• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

Next season is fricking Silence of the Lambs.

I hate to break it to you, but that might not be the case.

Bryan Fuller said:
The way the seasons are breaking out now, the fourth season idea is a pretty radical departure from what we’ve been doing in the first three seasons altogether. It doesn’t involve Clarice at that stage. There may be a version where you do this radical departure for the first half and then do Silence of the Lambs for the second half, but that is all contingent on the rights for Clarice. The further and further away we get from procedurals, it’s hard to imagine returning to the FBI to tell more stories unless we do have Clarice to really freshen up that world.

Yep, I actually thought it was her during the part where Will was walking down the stairs and she was waiting by the door.

I was sure he was seeing Abigail instead of Alana, but I guess not. I really wanted it to be her :( Partly because it's confusing to me why Will would be in Italy by himself so soon after all that shit that went down, and partly because I'm still worried about Alana because why oh why would Abigail look like her unless she's also dead? Or maybe Will's idea of Alana died so she's part of how he sees Abigail? Whyyy

BLEH. I'm glad we got to see Will so soon (I thought we'd have to wait way longer), but now just miss Alana :( I want to know how she's doing /flop

Monocle

Why are people spoiler tagging the aired episode?

Maybe someone can clarify for me.
So Will has an imaginary friend for 8 months and then she disappears. Why did she disappear?

Also, how could Will honestly forgive Hannibal? Will should be looking for justice (or revenge) instead he's moping like a beta with his girl stolen.
It's like Bella told Hannibal in Season 2. You can't choose whether or not to forgive. Forgiveness happens to you. That doesn't mean Will is going to forget Hannibal's capacity for manipulation and violence.

I hate to break it to you, but that might not be the case.

Bryan Fuller said:
The way the seasons are breaking out now, the fourth season idea is a pretty radical departure from what we’ve been doing in the first three seasons altogether. It doesn’t involve Clarice at that stage. There may be a version where you do this radical departure for the first half and then do Silence of the Lambs for the second half, but that is all contingent on the rights for Clarice. The further and further away we get from procedurals, it’s hard to imagine returning to the FBI to tell more stories unless we do have Clarice to really freshen up that world.
If it comes to that, fine. This show is great when it does its own thing.

Cerity

I was sure he was seeing Abigail instead of Alana, but I guess not. I really wanted it to be her :( Partly because it's confusing to me why Will would be in Italy by himself so soon after all that shit that went down, and partly because I'm still worried about Alana because why oh why would Abigail look like her unless she's also dead? Or maybe Will's idea of Alana died so she's part of how he sees Abigail? Whyyy

BLEH. I'm glad we got to see Will so soon (I thought we'd have to wait way longer), but now just miss Alana :( I want to know how she's doing /flop

I took at as Alana being dead as well, or at least Alana and Abigail meaning a similar thing to him (family) but both have been taken away. Figured the whole sequence with him in Palermo was Will mourning & coming to terms with what he had lost, leading to the eventual forgiveness.

I took at as Alana being dead as well, or at least Alana and Abigail meaning a similar thing to him (family) but both have been taken away. Figured the whole sequence with him in Palermo was Will mourning & coming to terms with what he had lost, leading to the eventual forgiveness.

Yeah, that sounds about right :\ I guess we'll see what's going on with the FBI 'family' eventually, I'm just nervous about it in the meantime.

Monocle

APRVJYX.png
RuPaul retweeted this. Halp.

ivysaur12

Banned
Haven't watched Transprent yet, liked Bosch well enough, but I considered it an anomaly.

It's still Amazon tho. Hannibal would probably be doing a lot better if Netflix had steaming rights and f it came down to it was in charge of future seasons.

It feels disingenuous to complain about Amazon originals when you haven't watched the most critically lauded one they've premiered thus far?

Also, Hannibal is going to be Hannibal no matter where it is. NBC, Amazon, Netflix, Overstock.com.

Hannibal dropped almost an entire million down to 1.74 million. That's less then half an average Constatine episode. I predict there will be 5 of us left by seasons end. Nobody is watching!

I think it's been explained to you before why Hannibal and Constantine aren't produced on the same business model :p

Permanently A

This show is losing me. I have no idea what is going on. Maybe I'm just stupid. I didn't even realize Abigail was a ghost until I read the thread.

ivysaur12

Banned
I know it's a studio thing, but why the hell isn't Hannibal on Hulu? I know the answer is because it's a weird co-pro, but, like, there is no NBC player for my Smart TV. I want to watch Hannibal on my nice ass TV because Hannibal is a fucking beautiful show.

Ugggggh.

young Mads though

uVZzgvw.png

This stupid fucking handsome motherfucker, Jesus Christ.

I know it's a studio thing, but why the hell isn't Hannibal on Hulu? I know the answer is because it's a weird co-pro, but, like, there is no NBC player for my Smart TV. I want to watch Hannibal on my nice ass TV because Hannibal is a fucking beautiful show.

Ugggggh.

The fates are punishing you for reasons.

Yado

This show is losing me. I have no idea what is going on. Maybe I'm just stupid. I didn't even realize Abigail was a ghost until I read the thread.

Welp, you just enlightened me. I feel the same about this season so far as well, although in my case I haven't really been paying attention because the episodes haven't been very compelling.

Monocle

To be fair, you can't really complain about the show being hard to understand if you're not paying full attention. The dialog and images are rarely obvious. Abigail's throat opens up after Will implies that she's a figment of his imagination. That's how you know she's really dead. (Well, that and the montage that contrasts what happened to Abigail and Will after they were found in Hannibal's house.) There was never going to be a moment where Will flat out says "I wish you were here, Abigail, but you're just a ghost."

This is not the show to watch while trying to multitask.

Man I was so glad to see that Abigal was just a halucination. I was so ready to jump on here and talk about how much I didn't like having her tag around as a side kick. She just isn't a good enough character, or played well enough for that. If she does stick around I'll be ok because it will just be more internal struggle on Will's part. And thats what I want. I like character dives and introspection. I don't like side kicks. I was worried for the during the first part of this episode, but I'm back on board now.

removed the spoilers

Cerity

I thought the whole morgue/emergency scene made it pretty obvious that she was dead. They even zipped her up in a body bag iirc.

That stag scene is some Silent Hill stuff
Glad that Abigail was just a hallucination. At least she didn't survived that cut, but I hope we get more of her as hallucinations

scabro

thank god this show is financed the way it is.

i remember the worry of Fringe getting renewed on FOX and shuffled around when iirc at its worst i think it had like close to the amount of viewers of Hannibal had at its best. doesnt feel like this show is getting canceled though.

kirblar

There was no way Abigail was surviving the finale- it would have ruined the Lucy and the Football thing they were going for.

Ugggggh.

I totally agree. I thought it was, until I checked the other day wanting to rewatch the season premier and... nothing? Wasn't there a voting thing on Hulu last year that Hannibal won? Super confusing.

I really enjoyed the first two episodes. But I think they need to tone down the artsy fartsy shit. not that it's bad But when you do it so often throughout an entire episode for two episodes in a row it can get overbearing.

HoJu

feel like the show doesn't do a good job at the slow stuff. it's trashy fun and the show at its best is when it accepts that and moves along like the s2 finale. the dream/hallucination stuff just never connects and its lacking the mystery and wonder found inTwin Peaks or True Detective. we get the symbolism and most is driving in the same point. the show is not scary or disturbing and rarely surprises.

and Hannibal is kind of boring in this show. maybe because he's just too reserved and we almost never see him "break".
also enough with the "in fact, you might even say we just ate Uter" jokes. i know that contradicts with my other point about it being more trashy, but it's the wrong type of self-aware.
just please hurry up and go somewhere.

feel like the show doesn't do a good job at the slow stuff. it's trashy fun and the show at its best is when it accepts that and moves along like the s2 finale. the dream/hallucination stuff just never connects and its lacking the mystery and wonder found inTwin Peaks or True Detective. we get the symbolism and most is driving in the same point. the show is not scary or disturbing and rarely surprises.
I love how you bring up the S2 finale as an example of moving the show along without the dreamy hallucinations, yet in my opinion, that episode was exactly when the show really started embracing that particular aspect of its narrative style.

Bathe me in dat #operagothicarthouse splendor.

HoJu

I love how you bring up the S2 finale as an example of moving the show along without the dreamy hallucinations, yet in my opinion, that episode was exactly when the show really started embracing that particular aspect of its narrative style.

Bathe me in dat #operagothicarthouse splendor.

well i thought it combined plot progression with the dreaminess well. more of that is what i want.

Monocle

and Hannibal is kind of boring in this show. maybe because he's just too reserved and we almost never see him "break".
also enough with the "in fact, you might even say we just ate Uter" jokes. i know that contradicts with my other point about it being more trashy, but it's the wrong type of self-aware.
just please hurry up and go somewhere.
Hannibal is a lot of things, but trashy? I'm not sure how you could possibly build a convincing argument for that.

Personally, I found True Detective to be a better example of what you're talking about. Mystery and symbolism that amounted to little more than a hackneyed serial killer plot. Major letdown. I honestly can't think of a single thing True Detective does better than Hannibal, except for the opening sequence.

As for Twin Peaks, it really loses its way in Season 2, until the ending. And while it's very effective and disturbing in its best moments, David Lynch's obtuse tendencies don't serve the show as well as Bryan Fuller's ornate sensibility does for Hannibal. Fuller seems to have a better sense of when to hold back and give the audience an anchor, because his instinct for character driven storytelling is so well developed. (This interview illustrates where he's coming from.) Hannibal is rarely disorienting for long, if you pay close attention. The show builds layer after layer of beautiful complex symbolic meaning, and all you have to do to make sense of it is to focus on what's being said about the characters.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I can definitely see where the slow complaints are coming from, especially coming off season 2. Personally I enjoyed this episode more than the premiere, it was nice to get a few answers about the aftermath of the S2 finale.

It would be interesting if Abigail returned from time to time as Will's imaginary partner.

Moonkid

The first four minutes of this season was just them showing off lol, so damn good. No complaints from me so far, but if the preview indicates anything I fear the next episode will have less 'stuff' going on than the second.

scabro

i knew abigail was a hallucination when they introduced her through the trippy Will point of view.

kind of wish they had made it less obvious, really.

Top Bottom