• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any cards you've never seen played, or played only 1 time??
Never seen played;

Laughing Sister (Ysera card)
Repair Bot (Gelbin card)
Power of the Horde (ETC card)
Pit Lord (5 damage to self is scary)
Kidnapper (Because it sucks)
Patient Assassin (1 health, dies to anything, Epic rarity)
Bane of Doom (Epic rarity, too high cost for Zoolock, terrible card)

Violet_0

Banned
This one does not give you 4 life though. Weapon warrior decks are pretty suicidal as it is, that keeps them in check.

Oh and Indiana Ford.

warriors have armor though, this weapon might be even better for them. Second attack is a swipe at the cost of some of your hp. Getting 4 life back is nice but not exactly amazing

no angel

Just had an odd game as priest. Opponent goes first and skips, I play northshite cleric. He skips again, I play a crocolisk after which he armours up, plays innervate then forfeits immediately.

Also I know priest is widely looked down on but I have a ton of fun playing him.

inky

How is it used? He does 2 dmg to everyone every turn right?

i'm assuming it's used when a warrior a ton of armor already equipped?

I just got him, so I'm definitely curious.

It is used in conjunction with Armorsmith, Acolyte of Pain, Berserker, etc. Cards that benefit the Warrior when taking small damage. It is also used to finish up low health threats, or to damage enemies to set up an Execute play next turn when other forms of damage are not available.

Warrior can gain life pretty fast, so it can find a good balance with it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Never seen laughing sister? Really? Get that shit all the time.

CoolOff

So, in the last 96 arena games I've upped my average from 4.63 -> 5.27 average wins compared to the 96 before that. Pretty nice to see actual progress. Numbers before/after:

Class Win Loss Pct % Played
Priest 51 42 54.84 14
Rogue 54 39 58.06 13
Warrior 42 27 60.87 9
Shaman 49 36 57.65 12
Druid 69 30 69.70 11
Warlock 46 39 54.12 13
Mage 23 15 60.53 5
Hunter 45 24 65.22 8
Paladin 56 33 62.92 11

Priest 29 27 51.79 9
Rogue 86 42 67.19 15
Warrior 76 34 69.09 12
Shaman 65 29 69.15 10
Druid 66 33 66.67 11
Warlock 28 21 57.14 7
Mage 37 24 60.66 8
Hunter 64 39 62.14 13
Paladin 67 29 69.79 11

Priest and Warlock are so shit in arena. :( Rogue and Shaman increases are cool.

I've gone 12 five times in the last 96 compared to once in the 96 before. Rogue, Warrior, Shaman, Druid, and twice with Paladin.

FStop7

Banned
Never seen played;

Laughing Sister (Ysera card)
Repair Bot (Gelbin card)
Power of the Horde (ETC card)
Pit Lord (5 damage to self is scary)
Kidnapper (Because it sucks)
Patient Assassin (1 health, dies to anything, Epic rarity)
Bane of Doom (Epic rarity, too high cost for Zoolock, terrible card)

Sadly enough I've seen all of these played. I've only ever once seen ETC in game, Power of the Horde is the card I got from him.

Laughing Sister is the most common Ysera card I get when I play her. I never get Ysera Awakens and that's the one I always want.

Also I know priest is widely looked down on but I have a ton of fun playing him.

That's the only reason I'm playing one now. They are just a lot of fun. Lots of fun effects and being able to use your opponent's cards. Mind controlling minions (MC, CSP and Shadowgames), mindstealing minions (getting Ysera on turn 4..lol), Lots of crazy stuff happens, so when it works well it works well. Killing any big minion for 3 mana is always cool..But it's not consistent enough against the meta...

no angel

That's the only reason I'm playing one now. They are just a lot of fun. Lots of fun effects and being able to use your opponent's cards. Mind controlling minions (MC, CSP and Shadowgames), mindstealing minions (getting Ysera on turn 4..lol), Lots of crazy stuff happens, so when it works well it works well. Killing any big minion for 3 mana is always cool..But it's not consistent enough against the meta...

I play a horrific draw engine deck based around northshire clerics that I found online and it's hilarious once it gets going. Plus as you said they have so much removal you can almost feel the other player getting wound up and MCing a legendary late game is always fun. It's never taken me further than level 12 but I'd rather have enjoy myself than just smash my way through with a warlock zoo deck or whatever bullshit is currently flavour of the month.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Never seen

Wisp
Elite Tauren Warrior Chieftain
Lorewalker Cho
Angry Chicken
Baron Geddon
Captain Greenskin
Deathwing
Headcrack
Hungrey Crab
Millhouse Manastorm
Nozdormu
Pit Lord
The Beast

I only once ever saw a Glebin.

seen all of those in Arena besides Chieftain

you can almost feel the other player getting wound up and MCing a legendary late game is always fun. It's never taken me further than level 12 but I'd rather have enjoy myself than just smash my way through with a warlock zoo deck or whatever bullshit is currently flavour of the month.

So true, so true...I mean, MC'ing a late game legendary...how could someone not rage? That's probably a top 3 card of theirs and now it's yours..hahaha... Shadowgaming to destroy two minions at once...I conjured a turn 4 Ironbark Protector on a druid yesterday and he just quit right there...lol...For all the grief I experience not being able to hang with the meta, it's moments like these that make it worth it...

Going for top rank is fun, but stressful and sort of boring.

FStop7

Banned
Never seen

Wisp
Elite Tauren Warrior Chieftain
Lorewalker Cho
Angry Chicken
Baron Geddon
Captain Greenskin
Deathwing
Headcrack
Hungrey Crab
Millhouse Manastorm
Nozdormu
Pit Lord
The Beast

I only once ever saw a Glebin.

Seen all of these. I actually lost to a Deathwing once. It was literally the only card that could have cost me the game and the guy pulled it. I seriously wondered if there was some cheating going on.

I think Headcrack's a pretty good card, there are M. Rogue builds that use it. I think you can amplify it with Bloodmage, Azure Drake or Malygos.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Just fought a spell power rogue headcrackin me for 6. Procced ice block with 1 health and killed him with pyro next turn. I have one pyro in this deck and I always have it in my hand by turn 3 and it's always my finisher. It's a weird card.

So, in the last 96 arena games I've upped my average from 4.63 -> 5.27 average wins compared to the 96 before that. Pretty nice to see actual progress. Numbers before/after:

Class Win Loss Pct % Played
Priest 51 42 54.84 14
Rogue 54 39 58.06 13
Warrior 42 27 60.87 9
Shaman 49 36 57.65 12
Druid 69 30 69.70 11
Warlock 46 39 54.12 13
Mage 23 15 60.53 5
Hunter 45 24 65.22 8
Paladin 56 33 62.92 11

Priest 29 27 51.79 9
Rogue 86 42 67.19 15
Warrior 76 34 69.09 12
Shaman 65 29 69.15 10
Druid 66 33 66.67 11
Warlock 28 21 57.14 7
Mage 37 24 60.66 8
Hunter 64 39 62.14 13
Paladin 67 29 69.79 11

Priest and Warlock are so shit in arena. :( Rogue and Shaman increases are cool.

I've gone 12 five times in the last 96 compared to once in the 96 before. Rogue, Warrior, Shaman, Druid, and twice with Paladin.

You use hearth tracker or something else? I need to get one of these things up and running, data such as these are fun to browse.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
After going 1-8 last night over 3 Arena runs, including getting almost totally shut out by 3 mages in a row, I am done until I figure out how to get better. Which probably means never. Too frustrating and too many people that seem like Graduate Students of Deck Construction, which is great for them but kinda shitty for newer players.

Also, even in Casual play, if I end up getting matched against a Priest who starts pulling the fuggin' Lifewell/Northshire Cleric endless healing shit, I just bail out now by like turn 3 rather than sit there and be annoyed until dead 3 turns later. :)

I'm an expert

After going 1-8 last night over 3 Arena runs, including getting almost totally shut out by 3 mages in a row, I am done until I figure out how to get better. Which probably means never. Too frustrating and too many people that seem like Graduate Students of Deck Construction, which is great for them but kinda shitty for newer players.

Also, even in Casual play, if I end up getting matched against a Priest who starts pulling the fuggin' Lifewell/Northshire Cleric endless healing shit, I just bail out now by like turn 3 rather than sit there and be annoyed until dead 3 turns later. :)

Did you do all quests for all gold and have you bought packs to create decent decks? Also, knowing a priest may have northshire should teach you when to drop your minions. If you're getting scared by a lightwell, you dont have enough game knowledge to be going anywhere near arenas. Arena requires card knowledge. You should spam casual/ranked.

JesseZao

There are online tools to help get a handle on arena deck construction, but in the end it just takes practice. Constant beatdown isn't very encoutaging, but eventually you will rise to n00b slayer status.

JeffGreen

Did you do all quests for all gold and have you bought packs to create decent decks? Also, knowing a priest may have northshire should teach you when to drop your minions. If you're getting scared by a lightwell, you dont have enough game knowledge to be going anywhere near arenas. Arena requires card knowledge.

I'd like to think I have some knowledge. I do the quests daily, have every class over Level 20, and bought a few packs. I'm no expert, but I didn't just fall off the murloc truck either.

I'm not "afraid" of lightwells, I just get annoyed by that deck and don't have the patience. I'm talking about Casual play here only, of course. I would not bail out of a Ranked match.

My bigger point I guess was that I wish there was some kinda "junior league" Arena so newer players (I still consider myself to be one) can actually compete against those who are just so obviously miles better.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
First "wing" is free. Then you pay to unlock other wings. Or something.

Any competitive game is about losing and learning from those losses until you get better. It's part of the process and everyone went through it. Have to just suck it up and keep playing. Throwing in some research helps too. MP games are the only real difficult games left imo and you do need some thick skin to get OK at them.

I'm an expert

I'd like to think I have some knowledge. I do the quests daily, have every class over Level 20, and bought a few packs. I'm no expert, but I didn't just fall off the murloc truck either.

I'm not "afraid" of lightwells, I just get annoyed by that deck and don't have the patience. I'm talking about Casual play here only, of course. I would not bail out of a Ranked match.

My bigger point I guess was that I wish there was some kinda "junior league" Arena so newer players (I still consider myself to be one) can actually compete against those who are just so obviously miles better.

Watch streams. Seriously, it'll help you understand why certain choices make more options than others. It will also show you common tricks and mistakes that seem trivial but add up. I don't see how this game benefits from a noob league, there's too many rng components that factor in and we already know basic commons decks can get to legendary rank if played skillfully.

In other news, I guess I can make a so so druid deck.

I'm not "afraid" of lightwells,

I'm sort of afraid of lightwells. I don't run one, but everytime someone drops one, I'm acutely aware of it. And if I silence it, a priest can still inner fire it...So ultimately, I always feel like i'm wasting time destroying one..

It's like a Giant Watcher...I groan any time someone plays one...Not because of what they do, but because of what they can do at some point in the future...I boil over when people unsilence them...

That gives me an idea...mass dispel in a priest deck w/a giant watcher or two out..lol...

JeffGreen

Watch streams. Seriously, it'll help you understand why certain choices make more options than others. It will also show you common tricks and mistakes that seem trivial but add up. I don't see how this game benefits from a noob league, there's too many rng components that factor in and we already know basic commons decks can get to legendary rank if played skillfully.

In other news, I guess I can make a so so druid deck.

Thanks! Are there any streams in particular that you recommend? For Arena play in particular but also in general.

I'm an expert

Trump, Krip, Reynad, Hafu.. Trump is playing now. They usually always play arena.

Haunted

4/2 for four cost. When the weapon is destroyed, it deals one damage to all minions.

Edit: This;
A weapon with a deathrattle?

psyduck.jpg

I assume this gets triggered by both using up the last charge on the weapon as well as Ooze/Jones/Corsair.

Thanks! Are there any streams in particular that you recommend? For Arena play in particular but also in general.
Trump is your best bet, I find he's the most articulate (and certainly one of the best) Arena players in Hearthstone.

He streams often, but there are a ton of edited videos without all the downtime on his Youtube channel. Invaluable.

JesseZao

I'm gonna guess 200 gold per wing.

That would be generous, indeed. I'm going to aim for 2k in the bank before mid july. If they keep the gold/dollar ratio in tact I don't see it being more than 20 total or 5 per wing, which would be about 1333 gold total and 333 gold per wing. So, maybe they'll round it to 350 per wing.

Unfuckingbelievable. I build a deck with so much promise, pulling out moves that should easily win the game and even still my opponents are pulling the biggest comebacks in the history of anything ever. It's like all the Earth's forces are against me.

Ashodin

Unfuckingbelievable. I build a deck with so much promise, pulling out moves that should easily win the game and even still my opponents are pulling the biggest comebacks in the history of anything ever. It's like all the Earth's forces are against me.

Welcome to Hearthstone

Zeliard

"Winning a game as Lord Jaraxxus will now properly grant credit towards unlocking the Warlock golden hero."

Seriously, this was bugged? My poor goddamn warlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom