• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

Leeness

It'd kill me if something happens to him. I'm legit worried... I feel kinda dumb about it, too, even though I know Bryan is kinda doing his own thing with the source material, meaning regardless what happens in the books/movies, no one is safe :x

That song is really, really pretty. I wish I had that kind of talent, sheesh : Thanks so much for sharing it <3

As long as Will comes out alive in the end, everything will be okay...

tumblr_n72q8uXr4y1rvs9wso3_500.gif

(Agreeing with En Ex and BobbyRoberts, that's the most likely scenario, and would be an interesting outcome to the whole thing).

Right, song is so pretty! Had no idea it existed!

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
That episode was amazing. I don't mind the artsy slow motion, nothing really going on, scenes but they've been filling up a lot of time in the last two episodes. Glad to see what an artsy beatdown looks like. It was so good.

The new actor for Verger is killing it with his eyebrow game.

tumblr_nqx4z71nh21r8tg38o2_250.gif

I really LIKED that slo-mo ashes spreading. If any moment earned the slow-motion this season, it's that one. That place was important to the both of them, and it's the only relationship in this show that was even *mildly* functional. Slowing down and examining every inch of the beauty in those gestures seems more than appropriate, to me.

There's nothing to indicate that that would be the case, as the photography on this show is not just functionally informative as is the televisual standard. The style serves to establish mood and tone as well as to reflect the internal states of the characters; season 3 has placed particular emphasis on making everything feel like a tragic, operatic dance unfolding in response to the ending of season 2, as all of the players survey their wounds and move into their places. It isn't likely to go away entirely unless the show does - luckily, only 8 more episodes to suffer through on that score. ;p

(I realize and have come to accept that I am this show's biggest apologist, so feel free to disregard everything I'm saying as fangirl fluff.)

The show has never really been plot-driven unless you count the nuts and bolts of procedural crime solving as having driven the show in prior seasons - which I don't think was quite true even then, as the effects that these cases had on Will, and the ways in which Hannibal used them to manipulate Will and the others, were always more important than the solving of them. This is never more apparent than with Garret Jacob Hobbs, whose specter hangs around to haunt Will for two full seasons after his plot-usefulness has gone.

The way I see it, you're the most articulate at explaining what (I'm sure) other people think about the show but have trouble expressing it (me being one of them). I really enjoy reading how you interpret things :) I'm being completely honest when I say I've never thought "Gosh, I wish they'd change the..." or "I don't really care for..." because everything about the characters; their dialogue, their actions, and how we're shown their thoughts, drive the show so well.

As long as Will comes out alive in the end, everything will be okay... (Agreeing with En Ex and BobbyRoberts, that's the most likely scenario, and would be an interesting outcome to the whole thing).

I'm apprehensive about looking at any spoilers, so I hope whatever they have planned is not awful :<

okay episode, some obvious plot stupidity "dur lets hit him with the blunt end of the hook so that he can escape and then watch him for 5 minutes instead of rushing out to capture a dude with a broken hand and leg"

also the dialog in the first few minutes was one of the most awful things I've heard, "fireflies only live for a moment, better to really live for a moment" (or something along those lines) jesus fucking christ that's shit that 13 year olds put on their facebook wall

I also feel like they underplay just how physically fucked up you would be if a man as big and powerful as Laurence Fishburne repeatedly beat the shit out of you then threw you out a window. But those are the kinds of things that this show gets away with.

I'm wondering if that will end up being the thing
that *fixes* Will, so to speak. Sets him back to S1 level Will. It makes him a functioning human again in the aftermath - but it also means he can't do what he used to do, which is why he has to go back to Hannibal in order to catch Dolarhyde. Which would be a really interesting way to go about it.

Oh man, I didn't realize the brain stuff would be happening this season. I don't want to see any of that again, especially not with Will (or Jack!). It's such a ridiculous scene in the movie and yet it's incredibly effective, which means Fuller and co are probably going to find a way to make it even more disgusting.

:(

RS4-

That ep turned me on.

This show needs to get picked up with the quickness. I haven't looked around as I was afraid of spoilers, but are they airing the rest of the eps?

That ep turned me on.

This show needs to get picked up with the quickness. I haven't looked around as I was afraid of spoilers, but are they airing the rest of the eps?

Yeah, they're running 'em in their normal timeslot until the end of the season.

Although I'm kinda hoping NBC gets antsy and just starts burning off extra episodes to get it over with faster, seeing as the ratings are so bad.

Yeah, they're running 'em in their normal timeslot until the end of the season.

Although I'm kinda hoping NBC gets antsy and just starts burning off extra episodes to get it over with faster, seeing as the ratings are so bad.
Yeah, I wish they'd pull a last-minute Aquarius and air them online all at once.

The show is dead, you saw to that. Let me digest the grand finale at my own pace, NBC.

Oh man, I didn't realize the brain stuff would be happening this season. I don't want to see any of that again, especially not with Will (or Jack!). It's such a ridiculous scene in the movie and yet it's incredibly effective, which means Fuller and co are probably going to find a way to make it even more disgusting.

:(

I'm wondering if this is why
Bedelia is still alive. Maybe she's the Clarice stand-in as Hannibal sets the table.

Or maybe Bedelia is the appetizer

I might have missed it but can anyone tell me why the Interpol and FBI aren't after Hannibal? How is he able to work in Europe using his real name despite what happened?

I might have missed it but can anyone tell me why the Interpol and FBI aren't after Hannibal? How is he able to work in Europe using his real name despite what happened?

He's not using his real name. Remember the first guy he killed this season? Hannibal's posing as him.

Monocle

You are so sweet. :) I'm really glad to hear that you appreciate my word rambles and that I'm not just whispering into the wind. I don't want to come across as combative in the least, but I do kind of want to register an opinion in opposition to some of the talk of season 3 being "too artsy" or what have you.
This seems like a good time to mention that I appreciate your perspective too.

Asbel

The show has never really been plot-driven unless you count the nuts and bolts of procedural crime solving as having driven the show in prior seasons - which I don't think was quite true even then, as the effects that these cases had on Will, and the ways in which Hannibal used them to manipulate Will and the others, were always more important than the solving of them. This is never more apparent than with Garret Jacob Hobbs, whose specter hangs around to haunt Will for two full seasons after his plot-usefulness has gone.

I mean plot driven like how Hannibal was able to escape Jack in the fight. It didn't really make sense but the plot demanded Hannibal not be captured yet so they had to contrive some means for Hannibal to get away. Or for how long it took Alana and Jack to figure out who Hannibal was cuz the plot demanded these brilliant people don't know. Then there's Will's special power which was basically a plot device.

Didn't get to catch the episode when it aired, but watched it the day after.

I called in a friend (visiting from out of town) to watch the Pazzi scene, because I knew (from the movie) what was going to happen. I did not expect the fight to happen.

She now wants to watch the show.

Didn't get to catch the episode when it aired, but watched it the day after. I called in a friend (visiting from out of town) to watch the Pazzi scene, because I knew (from the movie) what was going to happen. I did not expect the fight to happen.

She now wants to watch the show.

Hella! I hope she loves it as much as we do :D Out of curiosity, does she/do you have a way for her to watch the series from the beginning?

You are so sweet. :) I'm really glad to hear that you appreciate my word rambles and that I'm not just whispering into the wind. I don't want to come across as combative in the least, but I do kind of want to register an opinion in opposition to some of the talk of season 3 being "too artsy" or what have you.

Ah jeez :x Not combative at all, no. I mean, the entire run of episodes up to this point can be watched in succession and you'd be able to notice the slow but steady transition into something that is, at this point, pure fantasy, because that is what Hannibal has not only done to Will/Alana/Chilton/Jack/etc, but to us, as an audience. Bryan is fuckin' amazing at the "Don't believe in ghost stories? Well, you're in one" type storytelling. It's beautiful and crazy and confusing sometimes, but that's the point. I mean, I long for season 1 Will constantly, because I connect with that character so well. I followed this character I recognize and empathize with into this fuckin' weird-ass, scary, fairy tale forest that Hannibal has created and it's fantastic. But, I can understand how people get lost along the way. It really does need to get picked up by a
mazon
streaming service, because then Bryan can finish his vision and people can sit down and watch it all in one go. It'd be much easier to follow.

Anyway, now I feel like I'm just rambling but yeah. :x

/flop

Seriously, I must have watched it five times by now. Not just because the Mads Mikkelsen connection between Bitch Better Have My Money (NSFW, an odd warning to use in this of all threads) and Hannibal makes it extra hilarious, but also because I think I could watch Jack whooping Hannibal's ass on an infinite loop and never get tired of it.

Wow.

I ain't ever seen this video before.

Huh.

And then a wild Eric Roberts appeared.

And then Mads.

All these goddamn twists!

Kevin

Hannibal continues to amaze me by it's quality. The latest episode was yet another strong addition and there were definitely some powerful scenes in there. I also want to give a shout out to the excellent sound team they have. Top notch work here!

Still hoping someone picks the show up and announces it at the Hannibal ComicCon panel next week but I'm not holding onto much hope now. Will enjoy what's left of this brilliant show.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on holidays I wont be able to see last weeks episode and the next two till the 22nd. Going to be a long torturous wait.

While I'm enjoying the season so far, it's not really been... the same type of show as it was the first 2 seasons to me. It felt like barely anything all that interesting happened until this episode and the rest of the season has been just a lot of interesting camera work showing close-up of things, lol. I get it, the show has a very beautiful style, but it has usually had at least a bit of stuff happening in episodes to keep me interested. Hopefully episode 4 is a sign of things to come for the rest of the season.

So why can't Netflix take on Hannibal? Like why can't they continue the series?

Could they not buy the rights from Amazon?

Possibly, sure. But I'm betting it wouldn't be cheap, and while Hannibal is some seriously prestige shit - it's not a guarantee that the show is going to be worth the price Amazon might set for it.

Plus, Amazon & Netflix might not necessarily be the friendliest negotiators, either. Who knows.

Also, I wanna throw my two cents in here for Icarus' posts, as well as The Guy Who Knocks & Griffy. In fact, this thread, when it starts digging its mitts into the body of this show, breaking shit down to the bone gristle, is often some of the most insightful stuff I read about Hannibal, professional recaps included.

Yaari

Is there much more source material they could use for the show? I've not really read any books about Hannibal.

Really hope someone out there will save the show. Some great actors and great story. Lesser shows went on for much longer. I guess don't really know how these things work.

I doubt it. They still make money off of the seasons already produced and they dont want to do Netflix a favor.

I wish it went to Syfy. Syfy has has been spending actual money on their shows lately but the results haven't been great.

Lesser shows went on for much longer.

Well, there's something to that, too. Lesser shows sometimes become lesser because they go on for longer than they need to. For example: I love the living SHIT out of Battlestar Galactica, and consider it the best sci-fi show to ever air. But I also recognize that it had entirely too many episodes per-season after the first (by at least 10 per), and it probably shouldn't have gone for more than 45 episodes at most.

There's something to be said for a show doing what it set out to do and getting the fuck out. Yeah, Fuller says he had more planned. But I think there's something to the idea of wrapping up the story of Will Graham & Hannibal with Red Dragon, where it ended in the books.

Well, there's something to that, too. Lesser shows sometimes become lesser because they go on for longer than they need to. For example: I love the living SHIT out of Battlestar Galactica, and consider it the best sci-fi show to ever air. But I also recognize that it had entirely too many episodes per-season after the first (by at least 10 per), and it probably shouldn't have gone for more than 45 episodes at most.

There's something to be said for a show doing what it set out to do and getting the fuck out. Yeah, Fuller says he had more planned. But I think there's something to the idea of wrapping up the story of Will Graham & Hannibal with Red Dragon, where it ended in the books.

There's also that
I heard that Will is profiling Dollarhyde (spelling) during his lecture in the very first scene

As long as this happens, I think I'll be okay, even though I love the hell outta Will :\ Like I said, his season 1 portrayal was amazing, so as long as that character/his story comes to an end, I can deal with it. Otherwise? Eh.

I feel that what we love is the dynamic between those two people. If Hannibal Lecter continues without Will, it's an entirely different story, ie, it can end [the story about Will] without worrying about something else (another story) beginning.

Johndoey

Banned
Re-watching the fight scene it's still good but Hannibal got Sparta kicked through two panes of glass he should be bleeding to death or at least in a very bad spot.

Top Bottom