• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Meh, one Mana will not change much. It still does the same thing and combos just as well as before, only now it's at worst just one turn later than normal. I don't foresee this causing a massive shake-up in Hunter decks or playstyles if any at all. Good thing I saved up all the UTHs I got from packs though. That'll be some nice bit of extra Dust.

Minsc

Gold Member
Meh, one Mana will not change much. It still does the same thing and combos just as well as before, only now it's at worst just one turn later than normal. I don't foresee this causing a massive shake-up in Hunter decks or playstyles if any at all.

Well, 2 more mana would have reset it back to a few months ago when it was a garbage card everyone laughed at... so 1 more mana should do half that?

CoolOff

All of you saying it's an insignificant change, how big of a problem was UTH at 4 mana? Same as now? Let's just give it a few weeks and we can evaluate the effect.

And sorry for shitting up the thread with the DOTC/AOW-thing earlier, of course I know how they differ, I just really disliked the inconsistency.

inky

Whoever recommended Hearthstone Tracker a few pages back, thank you. I like how you can add notes to individual games so I can judge specific match-ups more precisely.

Has been very interesting to keep track of certain things.

Special C

Sorry Guys, this is a repeat post, but it was at the bottom of the page and nobody replied so I thought I'd try it one more time.

I keep having a stupid problem where It shows that it's still my opponents turn and they keep doing the ''I'm thinking'' emote, but then suddenly the game goes through a bunch of turns where I've ran out of time. No disconnected or reconnecting message or anything, just suddenly getting smashed.

Will-Smith-in-Independence-Day-1996-MOvie-Image.jpg

Welcome to Nerf!

Zeroth

Well, 2 more mana would have reset it back to a few months ago when it was a garbage card everyone laughed at... so 1 more mana should do half that?

I guess the point is that if you expect to hit the Hunter meta, you should aim for the other, more dangerous cards like Buzzard. UtH alone is not what makes Hunter so good, it's the cards that can be combo'd with it.

I think the nerf to 3 mana will do wonders. No more 2x UTH on a single turn (at least not easily) and it delays the entire combo at least one turn.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sorry Guys, this is a repeat post, but it was at the bottom of the page and nobody replied so I thought I'd try it one more time.

I keep having a stupid problem where It shows that it's still my opponents turn and they keep doing the ''I'm thinking'' emote, but then suddenly the game goes through a bunch of turns where I've ran out of time. No disconnected or reconnecting message or anything, just suddenly getting smashed.

This generally means your connection had issues/dropped, well something on your end messed up.

I guess the point is that if you expect to hit the Hunter meta, you should aim for the other, more dangerous cards like Buzzard. UtH alone is not what makes Hunter so good, it's the cards that can be combo'd with it.

Yeah, I think a change to Buzzard to make it work like Hyena where it triggers upon a beast dying would have been another possibility. That would prevent them from getting their draws from UTH all at once, and have to spend their hounds to get the buffing wolves which at that point would be pretty worthless as there'd be no more hounds to be buffed to 2/1 or 3/1. It'd also make them be unable to go for your hero if they wanted to draw cards with UTH, they would have to trade their creatures to get cards.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Don't get me wrong, 1 more Mana is definitely a difference, but most Hunters just play 'I'll wait for Starving Buzzard + Hounds / Hounds + Timber Wolf / Hounds + Scavenging Hyena' right now. That playstyle won't change much at all since the only thing that changes is that they must wait one more turn before being able to play it and perhaps the 1 Mana increase counters some of the more crazy double UTH combos in mid-game. It will slow Hunters down a bit, but I think the problem with UTH was how it can combo with even just a single other card for insane value (Insane card-draw with Buzzard / Destroy any minion with Mark / Great burst with Timber / Insane buffing with Hyena / Buffed by Houndmaster for 3/3 Charge Taunt), and it still does all that, just one turn later.

I don't know. We'll see what changes in the weeks after the patch. I hope we'll get to see some more creative Hunter decks.

Fantomex

I just started playing this game last week. Never played a card game before. I get whupped a lot but it's fun even then. How long does it take to build a good deck? and is it possible to build a good deck without succumbing to paying for packs with real moneys?

FStop7

Banned
all the Huntards will migrate to zoo now

Good. They'll tap themselves to death trying to replicate UTH+Buzzard's insane amount of card draw.

Blizzard said:
We do like the idea of decks that have a really big turn and pull off a sweet combo, but when playing against Hunter decks, you may feel punished too much for playing minions. Playing minions is one of the key, fun pieces of the overall Hearthstone puzzle, and feeling like your options are limited by the opponent creates a play experience that may not be particularly enjoyable.

If this is the goal then the nerf doesn't go far enough. They should cap max dogs at 3 or take away charge.

Copenap

I would have prefered the change of the Buzzard so that the Hound tokens don't draw cards at all but I take this change.

Trojan

I just started playing this game last week. Never played a card game before. I get whupped a lot but it's fun even then. How long does it take to build a good deck? and is it possible to build a good deck without succumbing to paying for packs with real moneys?

I just got started too having never played card games before. I absolutely love the game, strategy, and changing meta.

Regarding deck building - look online for the best "basic" decks that use the assigned class cards earned up until level 10. That will give you the best start to deck building. From there, start grinding your favorite one or two classes to earn arena plays and card packs. Do the daily challenges and earn all the achievements you can (free gold). The arena plays are the best bang for your buck if you can consistently get at least 2 wins per arena run (one card pack at least plus gold/dust).

Once you start getting more rare cards, look at other class builds based on those rarer cards. Half the fun in the game is building powerful, exotic, unorthodox decks! Love this game.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
No one ever expects increasing mana cost by 1 to be a significant nerf to a card, but it really is. It's just the consequences aren't immediately obvious when thinking about it on paper.

The UtH nerf is a big deal.

old

Need help deciding here. Do I craft The Black Knight or Baron Geddon.

I'm looking for the one most useful in widest set of decks.

scy

No one ever expects increasing mana cost by 1 to be a significant nerf to a card, but it really is. It's just the consequences aren't immediately obvious when thinking about it on paper.

Pretty much. "One turn later" is the wrong way to think of it as it's more a case of "costs one extra mana." Like, it's not a case of a combo played on curve. You're more looking at what costing one more means for denying in a single turn.

It'll curb some excess power here and there but should still leave the use in place for the existing decks.

Edit: Also, the meta has changed significantly in the past month. Maybe the smaller changes (e.g., shift from aggro-centric Hunters to midrange, rise of Ramp Druid and Miracle Rogue, etc.) mean more to me than others/ Dunno.

Raxus

Pretty much. "One turn later" is the wrong way to think of it as it's more a case of "costs one extra mana." Like, it's not a case of a combo played on curve. You're more looking at what costing one more means for denying in a single turn.

It'll curb some excess power here and there but should still leave the use in place for the existing decks.

Basically. At 4 mana it was too expensive to use but the potential was there and at 2 it was used in crazy combos and was hard to counter with cards life the wolf, hunters mark, and buzzard. (1,0,2 mana respectively) meaning you could pull off CRAZY combos with little to no mana.

That being said while hunters are slightly nerfed it is discouraging cards like Doomguard, Warlock power, etc. were largely untouched (so far).

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Increasing the mana costs of the freeze spells a few months ago is proof of that.

scy

Basically. At 4 mana it was too expensive to use but the potential was there and at 2 it was used in crazy combos and was hard to counter with cards life the wolf, hunters mark, and buzzard. (1,0,2 mana respectively) meaning you could pull off CRAZY combos with little to no mana.

That being said while hunters are slightly nerfed it is discouraging cards like Doomguard, Warlock power, etc. were largely untouched (so far).

They don't really need to be nerfed, though. Like, the meta itself can sort itself out. Hunter aggro had already declined a bit due to the rise in Control Warrior awhile back until was replaced by the midrange Hunter. Hunter aggro is making a comeback since it is hands-down the best counter to Miracle Rogue so we'll probably see a rise in Control Warrior again ... which will lead back into the midrange Hunter to deal with Control Warrior and the anti-weapon tech decks. It's rather cyclical.

I'm not sure what people are expecting when the meta shifts, though. Maybe I'm just satisfied with these small changes and people are expecting complete radical redesigns to decks.

jkanownik

Shitty luck in my lunchtime play session. Started with buying 15 packs full of crap. Ended with my opponent dropping a legendary in arena while I drew two innervates at 10 mana.

Zeroth

Increasing the mana costs of the freeze spells a few months ago is proof of that.

To be honest, that was a increase to all spells, most of which were used on the turn they could be cast. UtH is a combo card and only one of the key pieces to the combo, which plays a bit differently.

scy

To be honest, that was a increase to all spells, most of which were used on the turn they could be cast. UtH is a combo card and only one of the key pieces to the combo, which plays a bit differently.

Well, there's some differences. At 5 mana for Buzzard+UtH, it makes for a crowded turn 6 transition turn and that's usually when a bigger threat hits the board as opposed to being able to doing it on turn 4 and setting up on turn 5 for the turn 6. Kind of moves everything the Hunter does by a turn and crowds the pivotal mid-range drop turn.

It also drops the biggest burst option out (Leeroy 2x UtH Timber Wolf) and delays the generic finisher by a turn (Leeroy + UtH + Kill Command is now 10 not 9).

And just generally speaking, 5 mana Buzzard+UtH means you want 3 minions to get full value. 2 isn't enough.

Edit: Also, in hindsight, I'd say the Freeze change was probably an overnerf :x It did basically the same as above but on multiple turns. The Mage losing vital turns repeatedly really sucked for that deck + more natural counters popping up in the meta game.

I agree that freeze was overnerfed. They should have started by changing one of those cards and then waiting and seeing how it played out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom