• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Applebite

Kinda sad that I got knocked out of arena with only two wins, but I kinda feel my one pack redeemed my losses.
Q1VXJCD.png

SentryDown

I play Hearthstone a lot but this is one of my first card game and something bother me : when the meta is control, people will start to play aggro but when the meta is aggro and control deck aren't efficient enough to counter aggro, how is the meta gonna change ?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
iZSv8gaIDzC6T.png

WELL PLAYED.

I play Hearthstone a lot but this is one of my first card game and something bother me : when the meta is control, people will start to play aggro but when the meta is aggro and control deck aren't efficient enough to counter aggro, how is the meta gonna change ?

Nerfs and buffs.

it's why there was a shift towards the hunter decks that ran highlands. it is generally good against aggro and control. the last half of the season was everyone either playing that deck or trying to figure out how to counter it. zoo and ramp druid are okay counters if you draw well.

but that hunter deck isn't easy to pilot so I suspect a lot of people gave up on it because they weren't just automatically winning every game.

Haly

Currently, for like, copper tier ranked:

Aggro Hunter
Zoolock
Aggro Mage
Value/Tempo Rogue
Midrange Hunter
Midrange Shaman
Control Druid
Control Warrior
Control Priest
Handlock
Miracle Rogue

And a bunch of other stuff that don't really matter.

Yay, hit 20. This month's card back is mine! I started at 22, played against a lot of shamans and warriors. Just beat a warrior who played Alexstrasza and buffed himself back to 15 health when he was at 6. Nothing a taunt couldn't remedy. Oh, and I topdecked Swipe, which gave me lethal a turn earlier than I had hoped!

Kosh

So far today, at Rank 20-19 I've seen the following.

Warlock - Zoo
Hunter - Not sure, did see a EH Bow, but not much else before he conceded. I had a god draw.
Rogue - Tempo variant
Shaman - No idea. He didn't play much but a lightning bolt and totems.
Mage - Not sure, played Vaporize secret and Violet Teacher.

Small sample size. I'm running standard Zoo with Mukla and Black Knight. I anticipated a lot of Druids with taunt since Gaara won the Bucharest tourney and Kolento is playing Ramp Druid currently on his stream.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I even won some games with my Arena Hunter with not a single UTH or Kill Command.

Just all those traps + hero power + cheap removal... Felt so dirty

scy

I think this is a small misconception: The current meta is not aggro. It's mid-range. We'll probably see faster decks come about (e.g., the aggro Mage, tempo Rogue decks we've been seeing) that will force the mid-range back that then brings anti-aggro Control back into the picture.

Regarding Zoo, it's an aggro deck that is focused on board control. I wouldn't classify it as a Control deck or anything like that but it definitely is not a pure rush deck. It should prefer killing your minions to letting them live. It's why it runs so many buffing creatures and otherwise efficient minions.

FStop7

Banned
I made it to Rank 11 EU. Was at Rank 12 NA but I got greedy and slipped to 14 when the reset happened.

Gonna try real hard for single digits this season. I can win with Hunter but it's such a boring, rote class. Zoo is more fun but is also somewhat rote. Pally looks like fun but it seems to be viable it needs Tirion and Cairne, neither of which I have.

ViviOggi

I think this is a small misconception: The current meta is not aggro. It's mid-range. We'll probably see faster decks come about (e.g., the aggro Mage, tempo Rogue decks we've been seeing) that will force the mid-range back that then brings anti-aggro Control back into the picture.

I'll try that out, Miracle feels way too dicey at the moment.

Bii

I made it to Rank 11 EU. Was at Rank 12 NA but I got greedy and slipped to 14 when the reset happened.

Gonna try real hard for single digits this season. I can win with Hunter but it's such a boring, rote class. Zoo is more fun but is also somewhat rote. Pally looks like fun but it seems to be viable it needs Tirion and Cairne, neither of which I have.

I'm going to try to get to rank 8 or below this season (US). I was able to reach rank 9 and was surprised that I got that far. Over time, I think I've become a better player. I used to play by using as much mana as I could each turn. But now, I've started to wait to play cards and decide when it's best to drop cards down in anticipation of what my opponent will do next.

Applebite

Probably gonna dust the golden Overspark. I have Pagle, Baron Geddon and Mukla, so what legendary would be best to craft? Rag? Thalnos? Sylvanas?

Haly

Rag, probably. Or Sylvanas.

Thalnos is nice to have but it's not necessary by any means. It's just a very good value card. Rag is a wincon. Ysera is a wincon. Leeroy is a wincon. These cards enable entire decks.

That just happened

It didn't even have the shield anymore

Did you have lethal next turn, or within a reasonable range of it? Sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do. I've traded an 8-3 minion with a 3-1 before, because I would've been dead otherwise. It doesn't feel great, but sometimes you have to play to your outs and forget efficiency.

ViviOggi

Did you have lethal next turn, or within a reasonable range of it? Sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do. I've traded an 8-3 minion with a 3-1 before, because I would've been dead otherwise. It doesn't feel great, but sometimes you have to play to your outs and forget efficiency.

Of course. He was at like 15 HP and very unlikely to come back. BUT WHY WOULD YOU EVER THINK ABOUT RUNNING NATURALIZE

Haly

I have lost quite a few games to cards no one in their right mind would ever run, Naturalize first and foremost.

Applebite

Rag, probably. Or Sylvanas.

Thalnos is nice to have but it's not necessary by any means. It's just a very good value card. Rag is a wincon. Ysera is a wincon. Leeroy is a wincon. These cards enable entire decks.
depends on what you like playing, really. i'd say top 3 to craft are leeroy, cairne and thalnos.
Leeroy is more versatile IMO but I like the idea of finally being able to dick people over with Ragnaros after experiecing that myself so many times, haha.

ultron87

I do feel slightly sad when I'm in Casual and end up playing people that clearly have no idea what card advantage means. One time I had another player somehow manage to draw me 5 cards while killing my two Acolytes of Pain that weren't really doing anything.

codecow

After the reset I started at 19, I saw:

2x - Warrior control deck with Armorsmith, Shield Bash, Whirlwind, enrage cards, Hellscream, and sometimes other legs like Cairne, etc... I don't think I have beaten that deck yet when I have played it.

1x - Mighty mighty! hunter from Kolento.

1x - Ramp druid.

Miletius

Been watching Amaz stream the last 2 days. I think Priest is gonna come back hard, seems pretty deadly in the hands of a good player. The thing is though, that priest deck hasn't really changed since 2 patches ago, it's very much the standard priest control that we've seen for ages. It's just, good right now.

Haly

Shift to midrange probably means Priest has an easier time keeping up.

zoukka

I have lost quite a few games to cards no one in their right mind would ever run, Naturalize first and foremost.

Well naturalize is a great card if you just need to secure a win or a deadly board for the last turn. It's far from terrible.

Special C

The Dream

Arena Opening hand (no mulligan)
3x Mana Worm, Frostbolt, Coin

Opponent Turn 1 Pass

Turn 1, Draw Arcane Missiles
Play Mana Worm

Opponent Turn 2, Ooze

Turn 2. Draw Arcane Missiles
Worm, Worm, Coin, Arcane Missiles(2 hits to Ooze 1 to face)

Opponent Turn 3, Amani Berzerker, Leper Gnome

Turn 3
Draw Arcane Missiles
Frost Bolt Berzerker, Arcane Missile to Gnome and Face

I now Have 3, 4/3 Worms vs an Empty Board

Raxus

Hunter, Warlock, Hunter, Warlock.

More cookie cutters please.

I can't wait for both these classes to get nerfed.

Haly

Well naturalize is a great card if you just need to secure a win or a deadly board for the last turn. It's far from terrible.

It's extremely narrow. When it is useful, it's game winning, but it can only be useful maybe 1 out of 10 games,

I don't really consider this a "good card". If Hearthstone had sideboards, it'd be relegated to sideboard tech. Sap is better in the majority of cases and I still hate drafting Sap, or seeing it in my opening hand.

Given the limited amount of slots in Hearthstone decks and the lack of sideboards, running a card as situational as Naturalize just doesn't make sense, numerically speaking.

The best cards are those that can advance your position whether you're ahead or behind, the moment you can play it or as a top deck late in the game. Good cards fulfill some of these conditions. Average cards only fulfill a few, maybe 2 or 3.

TimeKillr

Doesn't help that Hearthpwn did a huge post at the top of their page with a Priest deck also.

Yeah but that type of Priest deck is pretty difficult to play. You have to be slow and methodical.

Most people who just copy netdecks are neither :) They shouldn't last long, honestly.

How come more people don't use a Thrallmar Farseer or Windfury Harpy in their Paladin decks? I just realized how deadly they can be with Blessing of Might + Blessed Champion.

How come more people don't use a Thrallmar Farseer or Windfury Harpy in their Paladin decks? I just realized how deadly they can be with Blessing of Might + Blessed Champion.

they're expensive for their base stats and are easy to kill. if a paladin plays one you know exactly what is coming.

scy

Because they're awful cards on their own so it's usually not hard to deal with them before you can get your gimmick going.

Special C

Are there Enrage Gimmick decks out there for Mage? I had an Arena run where I drafted a lot of Berserkers and Worgens and did really well with it. Could it work?

Haly

Are there Enrage Gimmick decks out there for Mage? I had an Arena run where I drafted a lot of Berserkers and Worgens and did really well with it. Could it work?

Sure, but you have to realize the cost you're paying.

Amani Berseker + Fireball = 5/2 for 4
Chilldwind Yeti = 4/5 for 4

Raging Worgen + Fireball = 4/2 Windfury for 5
Wildspeaker = 3/3 Windfury for 4 (although he can't target himself)

Triggering Enrage with your own Fireballs is great for Arena because of the flexibility it offers, but in Constructed you're just overpaying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom