• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

Did any one else notice Reba's huge bicep while she and Francis are laying in bed?

She's pretty tanked. I was like goddamn, I can't see Armitage taking her without a fight.

And the CG this episode was just...ugh. I get that they want to do so much visually driven stuff, but when you don't have the budget to do it properly, just don't bother. Those scenes are going to look so awful and out of place during rewatches.

I'm just glad the Graham dogs get to live lol, ever since they've been playing Will up as the most selfless god of animal lovers I suspected they were gonna let Dollarhyde pick them off, glad to see that wasn't the case.

I feel like the odd man out, because I kinda didn't like that episode. There are times where the show goes a little "too much" and it felt like that line was crossed too frequently. This was mostly through some of the (over)acting and dialogue, but in other parts, too.

As someone who really liked the fiery image of the Red Dragon in the other episode, the CG in this episode was...not good. I like the transition to seeing Dolarhyde beat himself up, but prior to that, it looked pretty silly.

Having said that, Armitage is still fucking amazing as Dolarhyde. I was disappointed that we didn't actually get to SEE him speaking in his "Dragon" voice--the turned head was kinda cheap.

Still going back and forth on Molly. Not a fan of the whole "don't tell dad" moment, but I loved the house assault. Her scene with Will in the hospital didn't really work for me...not because of the performances or anything like that, but really just because I feel like we never got a good grip on her character. Given the amount of time we've actually spent with her (this is really the first episode that prominently features her), maybe that's the cause. Still, I DO like that she has become more conflict versus her earlier "go ahead and try to find this dangerous killer, it will be good for you" position.

Maybe it needs a rewatch.

Yeah, I am happy that the show gave Molly more to do. In the book, I think Jack saves them? Someone (Sepinwall?) pointed out that this change makes Molly AND Jack more interesting, as it gives Will even more reason to push Jack away.

Unrelated: bummed to find that this shirt

tumblr_nq5lzkzEt01sy7qkmo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_nq5lzkzEt01sy7qkmo1_1280.png

Is only available in Canada (they don't ship to the US). :( Anyone know of a similar style of shirt? Looking for some shirts I can wear to work that ride the line between business and casual. It's not a super unique shirt, but those prices are great.

They don't ship to the US? What the actual fuck? I mean, I guess Canadian shipping is a huge ripoff, but damn :( Those shirts are really nice, I wouldn't mind a few of them myself :x

Been enjoying the hell out of the second half of the season. But I started giggling when I saw those baseballs flying towards the screen during a transition last ep. I thought it looked kinda silly.

AoM

Yeah, I am happy that the show gave Molly more to do. In the book, I think Jack saves them? Someone (Sepinwall?) pointed out that this change makes Molly AND Jack more interesting, as it gives Will even more reason to push Jack away.

Is only available in Canada (they don't ship to the US). :( Anyone know of a similar style of shirt? Looking for some shirts I can wear to work that ride the line between business and casual. It's not a super unique shirt, but those prices are great.

If you're referring to an attack by Dolarhyde, it gets nowhere close to this. They skipped the whole cipher plot (which Hannibal even jokingly mentioned). All Jack did was make the arrangements after the code was broken.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 3: Season 12 "The Number of the Beast Is 666..."

The FBI enlists the help of Dr. Fredrick Chilton in hope of drawing Francis Dolarhyde into an ambush; Will's empathy for Dolarhyde impacts his psyche.
Please spoiler tag discussions about this episode until it has aired in the US on August 22.

Blader

There's plenty in Target :p

awp69

I find it odd that they brought back Freddie for this arc but she hasn't been used much and sounds like she won't with the direction it's going.

Begaria

Welp, hook, line, and sinker.

Edit: Whew. I had to take a few unexpected breaths since I was holding it during that scene.

Did he just bite out his tongue? I think he just bit out his tongue.

Begaria

Oh god,
Hannibal quickly eating a raw piece of Chilton.
The look on his face is priceless.

Edit:
Christ, how is Chilton still alive?!

Leeness

Starting. Prayer circle.

And just a minute in, the best conversation ever.

"Does Hannibal...love me?"
"Yes, but do you ache for him?"

Approximately 500 fanfics were born from those words alone.

thank u hannibal thank u

Leeness

20 minutes in...

Chilton is so fucked it isn't even funny, RIP suave man.

Continuing...

I'm not sure if I can watch the rest of this episode, it's obviously going to get way worse before it gets any better... Am I even up for this tonight?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'll be an extreme minority on this but...The GOAT TV series of all time...lost many feathers tonight. I hated this. Every episode of the Red Dragon arc so far was a masterpiece but IMO...the ball was dropped tonight.

Leeness

38 minutes in I DON'T THINK I CAN DEAL WITH THIS

Lol
Hannibal is so hyped

What the hell
he's actually alive

I'll be an extreme minority on this but...The GOAT TV series of all time...lost many feathers tonight. I hated this. Every episode of the Red Dragon arc so far was a masterpiece but IMO...the ball was dropped tonight.

I won't call it the Greatest TV Show of All Time but One of the Greatest Adaptations on TV.

Absolutely enjoyed this show. Even though I was horrified by most of it

Why the hell can't this air right now in the US. It's driving me crazy. Christ, the torrent sites don't even have it and it aired what, two hours ago?

CloudWolf

Okay episode, but
Chilton has to have the craziest plot armor I've ever seen. He's been disemboweled, shot through the head and burned alive. How the hell is this guy still breathing?

I can see where you're coming from. They changed around too much stuff IMO, the most important being Dolarhyde's character.
In the book and the two movie adaptations Dolarhyde's internal struggle between the Red Dragon and his personal feelings for Reba are central to the plot and really makes Dolarhyde more than just some crazy madman, with this episode of the show it's made clear that this version of Dolarhyde feels absolutely nothing for Reba and that he's basically just the 'monster of the week'.

I guess it makes sense with the show being more revolved around Hannibal and his relationship to the other characters, but it's kinda disappointing.

jett

D-Member
This episode just moved at such a glacial pace that it was robbed of any purported tension for me. And the changes made are a bit strange.
The FBI literally set up Chilton to get murdered, for no discerning reason.
And the scenes with Bedelia are just the worst.

Red Dragon, a Brett Ratner joint, handled this better to be honest.

This episode should have been one of the strongest in the entire show, and it failed spectacularly. The rest of the Red Dragon arc had been, I felt, handled very well, but this episode pretty much crushed it in my eyes. A few weeks ago I'd commented that I was very concerned about how the Red Dragon arc would be handled with regard to the pacing, and felt that it should have been an entire season. Until this episode, my fears had been alleviated; now, I once again feel that the season as a whole was crushed by Fuller being left unable to balance the pace with the style of the show. That episode, I feel was toothless and contrived. Needless to say, I did not enjoy it at all.

(spoilers for this episode)
Up to the point where Reba entered the home, the episode had been going very strongly. Chilton's situation was horrifying as it should have been, and Raul's acting was fantastic; Reba then appeared and the episode just spiralled, and Chilton's survival was the tragic crash landing. The only reason Reba came was so that Chilton, surviving, could provide further information on her to Jack and Will to help identify where the Red Dragon works, and who he is, while also adding a completely contrived tension (the tension should have come from Chilton trying to talk his way into survival, not from Reba unexpectedly appearing and fearing will he/won't he say something). This isn't the show containing a strongly surreal and nightmarish tone, this is a completely contrived development in which the strings of the plot draped the events unfolding and strangled any modicum of weight from them, and at the same time it was a complete cheat in a show that already was chock full of them (yet whereas before it was understandable, this was not the time, remotely, to pull one). It was a completely misjudged decision on the part of those in charge of the show, and spat upon all that had gone before it in the episode. While Reba's kidnapping does fit with a Dolarhyde who has fully embraced that he is the dragon, and had lost the struggle between his two personas, it most definitely did not follow on from the episode, and was left as jarring development simply because a checklist is being followed of events which must happen with disregard as to how well these are actually paced. To be entirely honest, this episode, and the survival of Chilton, has tremendously soured me on the entire arc. While this is partly because this is one of my favourite parts of Red Dragon and was recklessly shuffled and altered, it's much more prominently because I think it's a tremendously cowardly move and indicates a huge fear from transitioning away from the status quo. Yes, Raul is a good actor, but this was his time to go. The fact that the protection on Chilton was so absolutely flimsy, and they did so little to secure him despite doing so much to secure Graham, just served as a further mocking point that didn't fit in with atmosphere or tone remotely.

EDIT: Suffice to say, I did not like that episode, not one bit. It was the equivalent of trying to have your cake and eat it too.

I enjoyed the episode quite a bit. Can't say I had any major problems with it. It had some very funny moments and sone really disturbing ones. Can't wait to see how they close this out.

As for the controversial elements,
Lounds survives the burning in the book too. Although he eventually dies from it. Can't say I have a problem with Chilton making it either. The guy is a king weasel and tends to always makes it through. Wonder if we'll see him at all next episode, or learn anything else about his fate.

I do wonder why they went with Chilton and not Lounds, or even Bloom. Did Fuller feel having a woman in the scene would have fundamentally changed it too much?

Top Bottom