• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheContact

Rank 20 is very easy to hit, I'm starting to have problems around rank 13 though, everyone I play against has at least 2 legendaries and I have none

Card Boy

Banned
It needs to get rid of the RNG effect cards like multi-shot and arcane missiles. Especially when they work against stealth, which is "holy shit" levels of dumb.

At least Mad Bomber's RNGtardedness has a chance of backfiring on you.

Fix the RNG of the booster packs aswell lol.

It needs to get rid of the RNG effect cards like multi-shot and arcane missiles. Especially when they work against stealth, which is "holy shit" levels of dumb.

At least Mad Bomber's RNGtardedness has a chance of backfiring on you.

I get the feeling Blizzard likes the RNG. I don't see it ever going away or even being reduced.

So I tries this last night, mostly for the free-ish WoW mount after 3 wins. I went like 5 wins and 10 loses or so. Ive never played a TCG before. Are there any tips or suggestions for some casual gameplay?

This game needs a fuckload more cards, effects and gimmicks so we don't have the same discussions about everything or see the same thing in game all the time.

Playing a number of drafts of MtG , I was shocked to find out that there is only 30 new cards coming out in the next update. I'm sure they get stuff cranking eventually.

*EDIT
I I I
V V V
What they just updated this morning!

iNvid02

oBxcEn2.jpg

inky

Scheduled? Does it still count if you "schedule" it after you take the servers down? I saw no such notice before I started playing.

Card Boy

Banned
Playing a number of drafts of MtG , I was shocked to find out that there is only 30 new cards coming out in the next update. I'm sure they get stuff cranking eventually.

We have to remember

• Each card as graphical effects when they are played
  • Each card as sound effects when they are played
  • Artwork has to be made
  • Golden animated versions need to be made
  • They need to be programmed
  • The need to be beta tested

Having said that Scrolls has similar complexity when they make cards but they release even more than Blizzard.

TheContact

We have to remember

• Artwork has to be made

Having said that Scrolls has similar complexity when they make cards but they release even more than Blizzard.

Agreed. I'd rather new cards be released very slowly. I think it hurts the game to introduce too many cards too fast. 30 cards is a lot.

I can't wait for that nerubian egg. I will definitely replace my amani berserker. I mainly use that card as some measurement of AOE protection, but tbh it isn't enough. Then the egg will also synergize with SI7 agent since I'll be able to get that 4/4 on turn 5 immediately if I want it, although at the cost of 2 damage so it won't be optimal.

BTW they have said problems with auth servers so it isn't abnormal if you cannot log in right now.

Minsc

Gold Member

*EDIT
I I I
V V V
What they just updated this morning!

PVE Adventures != Expansions.

The PVE Adventures, containing ~30 new cards each, will release semi-frequently afaik, figure a handful a year, maybe every other month or something.

Expansions, containing 150-200 new cards each, will release 1-2 times a year afaik. I imagine we won't see the first expansion until Blizzcon in November or whenever it is.

Phreaker

Is this maintainence warning actually happening now? I'm not at home to see it.

I thought they usually use PDT as their stated time zone??? Also, wtf..they just had maintainence earlier today.

Well I know there were reports from Blue that a bug cropped up after maintenance that were causing players not to unlock the legendary cardback.

Yeah no, this is definitely not weekly maintenance. That occurs in the morning. This is the servers having issues. I'm now in a 20 minute queue to just log into battlenet. First time I've ever seen that.

Expansions, containing 150-200 new cards each, will release 1-2 times a year afaik. I imagine we won't see the first expansion until Blizzcon in November or whenever it is.

I wonder what their reasoning is for having a big release of new cards so late rather than a trickle of content in shorter timeframes.

Minsc

Gold Member
I wonder what their reasoning is for having a big release of new cards so late rather than a trickle of content in shorter timeframes.

Well even 200 new cards is not that big once you split it 11 ways and add in a new class. Figure 40 class cards dedicated to the Death Knight class of the 200, the other 9 classes see another ~10-15 class cards each, that brings us up to like 150 right there, so maybe 50 new neutrals left over to take us to 200. So that big expansion is just 10-15 new cards for your class and 50 new neutrals. Probably 1/3 the neutrals aren't going to help you either, so maybe 20-30 cards total are going to be relevant from the 200 card expansion for someone playing mainly one class.

Mik2121

We have to remember

• Artwork has to be made

Yep, with all that much work I can see it taking some time. Specially since they have to test how those cards play with the rest of a deck, their balance, etc.. And yeah, the animation too. And the concept art quality is quite high so...

As a comparison, in the company where I work they also do some smartphone stuff and there's this one card game that has about 40 new cards every month, but those cards don't have any effects nor shit like that, just a flat card with some random stuff (it's not a card game, but one of those Japanese social games where you collect cards).

Emarv

Wish they wouldn't focus on neutral cards so much, there is too many as it is. Everyone's decks is like half neutrals.
I agree with this. I love powerful neutrals but some classes really could use more minions, and I'd like secrets in the classes that dont have them.

Well even 200 new cards is not that big once you split it 11 ways and add in a new class. Figure 40 class cards dedicated to the Death Knight class of the 200, the other 9 classes see another ~10-15 class cards each, that brings us up to like 150 right there, so maybe 50 new neutrals left over to take us to 200. So that big expansion is just 10-15 new cards for your class and 50 new neutrals. Probably 1/3 the neutrals aren't going to help you either, so maybe 20-30 cards total are going to be relevant from the 200 card expansion for someone playing mainly one class.

I had forgotten that people tend to pick and stick to a class or two. Good point again though. That also explains why that is better than multiple smaller drops with less relevance.

PVE Adventures != Expansions.

The PVE Adventures, containing ~30 new cards each, will release semi-frequently afaik, figure a handful a year, maybe every other month or something.

Ok that sounds better, I approve.

SIDE NOTE: I have a friend who works for Wizards, and I saw him a few weeks back and asked him how long it takes for a set of cards to be made; from start to finish = 4 years.

br3wnor

There's no way we see a full chat client in this game, right?

The rage I feel sometimes when someone starts spamming emotes as they pull a lucky card from their ass is unreal.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SIDE NOTE: I have a friend who works for Wizards, and I saw him a few weeks back and asked him how long it takes for a set of cards to be made; from start to finish = 4 years.

I'm not surprised at all, although 4 is longer than I expected it to be, I would've said 3. By the time Theros block was released, they already had the next expansion finished and are working on the third expansion. This is the basis of the Future Future League, where an internal testing team tries to predict the meta a year ahead, and balances cards based on that.

Compared to Blizzard slipshod process of throwing out haphazard cards and then nerfing or buffing as is appropriate, it doesn't even compare.

The amount of care that goes into the design of every card in MTG is visible through the ban history of Standard, with the last bans being Stoneforge Mystic and Jace, the Mind Sculptor, two of thousands of cards released into Standard from 2011 to 2014.
There's no way we see a full chat client in this game, right?

The rage I feel sometimes when someone starts spamming emotes as they pull a lucky card from their ass is unreal.

Imagine the rage when they're not spamming canned emotes, but instead personalized phrases like "umad?" or "kappface" or "topdicked" via chat.

What you're experiencing, is drastically toned down from what Blizzard envisioned when they made that oh so critical decision of leaving out interplayer chat from the client.

br3wnor

Imagine the rage when they're not spamming canned emotes, but instead personalized phrases like "umad?" or "kappface" or "topdicked" via chat.

What you're experiencing, is drastically toned down from what Blizzard envisioned when they made that oh so critical decision of leaving out interplayer chat from the client.

Lol, custom phrases I could be ok with, I just couldn't do full on chat.

zoukka

It's popular because it counters zoo and aggro hunter, though it gets destroyed by midrange hunter.

How does it get destroyed by midrange hunter? I want to know because I play midrange hunter. Seems to me the deck is amazing in this matchup, polys for highmanes, leper gnomes and other one drops smash face while you wait for turn 3 to MAYBE play animal companion or bow if you are lucky. Then come the later turns and they just fireball you in the face.

johnsmith

remember me
So a priest just used Holy Fire while he had an Auchenai Soulpriest out, and took 5 damage to the face. Probably the funniest thing I've ever seen. Left him with 1 hp, and I was playing hunter, so.

EX1_591.png
EX1_624.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom