• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hans Zimmer announced as Dragon Age: The Veilguard Main Theme Composer

Draugoth

Gold Member

We're thrilled to announce @HansZimmer and @Lornebalfe as the composers for #DragonAge: The Veilguard! To celebrate, a word from Hans Zimmer: "Epic stories lend themselves to epic scores, and the narrative tapestry BioWare has woven in The Veilguard never left me wanting for inspiration, be it during the game’s moments of shining heroism or darkest emotional pitfalls. I’m proud to have shared the journey of creating the musical backdrop for the latest Dragon Age adventure with Lorne and the entire design team.”Listen to the full main theme at the link in bio/here:

The gameplay preview got me to try out the series. I’m still looking forward to this as of now. This just adds to it.

Last edited:

XXL

I love Hans Zimmer.

My interest in the game
No Way Kg GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

My interest in the soundtrack
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF by The Taboo Group

This sounds amazingly bad. It's got that Ramin Djawadi thing going on where a composer can make a 100-piece orchestra sound like a midi track.
What a generic and dull fantasy theme. Can't believe this same composer has done Dune, Gladiator, the Dark knight trilogy, Pirates of the Caribbean, Inception, Interstellar etc. masterpieces.
Right. It sounds completely phoned in.

Last edited:

Exede

Hey Hans, kannst du uns helfen! Wir stellen dir ein paar Geldkoffer hin für ein Theme damit die Kunden gut über uns reden und unseren Mist vergessen!

Bitte bitte

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Yawn.
Pretty sure Zimmer has a couple of ghost composers for the... less-prestigious projects.

A lot of the stuff is him writing a few cues and having the assistants (people like Lorne Balfe and HG-W) actually handle the soundtrack. When they branch off and go solo, people end up describing them as Zimmer clones.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Two thoughts, one this can't be cheap, two, how much actual composing is he doing these days and how much does he pass off to students/understudies?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Zimmer is goated AF, but judging by the previews, the only epicness this game is gonna get is by being on EGS.

For Bioware's sake, I hope the game is good, but Anthem was a huge miss, and it's unclear if they have what it takes anymore.

That's awful, starts with a loud ass honk then a quiet cacophany of nonsense then kicks in with the most generic main menu theme we've heard in tons of other aaa games

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well at least they did the music right. I actually thought the dragon fight looked kinda fun. What I can't seem to get over is just how...blue and purple the game is. Maybe they are just showing one area of the game so far, but I would really like to see a better color palette...cuz this aint it.

Kacho

Gold Member
Thread lasted 5 posts.
I mean... legendary composer puts out a generic piece of music for a controversial video game. Not much room for meaningful discussion here.

The only thing we can hope for is that the game is outstanding. That's the only way to change the conversation at this point. I'm leaning on checking it out because there ain't shit else to play between Silent Hill 2 and Dragon Quest 3. I better see you in the OT.

AgatonSax

Hey Hans, kannst du uns helfen! Wir stellen dir ein paar Geldkoffer hin für ein Theme damit die Kunden gut über uns reden und unseren Mist vergessen!

Bitte bitte
Now I have a machine gun. Ho, Ho, Ho.

Anyway Hans Zimmer is basically a music factory at this point with a ton of sub composers. I highly doubt this is all him.

The only thing we can hope for is that the game is outstanding. That's the only way to change the conversation at this point. I'm leaning on checking it out because there ain't shit else to play between Silent Hill 2 and Dragon Quest 3. I better see you in the OT.
I probably won’t make it in time. I want to finish Dragon Age Origins, 2, and Inquisition before checking this out.

I had a horrible time with the Xbox version of Origins so I had to move to the Steam version with mods. I’m hovering over a C rating with how much I’ve experienced so far.

At best this game will either be like Mass Effect 1 or 3, and I think at worst this game will be like Mass Effect Andromeda, which had a story that needed more oomph but had great combat.

pudel

I mean... legendary composer puts out a generic piece of music for a controversial video game. Not much room for meaningful discussion here.

Yep, maybe its even possible to roleplay a "far right incel". Now that would be funny! :messenger_winking_tongue:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Pre-release, at the BioWare office:

Game director:

giphy.gif

People, the hype for the game is dead (if it ever been alive), what the fuck should we do? The launch is almost here...

Dev 1:

Well, how about we just tell that the main theme was composed by famous hollywood music producer?

beavis-and-butthead-laughing-beavis-butthead.gif

Dev 2:

And all cutscenes and intro was shot, written, produced, directed, supervised, storyboarded, masterminded by James Cameron!

giphy.gif

Dev 3:

And that you can adjust the size of the penis and breasts in the character creation and have a pink hair!

giphy.gif

Dev 4:

giphy.gif

And that all of the DLCs will be free!

Dev 5:

giphy.gif

Game director:

giphy.gif

You're fuckin' dumbasses and perverts, what do I even pay you for?

Last edited:
My first Hans Zimmer video game composition foray was the opening theme of Modern Ware Warfare 2 (2009) on the Xbox 360.

I got my copy early because I know a few retailers in my town, close friends, and they would take a few for their families and one for me as well.

It was great because we could be done with the campaign and then kick straight into MP on launch day. We just shouldn't be online with it, till then, or we'll get banned (his retailer license revoked) and hide our achievement lists (game history).

It's safe to say that I was not fucking ready for this absolute banger...

One of my all-time favorite opening cutscenes/OST/story montages ever.

The pure love for the lore with those montage bits from MW1 (2007), "It's the F.N.G., Sir.", "What the hell kinda name is SOAP?!" as throwback from the beloved game from 2 years ago, were just the icing on the cake that elavates the score.

It was during the credits of the campaign only where I got to know Zimmer composed the main theme (opening theme).

The next piece I heard of him in gaming was from Crysis 2, a couple of years later.

Another great composition.

I was not interested in Dragon Age: Veilguard, till now. But, I absolutely will try to get it during a Steam sale with the OST, and only hope the game is good or even as good as Inquisition. It doesn't even need to be on the same level as Origins.

Top Bottom