• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard Reset |OT| Resetting the Shooter Genre, two guns at a time

Pranay

Hard-Reset-615.jpg

Information -
Developer: Flying Wild Hog
Exclusively on: PC
Release date: September 13, 2011
Genre: First-person shooter
Mode: Single-player
Cost: Steam - Pre-Purchase Hard Reset @ 26.99 USD

DEMO OUT ON STEAM

Impressions and Screenshots from the Demo

About the Game
In the only remaining human city of Bezoar, Major Fletcher, an Army Combat Veteran and soldier of the CLN, is dragged into a conflict between two of mankind's greatest enemies. He is to discover that nothing is what it seems to be.

Hard Reset is an action-packed, single-player shooter for the PC. With over-the-top destruction, loads of enemies, great weapon variety and a beautifully realized cyberpunk setting, Hard Reset is sure to shake up the shooter scene.

Game is inspired from
Ssfebox.jpg
Painkiller_Coverart.png

About the Developers -
The Flying Wild Hog a Polish developer that is made up from members of the team behind Bulletstorm (from People Can Fly), and former developers from CD Projekt Red and City Interactive.

Key features:

A haunting cyberpunk / dark sci-fi setting
Fast-paced, old-school shooter gameplay
Hordes of enemies to destroy
Epic boss fights
A deep, experience-based weapon upgrade system
High-fidelity graphics with full dynamic lighting
Extensive use of physics and dynamic environments
Hard Reset will be DRM-free

System Requirements

Minimum:
Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64
Memory: 2 GB
Hard Disk Space: 4 GB free hard drive space
Video Card: 512 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GS / ATI Radeon HD 3870 or better
DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c
Sound: DirectX Compatible

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Quad Core 2.3 GHz / AMD Phenom II x4 2.5 GHz
Memory: 3 GB
Hard Disk Space: 4 GB free hard drive space
Video Card: 512 MB NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT / ATI Radeon HD 4870 or better
DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c
Sound: DirectX Compatible

Screenshots -
4-590x347.jpg

1-590x347.jpg

747ce3.jpg

476483.jpg

3d89bd.jpg

7ad318.jpg

Videos -
Hard Reset Teaser Trailer
Hard reset Gameplay Trailer
Hard Reset Story Teaser

Previews -
'FROM THE MOODY CYBERPUNK ATMOSPHERE TO THE FINAL BOSS ENCOUNTER AGAINST A SKYSCRAPER-SIZE CYBORG, WE LIKED WHAT WE PLAYED OF HARD RESET.'
Gamespot.com

'IT'S A GORGEOUS-LOOKING GAME WITH A GREAT VISUAL DESIGN, CHALLENGING WAVE-BASED GAMEPLAY, AND AN HONEST, OLD-FASHIONED SENSIBILITY THAT HELPS SET IT APART FROM MODERN SHOOTERS'
Destructoid.com

'IT'S GOT THAT SINGLE-PLAYER SHOOTER VIBE YOU GET FROM GAMES LIKE HALF-LIFE, WHERE THE DEVELOPERS DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT BALANCING WEAPONS FOR MULTIPLAYER MATCHES AND CAN JUST CONCENTRATE ON MAKING AN ENJOYABLE SOLO EXPERIENCE'
Kotaku.com

'SUCH FIDELITY, COMBINED WITH 1990S SHOOTER VALUES, DESPERATELY RUNNING BACKWARD AS YOU AVOID THE ONSLAUGHT, IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M MISSING FROM MY GAMING AT THE MOMENT.'
RockPaperShotgun

'FOR A DEBUT GAME, HARD RESET IS INCREDIBLY CONFIDENT IN BOTH ITS IMAGE AND ITS APPROACH - AND AT A TIME WHEN THE POSTER BOY FOR OLD-SCHOOL SHOOTING IS A SUB-PAR DUKE NUKEM GAME, MAYBE HARD RESET COULD BE THE TITLE CLASSIC FPS FANS HAVE LONG BEEN HOPING FOR'
Beefjack

'WHILE THE GAME MAY HAVE COME OUT OF NOWHERE, AND PROBABLY WASN'T ON YOUR 'MUST BUY' LIST BEFORE, IT SHOULD DEFINITELY BE THERE.'
FPSGuru

'
HARD RESET IS THE MODERNIZATION OF OLD-SCHOOL FPSING. IT'S ALL ABOUT CREATIVE, CRAZY WEAPONS, BEAUTIFUL BATTLEFIELDS, AND BIG BAD GUYS'
Gamepro.com

Reviews -

I've had it pre-ordered for awhile. Man, Dead Island/Space Marine/Rock of Ages this week and next week it's Hard Reset/Red Orchestra 2. Busy times.

Just beat the demo, soooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad they made this game :)

It actually uses your graphics card so watch your temps, mine shot up 10C higher than even Metro.

Fl1pp13 said:
So guys, I thought it was nice to supply you with some new screenshots. Don't mind my website logo, as I posted them there. Uncut, unsorted:

screenshot 1
screenshot 2
screenshot 3
screenshot 4
screenshot 5

Don't mind the graphics, as my PC isn't top notch

4:3? you play on a crt too?
oldschool, HIGH five.
Input lag : just say no!

Fl1pp13 said:
Yep, I spent all my money on games, which means I don't have to money for a wide-screen high-tech screen
Don't fret, lcd monitors suck unless you spend 800 dollars on one, and even then it's inferior.

Fl1pp13

Neo Member
SneakyStephan said:
4:3? you play on a crt too?
oldschool, HIGH five.
Input lag : just say no!

Yep, I spent all my money on games, which means I don't have to money for a wide-screen high-tech screen

scitek

FRAPS benchmarks of the first level here, everything maxed, the only differences bing the AA methods:

At 1080p

4xFSAA
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
16894, 344703, 31, 82, 49.010

MLAA
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
27689, 324515, 38, 153, 85.324

My rig:
AMD Phenom II x4 3.5GHz
2GB Radeon 6950 w/ unlocked shaders
4GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
FUCK YES

I'm buying this tommorow, need to put money on my card!

The demo was awesome.

Zenith

Banned
I think people are giving this waaaaaaaaaaay too much of a pass because it's billed itself "PC centric". A good FOV and AA does not make a game.

G-Fex

Zenith said:
I think people are giving this waaaaaaaaaaay too much of a pass because it's billed itself "PC centric". A good FOV and AA does not make a game.

Or cause it's you know...Fun

Zenith said:
No but the problem is, some games call them selfs great games for the pc but they are really not and this game just is.
Played the demo and it was great really looking forward picking this up in the December steam sell.
Sorry their are just to many games now to buy it now.

Coxswain

Zenith said:
Good, imaginative weapons and the ability to actually walk and chew bubblegum at the same time, on the other hand, set it as pretty much the leader of the pack right now.

Is there any non steam place to buy this for same price? My dad is a huge painkiller fan so i wanted to get it for him as a treat.

If not I'll force him on Steam and then gift it to him.

Wallach

Demo runs great. Ultra @ 1080p w/ MLAA was a solid 60 FPS on my 5850. Looks great, but cramped so far so it should be expected to look good in these very small environments.

The upgrade system seems really fun. Not really impressed with the sound effects, which I think is kind of important in a game like this. The shotgun sounded impotent. Fun to use though, and the secondary function was really useful.

Wish the weapon switching was faster. Seems too slow for how important the weapon swapping function is.

Zenith said:

What are you talking about? This game doesn't have a good fov

LordAlu

Demo of this is good fun, gonna have to buy this when it releases.

Nice job on the OP Pranay, needs a quick edit -you've got Genre listed twice in your Information section. :)

vulva

read
HARD RESET IS THE MODERNIZATION OF OLD-SCHOOL FPSING. IT'S ALL ABOUT CREATIVE, CRAZY WEAPONS, BEAUTIFUL BATTLEFIELDS, AND BIG BAD GUYS'
as
HARD RESET IS THE MODERNIZATION OF OLD-SCHOOL FISTING. IT'S ALL ABOUT CREATIVE, CRAZY WEAPONS, BEAUTIFUL BATTLEFIELDS, AND BIG BAD GUYS'

somehow seems appropriate for this game. Very excited to play the demo.

Corto

It felt very Ratchet and Clank, the shooting and crazy weapons part of R&C. The colors too. And off course the fun! Very fun demo. The finale was just what the demo needed to keep me interested in buying it. Will count the cents to try to fit this on my budget.

Zenith said:

Ehm lets see.
Technically : runs well, graphics options, 1:1 mouse input, looks good, demo build is already very solid with no bugs or glitches.

The art design is great judging from demo, trailers and screenshots, animations for weapons and enemies are cool.

Gunplay is fun, firing modss are fun and original;
No regenerating health (your shields get knocked out in no time they only partly buffer the first hit if you play on hard or higher before you start with blabla regenerating shields), look at the shield as a buffer, you get hit once it'll protect your health bar a bit, you get hit again (I.E you fucked up to get hit twice) and it won't be there and you get to hunt for a health pack like old times.
-> there are ammo and health pick ups oldschool style.
Hip fire, no reload, no ADS horseshit.

25 dollar price.

Noone is giving anything 'a pass'. The AA doesn't work btw so you haven't even played it or looked at it properly.
It's not perfect (no strafejumping, no mod tools, environments not nearly maze-ey enough), stupid strawberry jam/blur.

But as far as fps games go it's a million times more interesting as a pc game than all the pathetic console port crap from the last few years.
Combination of good gunplay, artstyle, stability/performance at release, fov combination simply doesn't exist anymore.

It's the closest thing to a proper painkiller/uneal style game that we've gotten in a long time.
Played through it (the demo) 4 times now and itching to play it again as I wrote this up, so yeah it clearly has to be a terrible game that we only condone to tout our pc elitism right...

Top Bottom