• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloFest |OT| 10 Years of Halo - Streaming Panels, Grunt Plushies, The future of Halo

Vire

A quote from the remaining Precursor:

"We meet again, young one. I am the last of those that gave you breath and shape and form, millions of years ago.

I am the last of those your kind rose up against and ruthlessly destroyed.

I am the last Precursor.

And our answer is at hand."

So maybe the sole precursor remaining is controlling the flood as a plot of revenge towards the Forerunners. I don't see why the humans would fight the forerunners, it doesn't make much sense unless someone could rationalize an explanation for me.

PsychoRaven said:
I wouldn't mind a Forerunner human war. Would be interesting as hell. That's for sure.
I don't think we'll get that. Humanity isn't in a position to wage any sort of war immediately following the end of the Human-Covenant War. (I think IGN said somewhere that Halo 4 takes place in 2554, I read it on here somewhere). And given the technology of the Forerunners, it'll be completely one-sided.

clav

All right GAF.

Where do I start for Halo 4 content? I've already seen the Forza video and Halo 4 booth videos before today.

ElRenoRaven

Dax01 said:
I don't think we'll get that. Humanity isn't in a position to wage any sort of war immediately following the end of the Human-Covenant War. (I think IGN said somewhere that Halo 4 takes place in 2554, I read it on here somewhere). And given the technology of the Forerunners, it'll be completely one-sided.

They haven't said yet. The 2554 is where someone saw the Warthog mention in Forza 4 is the 2554 model. So when it comes to actual Halo 4 nothing has been said on when it actually takes place yet.

Vire

Dax01 said:
Frankie said that the 2554 date on the Warthog is a misnomer and not an accurate depiction of when it takes place due to the Warthogs being manufactured two years ahead of time. So the Warthog onboard with Chief saying 2554, doesn't exactly mean much.

ElRenoRaven

Salvor.Hardin said:
Who are the Precursors? Were they introduced in Halo Cryptum?

Yup. They were the Forerunner's Forerunners except they were still alive at the same time the Forerunners were still around. That's the easiest way to put it without spoiling a lot.

Salvor.Hardin said:
Who are the Precursors? Were they introduced in Halo Cryptum?
Technically in Halo 3. They were a species that governed the galaxy before the Forerunners, but mysteriously disappeared. The Forerunners saw them as custodians of the Galaxy, and took up their "Mantle" of Protector. A Mantle they eventually passed down to humans.

In Halo: Cryptum, it's revealed one of the Precursors is still alive, and was kept contained on Charum Hakkor, a former Human colony. The Forerunners conquered the planet during their war with prehistoric humans, and the Didact managed to briefly speak to the Precursor, which is referred to as "The Prisoner". It's described as a big, arthropodal creature, and can communicate telepathically with the Didact. It tells him he's the last of his kind, and he will make the Forerunners pay for destroying the Precursors. When a Halo ring is ignited near Charum Hakkor, the prisoner manages to escape. It is assumed he is the main antagonist of the upcoming Halo: Primordium.

PsychoRaven said:
They haven't said yet. The 2554 is where someone saw the Warthog mention in Forza 4 is the 2554 model. So when it comes to actual Halo 4 nothing has been said on when it actually takes place yet.
Well, even if the date is incorrect, I still don't see it happening because of the level of technology the Forerunners posses.

ElRenoRaven

Dax01 said:
Well, even if the date is incorrect, I still don't see it happening because of the level of technology the Forerunners posses.

And you may very well be right too. We'll find out with Halo 4 I guess. lol

claviertekky said:
Wasn't there a Halo 4 trailer?

I don't see it.

The live event now is boring and disappointing. Show us MP footage.

Nope. Just that concept art trailer and teaser that somehow managed to spawn an argument over the damn music. lol

Vire

Blue Ninja said:
Technically in Halo 3. They were a species that governed the galaxy before the Forerunners, but mysteriously disappeared. The Forerunners saw them as custodians of the Galaxy, and took up their "Mantle" of Protector. A Mantle they eventually passed down to humans.

In Halo: Cryptum, it's revealed one of the Precursors is still alive, and was kept contained on Charum Hakkor, a former Human colony. When a Halo ring is ignited near Charum Hakkor, the prisoner manages to escape. It is assumed he is the main antagonist of the upcoming Halo: Primordium.
Could you clarify something for me? When does Halo:Cryptum take place in the canon?

clav

PsychoRaven said:
Nope. Just that concept art trailer and teaser that somehow managed to spawn an argument over the damn music. lol
Ah the live event just ended. I just tuned in of them talking about a bank picture.

Darn. Ah well. Until E3 2012.

Bring on Anniversary's release!

Sibylus

Banned
I've not read Cryptum, but I think it'd be neat to see the Precursors reemerge from what seems like extinction to do battle with the Forerunner and human remnants. Perhaps they may have stored their genetic information in a safe place awaiting a trigger, or, here's a thought: the Flood themselves are the vessels of the aforementioned genetic blueprint. Would be among the safest places to hide it, given the Flood's virulence and talent for survival.

Vire

blamite said:
A little over 100,000 years before Halo 1.
Thanks. Hmm, that makes this all the more confusing. I'm not sure how they expect the average Halo fan to understand the storyline. There are so many factions at this point it all gets rather garbled together. Hopefully they will have a proper introduction explaining everything fully and clearly.

feel

Can't get enough of that Halo 4 teaser. That art makes me all excited!! And I like the music!! Don't get the complaints, to me any music is Halo music after it appears on Halo (as long as it meets the required level of quality and awesomeness). Like I've said, with Halo 4, 343 should just go in the artistic direction they feel is right for their games and not be held back by the Bungie games.

Vire

Blue Ninja said:
I did a complete write-up of my thoughts over at HBO. Give it a read, tell me what you think.
Thanks, I appreciate this. Reading through now.

One thing that confuses me is that they say that the Greg Bear books are concept art for Halo 4. Then it was revealed that the events of Cryptum takes place a 100,000 years before Halo 1. That would imply that Chief went back in time? I don't know...

clav

Letters said:
Can't get enough of that Halo 4 teaser. That art makes me all excited!! And I like the music!! Don't get the complaints, to me any music is Halo music after it appears on Halo (as long as it meets the required level of quality and awesomeness). Like I've said, with Halo 4, 343 should just go in the artistic direction they feel is right for their games and not be held back by the Bungie games.
Do you have a link to the teaser?

nvm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAKmu2yn3Fk

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Vire said:
Thanks, I appreciate this. Reading through now.

One thing that confuses me is that they say that the Greg Bear books are concept art for Halo 4. Then it was revealed that the events of Cryptum takes place a 100,000 years before Halo 1. That would imply that Chief went back in time? I don't know...
It's concept art, used as the cover of a book. They picked it because it looks cool.

If Halo 4 does involve landing/crashing on a Forerunner world then fighting AI's and possibly a precursor then count me in. Greg Bear's work in Cryptum completely rejuvenated my interest in Halo fiction. Tying all of that into the games can only be a good thing.

Vire

Dax01 said:
Concept art for Halo 4 was used as the covers for Bear's books.
So they are unrelated except for the fact that they both deal with forerunners and they thought it looked cool as a cover?

Botolf said:
Presumably Forerunner settings in both, so the concept art could be used interchangeably without too much trouble.

Right.

Vire said:
So they are unrelated except for the fact that they both deal with forerunners and they thought it looked cool as a cover?
There'll presumably be some more links between the two. It's apparently been implied that there's a direct connection between one of the human characters from Primordium and the Master Chief.

If you're interested, I would definitely give Halo: Cryptum a read. If you've got any questions, don't hesitate to ask 'em, either.

Vire

Blue Ninja said:
There'll presumably be some more links between the two. It's apparently been implied that there's a direct connection between one of the human characters from Primordium and the Master Chief.

If you're interested, I would definitely give Halo: Cryptum a read. If you've got any questions, don't hesitate to ask 'em, either.
Yeah, my interest is definitely peaked, I think I'll be reading Cryptum when I gather the time.

clav

Just saw the trailer.

Doesn't say much.

Music is fine. Marty created the first trilogy defined over the keyboard.

As much as I love that style, I'd like something else for a change.

Honestly, Marty has done an amazing job of creating variations of the Halo themes over the years. It's time for something new.

claviertekky said:
Just saw the trailer.

Doesn't say much.

Music is fine. Marty created the first trilogy defined over the keyboard.

As much as I love that style, I'd like something else for a change.

Honestly, Marty has done an amazing job of creating variations of the Halo themes over the years, and I'm getting tired of them.
Halo themes are still in, check E3 halo 4 trailer. They should be in too.

So that panel was a mix of a lot and a lot of nothing at the same time. I enjoyed it, but I think there should have been more transparency on what we would and wouldn't get at the panel. On the other hand, my one friend said that the panel had too much fluff and not enough content for a big Halo 4 panel. I kinda agree, but I didnt expect too much.

Anyways, Im hyped for Halo 4 none the less, although the panel didn't do much in either way for me, that concept trailer was super nice. I really think the fact that Cryptums sequels cover art was in the trailer really speaks a lot for what we can expect. It seems we may get another Human-Forunner war. Now begins the long wait for the in engine trailer at the Spike VGAs and the gameinformer reveal around December/January. =P

wwm0nkey

I like the music, it sets a whole new tone which is good because this is the start of the new trilogy and a new story. The music set a good tone for mystery in my opinion because we will be going into this game dark and wondering what is going on.

McNei1y

I've been a player for the 10 years of Halo and I haven't really been this interested in the story since the first game. The first game was so mysterious that I would think so much about it (this isn't a natural cave formation). The landing on a random space object, the mystery of it being there, why its completely empty, etc etc. After playing Halo 2, I lost interest until Halo 3's terminals and the visit on the Ark. After re-exploring my interests, I think I will give Cryptum a read. I've only read the first three books (and read summaries of the ones after) so its been awhile since I've explored a Halo novel but the whole Forerunner story catches my eye.

Is Cryptum worth the read or should I just look into a skimmed down plot line somewhere?

ElRenoRaven

HAHA. Frankie talking about a map from Halo 2 that hasn't leaked and nobody has seen. I like his tongue and cheek remakes about things.

Top Bottom