• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
How does it get destroyed by midrange hunter? I want to know because I play midrange hunter. Seems to me the deck is amazing in this matchup, polys for highmanes, leper gnomes and other one drops smash face while you wait for turn 3 to MAYBE play animal companion or bow if you are lucky. Then come the later turns and they just fireball you in the face.

Aggro mage doesn't play polymorph, and they play lots of cheap creatures, so very vulnerable to unleash the hounds and/or explosive trap. They usually end up wasting their fireballs on my bigger creatures, especially anything buffed by houndmaster.

So looks like I ended the season at rank 3, gonna try for legend next season.

zoukka

Aggro mage doesn't play polymorph, and they play lots of cheap creatures, so very vulnerable to unleash the hounds and/or explosive trap. They usually end up wasting their fireballs on my bigger creatures, especially anything buffed by houndmaster.

Ah I guess I played a variation of aggro mage then, they played a lot more spells like ice lances, frostbolts and they had some late game cards too like water elemental and polys. They play just enough early game minions to pressure, but not enough for UTH to end the game.

Card Boy

Banned
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...189.1073741828.498467596862680&type=1&theater

10294277_710403255669112_6849970250114989441_n.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Still bad, but not as bad as Eye for an Eye.

Having this and Noble Sacrifice out at the same time will be hilarious though.

What happens if both players' HP becomes 0 at the same time (due to effects that damage all characters)? Is it considered a tie?
And how does it affect your record at the arena or your rank in ranked play?

Aylinato

What happens if both players' HP becomes 0 at the same time (due to effects that damage all characters)? Is it considered a tie?
And how does it affect your record at the arena or your rank in ranked play?

It's a tie, no one wins. It's null on the record, doesn't affect mmr

Tash

Just started playing a few days ago. I guess I should level up all my classes to 10 like suggested in the newbie guide but I am focusing on my mage for now.

In Arena, you can always only choose from three classes at the start right?
Had to play priest which I haven't played at all. Needless to say I had a horribly hard time :p

Also, are the schedules/deadlines/card changes/challenges etc etc normally posted on the website listed?

While it's super easy to get into I am still a bit overwhelmed by the opportunites such as the monthly things or whatever they are called..

Additionally, someone posted a link to a site to compare the three cards for Arena but, for the life of me, I can't find it any more -.-

zoukka

Just started playing a few days ago. I guess I should level up all my classes to 10 like suggested in the newbie guide but I am focusing on my mage for now.

In Arena, you can always only choose from three classes at the start right?
Had to play priest which I haven't played at all. Needless to say I had a horribly hard time :p

Also, are the schedules/deadlines/card changes/challenges etc etc normally posted on the website listed?

While it's super easy to get into I am still a bit overwhelmed by the opportunites such as the monthly things or whatever they are called..

Additionally, someone posted a link to a site to compare the three cards for Arena but, for the life of me, I can't find it any more -.-

http://www.arenavalue.com/

Kosma

Banned
Ending season at rank 10 it seems, was rank 8 ;(

So a priest just used Holy Fire while he had an Auchenai Soulpriest out, and took 5 damage to the face. Probably the funniest thing I've ever seen. Left him with 1 hp, and I was playing hunter, so.

Which emote did you use?

keuja

Just started a priest run and got offered the choice between Cho, TBK, and Slyvanas. Which do I choose?

TBK is good but Sylvanas might offer more synergy as a Priest because you can potentially shadow word Death her to steal an enemy minion.

There's no way we see a full chat client in this game, right?

The rage I feel sometimes when someone starts spamming emotes as they pull a lucky card from their ass is unreal.

My apologies.

scy

This is interesting. For one, it shows why they changed the way secrets interact with the board so you can't on-demand use this as a +3/+2 Charge. Second, this would mean you have to do something during your opponent's turn. Guess we're out of the whole "doing absolutely nothing at all" bit for enemy turns? Though the most likely case is they just forgot "random" in there.

So I've been messing around with this Shaman deck in casual play. It's doing surprisingly well so I'm considering trying it out on ranked. Before I do though I figured I'd post it here and see what recommendations I could get as far as what I should remove and change out.

I don't think it's particularly good against the current meta but it seems like it can at least hang.

b8YytMy.jpg

Seems a bit all over the place. What are you going for with this deck?

Versatility, mainly.

Depending on what I'm up against I can put pressure on in the early going and plan ahead for a burst finish. Lots of removal as well. Or at least that's the theory.

I'm guessing there's a bit I can do to focus it more toward a midrange deck but I'm not sure what cards I'd have that I could throw in. Unfortunately I'm missing some of the good stuff like Leeroy, Al'Akir and Earth Elementals.

I was a bit skeptical of Auctioneer and Azure Drake but with so many spells in there they seemed worthwhile. There might be better stuff to replace them with though

Prototype

Sorry if this has been asked before but I just got an S5 and can't find the game on Google play. Is there not an android based version of this game?

Is the season over now or at the end of today? I was one win away from rank 6 which would be my highest when my iPad ran out of juice last night!

I know it doesn't matter for anything other than my own sense of achievement but missing out by 1 point is gutting!

Copenap

How do you figure that? t's pretty much standard Shaman with a few swaps.
Do you have a link to such a standard Shaman? I've never seen anything like this. Of course the strong Shaman cards are in (and even some questionable ones lika Windfury and Bloodlust) and Argent Commander is frequently run in Shaman but the rest seems pretty random with now clear goal.

IceMarker

Played my first arena using Priest and that "valuearena" site.

0-3, Lost against three shamans in a row, wasn't even close on the first two.

ZHslSt1.gif

Card games are a joke sometimes.

ViviOggi

Played my first arena using Priest and that "valuearena" site.

0-3, Lost against three shamans in a row, wasn't even close on the first two.

ZHslSt1.gif

Card games are a joke sometimes.

Live and learn, a publicly available drafting tool isn't going to make you breeze through Arena from the get-go. Priest is generally iffy in Arena though.

IceMarker

Live and learn, a publicly available drafting tool isn't going to make you breeze through Arena from the get-go. Priest is generally iffy in Arena though.

It was my understanding the matchmaking system will match me with someone with the same skill level as me, at around 150 games played (mostly duels with friends) and only 25 play mode wins.

Minsc

Gold Member
You picked Priest, that's like asking for no wins.

Only thing easier than killing priests in this game is winning with UTH + Leeroy.

Seriously, priests have like no good cards for the first 1/2 of the game unless you get a gimmicky combo like that 3/5 + circle of healing.

ViviOggi

It was my understanding the matchmaking system will match me with someone with the same skill level as me, at around 150 games played (mostly duels with friends) and only 25 play mode wins.

Arena doesn't go by MMR, you'll play against people with a win/loss record similar to the one you have in your current run.

Do you have a link to such a standard Shaman? I've never seen anything like this. Of course the strong Shaman cards are in (and even some questionable ones lika Windfury and Bloodlust) and Argent Commander is frequently run in Shaman but the rest seems pretty random with now clear goal.

I looked at several different decks and kind of molded it into one I felt comfortable with.

This one is probably the most comparable just with a few swaps.

http://www.icy-veins.com/hearthstone-low-budget-shaman-control-deck

Brak

Basically every Shaman deck that has been run in competitions for the past 3 months has looked fairly similar to this. Which is part of why Shaman is on such a decline lately--the ascendance of Hunter being the other big reason why Shaman is fading. You can get more bursty with bloodlust and windfury, get some mob control with wild pyros, or throw some other wrenches in there, but the core is generally the same.

Here's a random sample of decks from recent competitions:
- Savjz's Shaman from ESGN Fight Night S5
- Danielctin's Shaman (runner-up @ Dreamhack Bucharest last weekend)
- Artosis' Shaman from IEM Katowice 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom