• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

He also got hooked in the leg and fell at least two stories onto his face.

Chilton took a bullet to the cheek after having organs removed. Will's been disemboweled. Abigail had her throat slit. Jack had a 3 inch shard of glass planted in his neck. Alana fell out of a 2nd story window. The worst that's come out of ANY of that is a limp. The characters are pretty hardy on this show.

Chilton took a bullet to the cheek after having organs removed. Will's been disemboweled. Abigail had her throat slit. Jack had a 3 inch shard of glass planted in his neck. Alana fell out of a 2nd story window. The worst that's come out of ANY of that is a limp. The characters are pretty hardy on this show.

Is this true? I haven't been able to catch up yet, but I remember Fuller tweeting some cryptic things about her.

Actually, I don't want to know. But I'll point this out anyway.

Johndoey

Banned

lol, I guess it is a bit late for complaints on characters shrugging off injuries.

demolitio

This past episode is the first this season to really get me hooked again since it's been so slow so far with more style than substance. If Netflix picked it up, I'd probably end up subscribing the next day though. :p

AHA-Lambda

I just watched the 4th episode and I kinda wanted to post some impressions, just to see if this is just me. I'm not hating this season so far but I do feel let down to one degree or another.
I admit part of this I feel is it's difficult to pick up a new season for this show when the particulars of the last season are quite far back in my mind at this point.

My two main concerns are the episodes on the whole seem to be more, for lack of a better word, philosphical in nature and less narratively so. This has always been an element of course but 4 episodes in now for me (UK here, we're one ep behind the US) not much has really happened.

The other thing is Will, frankly I just don't understand his character's motivation at this point, how he acts isn't how any rational person would act; I know that's kinda of the point but I'm just not buying his character's arc right now.
This latest episode with other character's planning their revenge felt like the first instance I'd seen of people behaving rationally to the events that have befallen them.

Again, this may just be me, but something about this season has felt off, and I loved the previous 2 seasons and have also seen each film and read each book, so I'm a big Hannibal fan in general.

tumblr_ms8ww8TEtd1r8t4b8o6_r1_500.gif

;__;

Maybe it's because I've had time to talk myself into this state, given how long the writing has been on the wall, but I'm weirdly not that broken up about this even though it's probably the most invested I've been in a single TV show since BSG. Like Bobby said earlier, it's much better to have a show go out at its creative peak and on its own terms than to have it otherwise be dragged on into oblivion; and while I am positive that Fuller would have been able to create something worth watching for season 4, let alone the Silence of the Lambs license if that were ever a possibility, the things he's stated about the direction of season 3 have me confident that the show will reach a satisfying, conclusive arc.

I guess the other aspect of it is that I've always felt lucky, in a way, that this show ever existed at all. It's gorgeous, bizarre, uncompromising, and shockingly grotesque - words that I have rarely used to describe a television show, let alone a network television show, let alone in combination with each other. I will gladly accept a mere 39 brilliant episodes of that.

Yes yes, to all of this. I was overjoyed that we got a 3rd season at all, and I'm beyond grateful. But, I still can't help holding out a teensy bit of hope that, somehow, we'll get just a bit more after this miracle season.

-griffy-

Banned
Maybe it's because I've had time to talk myself into this state, given how long the writing has been on the wall, but I'm weirdly not that broken up about this even though it's probably the most invested I've been in a single TV show since BSG. Like Bobby said earlier, it's much better to have a show go out at its creative peak and on its own terms than to have it otherwise be dragged on into oblivion; and while I am positive that Fuller would have been able to create something worth watching for season 4, let alone the Silence of the Lambs license if that were ever a possibility, the things he's stated about the direction of season 3 have me confident that the show will reach a satisfying, conclusive arc.

I guess the other aspect of it is that I've always felt lucky, in a way, that this show ever existed at all. It's gorgeous, bizarre, uncompromising, and shockingly grotesque - words that I have rarely used to describe a television show, let alone a network television show, let alone in combination with each other. I will gladly accept a mere 39 brilliant episodes of that.
Part of me has been preparing for this and rationalizing it since the news it was picked up for a season 3, since I couldn't see how it would be picked up again unless some miracle happened with the ratings. Thinking we would get a "definitive" and unique version of the Hannibal backstory leading up to a "definitive" version of Red Dragon. And then the first part of this season even tackling some Hannibal book material, and fixing issues with Hannibal Rising. It all leads to Silence of the Lambs, which is a classic film. And then we can just ignore all the other things since the TV show covers everything else. It's fine. We were lucky to even get three seasons of this insane show at all, let alone on a major broadcast network. It's okay. Right?

...but then. Then I think about the glorious moment that could be (SOTL)
Hannibal freeing himself in Silence of the Lambs
This Hannibal, with this backstory, with these supporting characters, with this Chilton. The 3-4 seasons leading up to that moment, and how cathartic and horrifying and operatic and disturbing it would be. And other known moments we could anticipate and more unknown ones we couldn't even begin to dream of. And I get sad we likely won't ever see that vision fulfilled.

However, where things currently stand, I'd rather the show end as it is now than go some place where budget, time, and a possible shifting of cast and crew would creatively neuter it.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

It does feel pretty lucky we got a third season.

...but then. Then I think about the glorious moment that could be (SOTL)
Hannibal freeing himself in Silence of the Lambs
This Hannibal, with this backstory, with these supporting characters, with this Chilton. The 3-4 seasons leading up to that moment, and how cathartic and horrifying and operatic and disturbing it would be

It's been 25 years...

...maybe we can get a movie pitched.

LaneDS

Hard to be optimistic in the face of that news.

Struggling to imagine where it could end up now, and yet part of me still remains hopeful.

tchocky

I am not that upset with the cancellation of Hannibal because I never thought it would last this long and by the end of this season they would have pretty much covered all the books with the exception of Lambs which even if they got renewed are highly unlikely to get the rights to.

Seriously bummed that both of them passed. I feel like those were the best chances of getting proper exposure and a show-worthy budget.

-griffy-

Banned
It's been 25 years...

...maybe we can get a movie pitched.

Or, along similar lines, this Hitfix write-up brings up the idea of doing specials instead of a regular series. Something like Sherlock? That might solve the scheduling issues that American Gods and the actor's contracts lapsing created.

Three 90-minute specials to close the series out? Not a bad idea really.

Verger

Banned
Finally caught up. The past two episodes were definitely better than the first three, and I honestly feel they could have compressed the first three episodes into one ep and that the fourth episode should have been the first of the season.

The issue with the show is that it's far too plodding in certain aspects and there are some episodes that go way overboard with slow imagery instead of moving the plot along.

Will be interesting to see how they end this show this season. If there are any loose ends or not.

Monocle

Or, along similar lines, this Hitfix write-up brings up the idea of doing specials instead of a regular series. Something like Sherlock? That might solve the scheduling issues that American Gods and the actor's contracts lapsing created.

Three 90-minute specials to close the series out? Not a bad idea really.
That would work for me. Somebody with Twitter should share the idea with Fuller.

I really like how invisible 'new' Mason is from last season's.

btw: that train was moving at some speed (not maximum, but still quite a bit), and the human push is barely more than a few m/s worth in terms of power, so that should have hurt Will a lot more than a full-stop. I was expecting something more gruesome when that happened. Like, bouncing into multiple planks that would most certainly have killed him.
(Either that, or she has a superhuman push ability.)

And then Pazzi happened. :(
and some other thing that nobody cares about
*squeeee*

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Just caught up with Ep 4. I was sorta dissapointed when things played out with Pazzi how they did in the book/movie - then JC was there and Holy shit! Rematch!

Top Bottom