• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
Because all druid decks have like the same cards, except some have the treants + Savage roar, some don't.

oh yeah that's a druid-specific problem though due to the mighty savage roar combo. There's also burst mage, UtH hunter, gromm + enrage, miracle rogue and shaman leeroy decks. Against most decks you should be pretty save if the health stays above 16

scy

I'll get to that Arena post when I get the time~

Well I can't predict what combo they have, unless it's blatantly obvious like miracle rogue.

In Ranked? Most decks have some kind of burst combo so it's kind of something you just need to know about decks. Like, you expect Handlock to probably run Leeroy + Power Overwhelming + Faceless. You expect Grommash from Control Warrior. You expect Force of Nature + Savage Roar(s) from Druid. That sort of stuff.

MisterArrogant

Neo Member
Well, in your first loss, you played cards that had good abilities (Shattered Sun Cleric, Ancient Brewmaster) onto an empty board. You could used the Defias bandit to attack, then have used Brewmaster to call back the Defias Leader to play again and bring back another bandit.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, in retrospect, on that second turn I wish I had thrown down the Defias Ringleader. I knew the priest would knock it with the Cleric and heal it leaving them with an extra card and me down one health on that guy. I was thinking at the time I didn't want to give them that card and would wait and throw down the Shattered Sun Cleric next turn to wipe out their Cleric and eat the buff. But if I had, they wouldn't have had the mana to put down the taunt. So that turn could have been played better.

Regarding the brewmaster, my thinking at the time was it was better to clear out the 5 dmg taunting Twilight Drake with my minions on the board then try to get maximum utility out of the Ringleader. I knew he would just use the drake to kill the brewmaster the next turn anyway or go for the face leaving me to kill my own brewmaster against his taunt. Seeing as how he ended up having SW: Death I probably would have been better holding onto the Ringleader though.

Haha yeah this has definitely happened to me before. It's usually not a bad thing though because they waste a peacekeeper on something I don't value and you can usually suicide it if that happens. I'm finding my deck construction and play is designed to let the other guy blow all their skills and Trump cards and I come up to finish strong. The times that I get scoffed is when someone doesn't run out because they have way more than I do. I had a guy play 4 légendaires in 4 turns, shit sucked

Sandwich

Neo Member
Anyone else having problems using Shadowplay in Hearthstone? I can manually record but the shadowplay-recording feature (alt-f10) doesn't register at all. It used to work but not any more.

Kosma

Banned
Casual can be more fun the Ranked because you don't play the same 5 decks.

Edit: DE my golden hounds for 800 yissssssssss

Well, I must have just played against someone who just downloaded the game onto his iPad. I dropped an Argent Squire and buffed it to 5/1. The other player played a Bluegill Warrior next turn, didn't attack with it. Argent Squire does 5 to the face. Next turn, I get attacked with the Bluegill Warrior. Really? The Argent Squire gets hit once and loses divine shield at some point, but never gets taken out. I keep hitting for at least 5 every turn. Weird match.

HzLiqyrl.jpg

splattered

If you are just starting, level each of the 9 characters to 10, this unlocks all their basic cards, gives you some knowledge on them, and you get 100 gold. Then work on being able to beat each of the expert A.I. characters. That will give you another 100 gold. You also have a free arena run you can do that will guarantee you a pack plus more gold depending on how well you do (take a look at some arena guides for some guidance). Finally watch some twitch/youtube videos. When just starting you need to learn about the various cards types, this is very valuable.

As for Shaman, here is a link to Trumps "free" to play Shaman deck:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/39692-trump-free-to-play-shaman

Some of those cards you won't have, you need to disenchant the unimportant cards you get from the packs you get from your arena run(s) or from the packs you "purchase" from the gold you get from what I listed above and craft them. Work towards that and do your quests.

Truth be told though, a zoo Warlock deck is very "cheap" and is much more viable (Shaman isn't very good right now)

The rise of miracle Rogue has brought them back out

Wow I am absolutely horrid against the AI expert decks... I'm using my Mage deck that I do pretty well with online and get just fucking demolished against the computer. Both the standard decks and my own custom decks against pretty much every class, I have yet to beat a single one. Fucking frustrating!

Someone told me I get a bunch of cards as a reward for leveling up to 20 online in ranked matches... So I did that tonight and got jack and shit.

The daily challenges are too small to win enough new packs and I don't want to destroy all my cards to craft a few I might like.

Will not spend money on this game... Nope.

I wish they'd at least give away small daily boosters or something as like a loyalty reward for logging in/playing every day like injustice does.

Blah.

Was never a big fan of Rogue but I've been trying out a Malygos deck recently and it's so damn fun. I don't think a lot of people expect to take upwards of 20 damage on turn 10.

It's definitely a stressful deck to play though since you have to hold specific cards and play cards in the right order, plus most matches I've been in seem to come down to the wire. Although it's probably not as bad as a Miracle Rogue in that regard. Either way I'm looking forward to playing around with it more and getting better with it.

Wow I am absolutely horrid against the AI expert decks... I'm using my Mage deck that I do pretty well with online and get just fucking demolished against the computer. Both the standard decks and my own custom decks against pretty much every class, I have yet to beat a single one. Fucking frustrating!

Someone told me I get a bunch of cards as a reward for leveling up to 20 online in ranked matches... So I did that tonight and got jack and shit.

The daily challenges are too small to win enough new packs and I don't want to destroy all my cards to craft a few I might like.

Will not spend money on this game... Nope.

I wish they'd at least give away small daily boosters or something as like a loyalty reward for logging in/playing every day like injustice does.

Blah.

Hitting Rank 20 just gives you a special card back at the end of the season.

Also for the expert AI, all they do is pretty much spam minion after minion. You just have to load up your deck with high value minions and force them into crappy trades.

But yeah, it can be really rough starting out. You're just missing so many of the necessary cards. After a while of playing I just decided I'd drop down $50 and leave it at that. It's pretty much the amount I would pay for any other game and since I play it quite a bit I figured it was worth the initial investment.

If you're absolutely insistent on not dropping any money on the game then really the best you can do is look at some of the low budget or free to play decks and just grind out some gold. Some of the better free to play decks can be really successful for a newer player.

Newline

Anyone else having problems using Shadowplay in Hearthstone? I can manually record but the shadowplay-recording feature (alt-f10) doesn't register at all. It used to work but not any more.

Shadowplay only works for full screen games, even when hearthstone is fullscreen its actually just in windowless mode and occupies the whole screen (this change happened near the end of open beta).

So basically, unless Blizzard changes the way the game is displayed, we're stuck without shadowplay auto capture.

Zakalwe

Banned
So true, so true...I mean, MC'ing a late game legendary...how could someone not rage? That's probably a top 3 card of theirs and now it's yours..hahaha... Shadowgaming to destroy two minions at once...I conjured a turn 4 Ironbark Protector on a druid yesterday and he just quit right there...lol...For all the grief I experience not being able to hang with the meta, it's moments like these that make it worth it...

Going for top rank is fun, but stressful and sort of boring.

Usually, when my legendary is MC'd, I pause for a moment to savour it, then faceless-removal, or removal-next legendary, etc...

It's pretty easy to bait out MC most times, and if you've dealt with the first and have control the second is easier to manage.

The card is most frustrating when you're slightly behind and your legendary or large taunt (etc) was key, but at that point I almost always consider the game lost and play the turn out on the off chance the card is in hand.

Really, Priest is just a troll class right now. Everything he does is obvious and pretty easy to counter (especially with the 4 attack dead zone, and the fact his combos are so slow to set up and can be seen a few turns before they hit) unless the cards are really in his favor, then he gets to toy with you until you can't take it.

Lyng

So last night Trump decided to play rush paladin.
Today all the scrubs are playing rush paladin....

Also tirion is so annoying to face when you just dont pull answers to it. (btw this is not a cry for nerf...Tirion is fine as he is, and gets countered by so many cards)

Tried this based on a suggestion from a work buddy. Never played a card game like this before, any tips for an absolute first timer? Any of the classes easier than others?

Tried this based on a suggestion from a work buddy. Never played a card game like this before, any tips for an absolute first timer? Any of the classes easier than others?

Hunters and Warlock deck are cheap to build and easy to do well with, but each class is capable. If I were you, I'd experiment with all of the classes to see which one you like the most.

Yeah, definitely beat each class in practice to unlock all of them. Then you should work on getting each class to level 10 to unlock the basic cards. Once you get to that point you should be able to decide which class(es) you prefer and start working on decks for them.

Lyng

The planets kind of aligned with some stolen double health cards and a bit of luck with other buffs.

It was overkill and yeah, shadow word could have spoiled the party. But it didn't ;)

Well I am also noticing his empty hand...You have more cards in hand and board control.
But yeah this kind of stuff is alot of fun when it works out.

Funny enough I dont have the inner fire and double health stuff in my priest deck.

Well I am also noticing his empty hand...You have more cards in hand and board control.
But yeah this kind of stuff is alot of fun when it works out.

Funny enough I dont have the inner fire and double health stuff in my priest deck.

To be honest it doesn't work out all that often, but I've based my deck around those cards and it can come together. It just feels good to take out a hunter or somebody else before they realise what is about to happen.

Beyond the 2-7 Berserkers, the 2-5 Stormwind knights (with charge) also work well to go with them. With the right cards it is an easy minimum of 20 damage in the later game.

Newline

Aggro warrior is fun to play, but gets pretty dull fast. I imagine control warrior would be fun to play but it takes so many legendaries.

I'm playing control warrior atm. I seriously think it's the most fun deck to play and it has so much depth to it (only miracle rogue seems to be more complex), but yeah it requires so much damn dust to craft. Been collecting legendaries since open beta and only just completed the deck. Totally worth it though as I've never had a deck induce so many rage quits before, the onslaught just keeps on coming.

Tash

Had a hilarious run with 2 Arcane Missile + 2 Frostbolts while having Sorcerer's apprentice, Knife Juggler and Violet Teacher out :D

Won't see that one in a while, though..

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm playing control warrior atm. I seriously think it's the most fun deck to play and it has so much depth to it (only miracle rogue seems to be more complex), but yeah it requires so much damn dust to craft. Been collecting legendaries since open beta and only just completed the deck. Totally worth it though as I've never had a deck induce so many rage quits before, the onslaught just keeps on coming.

Absolutely the most fun.

Zakalwe

Banned
What does control mean?

Controlling the board by maintaining card advantage or keeping it clear. Most control decks are later game, so they work by preventing the opponant from building board presence and effectively stalling until late game so they can start pilling on their larger cards or activate their combo when their opponant is within lethal range (Force of Nature + Savage roar, etc..).

Zakalwe

Banned
It a deck with heavy emphasis on late game cards like ragnaros, ysera and alex.
usually It have a very slow beginning in which you might not play a single minion until turn 4 or 5.

Niot always. Mid game control is possible too. Certain Zoo builds are built around the idea of mid-game control, and Paladin is almost stuck in mid game where he's extremely effective (lack of early game removal and win conditions make him in effective consistantly though).

zoukka

Niot always. Mid game control is possible too. Certain Zoo builds are built around the idea of mid-game control, and Paladin is almost stuck in mid game where he's extremely effective (lack of early game removal and win conditions make him in effective consistantly though).

I've always been weirded out by people referring to Zoo as some form of control. It's a fucking "play as many minions as you can" deck, no matter what the slight variations of the deck might be!

Zoo cares about the board state more than face-hunter, but that does not make it control.

Newline

Absolutely the most fun.
The control warrior I've been playing over the last few days is such a refreshing change from the miracle / malygos rogue I was playing last season. Only been going for about 60 wins now but it's taken me to rank 5 so far. Hoping I can push that to legend again in well... 25 days :p. From what i've played so far it seems about as strong as the miracle rogue deck but with fewer hard counters and less RNG.

New definition of pay to win !
some dudes with the same rank playing 4-5 Epic Card in a single game !!!
you don't need to know how to play you need to pay LOL

Shame on Blizzard

Newline

Shame on Blizzard
Well the last season of hearthstone was dominated by two of the cheapest decks to build; Midrange hunter and zoo lock.

Zakalwe

Banned
I've always been weirded out by people referring to Zoo as some form of control. It's a fucking "play as many minions as you can" deck, no matter what the slight variations of the deck might be!

Zoo cares about the board state more than face-hunter, but that does not make it control.

I said certain Zoo based builds can be built around the idea of control, like the one linked above. Which is true.

I was simply showing how Control isn't limited to late game and big minions, despite what we typically see. I didn't refer to Zoo as a whole as control.

Q8D3vil

Shame on Blizzard
This game is not p2w even at the slightest even though i agree that some classes are almost unplayable without certain epics/legendaries.

One day I will the legendaries (and shield slams) for Control Warrior.
Surprised you dont have the cards yet, you seem to play alot of arena which is much more efficient than buying cards straight up (unless you wait for daily gold to enter arena).

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
One day I will the legendaries (and shield slams) for Control Warrior.
I'm a lucky guy; I got two golden Shield Slams from packs. ;-)

I also second Warrior being insanely fun to play. Why? This just happened;
Faceless Manipulator on my Armorsmith + Commanding Shout to clear his board. He plays Illidan (LOL) with nothing. I faceless his Illidan, play a third Armorsmith and Whirlwind for insane armor gain. He kills my Illidan with his Illidan and plays Freeze dude. I play Cairne + two Taskmasters to buff my Armorsmiths and gain armor, he drives both his minions into Cairne and Fireballs Baine (more armor, yay!). I kill his Freeze dude with a Taskmaster, Armor Up and put down Ragnaros. He concedes.

Interfectum

Shame on Blizzard

I've noticed a direct correlation between people who call Hearthstone P2W and people who aren't very good at the game.

zoukka

Surprised you dont have the cards yet, you seem to play alot of arena which is much more efficient than buying cards straight up (unless you wait for daily gold to enter arena).

Well I'm not too far from it honestly. I need Rag, Baron and the Dragons, already have Grom, Cairne and some epics.

I haven't spent real money so that makes the progress 100% random beyond the dust I save for the legendaries. I think I'll hit the spot where 99% of the cards I get are duplicates pretty soon though so that will hasten the progress as well.

The best part of HS for me is the arena grind. I enjoy the slow progress and waiting game on the good cards immensly. I feel that if I spend real money and hastened the progress a lot of the charm of HS would be lost.

Zakalwe

Banned

Shame on Blizzard

If you really think this, you didn't explore all your options in game or do enough research.

There are plenty of competetive decks built from a base of basic cards, with only a few rare and common cards, that cost very little dust to craft and will take you to legendary if you can pilot them well.

And it's not pay to win, it's pay to get dust faster with the chance to get a card you need. Even if you spend £50, you might only get a bunch of rares at best. As everyone has access to every single card in the game (aside from event only ones which are far from competitive), it's really only "pay to skip" at worst.

Check out Trump's basic decks for a start, learn how he gets value from each card and synergy from others, and you'll soon see how skill (application of knowledge, understanding probability, latteral thinking, etc...) is just as big a factor as RNG or epic and legendary cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom