• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avinexus

I wish I could like your post Minsc.

I'm trying to think of a scenario where this card would be useful.

Edit: I counted and I'm still missing 79 cards.

Maybe good to add this to show how much I played:

cIK2b59l.jpg

Not getting legendaries is karma for having Hunter as your most played.

CoolOff

Got Buzzard + UTH + coin + UTH on turn 5 in Arena against my 2 minions...

UTH really needs a bump up to 3 mana asap. It's just so fucking dumb, why did they go from 4 -> 2 instead of doing it gradually to test it out?

Dawg

My enemy was preparing the ultimate creature. He gave it all his buffs and special cards. It was powerful enough to bring my entire health bar to zero. He must have been proud at his achievement.

I let Jaina say "I'm sorry" before I turned his godly creature into a sheep. I then blasted it away with Jaina's spell. After that, I pretty much dominated the match with my creatures on the field.

Polymorph makes me feel bad :p

ZZMitch

So I was playing some fun matches with a friend using my random priest deck (my cheap version of Randuin Wrynn). After he left I went into ranked and forgot to switch my deck.

This happened:
ScreenShot2014-04-28at60810PM_zpsb644d7a8.png

My enemy was preparing the ultimate creature. He gave it all his buffs and special cards. It was powerful enough to bring my entire health bar to zero. He must have been proud at his achievement.

I let Jaina say "I'm sorry" before I turned his godly creature into a sheep. I then blasted it away with Jaina's spell. After that, I pretty much dominated the match with my creatures on the field.

It serves him right for putting all of his eggs in one basket. That's just asking for it. Any hard removal or form of silence will completely kill a plan like that. It's the same reason I wouldn't use an Inner Fire deck on my Priest.

Personally I don't even pick more than 1 flamestrike, unless they really happen to be the best pick twice or more. People are really good at playing around flamestrike, although you can pressure them into it.

Broseybrose

In Arena, what's a good number of Flamestrikes to draft? I had the chance to get 5 of them.

At least 2. But theres nothing wrong with taking 3 (if they let you choose it a 3rd time im not sure). All about what your deck needs. Every good mage deck needs a couple flamestrikes right?

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Got Buzzard + UTH + coin + UTH on turn 5 in Arena against my 2 minions...

UTH really needs a bump up to 3 mana asap. It's just so fucking dumb, why did they go from 4 -> 2 instead of doing it gradually to test it out?
I don't think bumping the cost by 1 mana will make much difference at all. The problem with UTH is that it has synergy with pretty much everything and it cannot be countered by anything other than a Mage secret.

Mana / Cards = Effect
2 / Hunter's Mark + Unleash the Hounds = Kill any one minion + X amount of 1/1 charge minions.
3 / Unleash the Hounds + Timber Wolf = One 1/1 minion + X amount of 2/1 charge minions.
4 / Unleash the Hounds + Scavenging Hyena = X fully direct-able damage + a 2/2 minion with a X x 2/1 buff + Y amount of 1/1 charge minions.
4 / Scavenging Buzzard + Unleash the Hounds = One 2/1 minion with card-draw effect + X amount of instant card draw + X amount of 1/1 charge minions.
5 / Unleash the Hounds + Kill Command = 5 damage + X amount of 1/1 charge minions.
6 / Leeroy Jenkins + Unleash the Hounds = One 6/2 charge minion + X amount of 1/1 charge minions (minimum of two).
6 / Unleash the Hounds + Houndmaster = One 4/3 minion + One 3/3 charge minion with taunt + X amount of 1/1 charge minions.

+ numerous other nightmarish combinations of the above cards. (2x TW + UTH + LJ = 8 mana for a 6/2 charge minion + a minimum of two 3/1 charge minions + two 2/1 minions)

Outside of that it also has synergy with numerous neutral cards, like Cult Leader, Flesh-eating Ghoul, Raid Leader, Dire Wolf Alpha, etc.

Some of this is fine of course, but with Hunter also having stuff like Tracking (allows them to draw a specific card), Deadly Shot (play only one minion to get around UTH = lolno), Explosive Shot (2+5+2 damage), Double Shot (3+3 damage), Explosive Trap (2 AOE damage), Freezing Trap (sends your attacking minion back to your hand), Snipe (4 damage to minion when played), Snake Trap (summon 3 1/1 snakes (beasts) when enemy attacks) etc., UTH is just too much.

Remove the charge from the Hounds or change them so they're no longer beasts. Alternatively, make it a missile-like card (Avenging Wrath / Arcane Missiles) that, instead of summoning 1/1 charge minions, just does X damage to random enemy minions, X being the amount of enemy minions on the board (with the bite animation instead of the missile animations).

There's a lot of stuff Blizzard can do. This card being nerfed would make the game a lot more varied / interesting to me. Maybe I could one day face Hunter decks that are not centered around the existence of UTH.

Outside of a card like "when your opponent draws a card deal 2 damage", I don't see how they can balance a card draw machine like buzzard/uth.

Maybe if they buff other card draw mechanics to be as strong... still, that just creates a lot of power creep.

Hunters right now, imo, are cycle as fast as warriors, create board presence like a midrange druid (highmane instead of cairne, houndmaster instead of DOA, UTH instead of the violet teacher and other token cards), strong removal (hunter's mark instead of execute) and a powerful 4 mana budget minion on turn 3 (animal companion) with a hero power that rivals pyroblast over time.

I tried out the sunshine/lifecoach deck today and I was stomping out legendary players with ease. Even made a mistake and lost a few points of damage but it didn't matter, they were down to like 2 cards and I had like 4-5 with almost full hp. l o l OP as heck imo

FStop7

Banned

Yeah that's a pretty dumb move unless you know your opponent's burned up their silence/morph cards.

That said you can use it as a strategy to try and force their hand and get them to spend their morphs/silences stopping your super buffed minion so you can drop your real finishers on them, though. But that's a slow and risky strategy.

Minsc

Gold Member
Outside of a card like "when your opponent draws a card deal 2 damage", I don't see how they can balance a card draw machine like buzzard/uth.

Maybe if they buff other card draw mechanics to be as strong... still, that just creates a lot of power creep.

Hunters right now, imo, are cycle as fast as warriors, create board presence like a midrange druid (highmane instead of cairne, houndmaster instead of DOA, UTH instead of the violet teacher and other token cards), strong removal (hunter's mark instead of execute) and a powerful 4 mana budget minion on turn 3 (animal companion) with a hero power that rivals pyroblast over time.

I tried out the sunshine/lifecoach deck today and I was stomping out legendary players with ease. Even made a mistake and lost a few points of damage but it didn't matter, they were down to like 2 cards and I had like 4-5 with almost full hp. l o l OP as heck imo

Thematically, I've seen it suggested a starving buzzard would be better suited to trigger a draw on a beast's death, would weaken the combo somewhat I think, like the hyena or whatever it is that gets +2/+1. Doubt it'd happen though.

It'd make it so they can't UTH/buzzard to the face, since they'd get no draw unless they were trading creatures. And they'd have to trade 1/1s to draw into a wolf, lessening the combo, since they can't just draw 4 or 5 immediately, get the wolf and have 5 2/1s, they'd have to lose 3 of their 1/1s to get to drawing the wolf, and only have 2 1/1s leftover then.

Thematically, I've seen it suggested a starving buzzard would be better suited to trigger a draw on a beast's death, would weaken the combo somewhat I think, like the hyena or whatever it is that gets +2/+1. Doubt it'd happen though.

It'd make it so they can't UTH/buzzard to the face, since they'd get no draw unless they were trading creatures. And they'd have to trade 1/1s to draw into a wolf, lessening the combo, since they can't just draw 4 or 5 immediately, get the wolf and have 5 2/1s, they'd have to lose 3 of their 1/1s to get to drawing the wolf, and only have 2 1/1s leftover then.

They definitely can nerf the card. I meant to say I don't see how they could balance out the card by adding additional cards. People are proposing balance by adding new cards, and I just don't see how they will do that.

Minsc

Gold Member
They definitely can nerf the card. I meant to say I don't see how they could balance out the card by adding additional cards. People are proposing balance by adding new cards, and I just don't see how they will do that.

Well, if they introduce artifacts or enchantments... that is cards that provide effects that cannot be targeted by spells or creatures. A simple artifact that prevents both players from drawing additional cards would be an effective tool against it.

soldat7

I don't think bumping the cost by 1 mana will make much difference at all. The problem with UTH is that it has synergy with pretty much everything and it cannot be countered by anything other than a Mage secret.

Mana / Cards = Effect
2 / Hunter's Mark + Unleash the Hounds = Kill any one minion + X amount of 1/1 charge minions.
3 / Unleash the Hounds + Timber Wolf = One 1/1 minion + X amount of 2/1 charge minions.
4 / Unleash the Hounds + Scavenging Hyena = X fully direct-able damage + a 2/2 minion with a X x 2/1 buff + Y amount of 1/1 charge minions.
4 / Scavenging Buzzard + Unleash the Hounds = One 2/1 minion with card-draw effect + X amount of instant card draw + X amount of 1/1 charge minions.
5 / Unleash the Hounds + Kill Command = 5 damage + X amount of 1/1 charge minions.
6 / Leeroy Jenkins + Unleash the Hounds = One 6/2 charge minion + X amount of 1/1 charge minions (minimum of two).
6 / Unleash the Hounds + Houndmaster = One 4/3 minion + One 3/3 charge minion with taunt + X amount of 1/1 charge minions.

+ numerous other nightmarish combinations of the above cards. (2x TW + UTH + LJ = 8 mana for a 6/2 charge minion + a minimum of two 3/1 charge minions + two 2/1 minions)

Outside of that it also has synergy with numerous neutral cards, like Cult Leader, Flesh-eating Ghoul, Raid Leader, Dire Wolf Alpha, etc.

Some of this is fine of course, but with Hunter also having stuff like Tracking (allows them to draw a specific card), Deadly Shot (play only one minion to get around UTH = lolno), Explosive Shot (2+5+2 damage), Double Shot (3+3 damage), Explosive Trap (2 AOE damage), Freezing Trap (sends your attacking minion back to your hand), Snipe (4 damage to minion when played), Snake Trap (summon 3 1/1 snakes (beasts) when enemy attacks) etc., UTH is just too much.

Remove the charge from the Hounds or change them so they're no longer beasts. Alternatively, make it a missile-like card (Avenging Wrath / Arcane Missiles) that, instead of summoning 1/1 charge minions, just does X damage to random enemy minions, X being the amount of enemy minions on the board (with the bite animation instead of the missile animations).

There's a lot of stuff Blizzard can do. This card being nerfed would make the game a lot more varied / interesting to me. Maybe I could one day face Hunter decks that are not centered around the existence of UTH.

Yeah, something has to be done. It's way overpowered. In any other CCG it would become a banned card almost immediately. Fortunately, Blizzard can tweak it without the annoyance of errata. The card needs to cost more (waaay more) and maybe even do damage to your hero (equal to the number of hounds summoned...something...anything!)

I've had people concede against me when they see I'm playing Hunter (and I don't even have UTH yet lol.)

Emarv

I think Unleash the Hounds has had one of the most interesting OP->Nerf->OP rollercoasters of any Hearthstone card. It's crazy how they can't seem to get that one right.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In any other CCG it would become a banned card almost immediately.

lolno

Complaining about UTH is fine and all, but for the love of god stop throwing out hyperbolic lines like this when it's clear maybe a handful of people in this thread have experience with competitive level card games.

Emarv

I remember in Innistrad when everyone was yelling for Wizards to ban Snapcaster Mage. That one seemed to go on forever.

New Hearthstone fans would be livid if something like that existed, i feel.

Card Boy

Banned
I think Unleash the Hounds has had one of the most interesting OP->Nerf->OP rollercoasters of any Hearthstone card. It's crazy how they can't seem to get that one right.

My solution

SPWbcDAD.png

This is a middle ground from the 4 mana it used to cost to the 2 it does now and making it rare means less people have it.

soldat7

Saw my first Fireside card backs today. Wish I could get that.

To be honest, it's cooler when your opponent has it because you can see it.

On an unrelated note, somebody stop me from spending $49.99 on this game. I have no patience!

lolno

Complaining about UTH is fine and all, but for the love of god stop throwing out hyperbolic lines like this when it's clear maybe a handful of people in this thread have experience with competitive level card games.

Given the limited card pool? Yeah, UTH would be banned or errata'd pretty quickly in other CCGs. No need to get testy.

rcl66

Anyone having lag or disconnect issues tonight and last night? On iPad it's been really bad the past 2 nights. Just played a game and couldnt end my turn the button click for end turn wouldn't register. Long delay after summoning a totem. Wasn't like this before last night.

Zing

Banned
So I played a game on my sister's iPad to get my iPack yesterday. Touch controls felt a little wonky. I ended up accidentally fire elementaling myself in the face in a match against somebody named FlirtyFairy. Totally embarrassing.
Is it an iPad 2 or something? I have an iPad 4, and it's totally smooth.

Anyone having lag or disconnect issues tonight and last night? On iPad it's been really bad the past 2 nights. Just played a game and couldnt end my turn the button click for end turn wouldn't register. Long delay after summoning a totem. Wasn't like this before last night.
Nope. On iPad here and it's totally fine last night and tonight. I just played my three games for the gold reward.

soldat7

Same here. Some turns would go on for several minutes without anything happening.

BTW, I loathe holding down my finger on a card to view it. Very bad design for the iPad (but great for PC, obviously). My hand is in the way half the time. I'd much rather have a double tap mechanic like other iOS card games.

Zing

Banned
I was on the verge of losing as a rogue against a warrior. I had no minions and he had about 18 damage worth of minions ready to attack. He had four health. He is hammering on the "I will crush you" emote. I top deck the card that gives +2 weapon attack, matching one already in my hand. I play both and directly attack him for the win. I envisioned him punching his keyboard.

Recently (this last week or so), I've discovered the beauty of Casual play.

Here's why it's better than ranked:

-Greater variety in opponents faced-No more hunter, hunter, hunter, control warrior, hunter, zoolock, zoolock, etc.....You face a variety of skills, and different decks....No more do anything, no matter how cheap and op'ed to win..

-If you're tired of someone's bs, just concede..It doesn't matter---This is great...First couple of plays I see coming from a murloc aggro warlock, concede time..It's not worth the hassle...If I don't want to play a hunter...If I get one..Just concede...Basically you play who you want, under your terms...

-Still get the daily cash....The above benefits, plus it counts for your dailies..What's not to like??

-There's no reason to play ranked....Basically if you're rank 1 or rank 20, there's no difference...Unless you're trying to push for legendary, what's the point in ranked? There is none..Get the card back at 20 and play casual....Less stress, more variety, and more fun.

-Play experimental fun stuff-I created a very fun priest deck, with lots of fun cards like Lorewalker Cho, Hogger, faceless, mind control, Mindgames, Injured blademen, mana addicts...Wanna piss off a rogue??? Or a lot of other decks?...Coin turn one into a faerie dragon...lol...I've gotten some good laughs out of this move more than once....Watch the inevitable pause of your opponent that happens when you play Cho on coined turn one...hmmmm....What to do? What to do?..lol.. Here it is: http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/48083-fun-troll-deck

So the moral of the story is: Don't bother with ranked, unless you're going for legendary..Avoid the BS with casual and have more fun....Never have to play another hunter unless you want to.

Haly

Given the limited card pool? Yeah, UTH would be banned or errata'd pretty quickly in other CCGs. No need to get testy.

The last "instant ban" in MtG I'm familiar with is Skullclamp, which was a cheap, colorless draw engine/sacrifice outlet.

Skullclamp was banned in Standard, frankly, because it was everywhere. Every competitive deck either had four in the main deck, had four in the sideboard, or was built to try and defend against it. And there were a lot more successful decks in the first two categories than in the third. Such representation is completely unhealthy for the format. Your deck has to either have Skullclamps, or have Skullclamp in its crosshairs—a definitive case of a card “warping the metagame.” Look, for example, at the Top 8 decks from Ohio Valley Regionals. Or at those from the more recent German Nationals. Combined, those 16 decks contained 58 out of a possible 64 Skullclamps. Never in my memory have I ever seen a card show up in those numbers.

Compare that to UTH which is:

1) Conditional
2) Reliant on combo pieces
3) Countered by Taunt
4) Limited to Hunters

It's not even the same ballpark. Skullclamp was universally good, there was literally not be a Mirrodin Standard-legal deck that couldn't benefit from it, and any deck that didn't use it was been muscled out by it. This is what a format warper is and deserves snap bans.

UTH, by its nature as a Hunter card, enables only Hunter decks. Furthermore, the most obvious counter to burn decks (healing) is extremely weak. You have Priests and Paladins, both on the low end of the Control spectrum. Burn Mage is another natural Hunter counter (remember Iceblock/Pyroblast?) that is unplayable because it's just too weak overall. So you have Hunter's natural enemies muscled out by better Control shells, who are themselves unfavorably positioned (but only slightly) against Hunters. Well, what do you expect?

Compounding to the problem is Hunter's accessibility (cheap, easy to build) and Control's inaccessibility (needs a bunch of Legendaries). Not only are Hunter hard-counters poorly positioned, but Hunter soft-counters are too expensive for most players. It's natural that Hunters would be popular on the ladder.

But no. "Blizzard remove UTH plz." "It would be banned in other card games."

Please, apply a little nuance to your thinking and refrain from turning this thread into another Blizzard Hearthstone board.

johnsmith

remember me
Just played a milling rogue. I beat him with my midrange hunter, but I didn't know WTF was going one. It's so weird to play against. He was rank 4, so it must be working reasonably well. Also lol at seeing kidnapper played for the first time.

Sumidor

Got damn the iPad version. Got disconnected twice in my arena run and in both games I had them in control. UGHghghgsdlkjffksljAsjdlakfdjsakf

HOLY CRAP this game is great! Just got it on ipad yesterday and I'm liking it a lot. I haven't dropped any cash on the game yet, but I do believe in rewarding game makers if they make great FtP games, so I'll probably drop $10 once I learn more of the classes.

I'm going to have a hard time picking up the yearly MtG game this year.

zoukka

Compare that to UTH which is:

1) Conditional
2) Reliant on combo pieces
3) Countered by Taunt
4) Limited to Hunters

UTH is definitely not countered by taunts. They can be sweeped with hunters mark and in the end the hunter doesn't really care even if he has to bash six hounds to a taunter. The most important thing was the card draw and maybe growing your hyena.

UTH is reliant on a few other cards if you want maximal loltastic effect from it, but it can be effective without buzzard too. With buzzard you draw the missing hunters marks or timber wolves very often thanks to the 30 card decks and the best card in HS; tracking :)

johnsmith

remember me
Got damn the iPad version. Got disconnected twice in my arena run and in both games I had them in control. UGHghghgsdlkjffksljAsjdlakfdjsakf

Yeah, i wouldn't use the ipad version for anything but casual games for quests. I played for 5 mins and it crashed twice when i was trying to get my ipack.

Emarv

Seeing Legendary card backs in casual gives me a weird sense of hesitation in the beginning but then joy when I beat them.

Card Boy

Banned
i don't get why they don't give away booster packs for people buying off the Blizzard Hearthstone store? Its a rip they are charging almost $25 for shirt. It literally costs them nothing to include a booster or two.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
Recently (this last week or so), I've discovered the beauty of Casual play.

Here's why it's better than ranked:

-Greater variety in opponents faced-No more hunter, hunter, hunter, control warrior, hunter, zoolock, zoolock, etc.....You face a variety of skills, and different decks....No more do anything, no matter how cheap and op'ed to win..

-If you're tired of someone's bs, just concede..It doesn't matter---This is great...First couple of plays I see coming from a murloc aggro warlock, concede time..It's not worth the hassle...If I don't want to play a hunter...If I get one..Just concede...Basically you play who you want, under your terms...

-Still get the daily cash....The above benefits, plus it counts for your dailies..What's not to like??

-There's no reason to play ranked....Basically if you're rank 1 or rank 20, there's no difference...Unless you're trying to push for legendary, what's the point in ranked? There is none..Get the card back at 20 and play casual....Less stress, more variety, and more fun.

-Play experimental fun stuff-I created a very fun priest deck, with lots of fun cards like Lorewalker Cho, Hogger, faceless, mind control, Mindgames, Injured blademen, mana addicts...Wanna piss off a rogue??? Or a lot of other decks?...Coin turn one into a faerie dragon...lol...I've gotten some good laughs out of this move more than once....Watch the inevitable pause of your opponent that happens when you play Cho on coined turn one...hmmmm....What to do? What to do?..lol..

So the moral of the story is: Don't bother with ranked, unless you're going for legendary..Avoid the BS with casual and have more fun....Never have to play another hunter unless you want to.

The only reason I play ranked is to make progress toward the golden heroes. They're pretty cool. Otherwise I'd probably not bother. The legend card back would be nice but I doubt I'll ever get there.

Is it an iPad 2 or something? I have an iPad 4, and it's totally smooth.

I don't know which iPad it was. I've never used one before so I don't know the different models. I usually just play on my Surface Pro and it runs really well there. My sister isn't very tech savvy so she didn't know either. (She got it from her school.) Performance was pretty rough. I don't know if it was the performance, or the design of the touch controls, but I felt a little sloppy playing on it. Then again, when I first started using the stylus with the Surface it took a little getting used to there as well. I fumbled around with that at first too.

Mana / Cards = Effect

I like the idea of making it a missile-like card. I know they said they weren't going to mess too much with the card balance after they're officially released, but I wish they'd at least tinker with the class cards that people can't complain that they've spent dust crafting. I just wish that the class cards were more balanced so there was a larger variety of viable competitive decks. Seeing the same decks over and over is getting really stale.

zoukka

i don't get why they don't give away booster packs for people buying off the Blizzard Hearthstone store? Its a rip they are charging almost $25 for shirt. It literally costs them nothing to include a booster or two.

You'll buy the overpriced shirt anyway so why bother :)

Neki

Making buzzard trigger off beast deaths would somewhat alleviate the problem, but it'd probably gut everything else about hunter though. The card draw mechanic is too strong with Unleash, and it's okay with other beasts, so I don't see how you can fix it without gutting the card again.

Haly

Make it so that it only triggers off of Beast cards and not Beast tokens. Just like how Power of the Wild doesn't trigger Snipe, or Mirror Entity.

Honestly, I'd rather see UTH stay as is and every other class buffed but Blizzard is never going to do that so...

To the ground, baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom