• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sickbean

Far too many Priest vs Priest games have been lost by actually having a Northshire Cleric on your side milling you away lol.

At least UTH only draws 3-4 cards on average, I've seen Northshire Clerics draw 10+ over a few turns, not bad for a 1 mana creature.

Some of my most effortless Priest wins come from getting that card down early and buffing/protecting it with taunts.

yup, that's the optimal way to use them.

That's what i figure, but it's strange, because you can't summon Cruel Taskmaster(for examle) if there is no other minion on the field.
I mean,most minions cannot be summoned if their battlecry cannot be activated,but seems like this one is different.
Also, multishot cannot be activated if your oponent only has one minion.

That's what i figure, but it's strange, because you can't summon Cruel Taskmaster(for examle) if there is no other minion on the field.
I mean,most minions cannot be summoned if their battlecry cannot be activated,but seems like this one is different.

I thought you could summon Cruel Taskmaster with an empty board? I know Dark Iron Dwarf can.

JesseZao

I thought you could summon Cruel Taskmaster with an empty board? I know Dark Iron Dwarf can.

You can. Battlecry just doesn't happen if it's minion targeted. Spells that need a certain target can't be played without those targets on board.

Minsc

Gold Member

Discarding the cards is just something that happens upon using the cards I think, it isn't part of the target of the card. The targeting part is the 4 damage part, like the target part of multishot is hitting 2 random creatures. Soulfire will always have a target to do 4 damage to, so you can always play it.

Battlecries have to target something if there is any target, so if you only had a single 3/1 creature on the board and your opponent had none, you'd have to target your own 3/1 with a Taskmaster if you play it. If there are no targets, the battlecry is ignored I guess, I was a little unclear on that, but that sounds right.

Bizazedo

Battlecries have to target something if there is any target, so if you only had a single 3/1 creature on the board and your opponent had none, you'd have to target your own 3/1 with a Taskmaster if you play it. If there are no targets, the battlecry is ignored I guess, I was a little unclear on that, but that sounds right.

You're right. You can play Taskmaster, Dark Iron Dwarf, crap like that even without a target. You can even play Faceless Manipulator without a target.

Spells like Cleave and Multishot seem to be the main cards that need the targets to be present to be played, but that's due to their card text obviously.

My question. Last night I hit a guy who had 6 cards in his hand and 5 minions out with Vanish. It immediately put everything into his hand. To add to the pain I then Coldlight Oracle'd his ass and laughed uproariously as Cenarius, an Ancient of War, and an Azure Drake burned.

What happens if you push cards into someone's hand, NOT from the deck but from the board, and they're at 10 already though? Can they go to 11?

Reason I ask is I did it to a shaman later and tossed all his totems and crap from the field into his hand and I swore it looked like some of them discarded due to his hand size.

What happens if you push cards into someone's hand, NOT from the deck but from the board, and they're at 10 already though? Can they go to 11?

Reason I ask is I did it to a shaman later and tossed all his totems and crap from the field into his hand and I swore it looked like some of them discarded due to his hand size.

If they had 10 cards in their hand, every minion that gets vanished would die. Their deaths would also trigger deathrattles if they had them.

Grio

Neo Member
You're right. You can play Taskmaster, Dark Iron Dwarf, crap like that even without a target. You can even play Faceless Manipulator without a target.

Spells like Cleave and Multishot seem to be the main cards that need the targets to be present to be played, but that's due to their card text obviously.

My question. Last night I hit a guy who had 6 cards in his hand and 5 minions out with Vanish. It immediately put everything into his hand. To add to the pain I then Coldlight Oracle'd his ass and laughed uproariously as Cenarius, an Ancient of War, and an Azure Drake burned.

Aren't totems considered tokens? If so, then they wouldn't not be placed into their hand, but rather into the discard pile.

Minsc

Gold Member
Aren't totems considered tokens? If so, then they wouldn't not be placed into their hand, but rather into the discard pile.

Tokens go back to the hand, same as minions. They have a casting cost too, just hover over the card and it will show up. I've had totems returned to my hand before mostly with freezing trap, and you can replay them.

Naturalize and Sap and other similar cards become the best hard removal in the game when your opponent has 10 cards, because yes, things are destroyed when they cannot go to your hand.

no.
as soon as you reach 10 cards in your hand, all other cards that follow will be discarded.

The question is if deathrattles trigger off returning a creature to your hand with 10 cards, and I think they will. So if you sap an opponent's Sylvanas its death rattle will trigger and it will steal a creature from you. So I think the cards are actually considered destroyed for the purposes of death rattle, not merely discarded cards.

inky

It doesn't work like that in this game. Every time something takes a place on the board it becomes a "card in play", with all the characteristics other basic cards have, like a mana cost.

There is no "discard pile" either. Cards just vanish after they are discarded/destroyed.

Grio

Neo Member
Tokens go back to the hand, same as minions. They have a casting cost too, just hover over the card and it will show up. I've had totems returned to my hand before mostly with freezing trap, and you can replay them.

Naturalize and Sap and other similar cards become the best hard removal in the game when your opponent has 10 cards, because yes, things are destroyed when they cannot go to your hand.

The question is if deathrattles trigger off returning a creature to your hand with 10 cards, and I think they will. So if you sap an opponent's Sylvanas its death rattle will trigger and it will steal a creature from you. So I think the cards are actually considered destroyed for the purposes of death rattle, not merely discarded cards.

Thanks for the correction. I feel MTG handles these scenarios in a better fashion. Just a personal opinion!

I expect Shamans to make a comeback now that hunters will less common. Plus they do pretty well against control warrior and miracle rogue.

I hate the sorry emote, makes you look like a jackass

I've seen people use it properly... the problem is that the voice itself comes off sarcastic.

For example: If someone went away from their computer for a minute between turns and thus accidently burned down a lot of the timer, I've had people use "sorry" before making their play.

FeD.nL

Damn ramp druid is fun. I've just been sucked back into Hearthstone the past couple of weeks, i'm now saving for Naxx can't wait for that to launch.

FStop7

Banned
Playing the current form of Zoolock feels bad. So easy to build yet so OP.

What's the current decklist?

Started playing a Miracle Rogue variant called Burstdown Pyro last night. If you follow Freegold3's Twitch channel he's always on there testing deck variants. This one is pretty risky in that if you don't pull gadgetzan before turn 4 you're pretty much screwed, but there are a lot of ways to make it happen.

SteveWD40

Only times I use "sorry" (both are of course sarcastic):

- Rush / net aggro deck fails to get it's usual easy turn 5 win and rage concedes the second I pull the heal / taunt that turns the tide.

- When a tight game gets down to the point where I have won, they have top-decked the wrong card and the turn is theirs but they can't win / I have lethal next turn and instead of conceding they just go afk and let the timer run down.

Both are essentially saying "don't be such a sore loser"

Grio

Neo Member
Random question that's a bit off topic, but I figured I'd ask.

Why didn't they include the expansion classes (DK, Monk) for the initial version? I'm sure they have long term plans to implement, but I feel that this would of probably balanced the game a little more by having greater depth.

Why didn't they include the expansion classes (DK, Monk) for the initial version? I'm sure they have long term plans to implement, but I feel that this would of probably balanced the game a little more by having greater depth.

they barely fixed some longstanding and game breaking bugs in time for launch let alone two new classes. it's a small team and that they're just now ramping up.

kingocfs

Everyone I've been playing recently takes fucking FOREVER to make a move. I can't tell if they're trolling me or if they're doing some intensive planning or what. I guess it doesn't help that I tend to play pretty quickly, but c'mon son it's turn 2 just do something.

SteveWD40

Everyone I've been playing recently takes fucking FOREVER to make a move. I can't tell if they're trolling me or if they're doing some intensive planning or what. I guess it doesn't help that I tend to play pretty quickly, but c'mon son it's turn 2 just do something.

Might be lag at their end.

More classes = more complexity. With 9 classes, you have 81 possible match up possibilities, with 10 it's 100. With 11 it's 121. Greater depth does NOT mean greater balance, it means more things that can go wrong.

New arena run as pally. Looking at pagle, beast, and jones. Already got a cult master, Dark dwarf, MCT, faire dragon, Shattered sun cleric, and hammer of wrath. Which do I go for?

New arena run as pally. Looking at pagle, beast, and jones. Already got a cult master, Dark dwarf, MCT, faire dragon, Shattered sun cleric, and hammer of wrath. Which do I go for?

Pagle is worthless. Jones is worthless against 50% of classes and especially against mages who you are likely to go up against extra of. The Beast is a crap legendary, but out of that crap basket of legendaries on offer, it's the best.

Special C

I hate the sorry emote, makes you look like a jackass

Uh oh. Whenever my opponent gets screwed by RNG I usually emote "Sorry" as a genuine sign of "sorry dude, that sucks". But I just realized it's probably taken as sarcasm 90% of the time. Now I feel bad.

ViviOggi

This kid has been taunting all game, I just couldn't resist:
8bF7x5s.jpg

Harrison, easy choice.

Water

More classes = more complexity. With 9 classes, you have 81 possible match up possibilities, with 10 it's 100. With 11 it's 121. Greater depth does NOT mean greater balance, it means more things that can go wrong.

More stuff in the game means more can go wrong with balancing, yes. But adding new classes does not equal an increase of interesting complexity, aka depth.

Balance is required for depth. For instance, if the new classes were so bad they are not worth playing, the depth of the game would not be affected; if one of them was so good that it dominated and retired most of the existing hero roster, it might decrease the depth of the game.

zoukka

Pagle is worthless. Jones is worthless against 50% of classes and especially against mages who you are likely to go up against extra of. The Beast is a crap legendary, but out of that crap basket of legendaries on offer, it's the best.

Beast is no way better than Pagle in any situation.

inky

Well, the thread moved on from it, but fuck it. Here's a few goldens I like:
VDSu6wy.gif
pWTmQ7G.gif
m2mdwA4.gif

And Worgen Infiltrator which was posted already. I also like the 0/2 minions summoned by mirror image. The mirror effect is neat.
Here is a gallery that has most of them: LINK Some of them have really amazing effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom