wanted to be remade and to see it happen is just awesome.

terrific map, but i am quite disappointing that it seems to be literally headlong from halo 2 with a reach coat of paint. i would have much preferred an entire reworking of the aesthetic myself, like all the other remakes thus far, than an orange and grey industrial/construction zone again. yuk.

PsychoRaven said:
Yea. I just picture it being harder to change how Vehicle health is handled along with the physics of it. Those would be some pretty deep engine changes. More so on the physics side. And 343 has said that they don't want to touch anything that really really can cause some massive problems with other things. That's also probably why we won't see a change to the Banshee either.

Hmm.. yeah makes sense. I just hope they consider these things throughout the development of Halo 4 then. I guess I can just suck it up and deal with it until then. :D

Devolution said:
I wouldn't shed a tear if AL was gone for the most part. It just ruins the whole pace of the game.

Indeed. Gotta give it to 343 for actually making it somewhat balanced though.

op_ivy said:
terrific map, but i am quite disappointing that it seems to be literally headlong from halo 2 with a reach coat of paint. i would have much preferred an entire reworking of the aesthetic myself, like all the other remakes thus far, than an orange and grey industrial/construction zone again. yuk.
It's better to keep it looking like the original. I hate when maps get ruined when they are "re-imagined".

ElRenoRaven

-Yeti said:
Hmm.. yeah makes sense. I just hope they consider these things throughout the development of Halo 4 then. I guess I can just suck it up and deal with it until then. :D

Oh I'm sure they are. 343 will without a doubt want to put their own spin on things so I expect everything to play a little differently then past games. I hope they would actually make a return back toward Halo & Halo 2 vehicle designs and qualities personally. Although I would love to see the chopper return somehow.

wwm0nkey

op_ivy said:
Oh god no, I like how its still set in New Mombasa.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Syphon Filter said:
It's better to keep it looking like the original. I hate when maps get ruined when they are "re-imagined".

it was ugly then, its ugly now.

PsychoRaven said:
Oh I'm sure they are. 343 will without a doubt want to put their own spin on things so I expect everything to play a little differently then past games. I hope they would actually make a return back toward Halo & Halo 2 vehicle designs and qualities personally.

Yeah, for sure.

After seeing what they've done in CEA and the TU, I have a good confirmation that Halo 4 is going to be a really good game.

Dirtbag

Phonomezer said:
343 are fantastic, really makes me excited to see what they come up with for Halo 4.

Settle down tonto. They are off to a great start, but this is a re-skinned version of an existing game running on someone else's engine featuring remade mp maps all originally envisioned by a different studio.

ElRenoRaven

Dirtbag said:
Settle down tonto. They are off to a great start, but this is a re-skinned version of an existing game running on someone else's engine featuring remade maps all envisioned by a different studio.

Exactly. Halo 4 is their first true test. Sure this stuff gives hope but until we see what they can do in full without outside studios helping we don't know what they are truly capable of.

CrazedArabMan said:
So will the panel video that was just going on (the funny one according to people in here) be going up for those of us who missed it?

Yup both IGN and Halo Waypoint will be uploading them for those that didn't watch live.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dirtbag said:
Settle down tonto. They are off to a great start, but this is a re-skinned version of an existing game running on someone else's engine featuring remade mp maps all originally envisioned by a different studio.

Reality Check lol

Just saw an IGN walkthrough of Anniversary and the jump from 10 years ago is pretty impressive, I can't get it this year because of too many games, but I can't wait to play it next year.

Dirtbag said:

Eh, it's just nice to see someone not fuck anything up for a change :p

Light years ahead of any other of the remakes this gen in any case.

Dirtbag

I think all this tells me is that the have a good art team that aren't trying to change what made halo, halo. And also sounds like they are into some serious fan service. Which can be both good and bad. I thought the reach campaign was genius but the MP didn't catch for me. I just hope they make a good game at the end of the day, because Halo is a brand I'll always turn my head for. They've proven nothing yet.

ElRenoRaven

*Edit* Oops meant to edit that into the previous post.

To be exact these panels are what we still have coming. All times are Pacific time.

Saturday:

12:00pm-1:00pm
Hatching the Cosmic Halo Egg

At this year's PAX, Halo Fest is enormous! But ten years ago, it only took a small core of ambitious Bungie developers to fill the Halo universe with life. In this panel, the birth mother and father of Halo – Joseph Staten and Marty O'Donnell – along with a handful of Bungie alumni discuss the origins and development of the Halo franchise, and field your questions from the Community.

2:00pm-3:00pm
Halo: Building a Universe of Toys and Collectibles.

Meet some of the biggest names in the toy and collectible industry and get an exclusive first look at upcoming Halo products! Get the scoop from fan favorites McFarlane Toys, MEGA Bloks, and NKOK.

3:30pm-4:30pm
Halo Universe Fiction

Join Frank O'Connor and Kevin Grace as well as special Halo guests Greg Bear and Karen Traviss for a discussion of the first 10 years of Halo and what's coming next!

5:00pm-6:00pm
Halo Anniversary Campaign Discussion

Can't get enough Silent Cartographer? Does Assault on the Control Room make you weak in the knees? If so, this panel discussing the reimagining of the classic single player Campaign is a can't-miss!

Then Sunday we have:

10:00am-11:00am
Halo 4

Here is your first chance to see and hear from the 343 Industries team that is creating the exciting next chapter in Master Chief's heroic story. Panelists include Franchise Development Director Frank O'Connor, Creative Director Josh Holmes, Executive Producer Kiki Wolfkill, Senior Art Director Kenneth Scott, and Audio Director Sotaro Tojima.

11:30pm-12:15pm
Xbox talks 10 years of Halo!

How does a new multiplayer service prepare for the Halo juggernaut? Just how wrong were the projections for concurrent players? Which panelist thought that an FPS on the console could not possibly be any fun? Join founding members of the Xbox team, Doug Hebenthal and Jerry Hook, as well as Eric Neustadter ("e"), Larry Hryb, Xbox Live's Major Nelson, and Stephen "Stepto" Toulouse to discuss how Halo helped shape Xbox Live.

12:45pm-1:30pm
Halo Anniversary Multiplayer

Want to get all the nitty-gritty on Halo Anniversary's Multiplayer? Do you have questions about the Reach Title Update? If so, this is the panel for you!

3:15pm-4:00pm
Red Vs. Blue Table Read

Join the (voices of) The Galaxy's Dumbest Recruits as they attempt to learn their scripts to recor

Didn't 343 do their own maps for Reach? i am not worried at all for Halo 4,they all seem like big Halo fans. You got Frank ,Shishka and other former Bungie guys there.

ElRenoRaven

Syphon Filter said:
Didn't 343 do their own maps for Reach? i am not worried at all for Halo 4,they all seem like big Halo fans. You got Frank ,Shishka and other former Bungie guys there.

Nope. Certain Affinity did the second batch and Bungie did the first batch.

Arnie

Dirtbag said:
I think all this tells me is that the have a good art team that aren't trying to change what made halo, halo. And also sounds like they are into some serious fan service. Which can be both good and bad. I thought the reach campaign was genius but the MP didn't catch for me. I just hope they make a good game at the end of the day, because Halo is a brand I'll always turn my head for. They've proven nothing yet.
This. Although if i was to choose how Halo 4 would turn out, I'd want the multiplayer to hook me, not the campaign.

ElRenoRaven

Dug said:
How many of these/past panels have been recorded/will be recorded for the entire thing?

All panels are being live streamed and recorded. IGN and Waypoint will be putting up the panels from today at some time in the future and IGN I would expect to have todays over the next 24 hours or so.

delta25

Banned
Dirtbag said:

I was under the impression that this was Saber Interactives engine for the CE remake?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Dirtbag said:

I think if they've proven anything it's that they're listening to fans as you mentioned. While I don't share the same opinion with many fans it seems like everything that's been added/changed has been pretty widely desired. I know I've asked for Prisoner on a few occasions. But I do agree that it's not always the best thing to do. I think that a large amount of players either don't really know what they want or don't know anything.

ElRenoRaven

Dug said:
How many of these/past panels have been recorded/will be recorded for the entire thing?

Oh and if you are wondering what panels were today these are the ones they had today.

10:00am-11:00am
Halo: Anniversary

The team responsible for the 2011 reimagining of the classic Xbox title pull back the curtain on the process behind bringing Halo: Anniversary to gamers. Panelists include Executive Producer Dan Ayoub, Producer Dennis Ries, Franchise Development Director Frank O'Connor, Franchise Manager Kevin Grace, and more!

12:00pm-1:00pm
Halo Community: Fragging, Forge and Flowers.

Kick off your PAX weekend right by hanging out with some of Halo's most dedicated Community leaders. There is a Community meet-up immediately following in the Waypoint Lounge.

2:00pm-3:00pm
What's Next for Waypoint

bs angel gets the scoop on the future of Waypoint from the team behind it.

4:00pm-5:00pm
Halo Universe

Come be a part of the 10th anniversary celebration as we welcome some of the people who helped bring the universe to life. Panelists include Franchise Development Director Frank O'Connor, Legendary Composer Marty O'Donnell, Franchise Manager Kevin Grace, Pete Stacker (Captain Jacob Keyes), Tim Dadabo (343 Guilty Spark), and Steve Downes (Master Chief). They also had Jen Taylor (Cortana) as a surprise to this panel also.

Booshka

A lot of good news today, hopefully there is something to do with strafing in the TU, Reach needs it badly.

I still don't plan on buying CEA (pissed there is no CE MP so I'm protesting with my dollars) but a lot of what 343 are doing looks good and bodes well for Halo 4. We shall see.

I also almost put Sai Kun on ignore, I was skimming through this thread and loading Gaga gifs every page got annoying lol.

wwm0nkey said:
You know what, we still haven't heard about that armor weird armor yet, wonder how many other surprises Halo Fest has in store for us.

Im surprised we havent seen it pop up in any promo videos or pictures today. I guess we may hear about that sunday in the Anniversary MP Panel. Cant wait for a proper unveiling of Headlong. Hopefully we get Hang em High on sunday as well.

Sai-kun

Banned
I was out biking for the last panel :( I hope it goes up soon!

Booshka said:
I also almost put Sai Kun on ignore, I was skimming through this thread and loading Gaga gifs every page got annoying lol.

Can your computer not handle 2 gifs every page? we need a :rofl

soldat7

Headlong looks perfect. It's Timberland that should have had aesthetic changes. We already have Forge World.

Sai-kun said:

It's just that Lady Gaga is hideous.

Farooq

Banned
I think ShortBizzle pointed it out.

But Hang em High definitely looks like it could be a forgeable space. Which would be interesting.

After the first month of Reach, I grew tired of forge world maps. I got tired of them a lot faster than Sandbox in Halo 3. A new forge space would be nice.

MrBig

Farooq said:
After the first month of Reach, I got tired of forge world maps. I got tired of them a lot faster than Sandbox in Halo 3. A new forge space would be nice.
The problems lies with the gray pallet.

Striker

Armor Lock's home should have been Big Team and Invasion ONLY.

But Bungie screwed that pooch and let it remain on 4v4 Slayer games and so on, which led to AL cheese with grenades and melee. It is on Bungie's hands and their hands only. They also are to blame for allowing Evade on a Spartan, which is my biggest annoyance out of EVERY available AA they have. It is as broken, if not more, in 4v4 games and in smaller maps than AL is.

Havok said:
Don't hold your breath.

DLC search restriction setting please.
Well aside from Premium Battle still being 6v6, I am not overly optimistic about getting Headlong back to its original roots.

I still have these questions and concerns for Reach's Headlong:

- DMR's 3x scope and range
- Banshee bomb and maneuverability
- no flag or bomb contesting, proximity based, Halo 2 style
- sudden death being fixed, Halo 2 style, has been broken in Halo 3 and Reach
- weapon changes (is there a fucking Laser on the map?)
- Sniper wrecking vehicles, which also wrecks vehicular gameplay as the Laser does

MrBig said:
The problems lies with the gray pallet.
Compared to the brown/dirt color from Foundry or the horrid orange/brown with jaggies in Sandbox?

All Forged homes have had issues with its pallet.

Farooq said:
I think ShortBizzle pointed it out.

But Hang em High definitely looks like it could be a forgeable space. Which would be interesting.

After the first month of Reach, I grew tired of forge world maps. I got tired of them a lot faster than Sandbox in Halo 3. A new forge space would be nice.

It would be so nice, but at this point im not hoping for it. Maybe we will get a separate standalone forgeworld 2.0 map down the line. I agree, forgeworld really is a bit drab.

I know Bungie had talked about the possibility of weather and time of day filters. I would love to see that implemented in a future forgemap. Or better yet, the ability to swap texture pallets on forge pieces.

soldat7 said:
It's just that Lady Gaga is hideous.

This is what I'd imagine Sai is doing right now:

BY0nl.gif

Dug

Banned
Thanks for all the info PsychoRaven!

Plywood said:
So will the Anniversary settings be able to make the DMR act like the BR?

Serious question.
Who the heck is that in your avatar?

Booshka

Sai-kun said:
I have MLG Raleigh on in the background, and every little stutter that loading a Gaga gif causes to the stream feels monumentally stupid and unnecessary.

And yes, my computer is a 10 year old piece of shit.

ElRenoRaven

Dug said:
Thanks for all the info PsychoRaven!

Who the heck is that in your avatar?

Don't thank me. I just copied and pasted from IGN. lol

Sai-kun said:
:lol Okay, sorry guys, I'll tone the Gaga down a bit.

lmao @ the neckstretch gif. That was literally me.

Oh don't worry man. I'm sure we all understand that you were excited and got carried away. It's all good.

Top Bottom