• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanke__

Right? I think it might be everyone but us.

You might be right

Ive been playing for 3 days and have used $10 of real money and its the only legendary i have.

O and im super addicted to this game after 3 days

Ive made it to 4 wins in arena with the mage and rank 18 using the default mage deck

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
I don't know why, but I went into arena again. You guys really have to share the secret here, because I just ain't seeing the point. I drafted a decent deck and made it to 6 wins without losses, a personal record for me. Then I ran into a Paladin with 2x Consecration, Equality, Avenging Wrath, Hammer of Wrath, 3x Truesilver, 2x Guardian of Kings, Humility and a Sunwalker. After that I ran into a Hunter with Starving Buzzard, Unleash the Hounds, Bestial Wrath, 2x Beast Companion, Hunter's Mark, Tracking, Arcane Shot, Deadly Shot and Explosive Shot.

Counting the 55 gold I got from it as compensation for the entry price, the only thing I have to show for this run (9 matches) compared to just buying a pack is 45 dust and a lot of frustration.

How the f do you guys consistently get 6+ win runs? HOW?

I'm on the same page as you. My arena runs are pretty pathetic. I've started manually tracking my stats and over the last seven arena runs I'm averaging 3.37 wins. It seemed like I did a lot better when I first started.

I do pretty well in constructed and ladder. I've used arena value and other similar sites and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have over 600 wins overall so I'm pretty familiar with the game and its mechanics and the cards. I've watched streams. Yet, I seem to continually do poorly in arena. It really frustrates me.

It seems whenever I draft a deck with reasonable aoe, I rarely get matches where they flood the board so it ends up being useless. When I don't get offered aoe, I always seem to get swarmed with aggro decks. It seems like whatever I draft, I get matched up with decks that mine have no answer to. I continually debate whether it's ultimately worth doing arena or not or if I'm just wasting my gold.

It blows my mind how Hafu has 17,000 gold from her arena runs. Obviously it can't be completely attributed to luck. There's obviously skill if she's that successful. However, when I watch her streams, I'd make 90% of the same plays and drafts. The ones I've differed on are the ones that are super nebulous and she'll usually say it could go either way. Maybe her experience gives her an innate idea which play tends to have more viable outcomes in those nebulous situations. I don't know. Arena is a source of constant frustration for me.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Maybe your mana curve is bad. You can't just pick cards based on "value" independently. What card you pick depends on what else is in the deck. If you find your hands full of removal or that's all you're playing every turn then you probably picked too much. If you're top decking you probably didn't choose enough card draw etc and so on.

Also when you've learned the classes you can go for a theme when drafting. What cards are good in general isn't necessarily good in a strategy that a class is good at e.g. when I play warrior I'll play an aggro deck with a lot of weapons, chargers etc while trying to look for a few combo cards that wouldn't be very good by themselves (the card "charge" isn't that great in a normal deck but it's great as a finisher in an aggro deck. That 2/3 farseer with windfury is pretty terrible to pick usually but it does 8 damage to the face with charge)

I've done the same... Tempted to run an arena (have just over 400g saved since my birthday purge) but afraid I'll get gambler-itis and have to spend it all.

What you could do is establish a threshold. Say you have 400g now, you could pretend like that is 0 and wait until you get 550 to do an arena run or something. As you make ore money, you can set the threshold to be higher and that way you can at least have some idea as to how much you might be willing to spend.

FStop7

Banned
I don't know why, but I went into arena again. You guys really have to share the secret here, because I just ain't seeing the point. I drafted a decent deck and made it to 6 wins without losses, a personal record for me. Then I ran into a Paladin with 2x Consecration, Equality, Avenging Wrath, Hammer of Wrath, 3x Truesilver, 2x Guardian of Kings, Humility and a Sunwalker. After that I ran into a Hunter with Starving Buzzard, Unleash the Hounds, Bestial Wrath, 2x Beast Companion, Hunter's Mark, Tracking, Arcane Shot, Deadly Shot and Explosive Shot.

Counting the 55 gold I got from it as compensation for the entry price, the only thing I have to show for this run (9 matches) compared to just buying a pack is 45 dust and a lot of frustration.

How the f do you guys consistently get 6+ win runs? HOW?

I think some people like to tell stories.

Nome

I think some people like to tell stories.
If you watch some of the popular Arena HS streams (try Hafu's; she's a legit good Arena player... constructed less so), they consistently get 11 or 12 wins with even crappy decks.

They make a lot of inferences about what their opponents have based on how they respond to threats.

FStop7

Banned
If you watch some of the popular Arena HS streams (try Hafu's; she's a legit good Arena player... constructed less so), they consistently get 11 or 12 wins with even crappy decks.

They make a lot of inferences about what their opponents have based on how they respond to threats.

I've seen Hafu and Trump stream, I know they're getting between 75 and 80 percent win rates in arena... they're definitely the exception to the rule, they're two of the best players.

drafting a good deck takes a lot of experience and playing consistently well takes even more. I'm just now to to the point where I can get to 6-7 wins.

I've gotten to 11 a bunch of times but never 12. : (

drafting a good deck takes a lot of experience and playing consistently well takes even more. I'm just know to to the point where I can get to 6-7 wins.

I've gotten to 11 a bunch of times but never 12. : (

I had an 11-0 run... I was convinced this was the one... Then I lost 3 times in a row *shakes fist in rage*

But yeah, I'd say 40% or so of my runs now go to 6+... But like 50% of my games are still 3 or less. For every run that I got 200+g I get a run that is a pack of cards and a single common which are INCREDIBLY INFURIATING!

FStop7

Banned
The new season begins tomorrow or Friday?

Time to get serious. Serious Cat. Serious Hearthstone Cat. No more playing around.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
As a fairly new player I really don't like Arena. Seems like it rewards a lot of knowledge of the card pool and also experience with arena drafting itself, which is fantastic for many I'm sure but not for me. Feel like I have way closer and more interesting matches in Ranked -- almost always quite tense, whereas in Arena it's usually a wipeout one way or the other.

I had a really good druid deck the other day that had about twice as many 2 drops as any other individual mana cost. but on my 11-2 game my starting had was all 4s and 5s andi was behind the entire game. I still had a chance to win on turn 8 by playing rag but he hit to the face. : (

Svafnir

As a fairly new player I really don't like Arena. Seems like it rewards a lot of knowledge of the card pool and also experience with arena drafting itself, which is fantastic for many I'm sure but not for me. Feel like I have way closer and more interesting matches in Ranked -- almost always quite tense, whereas in Arena it's usually a wipeout one way or the other.

They need something for more experienced players. It's probably the most fun mode once you get good.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well, you can't develop Arena knowledge without first getting your feet wet in Arena. It's true, real success in Arena comes from a far deeper knowledge of the game and player psychology, but this is the same for any drafting ruleset for any card game ever.

FStop7

Banned
I just hate it so much when I have to choose between cards that don't mesh well with each other or my class and then I end up playing against some Warrior who's got multiples of his best class cards plus Cairne and Rag to top it off. Or going up against a Druid with 239043 Swipes.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
They need something for more experienced players. It's probably the most fun mode once you get good.

Given I don't have the time I'll stick to ranked. Matchmaking there is really perfect. I love drafting generally, but a solo draft isn't quite as appealing as real drafting anyway. Glad they have the mode though for me to dabble in.

scy

I really want to see how some of these drafts and games go that so many runs seem to go 1 to 3 wins consistently. I really think it's just a lot of people not realizing the simple mistakes and other small bad plays that cost them games.

JesseZao

I really want to see how some of these drafts and games go that so many runs seem to go 1 to 3 wins consistently. I really think it's just a lot of people not realizing the simple mistakes and other small bad plays that cost them games.

Should have people stream a run or post a vid to YouTube to analyze. Could be a weekly topic/spotlight or something. Doesn't matter the skill of the player, just have one run where people can learn or give feedback on decision-making.

Kosh

My last 10 Arena runs. The Rogue I'm in the middle of looks promising, I'm happy with the draft.

eRnsVpb.png

Kosma

Banned
Given I don't have the time I'll stick to ranked. Matchmaking there is really perfect. I love drafting generally, but a solo draft isn't quite as appealing as real drafting anyway. Glad they have the mode though for me to dabble in.

Seems like you made up your mind after a week of playing

Most of us have been playing for 6 months

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Seems like you made up your mind after a week of playing

Most of us have been playing for 6 months

I didn't say it was bad at all, nor did I try to discredit anyone's experience or opinion. I didn't "make me mind up" in any decisive or dismissive way. I'm expressing my experience, which is all that I can speak to.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm pretty sure we're all saying the same thing just from different perspectives. ;)

Next season shooting for #10. So close this season but I keep losing the match to get me into 10. :p

ZZMitch

Just had my first 12 win arena run (12-1)! It was with a Mage but I am still proud. I am really good at Arena for some reason, even with bad drafts I still get at least 5 wins. I enjoy it more than constructed, I think due to less combo-y aspect of it (which is what causes my demise in some constructed match ups because I don't see them coming sometimes). In Arena it is all about making Value plays (trading up, going 2+ for 1 etc.), which I have gotten really good at thanks to watching Trump.

Also Arena is usually best when you play control, which I am much better at than aggro.

Here is the 12 win deck :D
12_Win_Arena_zpsfc50e241.png

Should have people stream a run or post a vid to YouTube to analyze. Could be a weekly topic/spotlight or something. Doesn't matter the skill of the player, just have one run where people can learn or give feedback on decision-making.

I'll stream some arena games next week perhaps. Should be a laugh.

Triz

Just had the worse ass kicking ever in Arena.

Palladin:
turn 1 young dragonhawk.
Me Shaman: pass (had no one drops)
Turn 2 blessing of might , plays secret (Noble Sacrifice)
MeShaman: shit got to clear that dragonhawk, I use stormforge axe to attack it and take the 4 to my face. Nope secret pops and I take that hit.
Pally Turn 3: he plays a taunt which I attack to clear I know Im screwed at this point.
Pally turn 4 stonetusk boar Blessing of might me dead

Wrecked in 4 turns. smh.

Haly

I'll be sure to spam kappa and topdick in chat.

Dreavus

It seems whenever I draft a deck with reasonable aoe, I rarely get matches where they flood the board so it ends up being useless. When I don't get offered aoe, I always seem to get swarmed with aggro decks. It seems like whatever I draft, I get matched up with decks that mine have no answer to. I continually debate whether it's ultimately worth doing arena or not or if I'm just wasting my gold.

I think this is partly a testament to smart play on their part. A lot of players will "check" to see if you have the AoE before fully committing to the board. If you didn't use the consecrate you could have had at 4 mana where it would have been quite good, then they'll assume you actually don't have it and then proceed to swarm you. Same goes for swipe or flame strike or holy nova or whatever other AoE is common. It works the other way too where they're worried about AoE, so they won't play their whole hand for you to blow up.

Haly

I think this is partly a testament to smart play on their part. A lot of players will "check" to see if you have the AoE before fully committing to the board. If you didn't use the consecrate you could have had at 4 mana where it would have been quite good, then they'll assume you actually don't have it and then proceed to swarm you. Same goes for swipe or flame strike or holy nova or whatever other AoE is common.

This is how you need to think to do well in Arena.

It's not enough to simply watch the board state, but to deduce what they have in their hand based on their actions on the board, then make your play based on that.

Another simple one:

Enemy Rogue's turn, has 3 mana up, activates hero power, then passes without attacking. An unused weapon telegraphs Deadly Poison, and being at 4 mana next turn telegraphs Deadly Poison + SI:7 agent.

This works in reverse too. When setting up your opponent for something, you need to make sure that you DON'T telegraph what's in your hand. Example:

You're a Mage on turn 6. Enemy has an X/4, and Y/5 minion on the board and you want to Flamestrike next turn. The last thing you want to do, in this situation, is to ping the Y/5, because that just makes it obvious that you're setting up for a Flamestrike, giving them time to counterplay.

zoukka

I get bad runs frequently. But I get 12 win runs frequently as well. Best of one matches mean that even the perfect arena deck gets wrecked by bad draws or some silly gimmick like a dragonhawk or dust devil every once in a while. Also I just can't play HS very "seriously" since there's no money incolved and the runs take forever. I usually watch videos or even play other games while I grind arena... If i solely focused on the game I my results would skyrocket :)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Got my first legendary card today, it's called Nozdormu, I've never heard of it. Any thoughts? I use a hunter deck, seems pretty lame for a legendary.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
You're a Mage on turn 6. Enemy has an X/4, and Y/5 minion on the board and you want to Flamestrike next turn. The last thing you want to do, in this situation, is to ping the Y/5, because that just makes it obvious that you're setting up for a Flamestrike, giving them time to counterplay.

a mage made that mistake on me this morning. I didn't play any more minions due to it, and he dropped more stuff, which I cleared, and then dropped something inconsequential (Dragonling Mechanic) to draw the flamestrike instead of playing my big boys.

scy

I get bad runs frequently. But I get 12 win runs frequently as well. Best of one matches mean that even the perfect arena deck gets wrecked by bad draws or some silly gimmick like a dragonhawk or dust devil every once in a while. Also I just can't play HS very "seriously" since there's no money incolved and the runs take forever. I usually watch videos or even play other games while I grind arena... If i solely focused on the game I my results would skyrocket :)

Which is why I use the word consistently. Like, the people who's normal is to just barely get to 3 wins, if that.

And, yeah, I know that feel. When I do my serious grinds, I tend to turn off my second monitor and put Hearthstone in non-windowed so I focus better :x

FStop7

Banned
Got my first legendary card today, it's called Nozdormu, I've never heard of it. Any thoughts? I use a hunter deck, seems pretty lame for a legendary.

I've only seen Noz used once.

I'd say hang onto it unless you have a card in mind you really want to craft, just in case Blizz changes it. When they change cards you can DE them for full value dust (1600 instead of 400 for legendaries.)

Re: Lamestrike. I always assume that there is one coming at 7 mana (or 6 if they have the coin.) Sometimes I will try to bait them into playing it by putting out a stampeding kodo or tundra rhino.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I've only seen Noz used once.

I'd say hang onto it unless you have a card in mind you really want to craft, just in case Blizz changes it. When they change cards you can DE them for full value dust (1600 instead of 400 for legendaries.)

Re: Lamestrike. I always assume that there is one coming at 7 mana (or 6 if they have the coin.) Sometimes I will try to bait them into playing it by putting out a stampeding kodo or tundra rhino.
Oh really? I'll hang onto it then, nothing I need the dust for right away anyways. Thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom