• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Aw man. I get a Golden Epic and it's on something stupid like Far Sight. =(

Wortany

First time I played against a zoo deck. Lucky guy started with 2 knife jugglers while I had one of my worst first hands with nothing to react to him.

Now I see where all the outrage is coming from. /rage

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
First time I played against a zoo deck. Lucky guy started with 2 knife jugglers while I had one of my worst first hands with nothing to react to him.

From mulligan rng..? A bad draw makes you lose to any deck, not just zoo. Zoo just makes you feel more embarrassed.

Tarazet

Ever since the iPad version came out, I've had a really easy time winning especially in Casual. I pulled out my Zoo deck.. demolished a Handlock with a 6/8 Voidwalker and finished off on turn 5 with an Arcane Golem. From turn 2 he had absolutely no way to turn it around.

ZealousD

You mean aw yes..? Love anything golden. Free dust.

lol I guess. I like having gold cards for stuff I'll use though. I have a golden Azure Drake that I feel like I've gotten a lot of use out of. One of my first cards and I've used it in so many decks.

zoukka

lol I guess. I like having gold cards for stuff I'll use though. I have a golden Azure Drake that I feel like I've gotten a lot of use out of. One of my first cards and I've used it in so many decks.

Yep golden playables are great, but golden shitty cards are just as great. Dat dust. Feels so good to just dust a golden common for 50 dees!

krossj

I just started this game and even though I don't like the free to play structure (10 gold for 3 wins or buy..) I'm enjoying playing it. When I can. The game crashes almost every second match. My internet is fine the whole time but for some reason I keep getting a number of random errors. It is especially irritating when it says I am disconnected and reconnects at the end of my turn.

Is this common? I'm playing on a mac if that helps.

sibarraz

Banned
It seems that in order to get the fireside gathering cards, I mustn't had my opponent as friends, since when that happens, the nearby player option dissapears

Problem is, when I remove a friend, and he tries to challenge me, automatically cancels the match

How could I remove a friend but without blocking him?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
bwhahaha.

I finally headed back to the ladder with my miracle rogue.

was playing a full on aggro hunter. He got me down to one health with a bluegill and a secret (obviously explosive trap). He had 16 health.

I had an SI Agent and Gadze, but had like 10 cards in hand from two good rounds of Auctioneering.

He kept spamming "I'm sorry"

I dropped an Earthen Ring, healed to four. Played Cold Blood on my Gadze, hit him for 11 with SI / Gad, the Cold Blood caused a draw which was Leeroy, dropped him and hit.

GG. Well Played.

I think I had another way of doing it with SI Agents and Shadowstep too... but might've been one short. Leeroy solved it though!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I just started this game and even though I don't like the free to play structure (10 gold for 3 wins or buy..) I'm enjoying playing it. When I can. The game crashes almost every second match. My internet is fine the whole time but for some reason I keep getting a number of random errors. It is especially irritating when it says I am disconnected and reconnects at the end of my turn.

Is this common? I'm playing on a mac if that helps.

Not common, far as I know. I mainly play on my Surface but it works absolutely fine on my mac too. Never crashed.

If you just started you have a bunch of quest options available to get yourself 5-6 packs free. Dailies and general play can get you a pack a day. It's pretty darn easy to have a good collection within a month.

I have 2x backstab, 2x si7 agents, 1 perditions, 2x deadly poison, blade flurry - all to help my deck out tempo or at least pace decks like zoo and sometimes I still get rolled over by zoo because I don't draw a single one of those cards or just the one that has no real benefit.

Fortunately a lot of noobs play that deck and they go for face when they should trade and I have won matches simply because of that.

ZealousD

bwhahaha.

I finally headed back to the ladder with my miracle rogue.

was playing a full on aggro hunter. He got me down to one health with a bluegill and a secret (obviously explosive trap). He had 22 health.

I had an SI Agent and Gadze, but had like 10 cards in hand from two good rounds of Auctioneering.

He kept spamming "I'm sorry"

I dropped an Earthen Ring, healed to four. Played Cold Blood on my Gadze, hit him for 11 with SI / Gad, the Cold Blood caused a draw which was Leeroy, dropped him and hit, Shadowstep, and hit again.

GG. Well Played.

Haha, that's awesome.

I was playing against a priest the other day with my warrior. I had the advantage the whole game and had several minions on the board, but he still had 30 hp.

Then I top decked my Alexstraza.

And then OTK'd him.

krossj

Not common, far as I know. I mainly play on my Surface but it works absolutely fine on my mac too. Never crashed.

If you just started you have a bunch of quest options available to get yourself 5-6 packs free. Dailies and general play can get you a pack a day. It's pretty darn easy to have a good collection within a month.

It could be something to do with the servers here, will try again later on.

Those early quests helped a lot in building out my collection. Going to keep with it and hopefully tackle arena mode soon.

br3wnor

80% of the time you can pick Mage/Pally?? I have played over a dozen Arenas and NOT ONCE have I seen Mage and maybe pally twice :(

I had the same luck as you in arena until I drafted an amazing Priest deck that had great mana spread and lots of good dudes. Went 7 wins but could have done better. Lost one game to stupidity.

It's only past 2 weeks but it's definitely in the 80% range. Blind luck though, I had tons of arenas with shit class pulls before

I'm an expert

It could be something to do with the servers here, will try again later on.

Those early quests helped a lot in building out my collection. Going to keep with it and hopefully tackle arena mode soon.

Also, don't be afraid to disenchant. I suggest picking 3-4 classes you'll like (and for dailies) and to disenchant EVERY card of the rest. This will help you craft the necessary cards for basic decks. Instead of trying to draw 2 UTHs, just spend the 80 dust. It will increase your enjoyment and win rate rather than playing some watered down version of a deck and cursing yourself for not having enough of a card.

Also, don't be afraid to disenchant. I suggest picking 3-4 classes you'll like (and for dailies) and to disenchant EVERY card of the rest. This will help you craft the necessary cards for basic decks. Instead of trying to draw 2 UTHs, just spend the 80 dust. It will increase your enjoyment and win rate rather than playing some watered down version of a deck and cursing yourself for not having enough of a card.

Uhhhm, don't do this. You'll be putting yourself back a LOT for those other classes. If you want to just learn the game, play arena. Plus, for most new players it's skill that's setting you back, not cards. So keep everything you don't have 3 or more of.

Plus, what you enjoy now won't necessarily be what you'll enjoy later. For instance, I used to main Priest.; now I just play it once in a blue moon for fun.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
oh man sorry for more story time but this was great.

Arena, my Rogue vs. Druid

Turn 1 Bloodsail Corsair / He hits Corsiar with HP
Turn 2 Coin Raging Worgen / he eliminated Corsiar with HP
Turn 3 Mad Bomber, 2 to his face, one to Worgen, then use Cold Blood, Worgen hits twice for 8 + 8 / he swipes to kill worgen, leaves 3/1 Bomber
Turn 4 Stormwind Knight and Bomber go to face / he drops Molten Giant for free and his own knight who kills Mad Bomber
Turn 5 Crazed Alchemist switches my Knight to 5/2, spawn a dagger, finish him off.

Special C

Its difficult to start out trying to collect cards for all 9 classes, but I stuck to it and I'm glad I did. Keeps the game fresh.

ViviOggi

Arena, my Rogue vs. Pally

Turn 3 Mad Bomber, 2 to his face, one to Worgen, then use Cold Blood, Worgen hits twice for 8 + 8 / he swipes to kill worgen, leaves 3/1 Bomber
Turn 4 Stormwind Knight and Bomber go to face / he drops Molten Giant for free and his own knight who kills Mad Bomber
Turn 5 Crazed Alchemist switches my Bomber to 5/2, spawn a dagger, finish him off.

What a lucky guy, thoughtstealing Swipe like that!

Arena, my Rogue vs. Pally

Turn 5 Crazed Alchemist switches my Bomber to 5/2, spawn a dagger, finish him off.

I assume you mean vs Druid? ;)

I'm an expert

Uhhhm, don't do this. You'll be putting yourself back a LOT for those other classes. If you want to just learn the game, play arena. Plus, for most new players it's skill that's setting you back, not cards. So keep everything you don't have 3 or more of.

Plus, what you enjoy now won't necessarily be what you'll enjoy later. For instance, I used to main Priest.; now I just play it once in a blue moon for fun.

Meh, you eventually play enough to be able to replace cards whenever. And sometimes a class just doesnt mesh. I dont play rogue in wow, I sure dont play it in hearth. Luckily I get a ton of rogue epics from packs.

krossj

Thanks for the advice people. Still learning the basics at the moment. Going to explore all the classes and hopefully expand my cards along the way.

Haines

Banned
Something I wish I did earlier was start working on a eur account aka second account. Allows me to play for more gold for more arenas

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Made myself a Miracle Rogue, though I don't have Leeroy, Edwin or Preparation. Dreaming of how this deck would be stupidly OP with those added in. Wrecked some guys in 10 games straight, though I felt like most of my opponents just didn't do very much, but that might be just in my head due to keeping a fair amount of cards in hand myself, waiting for combo.

Turn 5 (Gadgetzan + Coin + Conceal) + Turn 6 (Gadgetzan + Conceal + Any 0-mana stuff) = You win, especially if you already had Questing Adventurer on the board.
EX1_095_premium.gif

He does have the best deals anywhere.

No. If you want to learn the game, play Casual and make your own decks to see what works for you and what doesn't. Look at what others are running, what combos they have, etc. You'll learn to recognize threats and you'll get to know what all the classes can do, and it's all free and in a controlled environment with standard rules and limitations and against decks that are actually constructed for the purpose of winning. Reading up on some basic stuff like efficient trading of minions and Mana curves is also hugely beneficial (it was for me). For Arena, you need to pay 150 gold, and then what? You don't really know what to draft yet and you don't know the cards yet. You go up against someone who drafted a shittier deck than you? You win, but learned pretty much nothing. Go up against a Mage with 3 fireballs and 2 Pyroblasts and lose? You learned nothing. You're just burning gold on nothing.

I'd say go into Casual first, or Ranked if you feel like it. Don't buy packs with your gold the instant you can, just save it up and experiment with your basic cards or perhaps look up some basic decks online. When you have unlocked every class specific card, buy packs with the gold you have gained. You will likely have an idea what cards fit with what class by now, and now you can start experimenting with the cards you got from the packs and crafting. If you like that cycle, you can keep doing it. If you want a higher reward (coupled with a higher risk), then start doing Arena (after perhaps observing Arena runs of the big streamers), but beware that skills acquired in Arena don't necessarily directly translate to Ranked and vice versa.

I just had the dumbest conversation after I beat this hunter in casual. He asked me to teach him how to draw. I responded I had many options to get to lethal and that my second eviscerate from topdecking wasn't even necessary it just made it easier to navigate around his two traps (which I knew was 1 freeze trap and 1 explosive or misdirection). I basically had lethal without the second eviscerate but that just made it so much easier. If it was explosive, I won. If it was misdirect, I had 2 whelps from him using leeroy/uth combo.

He then said I am not as good as my "dumbass" thinks I am. lol... played this guy once (who happens to be rank 20) and he is insulting me on how I am not as good as I think I am. He then starting going on about how is isn't complaining about the match up but just that I am not good because I relied on card draw. He even said it wasn't about the top decked eviscerate it was that I am just not skilled because I relied on card draw.

I pointed out that everyone in a card game relies on card draw, so doesn't that make everyone suck? He didn't respond so I unfriended him... lmao... just so weird a conversation to have after my warm up match for the day.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Should've asked him if his deck ran any Starving Buzzards.

ViviOggi

I'm 11-2 with Rogue, facing a Paladin. I play Argent Squire on 1, coin Scarlet Crusader on 2, he skips both. Turn 3: "I am sorry" followed by the motherfucking Blood Knight on 3. Worst thing is I could have seen it coming as he didn't make a dude on 2, but I didn't realize it until it was too late.

The crappy haul:

^ I take that back lol

Everything went better than expected

I just got 8 wins in the Arena for the first time, and it was also my first time getting 7+ wins which meant that I got enough gold from rewards to play again for free (180G). It felt so good getting 50 games worth of gold + a booster and 50 arcane dust from spending 150G. I envy those who can easily average 6-8 wins.

edit: Used the gold from my 8 win run to play again and only won 2 games. Opened my booster pack and got a golden Leeroy!!!

Strider

Time to have some fun.

SSRDU3E.png

I also have 1600 dust now. Want to craft a legendary but Idk which one yet so I'm gonna hold off for now.

Boney

Banned
So I've recently gotten into this. I was a VERY casual Magic and Pokemon fan 15 years ago so I know the basics of card games.

Played a bit with the tutorial, and then after getting my ass kicked with the vanilla sorcerer deck online, went back and made a semi decent paladin deck that's gotten me 80% or so wins. I've seen some great cards I wish I could add to my deck from some more advanced players and the pro CPU so I was wondering what was the best way to get into casually getting more cards to get a little bit more synergy going (I don't wanna look up faqs for decks)

So idk, any newcomer tips? What does arena do, is it a random deck? Why does it cost to play that? What's the dust card thingy and what does it do?

Anyways, fun stuff!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So I've recently gotten into this. I was a VERY casual Magic and Pokemon fan 15 years ago so I know the basics of card games.

Played a bit with the tutorial, and then after getting my ass kicked with the vanilla sorcerer deck online, went back and made a semi decent paladin deck that's gotten me 80% or so wins. I've seen some great cards I wish I could add to my deck from some more advanced players and the pro CPU so I was wondering what was the best way to get into casually getting more cards to get a little bit more synergy going (I don't wanna look up faqs for decks)

So idk, any newcomer tips? What does arena do, is it a random deck? Why does it cost to play that? What's the dust card thingy and what does it do?

Anyways, fun stuff!

Do your daily quests to earn gold.

Play Arena. It costs 150 gold. You draft a deck. You get a choice of one of three random classes, and then 30 choices to fill your deck, each from three cards, with a minimum amount of rares or better (and sometimes more). Many articles and resources on efficient drafting, as Arena is very value based since getting synergy is tougher.

Arena you play until you either win 12 or lose 3. Regardless of how you do, you at least get a pack of cards. If you win 3, you get a pack plus at least 50 gold (equalling your entry fee in terms of value). If you win 7, you'll get a pack plus at least 150 gold (your whole fee).

When you have more than 2 of any card (or more than 1 of any legendary) you can disenchant the extra for dust, which is the crafting resource. However, you only get a very partial value (unless the card has been changed recently, then you get full value). This is really the only "trading" mechanic in the game.

Grinding arena and getting good at it is the best way to earn gold / packs. Beyond your quests, also earn 10 gold for every three wins (up to 30 wins, I believe) each day in the Play Mode.

I want to main paladin, but doesn't seem to be that good, some advices please?

Just don't. Paladins are in a bad spot. There is a reason they make up between 2-3% between Rank 9 to 1 overall. They only deck viable is the slow Legendary/Heal yourself deck. Even then they are in a bad spot. Hunters and Handlocks can neuter them. The problem is that Hunters and locks make up over 60% of games between 9 to 1.

I love my pally. It's a lot of fun. I don't know anyone who can make them viable endgame. Their is a reason you don't see Pallies ever rank in Tourneys anymore. The only place pallies can be good right now is Arena.

Kosma

Banned
I dunno whats up but after my initial rush to rank 13 ive fallen to 16 now. Maybe im not being concentrated but last season I went up to rank 8 with my lock and hunter and now this...

Lost to a murlock pally???? Is this a thing?

On the other hand Arena is going swell, had a 7 run and now on a 4-1 one. So I cant be that shite.

johnsmith

remember me
I dunno whats up but after my initial rush to rank 13 ive fallen to 16 now. Maybe im not being concentrated but last season I went up to rank 8 with my lock and hunter and now this...

Lost to a murlock pally???? Is this a thing?

Same here, I was up to rank 10 and now i'm down to 13. Playing too many people with legendary card backs,

CoolOff

The one thing my netdecked Anti-Hunter Shaman can't seem to beat at the moment is... Hunter. It's just freaking impossible. I think I need to restrain myself to a maximum of 1 minion on board instead of 2 just to not get UTHd + everything else.

Kosma

Banned
Same here, I was up to rank 10 and now i'm down to 13. Playing too many people with legendary card backs,

I was hoping to get higher then 8 this month.

Maybe its still early days and the ladder hasnt set yet. Ive also noticed that weekends are tougher somehows. You feel the same?

johnsmith

remember me
I was hoping to get higher then 8 this month.

Maybe its still early days and the ladder hasnt set yet. Ive also noticed that weekends are tougher somehows. You feel the same?

In 2 or 3 weeks I'm sure I'll be able to breeze to rank 5 once the ranks are settled. I made it to rank 3 last season, i see no reason I shouldn't be able to this season either.

CoolOff

Ysera or Thalnos for Rogue in Arena? I feel like the combo-value of Thalnos is insane, but Ysera is Ysera...

I guess I could just go YOLO-Deathwing.

I'm trying out a gadgetzan priest deck and the first match where things are going my way... both my finishers (stormpike knight) are in the last 5 cards... ouch. I got through my deck in like 11 turns. Worked out well. Just stupidly bad luck.

Boney

Banned
Do your daily quests to earn gold.

Play Arena. It costs 150 gold. You draft a deck. You get a choice of one of three random classes, and then 30 choices to fill your deck, each from three cards, with a minimum amount of rares or better (and sometimes more). Many articles and resources on efficient drafting, as Arena is very value based since getting synergy is tougher.

Arena you play until you either win 12 or lose 3. Regardless of how you do, you at least get a pack of cards. If you win 3, you get a pack plus at least 50 gold (equalling your entry fee in terms of value). If you win 7, you'll get a pack plus at least 150 gold (your whole fee).

When you have more than 2 of any card (or more than 1 of any legendary) you can disenchant the extra for dust, which is the crafting resource. However, you only get a very partial value (unless the card has been changed recently, then you get full value). This is really the only "trading" mechanic in the game.

Grinding arena and getting good at it is the best way to earn gold / packs. Beyond your quests, also earn 10 gold for every three wins (up to 30 wins, I believe) each day in the Play Mode.

Hmm I see, thanks for the insight. Bummed about spending my coins on boosters instead of arena but oh well.

I was very fortunate today and picked up a gold crested Tirion Fordring. He disenchants for 1600 so enough to create a normal legendary. I primarily play druid and I haven't tried too many other classes. What is a good legendary that will work in multiple decks? I kinda want the +4 spell power dragon or the emerald dream dragon, or maybe the black knight who seems good. Any suggestions appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom