• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd |OT| I'll Miku-Miku GAF (For Reals)

At least patty cake has a pattern.

Rock Paper Scissors can take a while to finish.

Oh wow, I didn't know there was a Rock Paper Scissors minigame. I only played patty cake a couple times, mostly with Len. He seems to like that game alot.

I still find the song they sing annoying. It's like the old theme song to Barney the dinosaur.

Oh wow, I didn't know there was a Rock Paper Scissors minigame. I only played patty cake a couple times, mostly with Len. He seems to like that game alot.

I still find the song they sing annoying. It's like the old theme song to Barney the dinosaur.
Yeah there's a rock-paper-scissors game, patty cake is supposably rare but I get it a lot.
The song does seem childish, the last synchro is ridiculously hard. :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oh god, Hello, Worker is going to kill me. ;_; This song is ridiculous.

B7lp-A5CAAATLXt.jpg

EDIT: Never mind! :D (Painfully close to a Great, though ;_;)

B7ltZ8OCMAEBsW3.jpg

If you play the patty cake song with Luka, you get to hear Yankee Doo Doo.

Played with her the other day, yet I still heard the same song. It almost sounds the same whether you play with Len or Luka (or anyone else for that matter).

Still haven't gotten the Rock Paper Scissors minigame, and Luka is already Level 3 affinity.

meijiko

Played with her the other day, yet I still heard the same song. It almost sounds the same whether you play with Len or Luka (or anyone else for that matter).

Still haven't gotten the Rock Paper Scissors minigame, and Luka is already Level 3 affinity.

Well yeah it's the same tune as the others' songs, but if you listen closely you'll hear she tries to sing it in English. Which is "Yankee Doo Doo".

http://youtu.be/N0vebVlNhzM?t=5m33s

Yasumi

Banned
New DLC is showing up if you search on the Vita store.

School Club Girl Costume for Neru- $1.99
Shiny Costume for Miku- $1.99
Type 2020 Costume for Miku- $1.99
Nostalgia Costume for Meiko- $1.99
Summer Memories (Green) UI Skin- Free
Miku (Black Ivy) UI Skin- Free
Miku & Luka in a Box UI Skin- Free

Skrams

Yeah there's a rock-paper-scissors game, patty cake is supposably rare but I get it a lot.
The song does seem childish, the last synchro is ridiculously hard. :(

It's been a little while since I've played it, but I feel like I remember being able to just swipe up constantly for the last song set and pass the minimum requirement. It's chaotic and dumb, but it works. No idea if it's different on PS3 versus Vita though.

Still plan to Platinum this game despite not having played it since around it's release. I think I completed Normal and Hard either on Day One or the week of release. Probably just need to Diva Room it up, grind diva points to buy things, and do challenges. I doubt I'll ever complete all the songs on Expert. I haven't done it in regular f either. I remember being close, but still had more than a few songs left. The hardest thing is having to relearn using the dpad and buttons simultaneously for the faster segments. I've usually just said fuck it then tensed up my arm so I could go into rapid fire mode on the buttons.

Also Luka is best girl. This game made me go from not caring about her at all in regular f to her being the best with songs like Hello, Worker and Luka Luka Night Fever.

Sekiranun Graffiti and Ai Kotoba are out as well. Also all the extra characters modules and a $6 pack for all of them.

If you're buying anything this week you should probably wait for the 10% off coupon code this weekend, though.

antibolo

Banned
I still wonder if I'm going to save money in the long run by not buying the module pass...

I want at least the song-specific modules, and a few others that strike my fancy.

I guess as long as I end up buying less than 35 modules I'll be OK.

ChrisD

I'm very, very happy about this one!

B71KRgrIUAA-ScS.jpg

To think that a month ago I was struggling to get an Excellent.

This is my new Odds and Ends. Less than five Safes every time. Could drop it to three, but those two Triangles in the first Technical Zone always trip me up.

Andrefpvs

This is my new Odds and Ends. Less than five Safes every time. Could drop it to three, but those two Triangles in the first Technical Zone always trip me up.

Something that helped me Perfect this song was, surprisingly, to stop dual-wielding the notes. I found that even though the notes came in at a speed that would normally be slightly above my "single hand" limit, they weren't fast enough that I couldn't handle them with my right hand only.

For some reason, using both hands was causing me to get Safes in the first Technical Zone. I still recommend using both hands on pretty much every other song, naturally.

antibolo

Banned
How do you guys achieve perfects? Do you restart the song as soon as you miss a note? At what point do you give up and move on to another song?

I have played PDF since the Japanese Vita launch and up until recently I have always played casually, playing a song, and then immediately going to another, not caring about getting perfects. Sometimes I restarted a song I really liked, but whenever I got an Excellent I considered it "good enough" and moved on. I accidentally got a few Normal perfects but nothing above that save for only two songs (Cat Food and World Is Mine, both on Hard).

Recently I've decided to go and try to perfect songs, starting with Hard in the first game, but after only one night I had to stop out of sheer frustration. I did a bunch of them, but I was no longer having fun playing the game. What was once a game I played to relax became a game of complete and utter rage. I haven't touched the game since, and in fact just thinking about it is making me feel sick.

Anybody here had similar experiences at some point?

Yuuichi

How do you guys achieve perfects? Do you restart the song as soon as you miss a note? At what point do you give up and move on to another song?

I have played PDF since the Japanese Vita launch and up until recently I have always played casually, playing a song, and then immediately going to another, not caring about getting perfects. Sometimes I restarted a song I really liked, but whenever I got an Excellent I considered it "good enough" and moved on. I accidentally got a few Normal perfects but nothing above that save for only two songs (Cat Food and World Is Mine, both on Hard).

Recently I've decided to go and try to perfect songs, starting with Hard in the first game, but after only one night I had to stop out of sheer frustration. I did a bunch of them, but I was no longer having fun playing the game. What was once a game I played to relax became a game of complete and utter rage. I haven't touched the game since, and in fact just thinking about it is making me feel sick.

Anybody here had similar experiences at some point?

A lot of people who play other rhythm games (myself included) tend to consider it something generally not worth putting a ton of time and effort into for several reasons. By far the biggest complaint I've heard is song length, which is why a lot of the really really good players I know don't bother, as one mistakes means much longer retry times compared to something like IIDX.

Same reason a lot of us don't like OSU, a HORRID scoring system and songs that go on and on.

I've done Extreme Perfects on... I think about 1/3 of the songs in both F and F 2nd. None so challenging that they'd require a bunch of retries, it was mostly a "well I'm really close so I might as well" sort of thing. I generally like going for perfect in rhythm games for kicks (either as a mark of completion for easier songs or for the tension on a tricky song), but the length of Project Diva songs is a pretty big turnoff. Still, I consider going for FCs a different kind of enjoyment.

Same reason a lot of us don't like OSU, a HORRID scoring system and songs that go on and on.

lol, going for perfect S rank in Sekai wa Sore o Ai to Yobundaze in Ouendan 2 was... trying, to say the least. Ouendan scoring also twisted my perception of rhythm game scoring for a good while.

Got some Perfects here and there on Extreme on both F and F 2nd. I don't bother really trying for them though.

Like already mentioned, song length deters me from trying multiple times.

By far the biggest complaint I've heard is song length, which is why a lot of the really really good players I know don't bother, as one mistakes means much longer retry times compared to something like IIDX.

Personally, I am not the kind of player who can tolerate retrying songs of any length multiple times. I don't play the same song multiple times in succession, as a policy.

For games like this, eventually I will get to a perfect after playing a song enough times this way, and it's still enjoyable. For the more hardcore games with shorter songs that you're "supposed" to replay repeatedly... I don't plan to perfect those games at all since it's not an experience I can get into.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Any tips for training my brain/hands to play double-handed? I was never good at it in the first game, and I'm not good at it here either. :lol

pariah164

Any tips for training my brain/hands to play double-handed? I was never good at it in the first game, and I'm not good at it here either. :lol
Start on Easy. Do it all using the dpad a few times, then start alternating. This is how I eventually got around to doing alternating hands on Hard/Extreme.

Sorry if any of the above was unclear; I am a fail at giving help.

Erase or Zero on Extreme helped me.
Just play normally but when there are sets of 3 notes use the d-pad for the 2nd note.

Edit: Listen to pariah instead.

hamchan

Start on Easy. Do it all using the dpad a few times, then start alternating. This is how I eventually got around to doing alternating hands on Hard/Extreme.

Don't worry, t's good advice. That's how I did it. Play purely on your non-dominant hand for a day or two then when you actually try alternating it's a lot easier.

ChrisD

Something that helped me Perfect this song was, surprisingly, to stop dual-wielding the notes. I found that even though the notes came in at a speed that would normally be slightly above my "single hand" limit, they weren't fast enough that I couldn't handle them with my right hand only.

For some reason, using both hands was causing me to get Safes in the first Technical Zone. I still recommend using both hands on pretty much every other song, naturally.

Hmm, I actually do better on Odds and Ends with one hand (though I did dual for the perfect). Never thought to do the same with Romeo and Cinderella. I just feel like I'm going to forget how to dual if the switch-over is too long.

I jump back-and-forth. My first Extreme Perfect was Black Rock Shooter -- once a favorite -- now barely listened to or played. And all because I made that the only song I played until I got Perfect. HORRIBLE mistake. It wasn't even a good feeling once I got it. It actually only ("only") took me twenty tries over the span of a week, but that was enough to burn me out on the song AND the whole game for a few months.

When I came back I just played the songs I enjoyed and, like someone above me said, eventually it gets to a case of, "We'll I'm close so may as well try." From that point I'll typically put the song in my play sessions, but I don't make it a forced thing. If I'm up for trying a perfect (or just want to play it) then it's added. If not, there's no harm in leaving it off.

Odds and Ends was tripping me up for a long time. I'd get all but one or two notes which would be a SAFE. But because I didn't force anything, it was still fun to try. Took fifty one attempts over the span of six months, but it's still the Perfect that brings me the most joy, and remains my favorite song.

It's all about sticking at it rather than burning out. For all intents and purposes, an Excellent is just as good. It's just an extra bonus to strive for if one feels inclined to do so.

Edit: what the friiiick at that rapid note picture. I still get defeated by the circle of doom in World's End Dancehall!

antibolo

Banned
Wait so you guys pull Extreme perfects by just playing casually, trying the song only once or twice per play session??

I can't even do that at Hard difficulty. Those perfects I pulled off came from hard boring repetitive work. And I assumed that's what everybody did, ESPECIALLY at Extreme difficulty.

I feel even worse now.

Yuuichi

Listen to pariah164, more or less. If you're decent start on normal but only play with your left hand for all but doubles, play a few songs a day rather than a lot in a row.

Edit:
Wait so you guys pull Extreme perfects by just playing casually, trying the song only once or twice per play session??
I can't even do that at Hard difficulty. Those perfects I pulled off came from hard boring repetitive work. And I assumed that's what everybody did, ESPECIALLY at Extreme difficulty.
I feel even worse now.
I mean, look at it this way. I've gotten a few perfects (and some very close calls) myself playing "casually", but I'm also an 8th Dan IIDX player (I can play songs that look a bit like this) and can usually start around the upper middle difficulty range of any other rhythm game I want.

I've been playing rhythm games for almost a decade now. Don't beat yourself up over this.

I feel even worse now.

Don't feel bad. I have been playing Miku games for a while now and still have trouble passing Hard difficulties with the easiest songs.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

This is really great advice, actually. Thanks, I'll do this!

ChrisD

Edit:

I mean, look at it this way. I've gotten a few perfects (and some very close calls) myself playing "casually", but I'm also an 8th Dan IIDX player (I can play songs that look a bit like this) and can usually start around the upper middle difficulty range of any other rhythm game I want.

I've been playing rhythm games for almost a decade now. Don't beat yourself up over this.

O_O

See, that's why I always tell myself that my best is MY best. But in the large picture? Hah! There really is no use in feeling down because someone can play a game on a harder difficulty. There will always be someone above oneself. Even number one changes constantly on leaderboards, right?

It's about doing your best, and improving on your best. Not reaching others' best. If you do happen to match or exceed that of someone else's, it was simply a matter of beating your own. Not theirs.

Or that's the way I see things haha.

Andrefpvs

When I came back I just played the songs I enjoyed and, like someone above me said, eventually it gets to a case of, "We'll I'm close so may as well try." From that point I'll typically put the song in my play sessions, but I don't make it a forced thing. If I'm up for trying a perfect (or just want to play it) then it's added. If not, there's no harm in leaving it off.

It's all about sticking at it rather than burning out. For all intents and purposes, an Excellent is just as good. It's just an extra bonus to strive for if one feels inclined to do so.

Yep, this is me as well. I actually come close to Perfect most times I play a song that's 8 stars or less, but if I don't get one the first or second times I play the song in a session, I don't force it. I treat this game just as I treat my music -- would I keep listening to the same track over and over again on repeat? Nope, it'd just burn me out on the song. It's much more satisfying to have another song you enjoy on your menu that you can jump right into.

Personally I think this is also a good way to play since it allows you to develop different skills. For example, Kagerou Daze and Miracle Paint throw different challenges at you.

I feel even worse now.

It's something that comes naturally if you keep playing, even (especially?) if you alternate between lots of songs. The skills you acquire eventually become transversal, and you start finding that as long as you get a sense for that song's rhythm, you can clear it with no problems, regardless of the difficulty. Eventually, you even find yourself not only clearing the song, but also getting some pretty good scores on it!

I'm by no means an expert, though. I suspect that an 8.5 star Perfect on Extreme may be the current limit of my skill. But this is something that eventually came naturally just by playing the game whenever I wanted to, not because I was striving for Perfects.

See, that's why I always tell myself that my best is MY best. But in the large picture? Hah! There really is no use in feeling down because someone can play a game on a harder difficulty. There will always be someone above oneself. Even number one changes constantly on leaderboards, right?

It's about doing your best, and improving on your best. Not reaching others' best. If you do happen to match or exceed that of someone else's, it was simply a matter of beating your own. Not theirs.

Or that's the way I see things haha.

Exactly! I always get so psyched when I beat one of my personal records. It means I'm improving, and that's a great feeling.

antibolo

Banned
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I'll admit, what made me self-conscious about my skills was reading this:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144895036&postcount=3701

It just seemed utterly impossible to me that a person could achieve so much after being completely new to the game for only two weeks, it made me feel like shit. I tried reproducing it but it only made me feel shittier because I couldn't do it without being overcome with frustration, despite having more than a year of experience under my belt.

Anyway, I need a break from this. I'll come back after I cool down, as it's starting to erode my mental health.

This... would not be a good time for a score challenge then? orz

Results like that I would not find out of the ordinary for people who come from a well rounded music game background. The genre is such that skills carry over between games fairly quickly. Someone just jumping in to music games would definitely have a much harder time of things.

Been playing IIDX for some 12 years and I'm only a 5th dan :(

Yuuichi

This... would not be a good time for a score challenge then? orz

Been playing IIDX for some 12 years and I'm only a 5th dan :(

Probably to the relief of some people, I'll probably be sitting the challenge out because I decided to leave my Vita at home and therefore don't have F2nd right now.

As for the spoiler
I'm not really sure what part of the play is holding you back, but you might not be playing things that are hard enough. You need to constantly push yourself if you want to have any reasonable shot at improving.
I might also be a bad comparison because I played LR2 an hour or two a day for at least a year, even if it was on a keyboard because I didn't have much else to do. I know this is kind of dumb, but I'm actually 8th dan on both a keyboard and controller as of Spada.

As much as I play these games for the music, I wish the DLC songs were focused more on challenge. Getting excellent on first try of Aikotoba doesn't speak to that.

Nyoro SF

I'm not shocked at all by the skill levels present here because I've seen enough DDR and Beatmania maniacs in my life to know that the potential for human reaction in rhythm games is pretty much limitless.

I'm content with my own skills. I can't pass Two-Faced Lovers, Intense Voice and 2D Dream Fever on Extreme though (and I never use help items).

If there's one thing I wish these games had more than anything, it's a Training Mode like the one in Guitar Hero. In that game you can visit particular sections of songs and slow them down to understand the sequencing more. That would be a much bigger help than any Help Item.

As much as I play these games for the music, I wish the DLC songs were focused more on challenge. Getting excellent on first try of Aikotoba doesn't speak to that.

Personally I don't see how you could make those songs with harder sequences other than mixing up symbols even more. And the songs that mix in different colored arrows among regular beats can go fuck off into space, etc.

ChrisD

If there's one thing I wish these games had more than anything, it's a Training Mode like the one in Guitar Hero. In that game you can visit particular sections of songs and slow them down to understand the sequencing more. That would be a much bigger help than any Help Item.

Yeeeees. It's so easy to get flustered and miss everything whenever the obligatory difficult string is thrown at you. World's End Dancehall, for example. A lot of fast notes, but it's manageable. Then some easy arrows, followed by CIRCLE OF DEATH TO THROW YOU OFF. If it was possible to jump right to the arrows it would help a lot.

Top Bottom