• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

What a cathartic fucking fight scene. Holy shit.

I do think they missed an opportunity when Hannibal didn't land splat in Rinaldo's guts, but otherwise, holy shit.

Sorry for the shitty Tumblr gif, but this was so good

tumblr_nqwc6z94fe1rg7tero1_540.gif

THE SPEED! THE FEROCITY!
Dat matrix training came in handy.

I didn't expect the inspector to die so early in the season. Fun to see Lawrence Fishburne wreck Hannibal. At the same time, Hannibal survives the fall and walks away like a cat with 8 lives left or some shit.

Goodstyle

Loved this episode, but did anyone else groan whenever Will showed up on screen? His plotlines and dialogue aren't anywhere close to as interesting as the other three main characters...

Also "spitters are quitters" was hilarious.

Loved this episode, but did anyone else groan whenever Will showed up on screen? His plotlines and dialogue aren't anywhere close to as interesting as the other three main characters...

I agree to a degree. The episode was fantastic, but I've been left with some major reservations. The Will and Chiyoh scenes killed the momentum from the rest of the episode and sapped some of the energy. I didn't mind as it seemed to be moving in an interesting direction, but the conclusion to their time together, in particular sapped the energy from the episode and while I can certainly justify Chiyoh taking that action as she has every right to be extremeely wary of working with Will after all that she has witnessed, it obviously was driven by a plot desire to delay Will's meeting with Hannibal for another episode or two, and I struggled to find it a very convincing or interesting development as a result, having me rolling my eyes when it was revealed not to be a dream sequence (which I very much expected it to be initially as I'm sure was the intention). Similarly, while of course Hannibal himself cannot die at this stage in the show, I didn't buy that the cathartic interaction with Jack could possibly end in that manner. In that meeting, there is no way that either character allows the other to live (or at least, Jack does not allow Hannibal to live, Hannibal would allow Jack to survive but only so that he could take the fall for Pazzi's death because of the amusement it would provide). There was little sense of menace or tension (perhaps intended; the choreography was incredible, as how it was filmed) in the scene, and the resolution, with Jack using the anchor (?) as if it were a bat and clubbing Hannibal with it out the window was ridiculous as far as resolutions go. Had Hannibal simply crawled out and survived by grabbing onto Pazzi while Jack went to retrieve the weapon I wouldn't mind, but how it ended soured me. The rest of the episode was phenomenal, but the strings of the plot were too visible for me to accept in those two small yet pivotal moments (the train, and the window).

AoM

It's why I'm confused when people say this is their favorite portrayal of Will Graham. Dancy is fine, but Fuller and co. have deviated a lot from the source and made him a little too esoteric.

ValfarHL

Blaharharhaehaharhagagajgaraghhhh!

That ending gave me serious goosebumps!

DAMN YOU ALL STUPID PEOPLE WHO DOESN'T WATCH HANNIBAL!

This is my second favorite ending to a episode after the season two finale. Will is being a bit boring, so I can't rate it extremely high as best episode, but that ending maaaan.

How can this masterpiece of a tv show be cancelled? :((((

Moff

fantastic episode

got a few clockwork orange vibes from this episode because of the music. some enviromental music during the episode reminded me a lot of the electronic synthetic music from the movie. and rossini at the end just made me think that might not have been a coincidence.

Blader

GodDAMN at the beatdown Jack gave Hannibal. His escape at the end was a little too much, but what a satisfying fight scene. Pazzi's death was something else too.

I'm getting pretty tired of Will though. His subplot this season is very slow and very overwrought. I'm not sure what he even wants anymore.

carlsojo

Not a fan of season 3 so far. Just a bit too much nonsense.

Only a bit? Let me show you another close up of snails! Look at them!!

The latest episode was a step up in terms of shit happening. Dark Alana teaming up with Verger is great; she's so much cooler in vengeance mode. I thought it was interesting too that she
replaced Clarice's role in the Hannibal (novel) with calling Pazzi as he was being murdered and that brief conversations he had with Hannibal was I think very similar to the original.

Dice//

Banned
Yeah the amount of artsy-fartsy fluff this season has been annoying. The soundtrack is really pissing me off too....

*iris widens in slo-mo*
*almonds hit the cutting board because it's symbolic*
Drum SFX: BLUNK KLUNK....BOOM BOOM BOOM

That said I thought this episode was great, and I do like how Alana filled in for Clarice (like Carlsojo above also mentioned). Frankly, I would have had no problem with an ending re-write that
had Jack Crawford fucking brawl Hannibal to death (maybe tag-in Will for a one-two punch for good measure) and that's that
, and since "this is the end" why not go out with a bang. :p

Much better episode.

Monocle

Good stuff this last episode. As a book reader I'm loving the way this show mixes up the original material at times and stays very faithful to the books and films at others. It keeps me guessing, and shows that Fuller & co. are confident enough in their version of Hannibal that they can repeat what worked in previous iterations of the story rather than change every single thing to assert their creative control. Show Mason is very much like Gary Oldman's excellent movie version, and it works. Certain lines (which I can't remember offhand) gave me deja vu, and yet they felt appropriate coming out of Mads' mouth.

I have to admit I've been so entertained seeing Hannibal in his element, displaying the closest thing to naked glee he probably ever will, that I felt a little sympathy watching him get knocked across the room. On the other hand, go Jack! He deserved that catharsis, and maybe Hannibal is still enough of a friend to Jack that he won't begrudge him for trying to settle the score. If Season 2 taught us anything, it's that Hannibal is totally down for having meaningful dialogues with close friends through the language of violence.

Old Testament Alana is electrifying. Far more interesting than the mild mannered psychiatrist she was before.

Will just can't catch a break. But hey, at least his old friend the ravenstag is back!

I'm completely OK with the artsy stuff in this season, BTW. It feels like a defiant gesture toward the undeserving viewers and NBC execs who keep mediocre to decent shows alive and well while Hannibal carries on with its last legs purely on its own terms, absolutely unrivaled by any other drama on network or cable.

Every slow motion shot of a snail is an eloquent rebuke of the jerks who respond to Hannibal's cancellation with "Good, now Mads can play Euron Greyjoy on Game of Thrones, lol! Upgraaaaaaaade!"

Leeness

So. Satisfying. Oh. My. God.

I don't know what people are hinting at about what Hannibal is going to do to Will, and I can't... not... watch whatever happens, so I guess I'll just picture that fight over and over again
on the palms of my hands while I hide
:(

I will die if something horrible happens to Will. ...RIP me/us :(

By the way!

I'm assuming most people have heard this, but in case you're out of the loop, like me, great song inspired by Hannibal.

Ravenstag

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
In the movie Hannibal used a rare and hard-to-find plain edge Spyderco Harpy on Pazzi. He still has a Spyderco in the series but it looks like a Delica or Endura.

I searched for years for a plain edge Harpy and only found it through a Japanese dealer. We tried to talk to each other regarding a sale but just couldn't get it straightened out.

The Harpy is still in production with its signature serrated Spyderedge. I'd like to buy another one - I gave my last one away foolishly.

Loved everything outside of the will scenes. I think I've come to realize that I really don't care for his character outside of the interactions with Hannibal.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Loved everything outside of the will scenes. I think I've come to realize that I really don't care for his character outside of the interactions with Hannibal.

He's just gotten so much weirder.

He's just gotten so much weirder.

Yeah, well, you can blame Hannibal for that :|

I will die if something horrible happens to Will. ...RIP me/us :(

By the way! I'm assuming most people have heard this, but in case you're out of the loop, like me, great song inspired by Hannibal. Ravenstag

It'd kill me if something happens to him. I'm legit worried... I feel kinda dumb about it, too, even though I know Bryan is kinda doing his own thing with the source material, meaning regardless what happens in the books/movies, no one is safe :x

That song is really, really pretty. I wish I had that kind of talent, sheesh :\ Thanks so much for sharing it <3

dlauv

I liked seeing Hannibal getting the snot beat out of him. His escape was pretty campy. I wish they'd just bag him and start Red Dragon ffs.

A return to art fluff, but not so much to be completely disappointing. Will needs to snap out of his brooding stupor.

Enosh

okay episode, some obvious plot stupidity "dur lets hit him with the blunt end of the hook so that he can escape and then watch him for 5 minutes instead of rushing out to capture a dude with a broken hand and leg"

also the dialog in the first few minutes was one of the most awful things I've heard, "fireflies only live for a moment, better to really live for a moment" (or something along those lines) jesus fucking christ that's shit that 13 year olds put on their facebook wall

I'm still not on board with the some of the direction choices they've made this season, but this episode, especially the last five minutes were just tremendous.

I hope we're finally saying goodbye to all the ridiculous and useless slow motion sequences. I don't need to see Jack spreading his wife's ashes in slow motion. I really don't.

I do need to see more of Jack beating the shit out of Hannibal in slow motion though.

Asbel

okay episode, some obvious plot stupidity "dur lets hit him with the blunt end of the hook so that he can escape and then watch him for 5 minutes instead of rushing out to capture a dude with a broken hand and leg"

also the dialog in the first few minutes was one of the most awful things I've heard, "fireflies only live for a moment, better to really live for a moment" (or something along those lines) jesus fucking christ that's shit that 13 year olds put on their facebook wall

Also, Jack turned on the music as if it's his home turf and plan all along to sneak up on Hannibal but really its just cuz it added to the mood of the scene. Show has always been more plot and style driven than character driven but i enjoy the show for it's style.
but no excuse for the ring to fall vertically into the water when it should have come in at an angle. Just poor direction there.

Alpende

Great episode. The fight was amazing, so awesome to see Jack kick Hannibal's ass and rightfully so. Also, Mason Verger is just plain great. How he talks and what he says are a joy to listen to.

Holy shit that was a good episode. I've been loving everything in season 3 so far, even the super artsy stuff of the first couple episodes. It's nice to see things picking up though, especially with the gang all back in very different forms from season 2.

that spitters are quitters line still gets me.

Yep. Bryan Fuller getting that line on broadcast television is the most shocking thing the show has ever done.

Just goes to show what a channel will let you get away with when like five people are watching a show.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, well, you can blame Hannibal for that :|
Well of course.

It'd kill me if something happens to him. I'm legit worried... I feel kinda dumb about it, too, even though I know Bryan is kinda doing his own thing with the source material, meaning regardless what happens in the books/movies, no one is safe :x
Yeah they've been hinting at what will possibly happen to Will (Hannibal ending spoilers):
Drugged up, tied to a chair, top of head sawed off, hey look brains. Not killed but that's gonna need a few stitches.

Yep. Bryan Fuller getting that line on broadcast television is the most shocking thing the show has ever done.

Just goes to show what a channel will let you get away with when like five people are watching a show.
And yet they still blur out nudity in classic art. :V

Yeah they've been hinting at what will possibly happen to Will (Hannibal ending spoilers):
Drugged up, tied to a chair, top of head sawed off, hey look brains. Not killed but that's gonna need a few stitches.

I'm wondering if that will end up being the thing
that *fixes* Will, so to speak. Sets him back to S1 level Will. It makes him a functioning human again in the aftermath - but it also means he can't do what he used to do, which is why he has to go back to Hannibal in order to catch Dolarhyde. Which would be a really interesting way to go about it.

Top Bottom