• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

Kuroyume

Banned
Yes they are.

https://instagram.com/p/5AUI_-jAGf/

Pannibal is how they call it.

Hope for some good news... Even if just a little.

Comic Con Pannibal in a little under one hour, will be uploaded to NBC.com at some point after.
GRIAtGb.jpg

He's so good looking. Damn

No wonder people stopped watching the show got cancelled - this is not the show I couldn't plow throw 2 seasons worth of fast enough. It has been so far up its ass from the premiere and if anything has only lodged its head further up there. There are no characters anymore, just robots spouting stiff platitudes that sound like anything but how people talk. The Hannibal/Bedelia scenes are particularly painful and cringe inducing. What a fall from grace. I'll be pretending the S2 finale is the series finale unless somehow the back end of the season miraculously pulls out of the tailspin.
When I read stuff like this, I wonder if the author slept through all of the Hannibal/Will and Hannibal/Bedelia scenes from S1/2.

If anything, the problem is that the characters who helped ground the show in some sort of tangible reality in which motive was clear (Freddie, the lab people, Chilton) are all on the sidelines, and the ones who used to be paragons of cool rationality (Alana, Jack) have been immutably traumatized.

I, for one, have greatly enjoyed partaking of the characters' hazy, dream-like existences this season. It's a natural progression from where they left off in S2.

Chiyoh can go suck a railroad spike, though. Such a poorly conceived character.

Kuroyume

Banned
People love the show for what it is. I don't know what to tell you (Solo). Do people talk in the real world like they do in this show? Probably not many if any. But this show has a loyal fan base for what it is. It's very artistic. And there's nothing like it on TV. I wouldn't want Hannibal any other way because it wouldn't be Hannibal anymore.

The first 2-3 episodes were rather slow because they were establishing a bunch of stuff that has paid off in these past few episodes.

Finalow

I don't like Chiyoh very much either, probably the only complaint I have so far.
still saying "fall from grace" compared to S1/S2 is complete nonsense.

I had my doubts this season but that was top 5 episode for sure

The transitions and dreamlike sequences actually felt in place probably because there was quite a bit of plot development along with it

Aegus

Is the food they produce for the show edible? I think this is a show I'd love to act in just to eat the food...even the Hannibal recipes. :p

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Is the food they produce for the show edible? I think this is a show I'd love to act in just to eat the food...even the Hannibal recipes. :p
To an extent. A lot of it (depending on a dietary habits/needs) has to be fashioned specifically for shooting and retake purposes.

Like the Otalans from S2 were actually candied marshmallows food colored and shaped to look like cooked birds.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
To an extent. A lot of it (depending on a dietary habits/needs) has to be fashioned specifically for shooting and retake purposes.

Like the Otalans from S2 were actually candied marshmallows food colored and shaped to look like cooked birds.

Yeah, they have this great feature on one of the blu-rays explaining it, it's pretty cool.

Monocle

No wonder people stopped watching the show got cancelled - this is not the show I couldn't plow throw 2 seasons worth of fast enough. It has been so far up its ass from the premiere and if anything has only lodged its head further up there. There are no characters anymore, just robots spouting stiff platitudes that sound like anything but how people talk. The Hannibal/Bedelia scenes are particularly painful and cringe inducing. What a fall from grace. I'll be pretending the S2 finale is the series finale unless somehow the back end of the season miraculously pulls out of the tailspin.
No need to advertise your impatience and coarse sensibilities. You won't find much agreement with people who have seen for themselves what this show has to offer and made a more than minimal effort to understand how the visual style tells the story. The proof of their own eyes and ears is enough.

Season 3 is just an extension of what the show has always been doing. And it's really paid off in the last few episodes. Episode 6 is one of the strongest in the whole series.

So no need to post, basically? Fun place.
Ignore Monocle :p

I can understand why someone (even one who enjoyed S1/2) would be repelled by S3. The tense, intimate dance between Hannibal and Will has created a sort of inertia for everything around them, and it can be frustrating on a plot level.

What has been gained, however, is something that I didn't know I wanted and that I can't go without in this show anymore: a visual poetry that operates as plot if you're keen to it, and even transcends plot in many cases.

The show is at its best when it combines the visual storytelling of metaphor and such with the more traditional pathways that dialogue and action offer. But the visual storytelling has been so strong this season that I almost don't care about the other elements backgrounding themselves.

In any case, I really do think that the "Red Dragon" arc will hush many of your concerns.

awp69

From a few things a read about the Comic Con event and interviews prior, sounds like in addition to still shopping for a home for the series, Fuller is saying it may return as a "feature". He even said it in a way that made it sound like it may be a movie by alluding to a possible post-televison future.

I would love that if it doesn't find a new outlet on TV. And, hell, if they could so it on a shoestring budget like the Veronica Mars movie that, while going in a few theaters, made its most money via same day on demand.

If the actors are game, why not? Certainly would give Fuller a way to truly end on his terms and with no censor constraints.

jonezer4

I loved this episode completely but i fully agree, it felt like a scene had been cut or something!

It was likely intentional. The show essentially made our perspective match Will's. Drugged, out of it, facing certain death, then... waking up, hung over on a pyscopath's farm, not quite knowing how we got there.

I liked it. I wouldn't even be upset if we simply had a few lines of exposition explaining how Will and Hannibal got from that room in Italy to Verger's estate, as I think most fans could pretty easily infer what happened.

That said, I would have no complaints about a badass action scene flashback either.

KarmaCow

You're not wrong, even Bryan Fuller said he's going full on with the pretentious direction this season. The signs of this has always been in the show, especially the second half of season 2. I'm sorta with you in that basically erasing the impact of season 2's finale hasn't been worth it yet, despite liking some of the stuff they've done this season.

That said, there are still a few more episodes left and if the latest episode is any indication of continuing quality, they should be great.

Looks like more Hannibal is not out of our feature (pun intended)
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/comic-con-2015-hannibal-feature-808142

There's a spoiler for next week's episode in there at the end if anyone cares.

jett

D-Member

I didn't want to post my equally negative impressions of the season with such a strong fanboy contingent here, but it feels safer with a like-minded feller. :p I agree with everything you said, mentioned some of it since the first episode came out. I don't understand Fuller here. And that Alana/Margot scene was fucking shit, I have no idea what you people are on about. Those "effects" couldn't have been cheaper and uglier to look at. Babby's first morphing software.

It's really quite simple. Hannibal has gone from one of my favorite shows to probably the worst in my entire rotation. Pure awful, on every level. The entertainment value has been jettisoned into outer space. It has become something that is impossible to recommend, this particular season, anyway. I've been waiting every week for a change or improvement but it seems this is what Fuller has done for the entire season. It pains me to say this, but maybe it deserves to die. I certainly don't want to see another season that carries on in this manner.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/comic-con-2015-hannibal-feature-808142
Well, at least Amazon wanted it.

Fuller confirmed that Netflix couldn't take on Hannibal for a fourth season because of the Amazon streaming deal, while Amazon "would like to have done it."

"[They] wanted to do it very quickly and I wanted to be able to get all the scripts in advance before we started shooting a fourth season and their desire to put it out immediately was impossible for us to do," Fuller said.

Makes me hopeful that someone else might be up for the sloppy seconds.

Kuroyume

Banned

Love the loyalty of the fanbase to the show, and the show to the fans. I always knew the Amazon deal would come to bite them back. The day it came out that the rights went to Amazon I was fucking bummed. Knowing what Netflix did for Breaking Bad. I was hopeful that the show finding its way to Netflix would have a smiliar effect. But they gave it to Amazon. And now they're in a bind.

Anyway, I hope things work out. I would rather have a TV show over a movie. I'll take anything but I feel like the television format is way better. They would have to condense so much to make a movie. It would bug me knowing what we could have gotten.

ivysaur12

Banned
Love the loyalty of the fanbase to the show, and the show to the fans. I always knew the Amazon deal would come to bite them back. The day it came out that the rights went to Amazon I was fucking bummed. Knowing what Netflix did for Breaking Bad. I was hopeful that the show finding its way to Netflix would have a smiliar effect. But they gave it to Amazon. And now they're in a bind.

Anyway, I hope things work out. I would rather have a TV show over a movie. I'll take anything but I feel like the television format is way better. They would have to condense so much to make a movie. It would bug me knowing what we could have gotten.

Amazon wanted to save the show, but Fuller's in first position on American Gods since he didn't have a showrunner deal on Hannibal past season 3. It would be probably a year before they could start working on Hannibal.

jett

D-Member
"As for what's to come, Dancy noted that there will be a three-year time jump between this past week's episode and the show's next installment on Thursday — which will see Will married. (Though that won't last long.)"

Whyyyyyy.

This show has beyond lost me.

It pains me to say this, but maybe it deserves to die. I certainly don't want to see another season that carries on in this manner.

You know just because it isn't for you, doesn't mean it deserves to die. There are others enjoying it. At least respect that.

This show means a lot to a certain group of people, myself included. Sometimes you just feel a piece of art gets your sensibilities. That's definitely this show for me. In many ways season 3 is exactly the show I've always wanted (but never knew I did). I'm so happy it has gone down the rabbit hole and, I've said it before, but I'd love to see it go even further. That kaleidoscope sex scene was exquisite to me.

And I can understand a certain betrayal from fans that enjoyed the first 2 seasons. But there is nothing in this season that the show hasn't dabbled in before. It's just embraced an element you didn't like, and so what? No one is forcing you to watch it. There is other art for you.

So, I don't get the reaction of, "I don't like this thing, it shouldn't exist". There are those of us that feel very in tune with the show, and that statement feels like a personal insult. You might has well be telling someone to "fuck off and die". I know that's not the intent, but it is unnecessarily harsh no matter how you cut it. It's not constructive in anyway and it's a petty attack on something that is already beaten down and rejected.

This show has beyond lost me.
It happened in the books too.

One reason you may feel unwelcome in this thread is that (unlike Monocle) you haven't articulated your dissatisfaction in any coherent way. It just seems like you're itching for an excuse to hate the show.

The are similarities in the arguments between people enjoying Hannibal's 3rd season and people enjoying the way Battlestar wrapped up, I'm finding. Or at least, the people who recognized that the elements in Battlestar's last two seasons that got emphasized were seeded throughout the shows first two seasons.

The analogy doesn't line up 1-to-1, of course, but the arguments for Hannibal's dive down the rabbit hole do seem a little reminscent of the arguments for Battlestar's embracing the religious aspect of its story.

Kuroyume

Banned
Amazon wanted to save the show, but Fuller's in first position on American Gods since he didn't have a showrunner deal on Hannibal past season 3. It would be probably a year before they could start working on Hannibal.

Yeah, I know. My hope is that even if they don't get someone soon that it's still on the table for later. The success of Arrested Development (not quality wise) I think showed that a fanbase can remain loyal and a show can attract new viewers. And look at Twin Peaks after so long... People were hungry for it. If Hannibal is gone for a year the fans will still be there.

"As for what's to come, Dancy noted that there will be a three-year time jump between this past week's episode and the show's next installment on Thursday — which will see Will married. (Though that won't last long.)"

Whyyyyyy.

That makese sense to me?

First off, I hate having read that because of what I saw at the end of the sentence. I had my guard down and highlighted.

Anyway,
I think it makese sense there's a gap? I mean the whole thing of Red Dragon is Will having to depend on Lecter for help. So would you expect Lecter to be apprehended, go through trial, etc. and within a short time frame go on to help with hunting Dolarhyde? And I don't think Will is physically in the condition to do that anyway.

I would love to see the series continue as Movies. I think that's the best option.

It would be one movie max, he spells that out clearly by saying "a feature" is possible

This show's getting one more thing max, season 4 or a movie. I love this show, but it's been delusion at best to think it makes it to 2017 or '18 in any capacity since the ratings for season 1 were dismal, let alone thinking it right now. At some point it really does make us look like we're wishing on every fallen star to get this thing lasting forever. This should have never even lasted 3 seasons period, so I'm happy even if this is the end. I've entered the acceptance stage fortunately or unfortunately by now

AoM

That makese sense to me?

First off, I hate having read that because of what I saw at the end of the sentence. I had my guard down and highlighted.

Anyway,
I think it makese sense there's a gap? I mean the whole thing of Red Dragon is Will having to depend on Lecter for help. So would you expect Lecter to be apprehended, go through trial, etc. and within a short time frame go on to help with hunting Dolarhyde? And I don't think Will is physically in the condition to do that anyway.

The gap isn't the problem (75-78 in the book, so the same), the problem is the marriage not lasting long. Maybe they just mean Molly going to Oregon, but I swear, if Dolarhyde gets her. I don't expect the arc to be 1:1 with the novel, but I hope that parenthetical is referring to the Oregon situation.

Kuroyume

Banned
The gap isn't the problem (75-78 in the book, so the same), the problem is the marriage not lasting long. Maybe they just mean Molly going to Oregon, but I swear, if Dolarhyde gets her. I don't expect the arc to be 1:1 with the novel, but I hope that parenthetical is referring to the Oregon situation.

Yeah, that makes sense and I totally agree with you if we're interpreting that correctly.
Feel like Will has suffered too much, lol

Monocle

Look, I'm not trying to drive anyone out of the thread. I just get frustrated when people trash a show that brings me so much joy, and has, from my perspective, clearly maintained its edge. The imagery and character arcs and narrative development are still pressing all the right buttons for me. It's the same show, following the same path through the bizarre oneiric wilderness of Bryan Fuller's imagination. I absolutely love that something as sophisticated and niche and unapologetically artistic as Hannibal exists on TV. It's practically a miracle given how tough it is to realize a coherent vision in popular media. Bold, creative, challenging stories are rarely popular or profitable.

The slow pace and dreamlike quality of the first several episodes of Season 3 feel absolutely right as part of the show's continuous narrative. The Season 2 finale was devastating for everyone involved. How many other shows would come back from a long break and respect the significance of such terrific trauma enough to sacrifice any opportunity to court new viewers, in favor of showing the aftermath with the emotional honesty the characters deserve?

VistraNorrez summed up where I'm coming from really well:

You know just because it isn't for you, doesn't mean it deserves to die. There are others enjoying it. At least respect that.

This show means a lot to a certain group of people, myself included. Sometimes you just feel a piece of art gets your sensibilities. That's definitely this show for me. In many ways season 3 is exactly the show I've always wanted (but never knew I did). I'm so happy it has gone down the rabbit hole and, I've said it before, but I'd love to see it go even further. That kaleidoscope sex scene was exquisite to me.

And I can understand a certain betrayal from fans that enjoyed the first 2 seasons. But there is nothing in this season that the show hasn't dabbled in before. It's just embraced an element you didn't like, and so what? No one is forcing you to watch it. There is other art for you.

So, I don't get the reaction of, "I don't like this thing, it shouldn't exist". There are those of us that feel very in tune with the show, and that statement feels like a personal insult. You might has well be telling someone to "fuck off and die". I know that's not the intent, but it is unnecessarily harsh no matter how you cut it. It's not constructive in anyway and it's a petty attack on something that is already beaten down and rejected.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

You're not wrong. Hannibal on the run hasn't been nearly as good as I imagined going in.

The Red Dragon story is about to start though which hopefully pulls this season up.

kirblar

The issue is that the stretched out sequences are being done in large part because of stretched out story and stretched out budget.

Verger

Banned
Yeah, count me in the group that didn't like the direction this show took in Season 3. I still loved the first two seasons, but this season has been tough to watch and there has been very little entertainment overall. And as I've made aware many times, they still haven't tried to fix any auditory issues with being able to hear the actors (in particular Mads) when they're speaking and what they're enunciating, which doesn't help when they talk in euphemisms and metaphors so often.

The past few episodes have definitely been an improvement overall to the slow bore that was the first two episodes which should have been consolidated in one. I honestly didn't care for any of the Hannibal and Bedelia scenes. I'm sorry, I love Gillian but her acting in this has been bleh, she sounds so bored.

Also, the guy doing Inspector Pazzi was terrible, certainly a decrease from Giancarlo Giannini in the film, glad he wasn't around long. However the guy they got to replace Michael Pitt as Verger is doing a very good job, though clearly channeling a lot of Gary Oldman in his performance, with some of the dirty humor of Pitt. It's certainly one of the better re-castings in recent memory and the timing was definitely perfect for it.

In spite of my dislike for this Season, I do wish Fuller had been able to get his realization of the original idea of Seven Seasons for the show. It's clear at some point he realized it could never be done (and I wouldn't bet agains those damned IP issues with the Silence of the Lambs characters also impacted things) and so he decided to mix things up and do the events of "Hannibal" before Red Dragon.

Top Bottom