• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Just had the most hilarious comeback. This Druid was constantly killing everything I had on the board and eventually brought me down to 5 health (+ punching through what must have been 10 armor-points in total). Eventually I got an Armorsmith on the field, which he left alone, and play Shield Block + Armor Up (+ 7 Armor). He plays Ancient of Lore (Draw cards) and heals back to 28 with Healing Touch. I play Shield Slam to kill AoL, an Acolyte of Pain, a Faceless Manipulator my Amorsmith and Armor Up (+2 Armor). He plays Swipe... on my Acolyte. I get 6 armor and draw Whirlwind. He then plays Bloodmage Thalnos and Defender of Argus after a long pause. I draw the second Armorsmith in my deck. Play Armorsmith, Kill Thalnos with the Gorehowl I had still equipped, Whirlwind (+ 9 armor), and drive two of the Armorsmiths into Argus to kill it (+ 5 armor) and Armor Up (+ 2 armor).

Then he just sat there and eventually exploded, giving me a prompt that the opponent had left. Hilarious.
COyJTsR.jpg

Mareg

Lol OK priests. Guy had a 2/7 minion. Then played a card to add 3 health. Then played a card to double it. Then one last card to match his attack to his health. Ended up 18/18 minion after the 4th turn

I actually did that exact play this very morning. I'm not even sorry. *well played*

dan2026

I feel like its going to take me a long time to get a decent amount of cards.

100 gold per pack is no joke.

Ah well, the curse of the free to play.

Alrus

Just got the worst arena deck I've ever seen and obviously ended up doing a 0-3 arena run, I feel so depressed lol. I like doing ranked games but I'm starting to feel the lack of rarer cards. Maybe I should just spend my gold on decks and forget about doing arena runs for now.

Volimar

Just got the worst arena deck I've ever seen and obviously ended up doing a 0-3 arena run, I feel so depressed lol. I like doing ranked games but I'm starting to feel the lack of rarer cards. Maybe I should just spend my gold on decks and forget about doing arena runs for now.

I've had drafts so awful I didn't even want to play them. I've come so close to just retiring before even playing a single match. But you never know when you might get a win or two...

Yeah the arena sucks. It's a shame it's the only decent way to get gold in this game.

TxdoHawk

I really like arena, but I think you need a really high tolerance for bullshit. The random nature of drafts means you are inevitably going to have those days where you go 0-3 thanks to a shit draft matchmade to people who puled thirty cards worth of godlike.

I was thinking about what could alleviate this, and I think there's options, but off the top of my head...if you get smashed 0-2 right off the bat, I'd love to see an option where you get a couple of random "sympathy cards" that you are allowed to sub into your draft deck in an attempt to improve it.

Grio

Neo Member

Save your gold for the PVE content, you'll get more value out of it. Yeah, I had a few bad drafts back to back myself. Tough to lose all that gold and have to play some ranked to recover the losses. Q.Q

Grio

Neo Member
I really like arena, but I think you need a really high tolerance for bullshit. The random nature of drafts means you are inevitably going to have those days where you go 0-3 thanks to a shit draft matchmade to people who puled thirty cards worth of godlike.

I was thinking about what could alleviate this, and I think there's options, but off the top of my head...if you get smashed 0-2 right off the bat, I'd love to see an option where you get a couple of random "sympathy cards" that you are allowed to sub into your draft deck in an attempt to improve it.

Stats and variance is based on numbers, not emotions. :p

No, I honestly think that'd be a good idea, the prize difference between 0-3 and 1-3 is pretty big I would assume.

zoukka

Don't worry, I consider myself pretty adept at arena, but I had a 0-3 run too last week. I feel like I was tired and at the same time the RNG was pretty bad. Combine this with bad matchup luck and yeah it feels terrible to end that run.

In the long term though you'll learn a lot about the basic fundamentals of TCG gameplay in arena. I'd say its more beneficial in every way than doing nothing but constructed.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
You only need like 2-3 wins to get about 50 gold/dust which breaks you even with the pack you get. Even if you suck you only really lost 50g which is nothing. The fun of arena is not playing against the common premade decks. The downside is the rng nature of more than two copies of staple cards that can really shift the balance.

The best mode will always be casual.

Alrus

I'm not worried too much heh (well it didn't help that the cards I got from that run were mostly bad), my first arena run went pretty well (I got Ysera which is quite fun to play) been going downhill afterwards but I'm having fun playing casual and trying priest decks. Divine Spirit+Inner Fire is fun. Still not sure my deck is perfect (I have 2 Ogre Magit that I don't find that useful but am not sure sure what to replace them with.

Save your gold for the PVE content, you'll get more value out of it. Yeah, I had a few bad drafts back to back myself. Tough to lose all that gold and have to play some ranked to recover the losses. Q.Q

When is the PvE content coming? I think I'd get bored after a while if I don't get a few new cards from time to time.

Minsc

Gold Member
When is the PvE content coming? I think I'd get bored after a while if I don't get a few new cards from time to time.

They said it would be Summer, a few more months most likely with no changes in the ladder play (as far as new cards, meta changes all the time) - then a long time still before a real expansion which truly mixes things up. They'll make an announcement when things are further along for the PVE content, which leads me to believe it won't release until July/August.

SteveWD40

I treat the Arena as a Roguelike, you will have some great runs (9 is my best) and some howlers (0-3), even when you know how to draft it can still suck at times.

I like the randomness though, rather than facing the same decks over and over or having to play certain cards.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Cmon guys.. it's rogue.. not rouge. This isn't trade chat.

I really wish there was a caster weapon. Atiesh or something.

Lyng

I actually did that exact play this very morning. I'm not even sorry. *well played*

I had a guy do that today in a priest mirror match...Followed by the super mature "Sorry" emote...

So I played Faceless Manipulator and Shadow Word: Death...

Fun times....

I love that feeling of lining up your games to match the quests. Watching 3 splash screens with various amounts of gold pop up feels too good.

Also having fun with my weapon heavy Warrior deck. It's lacking in AOE effects which is why I threw an Abomination in there (also doubles as a trigger for the 2 Spiteful Smiths). I feel like the fiery war axes deal with early board presence, the Arathi comes in handy for tackling early/mid-game stuff while the Gorehowl and Arcanites just either get rid of something big or finish up the game. Always handy having the upgrade in there too.

Minsc

Gold Member
There was an interesting thread about class cards (sort of a rant too) on the official forums by one of the vips, Mand, if anyone is looking for a little light reading on what could make the game more interesting:

With Adventure mode imminent, we get the first new cards for Hearthstone since launch. [...]

It's definitely understandable to add a new neutral card. Everybody can use it! Yay! But the downside is that everybody can use it. It is critical to Hearthstone's identity as a game that the classes have an identity of their own.

[...]

What we know of Adventure mode so far is that there are 30 new cards added, but only one class card each. That means one new card for your class, and 21 more neutral minions that are likely to be competitive for precious deck slots with your existing class cards. That ratio is rather off, to me, and the ratio is only going to get worse as time goes on.

A secondary point is the ratio between class minions and other class cards (spells and weapons). Minions are the core of the game, and class minions are the really defining aspects most of the time. But beyond the impact on class identity, having more class minions means more things to compete directly with neutral minions. If you need a minion, and you have a choice between a neutral minion and a spell, you pick the minion. It would be far too easy to add new spells, because spells are fun. But if new class cards are coming so incredibly rarely, then just adding new spells will make the existing problem even worse.

In short, we need more class cards, not more neutral minions. At least, not in the ratio that seems to be upcoming.

He touches on decks all sharing too many of the same neutral cards, the lack of class minions cards, and the worry over a single class card in the PVE adventure not really doing a good job of adding much needed diversity to the game, which I agree with. Though I suppose I'd argue the PVE adventure's goal isn't solely to expand the game, that is more the goal of an actual expansion, which is probably not hitting for ~6+ months.

I don't necessarily agree that decks run the same neutral cards to the point they don't even use class cards (he comments about being able to run the same exact deck over six classes and it playing out the same).

But I think he has a point about the PVE content, we're getting a single class card. And a whole ton of neutrals. The more and more that happens, the less and less we'll see variation in decks. And if that one class card isn't even too useful for your build, well then you're out of luck for quite some time.

soldat7

I feel like its going to take me a long time to get a decent amount of cards.

100 gold per pack is no joke.

Ah well, the curse of the free to play.

There are three viable options though:

1) Pay real money

2) Complete daily quests for between 40 and 60 (occasionally 100) gold. This nets you an average of 3-5 packs per week. Remember, you also get 10 gold for every 3 wins with the same hero.

3) Spend your gold in the arena to accelerate your packs and gold potential. Lots of Arena tips out there.

And don't forget the achievements. Look these up and go after them for even more gold.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
There was an interesting thread about class cards (sort of a rant too) on the official forums by one of the vips, Mand, if anyone is looking for a little light reading on what could make the game more interesting:
I do think there is a danger in having too high of a neutral to class card ratio, but I don't feel like we're there right now. Miracle Rogue, Control Warrior, Mid range Hunter, Zoo, Ramp Druid; these things have completely different identities to them and are completely different to play as and against.

It is more of a problem in arena I supposed where you can't rely on synergy between class cards or cute tricks and just want beefy minions to punch things with.

inky

I don't necessarily agree that decks run the same neutral cards to the point they don't even use class cards (he comments about being able to run the same exact deck over six classes and it playing out the same).

I also disagree, but I think there is also a problem of class card value relative to one another. Hunter with the crazy synergy runs a core of Hunter-only cards, and it is powerful. Compared to something like Warlock, where the best decks are built around neutral cards because their hero ability is the best in the game and that's mostly what they need.

Not that Warlock needs buffs, but certain class card re-balance would work more towards deck variety. Everybody complains about Doomguard, but no one gave him the time of day until Zoo became popular. I'm more worried about cards like Succubus, Fellguard, etc. that are just basically dead picks. I definitely think some (maybe new, and more powerful) class minions would work better in the long run towards deck identity. But in the end, this complaint is in the same vein of all the others: the game just needs more cards.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
How do warriors get a Fiery War Axe in their opening hand EVERY SINGLE GAME?!?!?
If you have 2x of a card like fiery war axe, go second, and mulligan for it, I believe you have something like a 57% chance to have it by turn 2. It is surprising how much the mulligan lets you control your opening and why it is one of the most important decisions of every game.

When playing miracle rogue, having your opponent concede while you spend the 30 seconds you need to actually play out your lethal turn is the worst. I want to see that extra big shake when my 19 attack mana addict hits you!

I've never gone beyond 5 in arena, but I was really close once with a Paladin deck (bunch of "reduce opponent to 1 attack" stuff).

Speaking of Paladin, I always play my Blessing of Wisdom on enemy 3-4 attack creatures early game. Usually tends to stop players from using those creatures to attack me, and gives me space to breathe and plan towards a combo. Also works mid-game against 6-7 attack creatures in a clutch, as it makes it more likely for me to come back the worse I am off thanks to the extra card draw.

Mareg

How do warriors get a Fiery War Axe in their opening hand EVERY SINGLE GAME?!?!?

Yeah I was wondering the same this morning when I went 7 games in a row as a Priest with the cleric card in every opening hand.
The probability must be insanely low even with 2x the card in my deck.

krossj

Opponent has 1 card on the board and 10 health, can cause 4 damage . I have 5 cards, 4 health and around 16 damage on the board. They play Brawl at the end of the turn and unsurprisingly with the way my matches are going it destroys my five and not their one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom