• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloFest |OT| 10 Years of Halo - Streaming Panels, Grunt Plushies, The future of Halo

Gui_PT said:
And heeeere come the complaints about the music. It's if doesn't sound 100% like Halo, people won't like it.

sheesh people, learn to ADAPT
Why should we accept any trash thrown in our face? Not saying the music in this trailer is bad just saying in general you shouldn't accept anything just because you feel you need to.

ElRenoRaven

Vire said:
My biggest problem with the music is that it sounded like Close Encounters of The Third Kind and not Halo. Halo music is about bombast, violins and a feeling of somberness but exploration. This was cheesy synth sounds and it felt like the audio director totally didn't recognize what makes Halo - Halo. It sounds like he was just told okay, you are in this sci-fi world embarking on a new planet and it's all very futuristic. Marty's music is nothing remotely like this.

I will say the concept work looks phenomenal but that isn't always indicative of a final product (Halo Wars). Considering they just said they've been working on it for YEARS you would think they could show off at least an in game teaser.

I'll agree there. You'd think they would have if not an in engine trailer at least another CG trailer that hints at more. That was the one big letdown of this panel I think.

Sibylus

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Yea. How dare we want our Halo music to sound like Halo. HOW DARE WE!!!!

*Keep in mind I am neutral on the music. It was very meh I thought.
The tone and instrumentation of Marty's scores are so varied that a "Halo score" could be quite a few different things (compare Halo 1, 3, and ODST in particular). The music heard so far isn't a much of a stretch at all.

senador said:
Also, we don't even know for sure if that is officially Halo 4 music.

That is what everyone needs to remember. They've already said the Chief armor wasn't final, at this point we can't assume anything they show is going to used or final.

soldat7

Syphon Filter said:
Why should we accept any trash thrown in our face? Not saying the music in this trailer is bad just saying in general you shouldn't accept anything just because you feel you need to.

There's no telling what will or won't be in the game regarding the music. I'd personally love it if those music elements made it into the final product.

watership

Letters said:
Yeah, Reach wasn't 343i's fault, but a lot of people don't know or care of who's at the helm and in what conditions, they just don't like Reach (even if they play it every day because of the social aspect) and are unsure about the future of Halo.

I thought Reach was one of the best Halo games. Shrug.

ElRenoRaven

Treythalomew said:
That is what everyone needs to remember. They've already said the Chief armor wasn't final, at this point we can't assume anything they show is going to used or final.

Exactly. So we don't need to get in this big argument over the music yet. We really haven't been shown anything that is remotely even probably even 25 percent completed.

Flipyap

This certainly got me more hyped for the books, but I still have no idea what to expect from the game part of 343. I really wish they'd get that CE reskin out of the way already, so we can start getting some actual info about Halo 4 this year. I hope we won't have to wait until E3 because of this.

Falagard said:
So, I saw a group of marines holding their guns in the air in that video. Anyone else?

Also, from what Frankie said, it sounds to me like lot of time has passed since Halo 3 while the Master Chief was in cryo, and that humanity has now had the time to analyze and make use of Forerunner tech to augment their weapons.

It definitely seems like an evolved UNSC will be involved somewhere in this trilogy.

I don't know how I feel about them delving into Master Chief's story. I felt like the solitary moments in the Halo trilogy were done with a sense of restraint that really benefit his character and made his moments all the more stronger in Halo 3.

I wish someone asked about the mood of the game. The original trilogy can be quite quirky, especially with the Chief's dry humor, Sarge and Cortana's snarkiness. It balanced that feel of adventure and intensity the same way the original Star Wars and Indiana Jones trilogies did.

Will we see a light-hearted side in Halo 4?

Gui_PT

Wow, stupid replies about the music lol

I didn't say you shouldn't not want the music to sound like Halo. I said you people will automatically hate anything that doesn't sound like Halo (which is unfair)

And "trash thrown in our face"? Really? Defensive much? Music sounded awesome. I also didn't say I'd accept anything they "threw" at us or that you should. But that sounded nothing like trash. Chill, bromango. Chill.

Halo fans be weird. Obsessively picky.

Pennybags

Falagard said:
So, I saw a group of marines holding their guns in the air in that video. Anyone else?

Also, from what Frankie said, it sounds to me like lot of time has passed since Halo 3 while the Master Chief was in cryo, and that humanity has now had the time to analyze and make use of Forerunner tech to augment their weapons.

Between the comments made about researching Forerunner tech and the focus on humans in the next Bear novel, looks like a major theme going forward is that of humanity becoming a vast and major power
again
. "Reclaiming" a lost legacy.

Music is appropriate for the mood. Mysterious technology, yadda yadda.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, that's it, Halo 4 media blackout for me. I really want to go into this game with a sense of awe and wonder. See yall in the Reach thread. <3

ElRenoRaven

Gui_PT said:
I didn't say you shouldn't not want the music to sound like Halo. I said you people will automatically hate anything that doesn't sound like Halo (which is unfair)

Keep in mind I'm assuming your double negative wasn't intentional. Um you know you just conceeded to the haters. You basically just said that it was ok to want music to sound like Halo and then said that music didn't sound like Halo.

Lingitiz

Flipyap said:
This certainly got me more hyped for the books, but I still have no idea what to expect from the game part of 343. I really wish they'd get that CE reskin out of the way already, so we can start getting some actual info about Halo 4 this year. I hope we won't have to wait until E3 because of this.
Most likely until the VGA's or some secret within CEA.

Vire

Gui_PT said:
Wow, stupid replies about the music lol

And "trash thrown in our face"? Really? Defensive much? Music sounded awesome. I also didn't say I'd accept anything they "threw" at us or that you should. But that sounded nothing like trash. Chill, bromango. Chill.

Halo fans be weird. Obsessively picky.
Why should we want things that doesn't sound like Halo? The audio is just as important as any facet of the game. That's like saying it's okay for the gameplay not to be Halo or the visuals. It's important to remain consistent. As I said earlier, if it was a Mass Effect trailer I would be completely fine with it, but the first time I heard Marty's ODST score, I literally got shivers and goosebumps down my spine. You could tell it was familiar but different. Even though it was more noire and jazzy, it was still recognizable as Halo music. This was nothing like that feeling, I felt nothing.

-PXG-

cory021 said:
Damn, I missed the Halo 4 panel :(

You didn't miss much. A bunch of beating around the bush and stupid questions. Some cool insight on the audio though. The concept art teaser at the end was nice too.

I have already come to the realization and acceptance that Halo 4, 5, and 6 are not being developed by Bungie and the music not by Marty. While I am not saying I will just love anything 343i manages to make, I do fully understand that this new trilogy will be different than the last and artistic liberties will be taken. Don't get me wrong, I understand and they understand that you cannot stray too far from the proven path but I am very accepting on a new direction. I saw and played what Bungie did for their games and what Marty did for the music. But, I am content with a new direction. Some people complained that the Halo franchise was too stagnant (not me though) in certain things by having the games being so similar. This is a chance to stay in the roots of Halo and go in a slightly new direction. Variety is the spice of life.

I liked the concept art trailer and the music was very nice.

Few more concept art pics,

uL7ay.jpg

Y0mLn.jpg

2xt2k.jpg

Bhww5.jpg

UOHlu.jpg

d7yTk.jpg

adS3F.jpg

U6EqA.jpg

eqLg4.jpg

5RGIH.jpg

YkxVI.jpg

QzinE.jpg

AXIEP.jpg

kftnZ.jpg

MYzms.jpg

Karl2177

Vire said:
Why should we want things that doesn't sound like Halo? The audio is just as important as any facet of the game. That's like saying the gameplay isn't Halo or the visuals aren't Halo. It's important to remain consistent. As I said earlier, if it was a Mass Effect trailer I would be completely fine with it, but the first time I heard Marty's ODST score, I literally got shivers and goosebumps down my spine. You could tell it was familiar but different. Even though it was more noire and jazzy, it was still recognizable as Halo music. This was nothing like that feeling, I felt nothing.
Should have listened more to the bass/baritone lines in it. They had the typical Halo pattern and movement. From what I can remember of it, it was some cool upper synths on the bass lines.

EDIT: On second listening, I'm losing the bass lines of it. I can see where you are coming from now, but I do like that it is taking Halo in a different direction.

Gui_PT

PsychoRaven said:
Keep in mind I'm assuming your double negative wasn't intentional. Um you know you just conceeded to the haters.

You basically just said that it was ok to want music to sound like Halo and then said that music didn't sound like Halo.

Uhm.. What? I don't even know how to respond to that.

It IS ok to want it to sound like Halo. It DOESN'T sound like Halo.

What people are doing it is HATING some 60second bit of music because it doesn't sound 100% like Halo. It's unfair to hate something you know very little about.

Edit: Would you people calm down if I said "it doesn't sound 100% like Halo" ?
I don't understand why you guys are being so defensive... Just don't hate stuff you don't know.

Flipyap

Lingitiz said:
Most likely until the VGA's or some secret within CEA.
Ohh, right! I forgot about VGAs, I thought Tokyo Game Show was the last big event this year. Well, then... fingers crossed for a proper trailer in December!

watership said:
I thought Reach was one of the best Halo games. Shrug.

So do most people. The people who complain about bloom and armor abilities are actually just an extremely vocal minority.

If you don't like Reach, you're not going to like Halo 4, because you're not going to like any Halo game that isn't a carbon copy whatever Halo game you first seriously got into.

ElRenoRaven

Gui_PT said:
Uhm.. What? I don't even know how to respond to that.

It IS ok to want it to sound like Halo. It DOESN'T sound like Halo.

What people are doing it is HATING some 60second bit of music because it doesn't sound 100% like Halo. It's unfair to hate something you know very little about.

So which is it? They can hate it for not sounding like Halo or they can't? Maybe we're just crossing communication here or something.

Gui_PT

PsychoRaven said:
So which is it? They can hate it for not sounding like Halo or they can't? Maybe we're just crossing communication here or something.

Oh God...

I'm done.

Edit: You know what, no I'm not.

You can want it to sound like Halo. But you can't IMMEDIATELY HATE IT AND SAY IT'S TRASH JUST BECAUSE IT DOESN'T. You heard a goddamn snippet of a song we don't even know if it's going to be in the game or not.

Give it time before you hate something. It's like you people are Hate Bots or something. Programmed to hate something different.

PooBone

I have a feeling that music came from Jack Wall. As others have said it sounds like Mass Effect. Jack Wall was the composer for Bioware on Mass Effect 1 and 2 but left saying it was "time to move on." Whatever project he's working on hasn't been revealed.

Salmonbottle said:
So do most people. The people who complain about bloom and armor abilities are actually just an extremely vocal minority.

If you don't like Reach, you're not going to like Halo 4, because you're not going to like any Halo game that isn't a carbon copy whatever Halo game you first seriously got into.
Failed logic,Halo 4 wont be like Reach especially with another developer. Also 343 even has the new title update for Reach that makes things better even for fans that didn't like the armor abilities.

PooBone

PsychoRaven said:
Jesus man, it's not rocket science you 2 are discussing. He's saying if the entire score sounds nothing like Halo, then be upset, but being upset of a 60 clip that may or may not be in the game is stupid.

Sibylus

Banned
Amused at how narrowly we're defining what a Halo score sounds like here, and how we're collectively ignoring the liberties Marty took (sometimes very big ones) with each passing game.

PooBone

delta25 said:
5RGIH.jpg

+
ngbbs4cf4b4b25b424.jpg

Hmmmmmmm
I thought that too, but the same game claimed Nemesis was a remake of Halo CE with flashback sequences from MC's past thrown in, and the other screen from that project was of Silent Cartographer and looked like total shit.

Gui_PT

PooBone said:
Jesus man, it's not rocket science you 2 are discussing. He's saying if the entire score sounds nothing like Halo, then be upset, but being upset of a 60 clip that may or may not be in the game is stupid.

Thank

You

Top Bottom