• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

Turin

Banned
I have no problem with them finding ways to bring back Abigail but I'd hope it doesn't become a thing like Harry on Dexter.

Hannibal is a lot of things, but trashy? I'm not sure how you could possibly build a convincing argument for that.

Personally, I found True Detective to be a better example of what you're talking about. Mystery and symbolism that amounted to little more than a hackneyed serial killer plot. Major letdown. I honestly can't think of a single thing True Detective does better than Hannibal, except for the opening sequence.

You're not entirely wrong but still. True Detective was an engrossing first 5 episodes. It just really didn't hold up down the stretch.

There's an interesting theory floating around that (I'm gonna spoiler this because if it turns true then abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
Hannibal will kill Bedelia and turn her into Botticelli's The Birth Of Venus.

I'll be honest, I'm gonna be really disappointed if it turns out Abigail is the only one who actually died in the finale

Everyone seems to have multiple lives on this show

I'll be honest, I'm gonna be really disappointed if it turns out Abigail is the only one who actually died in the finale

Everyone seems to have multiple lives on this show

To be fair, Abigail's wounds seemed the most severe compared to everyone. I mean she legit got her throat slit open. Alana probably just broke her back and she was still moving as Hannibal walked past her. Jack had a puncture wound in his neck that was still sealed with the shard of glass. Will's looked quite bad but I think Hannibal didn't slice him deep enough on purpose. Maybe I'm reaching, but to me it wouldn't be implausible at all if everyone else survived.

Anyway, I started watching this show last weekend and binge watched the heck out of Season 2 and the two episodes of Season 3 just now. What a masterpiece! I'm going to continue recommending this to people I know till they cave.

Dany

Banned
I realized I need to be a 'certain-type-of-way' to watch this show.

I trust that Alana is alive, she only fell. But for Jack, he lost a lot of blood. like tons. I don't know

I trust that Alana is alive, she only fell. But for Jack, he lost a lot of blood. like tons. I don't know

A friend and I were talking about this and she mentioned that some of what we saw from under the door was probably wine, since he was in the wine cellar/closet and SOME of those bottles must have been broken in the fight. It did look like he lost a ton of blood though.

Enosh

bit better imo, still not quite at the season 1 levels, but I'll take any improvement at this point ^^

although i thought her being dead was kinda obvious given that her red jacket kinda had this thing where it was darker at the top or something and in some shoots it looked a lot like blood being all over it at the side where she was cut

but honestly I'm not even sure that if was intentional or just my screen being shit and doing some weird colors ^^

KorrZ

Finally watched the second episode. Eh, I liked the first episode a lot more. This show has always had a good amount of dream state like quality and large amount of imagery but I feel this episode was a bit too self-indulgent for my taste.

I like the imagery but I still want plot progression, this episode felt like about 75% imagery and 25% actual plot advancement.

carlsojo

Just finished the second episode. Inspector Gazzi sounds almost exactly like Saddler from Resident Evil 4 and now I can't unhear it.

Akahige

I enjoyed the episode, the show is really a full on descent into disturbed dream town. I didn't like that first 8 minutes or longer were scenes from last season, I get that it needed some build up but way too long.

I hope the show picks up the pace a little more later in the season, the show is really going over the line with it's imagery over charactertizion, there is advancement to the progression of plot through the imagery some of the time but it feels too much.

I'm guessing later in the season
there will be a major shift when the Red Dragon storyline happens and there will be less of a abstract dream state going on.

These keep making me laugh so I have to post them, lolllll

tumblr_npqpg1N4aK1r54mvto1_500.png

tumblr_npqpg1N4aK1r54mvto2_500.png

Walpurgis

Banned
Does anyone know where I can find a good summary of season 1 and 2? It's been a while and I don't remember the details of the lead up to the season 2 finale.

Polari

Weak start to the season. I swear this episode had at least ten solid minutes of people saying mysterious-sounding pretentious shit that didn't make a lick of sense.

CloudWolf

Sometimes this show is way too artsy for it's own good. This episode really showed that IMO.

"Oh look, there's that deer again. And hey, the room is filling up with blood from the deer. Oh, the metaphors!"

Alpende

Sometimes this show is way too artsy for it's own good. This episode really showed that IMO.

"Oh look, there's that deer again. And hey, the room is filling up with blood from the deer. Oh, the metaphors!"

Agreed, it was a bit too much this episode. I still like the way they handled Will's hallucination of Abigail.

Fuller is very open about interest from other companies (i.e. Streaming services) in continuing Hannibal. So as long as NBC keeps airing the show, we are pretty much guaranteed at least an additional season somewhere else. But that means we want NBC to renew it through the 5 season so we can get Fuller's full story.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Fuller is very open about interest from other companies (i.e. Streaming services) in continuing Hannibal. So as long as NBC keeps airing the show, we are pretty much guaranteed at least an additional season somewhere else. But that means we want NBC to renew it through the 5 season so we can get Fuller's full story.

Any news on whether they have the rights to Silence of The Lambs? Because Will and Clarice teaming up would be pretty bad ass.

So that was a yet another weird episode. Hopefully with the way it ended, we're getting back on track from next week and the show doesn't continue down this high concept route for the rest of the season.

It's an interesting direction, but it's polarising as it's not what I like about the show.

I did like seeing Will again though and the scene with that 'thing' emerging from the heart was creepy as fuck. Damn...

Levi

Banned
After this season they will have adapted all the books they have the rights to (Rising, Dragon, Hannibal) so if it ends here I'll be okay. I'm just grateful they got this far. Even if they get a new season, they might not get Silence which would be almost as bad as no season 4 at all.

Of course, in a perfect world we'll get Silence next season and an epilogue season after that, but I'm prepared for the worst.

UrbanRats

Finally caught up with the two episodes.

So first of all, i like how alien and surreal they made Florence look, looks like a completely different place from the one i know ( i guess people who know Baltimore felt about the same in past seasons).
Also, weird to be referencing Il Mostro di Firenze, since he was a real serial killer (who got caught, allegedly) and was far less glamourous than Hannibal.

That said, at first i was a bit confused by the incoherent structure of the episodes, like Will not even talking to Alana and Jack before leaving for Italy? But then i started to like it, and now i love how it feels like we're inside the nightmare, like we're in alternate dimension that exists between reality and Hannibal's (and Will's) consciousness.

S1 and 2 felt like Will was living in the real world, and visions from another dimension popped in from time to time, now it feels like he lives in another dimension, and the real world pops in, from time to time.

Also that actor playing the inspector is awful.

Finally: music and cinematography are great as usual.

Forget them, I want to know who is taking care of these guys while Will is losing his mind in Europe:

441854_600.png

Alana, probably (remember Applesauce?) We know she (and Jack) are alright, so I'm just assuming she is since she did last time as well.

I also really wish they'd checked in on those two before we'd seen that Will had flown all the way to fucking Italy, but. Oh well. I've read a few times there is no reliable narrator in the second episode so I'm just gonna wait since I know everything will be explained in due time. Still frustrating, though.

glow

Banned

Rolled my eyes so hard when I saw the antlers. That imagery should've died last season. I'm not into this season at all so far but it has all some good elements- European setting, Hannibal, hypnotized Bedilia, Will, detective. I hope the pace starts picking up soon because I see myself losing interest if it keeps moving like this. This show has always had a lot of style and cool visuals but they're overdoing it this season.

FLAguy954

I'm halfway through episode two and have two things to say:

Hannibal is handsome as hell in that picture, retouched or not.

Why the fuck would they censor the artwork, especially on a graphic show like Hannibal?

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

They took the time to add Gillian Anderson to the opening, and in the meanwhile they didn't remove Fishburne. I think he's still in.
Or was she in the opening in season 2 too?

Just finished the second episode. Inspector Gazzi sounds almost exactly like Saddler from Resident Evil 4 and now I can't unhear it.

Pazzi.

Well, he's a priest.

BTW Abigail got hotter. Her hairstyle was great.

Wait, we do? I probably missed a detail then or is this meta-show / casting knowledge?

Casting knowledge :\ They're in quite a few of the promo pictures & videos, and the actors are credited in the intro. Their characters are also still around in the books at this point, from what I've heard. We don't know how alright they are, though, those details are what we're missing.

Yeah, I actually really enjoyed episode 2.

I understand the complaints about the dialogue being too oblique and/or metaphoric, even by Hannibal standards--but I really loved everything else, even if the Abigail twist wasn't too much of a surprise.

I absolutely loved Will searching through his own memories to try and figure out where Hannibal had run off to. Loved the tea cup image of himself, the torso stag (donovanmcnabb.gif), the reversal of Abigail's death--among others.

Fuck, that torso stag. Jesus CHRIST. I agree, this episode had some wonderful implementation of horror.

This show straddles the line so well between ridiculous and perfect when it comes to its experimental nature, I can see how it tips over for some people. For whatever reason, the re-slitting of Abigail's throat was almost goofy for me, in the way that the split screen Jack/Hannibal was almost goofy.

Ashok

Banned
Wow. I'm so proud to be a fan of Gillian Anderson, Bryan Fuller, and Vincenzo Natali. This show is just consistently knocking it out of the park.

kirblar

The back half will be much more procedureal-y by the nature of the material it's adapting, so I don't mind them going character by character like they appear to be doing here.

That thing that crawled out of the heart was something of nightmares. Worthy of a David Cronenbwrg movie and was the highlight of the show for me. Another good episode, but I'm thinking in the back of my mind how the average viewer will react to all this. I know my freaky taste but I think the overall tone might turn some off. I dunno.

I love how gorgeous and trippy this season has been but I haven't decided yet how I feel about the sheer amount of abstract, philosophical dialogue. At some point it risks veering into self-parody. On a similar note, the heart-stag thing was awesome but by the time the scene was over it felt more comical than scary to me. I suspect partly because of the over-the-top music and how long the moment lingered (that being said the music in general has been phenomenal this season).

Johndoey

Banned
I didn't really like the first two episodes because they felt kinda wandering, but once it gets back to the more procedural nature it should be good.

Moff

I absolutely adored that episode, thought it was much better than the first

I knew abigail was not real halfway thorugh though, I guess I am just conditioned to dead characters no one except 1 character acknowledges, I ddn't realize the priest saw her though. but I am glad they did not make that a plot through the whole season, it's too much of a clichée, it's fine for one episode.

Top Bottom