• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

keuja

I wish the other player could be "squelshed" by default.
I feel there's too much BM in this game, even at scrub level. Although I know I shouldn't care, it can make the game less enjoyable for me.

Dammit searing totem is the trolliest RNG thing in the game. It's always the first one to come up

Any guesses on what card gets changed/nerfed next? I'm going with Gadgetzan Auctioneer

Considering how good a card engine buzzard is, I don't think they'll be changing gadgetzan. Rogue will probably see some changes, though

zoukka

I'll honestly miss the deck. It added a bit to the meta. Too bad it kind of reinforced the whole like ~6 of the classes being usable thing, though.

Yeah I love the deck. It's very hard to play, I think it's actually the hardest I've tried to command with Miracle.

Oh well time to dust Zoo I guess. It's not like any of the other classes have chances after the spoiled new cards hit the meta. Power Overwhelming on to Nerubean Egg, yes please.

scy

I think a lot of the hate for rush Hunter blinded some people: The cycle Hunter and midrange Hunter decks are actually super hard to pilot. Tracking is a pretty hard card in complex board state situations, though I do agree with the earlier raised sentiments of it should show the discard for the sake of consistency.

Oh well. I don't think it will kill the class but it certainly hurts the midrange deck a bit as it weakens the 4-5-6 transition.

Q8D3vil

This is the sickest arena draft i ever had.
71ZIaYH.png
10-0 so far

I am new to Hearthstone and have a question. How does one use the emote system without being perceived as a sarcastic asshole, like everyone else I've run across using the emote system? Thank you.
I think the problem is in your head, as I don't believe anyone is being sarcastic while using it.
The closest thing is that sometimes people say "well played" when they are going to finish the opponent off, but that's more of a behavioral code than sarcasm.

The closest thing is that sometimes people say "well played" when they are going to finish the opponent off, but that's more of a behavioral code than sarcasm.

I always say that because I thought it was the polite thing to do to show they'd put up a good fight. I must be doing it wrong :/

I use "Oops" a lot but only with my own stupid moves, not to antagonise anyone. I rarely say "Thanks" because it seems a bit passive-aggressive for a game about murdering each other.

Zeliard

Which is exactly what I said.

But people use it even when the other side didn't really manage to put up a fight, so there is a bit of sarcasm there.

As a Handlock, I get the "thanks" emote thrown at sometimes when the opponent gets me low on health. Makes it more amusing when they concede after I start throwing taunted giants at them.

pringles

I don't get the nerf to UTH. I think they should have looked at what exactly makes it such a good card. Would have preferred Hunter's Mark nerfed from 0 to 1 mana cost, or possibly even revamping the Buzzard or Hyena in some way. The combos is what makes it OP, not the card in itself which is basically a fan of knives.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
As someone who mainly plays Hunter, I'm perfectly fine with UTH being bumped up to 3 mana, It's admittedly OPed.

Kosma

Banned
I don't get the nerf to UTH. I think they should have looked at what exactly makes it such a good card. Would have preferred Hunter's Mark nerfed from 0 to 1 mana cost, or possibly even revamping the Buzzard or Hyena in some way. The combos is what makes it OP, not the card in itself which is basically a fan of knives.

Its not really anything like fan of knives since you are creating 1/1 tokens with charge based on the number of enemy minions.

How is this the same ad doing 1 dmg to each enemy?

I agree that its synergy is what makes it so good though.

They cant revamp all cards that synergize though!

pringles

As someone who mainly plays Hunter, I'm perfectly fine with UTH being bumped up to 3 mana, It's admittedly OPed.
I play almost exclusively Hunter as well, I thought UTH was fine at 4 mana, insane at 2 and will be great at 3 too. Would have just preffered it if they looked at some of the other Hunter cards for changes.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I play almost exclusively Hunter as well, I thought UTH was fine at 4 mana, insane at 2 and will be great at 3 too. Would have just preffered it if they looked at some of the other Hunter cards for changes.
I definitely agree UTH wasn't the sole issue, there are a few with Hunter. It's just going to be difficult to address them without completely throwing the Hunter class of tilt. Right now it seems like bumping up the UTH cost is the easiest way to address it at the moment.

Raising the mana cost does nerf the combo. That's the difference between adding a Timber Wolf and the extra turn buys opponents more time to defend against the inevitable.

pringles

Raising the mana cost does nerf the combo. That's the difference between adding a Timber Wolf and the extra turn buys opponents more time to defend against the inevitable.
It does, and maybe it does a bigger difference than I expect. I simply wanted a more interesting change to Hunters than saying "we buffed this card too much, let's nerf it again". Like I said, Hunter's Mark should be 1 mana. Humility is a 1 cost card that imo is less powerful for Paladins.

Flayer

An extra turn is absolutely massive. Hunter is completely finished vs Zoo/Murlocks now, you'll barely see Hunters on ladder after this nerf and the ones you do will be that old to-the-face aggro build.

Taz

I just wish they would add a reply mode so I could watch games and see mistakes and improve on what mistakes I made, as it stands at the moment most the time I'm left thinking oh my god he beat me because of RNG but it's probably my own fault.

Ken

NONE SHALL PASS.

I just wish they would add a reply mode so I could watch games and see mistakes and improve on what mistakes I made, as it stands at the moment most the time I'm left thinking oh my god he beat me because of RNG but it's probably my own fault.

Can't you just use OBS and do local recording or something.

Ken

But I still can't see what cards they draw , you can only learn so much from seeing it from one perspective

Ah, true. Although I'm not sure how being able to see the opponent's hand will help you in future games.

/shrug

Zakalwe

Banned
Got into this recently, it's really fun. But I feel like there's really zero advantage for starting first, while starting second is almost always more advantageous, I get getting the coin card, but getting another card on top of that is a bit much.

It balances the fact the first player will get an extra crystal first every time aside from one round.

Coin has a slight advantage statistically, which I personally think could be fixed by removing it being a spell.

No, statistics show the starting layer has a higher win rate. It's not far from even.

I would have rather seen Buzzard's card draw activating on beast death rather than beast summon. Fits the theme of a "starving buzzard" more too. You are rewarded after feeding it.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
So far in all 3 seasons Ranked has been going the same way for me. Get a deck that really works, power through to rank 12 in a single win streak, then hit a giant brick wall, win nothing at all and get set beck to >15 in one giant loss streak. Y U DO THIS TO ME HEARTHSTONE? ;(

UTH at 3 mana is probably the sweet spot. When it was 4 no one played it and it was considered useless. 2 mana and now it's OP, we'll see how it is at 3.

It balances the fact the first player will get an extra crystal first every time aside from one round.

No, statistics show the starting layer has a higher win rate. It's not far from even.

To expand on these two points... It's not even that player one has an extra crystal every turn, it's that player 1 will always have a full turn of extra mana to counter player 2's actions.

Mana at the start of a turn as player 1 versus player 2.

Turn 1, player one starts with one mana and "counters" player 2's zero.

Turn 2, player one has had 3 (1 + 2) total mana to counter player 2's 1 or 2 mana (if they used coin)

Turn 3, player one has had 6 total mana to counter player 2's 3 or 4

Essentially, player 2 is always playing mana "catch up." Only getting an equal amount of mana to player 1 on their turn, where as player 1 always has a full turn's worth of total mana lead.

As of last stats posted by blizz coin win rate (by class) was ranging between 46-49% with Rogue and mage being closest to 50%.

Tash

So, trying my hands at custom decks - not doing too well yet because I suck and am still a total noob..
Whenever I lose it's always super tight and comes down to draw luck. I think I might need Acolyte of pain for some more draws and one Argute Commander maybe for a high level charge? I am thinking of ditching the secrets. They are nice to have the opponent guessing and unsure what to play but they didn't seem to make the difference between win or lose so far.
Feedback is very welcome :)

pxa7fvd.png

Also, I got Lorewalker Cho, who sounds like more of a fun card than anything else? Also, he only dusts for 400 even though he is a legendary? Or is that normal and the 1600 for my other legendary was due to nerfing?
edit: nevermind - he is not a gold frame one - that's the reason I guess :)

Cheech

Out of over a hundred games played, I've only ran into two people who were using emotes in any kind of assholey way.

I usually say "well played" if I had a good game, win or lose. However, I have antagonized people who clearly paid to win, I'll admit. I've spent some money on the game, but some of the decks I've come across? Holy hell. Those people must either play this game as a full time job, or have spent hundreds of dollars. I don't mind tossing an "Oops" their way when I sheep or silence their big money cards. I'm also not as friendly with people playing with the template instawin Warlock or Hunter decks. So I antagonize those people too sometimes.

Does this make me an asshole? Maybe.

arimanius

There's nothing wrong with buying packs. I've done plenty of that and feel the game deserves it..Any game that can get me to play it every day for nearly 1.5 months deserves the positive feedback...

Hasn't made me a better player, but I have more options to have fun w/different deck options.

Didn't mean buy packs was a bad thing. Just that blizzard has done of a good job of tempting me.

The more options is why I am thinking of buying some. Looking at decks online and I don't have most of the expert cards people are using. I try to substitute the best I can sometimes there's just not a good replacement.

Cheech

Didn't mean buy packs was a bad thing. Just that blizzard has done of a good job of tempting me.

The more options is why I am thinking of buying some. Looking at decks online and I don't have most of the expert cards people are using. I try to substitute the best I can sometimes there's just not a good replacement.

There's no shame in spending money on a game you enjoy. I've been playing Clash of Clans for almost 18 months, and I've put maybe $30 into that game. That is a pretty good value!

Water

Vivifrage = Vivafringe, I presume. Thanks - will check it out later.

If pickings are slim in dedicated "strategy" articles or videos, I guess the next question is which streamers/casters/commentators offer the most insight on games as they are played. Any pointers on that front? Of course watching any top-level player play can be educational in itself, but some of them are surely going to be more talkative and better at verbalizing why they are making a given choice.

OK, checked out Vivafringe's guide. It was good, but unfortunately I had most of the contents figured out already. I'm going to be reading / using these next.

http://ihearthu.com/probability-in-hearthstone/
http://ihearthu.com/starting-hand-odds-how-many-two-drops-is-enough/

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Out of over a hundred games played, I've only ran into two people who were using emotes in any kind of assholey way.

I usually say "well played" if I had a good game, win or lose. However, I have antagonized people who clearly paid to win, I'll admit. I've spent some money on the game, but some of the decks I've come across? Holy hell. Those people must either play this game as a full time job, or have spent hundreds of dollars. I don't mind tossing an "Oops" their way when I sheep or silence their big money cards. I'm also not as friendly with people playing with the template instawin Warlock or Hunter decks. So I antagonize those people too sometimes.

Does this make me an asshole? Maybe.

I don't understand how this game can be pay to win unless people just de every card from every pack they buy and craft everything they want. There are people who spend real money on a ton of packs and don't even pull a leg. There are people here who do an 0-3 arena run and get a gold Ysera. It's all totally rng.

As for time factor, I've been playing for about 4 months and have probably 80% of the "main" cards. All of my legendaries except for one were pulled from packs bought with gold. When I drop my gold Cairne after my Sylvanas and Ysera, how can I let someone know I pulled all of these and didn't "pay to win"? Not to mention the card number is so low in this game that it'd be odd for anyone not playing for a few months to not have at least some of the staples. Being skilled in a mode like arena can also reward you with so much gold/packs/random cards that it's quite likely you will pull good cards or have enough stuff o de for cards. And none of this requires money. You're the one who just admitted to spending money. If you had gotten a bunch of playable leg's from what you bought, aren't you the pay to win guy?

Minsc

Gold Member
Healon Drah feels like a great way to mill yourself.

Far too many Priest vs Priest games have been lost by actually having a Northshire Cleric on your side milling you away lol.

At least UTH only draws 3-4 cards on average, I've seen Northshire Clerics draw 10+ over a few turns, not bad for a 1 mana creature.

So far in all 3 seasons Ranked has been going the same way for me. Get a deck that really works, power through to rank 12 in a single win streak, then hit a giant brick wall, win nothing at all and get set beck to >15 in one giant loss streak. Y U DO THIS TO ME HEARTHSTONE? ;(

the problem I was having last night is that I was up against a surprisingly wide variety of decks and most of them were playing bad or unusual cards(actually had a handlock finish me off around taunts using thalnos/drain life\soulfire wtf). then I started playing control warrior for a bit and wasn't getting matched against anyone with weapons so I removed harrison to put in a tazdingo and my very next game was against a shaman who used 2 axes.

I really should be playing rogue but I already have her at 60 and want to get warrior and hunter up there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom