• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well typically aren't most F2P games, technically free but they highly encourage paying to play. they kind of make it a pain in the ass to play for free, so you just end up paying. That's all I'm saying. I don't think Blizzard has done enough to make it a pain the ass to play for free and the rewards for paying aren't great enough in comparison to playing for free.
It's really not a big deal. The people who get really into it and spend money will spend money. Pretty sure I put in $400 in TF2 by now.

$0 spent. But I'm sorely tempted to spend money. Sorely. Tempted.

Same. 50+ packs opened and only one Legendary tries on a man's soul.

I'll pay for the single-player "wings" when they open rather than hoarding gold though; spending money on guaranteed cards make more sense to me than doing it just to gamble it.

inky

Sounds like you're poor and spending 20 bucks might wipe out your EBT card. ;P

How good could I be if I used a hunter? I'll never know because playing an op'ed class isn't appealing. Got to rank 11 w/aggro pally first month...rank 11 second month w/a variation of a miracle rogue...this month trying a priest that's fun to play but not necessarily that great...at rank 17 w/that...So I'm not the best, but not the worst..I win more than 50% of my according to HT...But that's not enough to make real progress. I hit a wall based on the time of the month..

Who cares about hunter? Several other classes can make it to Legend if that is what you are after, some of them for free or close to free. $200 sounds like more than enough to craft a couple of good decks and play those. Just dust any card you are not using and build the deck that allows you to get there. Warlock, Shaman, Druid, Rogue are all good choices. If you just want to play your own fun decks then what does it matter you don't climb as high as you think you should solely for the money spent?

What exactly do you want to pay for to make it "fair" for you? 10 extra health? Free stars for every $10 you pay so you can pay your way up from 10 to 1? The game is mostly fine as it is. I don't see the big deal.

It's really not a big deal. The people who get really into it and spend money will spend money. Pretty sure I put in $400 in TF2 by now.

I've spent $400+ on Marvel Heroes already, and that isn't even a competitive game =S This game has a ton of cards, and crafting full foil decks is extremely expensive so yes, if people want to they can sink a grand in here no problem.

Well typically aren't most F2P games, technically free but they highly encourage paying to play. they kind of make it a pain in the ass to play for free, so you just end up paying. That's all I'm saying. I don't think Blizzard has done enough to make it a pain the ass to play for free and the rewards for paying aren't great enough in comparison to playing for free.

I think you're a bit off about f2ps. Most successful f2ps I have played do not require you to make purchases or even make it a pain in the ass to play for free. That would be the wrong way to run a f2p. Paying should be more of a choice than not.

I think Blizzard has hit a bit of a sweet spot due to the crafting system, daily quests, and arena. Daily quests make it so you get a whole lot of rewards for a shorter period of time. This actually reduces the amount of play time required over a larger period of time. Arenas is pretty obvious, you can earn a lot of gold over a short period of time if you play well. Blizzard really rewards you for playing well; I don't see that in a lot of f2ps.

As for paying not being rewarding, well... I really beg to differ. 50 bucks goes quite a long way towards filling your library. That is quite a jump ahead imo, probably saving you weeks of progression.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I want to spend money but I don't really enjoy deck building and outside of following what guides say I suck at it.

I'd pay 20$ for an unlimited arena pass or maybe 5$ for an unlimited month? though because picking card by card means my deck sucks but its way more interesting.

2$ per arena try? Fuck that.

JesseZao

I want to spend money but I don't really enjoy deck building and outside of following what guides say I suck at it.

I'd pay 20$ for an unlimited arena pass or maybe 5$ for an unlimited month? though because picking card by card means my deck sucks but its way more interesting.

2$ per arena try? Fuck that.

The cash option for arena is just a release valve for impatient/unsuccessful players. They'd be dumb to not offer it. Buying packs is the primary focus for money making.

I spent $30 on packs, and only got 1 Legendary, and it's the priest Legendary @_@

I'm not planning on spending anymore money, though I did find some ITunes gift cards in my closet. Once the iPhone version comes out, I'll use the gift cards to get some more packs.

I spent $30 on packs, and only got 1 Legendary, and it's the priest Legendary @_@

I'm not planning on spending anymore money, though I did find some ITunes gift cards in my closet. Once the iPhone version comes out, I'll use the gift cards to get some more packs.

Velen is amazing with mind blasts for maximum gimmicks

sohois

I never play Priest, I guess I could give it a try.

I wouldn't actually make a Priest deck with mind blast, they're pretty awful cards for Priest so you're really reliant on being able to get Velen out for a few turns to cast them both. Velen works well in a number of Priest Decks, you don't need Mind blast.

Miletius

On the topic of spending -- I'll throw down a few bucks when there is a new promotion. I don't feel like my library is very epic (in fact, I'm missing a lot of cards) but I also don't feel the need to spend much more money. On the other hand, if they start doing promotions like a special card again, I'll throw down, just to have a copy. Not much, mind you, but I like that aspect.

I wouldn't actually make a Priest deck with mind blast, they're pretty awful cards for Priest so you're really reliant on being able to get Velen out for a few turns to cast them both. Velen works well in a number of Priest Decks, you don't need Mind blast.

If you are playing Velen you might as well stick MB in, IMO. Only 2 cards and it's 2 mana for 5/10 damage, and can theoretically be cast the same turn you bring him out. You could also couple him with Holy fire on the next turn for 20 damage. It's a very tempting victory condition.

Tarazet

So I got Captain Greenskin out of my daily booster today. I play Control Warrior. That is loads of fun.. the first game that I got to play him, I used the same Fiery War Axe to kill a turn 1 Northshire Cleric and two Azure Drakes, plus he soaked a removal spell. Absolutely outstanding value.

zoukka

I rarely play constructed, so I have no reason to spend any money on HS. Not that I would mind if a good reason emerged, like the expansion wings. If I don't have enough gold and can't grind it in a reasonable time perioud, I'll just put in real money for the unlocks.

Packs feel like a very bad investment in HS because duplicates don't matter beyond 2 and you can't trade.

Tarazet

I rarely play constructed, so I have no reason to spend any money on HS. Not that I would mind if a good reason emerged, like the expansion wings. If I don't have enough gold and can't grind it in a reasonable time perioud, I'll just put in real money for the unlocks.

Packs feel like a very bad investment in HS because duplicates don't matter beyond 2 and you can't trade.

I bought 50 packs while the game was still in closed beta, and ever since then I've just done quests and opened packs. I don't even do arena, just constructed. But I've gotten Grommash, Antonidas, Cairne, Ragnaros, Alexstrasza, Malygos, Onyxia, and today Captain Greenskin.. and been able to gradually craft all the rares and epics I needed to play the decks that I like to use. And of course, from playing Garrosh so much I have all his gold common cards.. the golden weapons are especially fearsome-looking.

I'm really happiest that I opened a golden Grom. That is one great-looking card.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I bought 50 packs while the game was still in closed beta, and ever since then I've just done quests and opened packs. I don't even do arena, just constructed. But I've gotten Grommash, Antonidas, Cairne, Ragnaros, Alexstrasza, Malygos, Onyxia, and today Captain Greenskin.. and been able to gradually craft all the rares and epics I needed to play the decks that I like to use. And of course, from playing Garrosh so much I have all his gold common cards.. the golden weapons are especially fearsome-looking.

I'm really happiest that I opened a golden Grom. That is one great-looking card.
lol, that's the only card I've disenchanted.

Tarazet

lol, that's the only card I've disenchanted.

I understand why, but nothing feels better than dropping him with Inner Rage and smashing some Priest in the face for lethal. He's just won way too many games for me to consider blowing him up.

sohois

On the topic of spending -- I'll throw down a few bucks when there is a new promotion. I don't feel like my library is very epic (in fact, I'm missing a lot of cards) but I also don't feel the need to spend much more money. On the other hand, if they start doing promotions like a special card again, I'll throw down, just to have a copy. Not much, mind you, but I like that aspect.

If you are playing Velen you might as well stick MB in, IMO. Only 2 cards and it's 2 mana for 5/10 damage, and can theoretically be cast the same turn you bring him out. You could also couple him with Holy fire on the next turn for 20 damage. It's a very tempting victory condition.

Way too conditional, plus since Priests are built around control, a lot of the time even 20 dmg won't be enough for a straight win. Most of the time you are going to be left with 2 dead cards in your hand.

-

Just came up against a fucking perfect Hunter in Arena. Bad enough to come up against those muppets in constructed, let alone Arena. Not only that, even the RNG was for him, his two Animal companions summoned two of the charge beasts, whose name I forget.

sibarraz

Banned
I'm staring to like rogue and warlock. I don't had amazing cards there but I had fun with them, and seem more viable than pally

CoolOff

Man, this aggro-Mage stuff is the strangest to play against. They're just "okay screw the board, I'll spend my turn tossing another Fireball at your face. oh, taunt? not really an issue."

I guess zoo has to punish it pretty hard.

Oh man, just had the following 4-turn victory in arena...

Turn 1: Coin + Knife Juggler
Turn 2: Sorcerer's Apprentice + 0-cost Mirror Image + 0-cost Mirror Image = 5 knives thrown
Turn 3: Harvest Golem
Turn 4: Acidic Swamp Ooze, Forfeit

So. Damn. Fun.

hearthstone_mirror_1.jpg

hearthstone_mirror_2.jpg

hearthstone_mirror_3.jpg

sohois

Oh man, just had the following 4-turn victory in arena...

Turn 1: Coin + Knife Juggler
Turn 2: Sorcerer's Apprentice + 0-cost Mirror Image + 0-cost Mirror Image = 5 knives thrown
Turn 3: Harvest Golem
Turn 4: Acidic Swamp Ooze, Forfeit

So. Damn. Fun.

Must have had a garbage draft to forfeit from that position

FStop7

Banned
Had a terrible arena run with what I thought was going to be a killer mage deck. Went 2-3 right after going 6-3 with a terrible Priest deck.

But I got a Pagle out of the pack from my crappy mage run so that made up for it. I think I might keep him for a while just for novelty value.

Xanathus

Had a terrible arena run with what I thought was going to be a killer mage deck. Went 2-3 right after going 6-3 with a terrible Priest deck.

But I got a Pagle out of the pack from my crappy mage run so that made up for it. I think I might keep him for a while just for novelty value.

I generally notice that I get more rares and legendaries out of the packs from bad arena runs.

splattered

My friend finally convinced me to DL this on the ipad and give it a shot... never really played this type of game before outside of Eye of Judgment (Yes I know its not exactly the same)

Unlocked everything in practice mode, have fully unlocked Mage and Shaman, and have been tinkering around with Warlock a bit. Refuse to spend real money on the game at this point. I probably win 1 to every 3 matches online in casual and ranked i do worse. Most wins I've gotten in Arena so far is 2. Ugh.

I suck at this shit! Priest destroys me almost every time I play against him and it pisses me off when I have to face him. Heal Heal Taunt Heal Taunt Heal Taunt Taunt. What the hell kind of unbalanced bullshit is this? And I'm supposed to craft a card as Shaman to be able to do AOE damage? Well tough shit for me, I already crafted some cards and don't have enough dust left to create the Lightning Blast card or whatever it's called.

I started doing really well with Shaman and even had people giving up early in matches but then my friend suggested I look up a pre-designed deck online and try it and now I'm losing again. I can't even remember what all cards I had before.

This shit is frustrating! I do really bad against characters that constantly heal and throw down lots of taunts.

Any advice for Shaman is greatly appreciated (Outside of spend money of course heh)

My friend finally convinced me to DL this on the ipad and give it a shot... never really played this type of game before outside of Eye of Judgment (Yes I know its not exactly the same)

Unlocked everything in practice mode, have fully unlocked Mage and Shaman, and have been tinkering around with Warlock a bit. Refuse to spend real money on the game at this point. I probably win 1 to every 3 matches online in casual and ranked i do worse. Most wins I've gotten in Arena so far is 2. Ugh.

I suck at this shit! Priest destroys me almost every time I play against him and it pisses me off when I have to face him. Heal Heal Taunt Heal Taunt Heal Taunt Taunt. What the hell kind of unbalanced bullshit is this? And I'm supposed to craft a card as Shaman to be able to do AOE damage? Well tough shit for me, I already crafted some cards and don't have enough dust left to create the Lightning Blast card or whatever it's called.

I started doing really well with Shaman and even had people giving up early in matches but then my friend suggested I look up a pre-designed deck online and try it and now I'm losing again. I can't even remember what all cards I had before.

This shit is frustrating! I do really bad against characters that constantly heal and throw down lots of taunts.

Any advice for Shaman is greatly appreciated (Outside of spend money of course heh)

If you are just starting, level each of the 9 characters to 10, this unlocks all their basic cards, gives you some knowledge on them, and you get 100 gold. Then work on being able to beat each of the expert A.I. characters. That will give you another 100 gold. You also have a free arena run you can do that will guarantee you a pack plus more gold depending on how well you do (take a look at some arena guides for some guidance). Finally watch some twitch/youtube videos. When just starting you need to learn about the various cards types, this is very valuable.

As for Shaman, here is a link to Trumps "free" to play Shaman deck:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/39692-trump-free-to-play-shaman

Some of those cards you won't have, you need to disenchant the unimportant cards you get from the packs you get from your arena run(s) or from the packs you "purchase" from the gold you get from what I listed above and craft them. Work towards that and do your quests.

Truth be told though, a zoo Warlock deck is very "cheap" and is much more viable (Shaman isn't very good right now)

I noticed..

The rise of miracle Rogue has brought them back out

Playing a variation of ramp druid really makes me appreciate the importance of card advantage. It's not like miracle rogue where you need to assemble ammo for your combo and once you have the right cards and the required mana you initiate, but rather just dealing with threats and keeping board control with the most efficient use of cards til your opponent runs out of answers. So many single-digit HP comebacks because my opponent got desperate and let their combo fly when they knew it wasn't lethal, and ran out of cards to deal with my big minions.

Minsc

Gold Member
Nah, if you don't draw mass removal, you can very easily just die to multiple mirror images while Apprentices/Wyrms smash face. It's not uncommon.

Yeah, if you let a mage get any sort of tempo going on the board, where they have 3+ damage to hit you with per turn and you can't remove it, you're probably going to lose. Add in few fireballs to the face, frostbolts and that's about it. It's a bad thing when a mage sees attacking your hero with spells as a quicker win than clearing the board, and all that takes is ~10 or so damage early on.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Is there are logical reason why silence doesn't work on Ragnaros?

It silences his random damage at the end of turns, but also silences his "cannot attack" text, so he turns into an 8/8 vanilla creature. Pretty much never want to do it except in certain situations where you can hold him off with a taunt.

Sickbean

It silences his random damage at the end of turns, but also silences his "cannot attack" text, so he turns into an 8/8 vanilla creature. Pretty much never want to do it except in certain situations where you can hold him off with a taunt.

it silences his ability but lets him attack. It's why big game hunter is such a popular card, because it deals well with rag, alex, and giants.

Makes sense!

sohois

Nah, if you don't draw mass removal, you can very easily just die to multiple mirror images while Apprentices/Wyrms smash face. It's not uncommon.

Yeah, if you let a mage get any sort of tempo going on the board, where they have 3+ damage to hit you with per turn and you can't remove it, you're probably going to lose. Add in few fireballs to the face, frostbolts and that's about it. It's a bad thing when a mage sees attacking your hero with spells as a quicker win than clearing the board, and all that takes is ~10 or so damage early on.

Ah, I didn't really register that he was playing as a mage, makes more sense from that sense given the mage advantage in arena. Still, one would assume that a draw without any mass removal would count as a garbage draw anyway?

-

Going back to Constructed, just came off like a 7-8 game win streak, climbed like 4 ranks up to 14. Absurd situation really, made a Paladin deck for the first time ever(sans using basic to get to rank 10) to do a quest, won easily in casual and decided to try my luck in ranked. Then just didn't stop winning. Noticeable uptick in legendaries at rank 15, including one Warrior who had like 5 - managed to beat him on the final turn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom