• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Matthew McConaughey graduated to the A lister status, or still ways to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was checking RottenTomatoes upcoming movies, and came upon this upcoming MM movie called Mud. Currently sitting at 94% (surely will go down) with 18 reviews, releasing next month.

KMRDYzk.jpg
Mud is an adventure about two boys, Ellis and his friend Neckbone, who find a man named Mud hiding out on an island in the Mississippi. Mud describes fantastic scenarios-he killed a man in Texas and vengeful bounty hunters are coming to get him. He says he is planning to meet and escape with the love of his life, Juniper, who is waiting for him in town. Skeptical but intrigued, Ellis and Neckbone agree to help him. It isn't long until Mud's visions come true and their small town is besieged by a beautiful girl with a line of bounty hunters in tow. (c) Roadside Attractions
Here's the trailer. Sounds kinda like A History Of Violence, a fantastic fucking film. One of the best of the last decade easily. So looking at career trajectory of MM over the past 5 or 6 years, he has been in some really good movies: Lincoln Lawyer, Magic Mike and a few indie ones. I don't see him coming in stupid chick flicks or lame blockbusters. And then, he's starring in this new movie where he plays AIDS victim.
What sayeth gaf, is he in the same league as (just throwing it out there), Leo DiCaprio or Baleman?

Jb

I don't think he could carry a blockbuster, but smaller Soderbergh and other indie flicks? Sure.

Aylinato

One movie doesn't make him solid A, but I do enjoy him when he isn't the "gets all the girls" annoying character Hollywood makes him out to be, really is annoying.

kirblar

No. If anything, he's been choosing much lower profile roles of late.
It feels like he's trying to reinvent himself because he knows the clock's been ticking on his ro-com leading roles. Which seems to be paying huge dividends to us, the viewer.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you don't think Matthew McConahey is "A-list" you don't understand what "A-list" is.

Not every A-list actor is Will Smith.

Meier

He's been on a roll lately. Lots of highly regarded indie flicks and of course Magic Mike. 2013 should be a big year for him.

Avinexus

Well, this is the first time I've seen the trailer for Mud, it looks fantastic. He has been A-list for years though, he is just terrible at choosing roles (and/or his agent sucks).

He headlined a few movies, Sahara. Fool's Gold,e etc. They weren't very good.

He's at his best when he's doing indie movies. Killer Joe, magic Mike, Lincoln Lawyer and the upcoming Mud as mentioned in the OP,

jmdajr

I feel he was on the up and up after Contact , A Time to Kill.

Downhill since then in my opinion. At least in popularity, big time movies.

edit: Reign of Fire was cool!

Symphonic

Matthew McConaughey and Reese Witherspoon in the same movie?

Getting as far the fuck away from that movie as possible. Two of Hollywood's worst actors. This could get a perfect score from every single person I know and I would still rather slit my throat than step foot in a theater that's thinking about showing it on 1/2 of one of their screens.

Raiden

Banned

Getting as far the fuck away from that movie as possible. Two of Hollywood's worst actors. This could get a perfect score from every single person I know and I would still rather slit my throat than step foot in a theater that's thinking about showing it on 1/2 of one of their screens.

She was pretty great in Walk the Line. Calling her the worst is just incorrect. You probably just cant stand her.

He's a good streak, with commercial fare like The Lincoln Lawyer, Magic Mike (haven't seen), and something indie like Killer Joe, which is particularly crazy.

I bought that Unsolved Mysteries collection many years ago and he was actually an actor in one of their cheap reenactments. He was very young, but it's cool seeing how far he made it.

Also I remember seeing Mike Myers in an epsiode of "The Littlest Hobo".

I've never disliked him as an actor. I may not have liked some of the movies he's been in, but I think he's a consistent and charming actor. I especially loved him in Frailty, Killer Joe, and Magic Mike.

jmdajr

VTS_02_4.gif

Bump.

Mud opening next week, April 26th

Rottenwatch: 95%

Authentically Southern Gothic, featuring one of Matthew McConaughey's best performances ever.
Confidently expanding his inquiry into the essence of American masculinity, Nichols' latest pressure-cooker pastoral conjures a wily figure of endangered Southern chivalry.
The most immediately involving film that I've seen in a good long while.

Wow.

Is Seann William Scott even at Seann William Scott level anymore?

I remember Goon.

Is SWS doing anything nowadays?

Zoe

He's been making appearances around town lately with his new charity, and he is not looking good. He may have gained back some weight after that one role, but it's taken its toll on his face.

After killer joe I can say he's one of the actors I'm interested in seeing in more films now. Mud is from the dude who made take shelter so it should be pretty damn good

He was also awesome in magic mike and his small appearances in eastbound and down and tropic thunder were hilarious

After killer joe I can say he's one of the actors I'm interested in seeing in more films now. Mud is from the dude who made take shelter so it should be pretty damn good

He was also awesome in magic mike and his small appearances in eastbound and down and tropic thunder were hilarious

DILLON_predator.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom