• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I wanted to buy a few packs on the ipad, but all it ended up doing was time out AFTER I made my itunes password entry/purchase. I'm still waiting for the packs to appear. Pretty annoying.

Yeah, money has been pulled from my account and still no packs. Stupid iPad.

PsionBolt

- Play Ooze
- Opponent plays Eaglehorn Bow / Fiery War Axe / Stormforged Axe / Perdition's Blade
- Opponent hits Ooze

I am so bad at this game

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
- Play Ooze
- Opponent plays Eaglehorn Bow / Fiery War Axe / Stormforged Axe / Perdition's Blade
- Opponent hits Ooze

I am so bad at this game

I played a Big Game Hunter in arena today that I had held for like 6 turns, but finally was my best option to drop with a Defender of Argus.

next turn, War Golem.

Yep, Artosis beat him and went on to win the tournament.
But the coincidences just keep coming. Every one of Artosis' three decks also cost 4400 dust minimum.

I also don't understand why we're talking about an invitational tournament (invited youtubers and streamers due to popularity) that took place like a year ago. The game has changed a lot since then and there are many low rarity strong decks in the game.

Assuming you need high rarity to beat high rarity is just false in this game. Most of the answers to legendary cards are mostly basic, rare, and commons.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yep, Artosis beat him and went on to win the tournament.
But the coincidences just keep coming. Every one of Artosis' three decks also cost 4400 dust minimum.

People have decks that cost 16,000+ dust and haven't spent a dime on them, and lose. Dust value for a deck doesn't make you win.

railGUN

Banned
I played a Big Game Hunter in arena today that I had held for like 6 turns, but finally was my best option to drop with a Defender of Argus.

next turn, War Golem.

I'm pretty new, only have 1 legendary, Ysera. The 1st time I played it, the game ended a round later (so I didn't get to actually use a dream card).

The second time I got to play it, it was versus a Priest, who immediately stole it, and then proceeded to gather dream cards and use them against me, as I tried to kill it.

I lost, and suffice to say, I was both pissed, and a bit amused.

Ashodin

When Trump went to Innkeeper's Invitational, his mage deck cost 4620 dust, and it was the cheapest of the three decks he brought.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/16794-trumps-add-fuel-mage
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/16797-trumps-whats-yours-is-mine-priest
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/16795-trumps-hipster-mage-druid

It's weird he didn't bring any mostly-common decks sprinkled with a couple of rares, even though they must be just as good as the decks with the epics and legendaries, given that there's no P2W whatsoever in Hearthstone.

Stole my priest deck name!

Kosma

Banned
My my first shammy deck, what do you guys think?

Went from rank 15>14 with it so far

Ive been on a huge binge today as my gf is not home.

aQH5SmU.jpg

I'm pretty new, only have 1 legendary, Ysera. The 1st time I played it, the game ended a round later (so I didn't get to actually use a dream card).

The second time I got to play it, it was versus a Priest, who immediately stole it, and then proceeded to gather dream cards and use them against me, as I tried to kill it.

I lost, and suffice to say, I was both pissed, and a bit amused.

Ysera is not easy to play, I think usually she works best when protected or on an empty board endgame.

FStop7

Banned
When Trump went to Innkeeper's Invitational, his mage deck cost 4620 dust, and it was the cheapest of the three decks he brought.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/16794-trumps-add-fuel-mage
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/16797-trumps-whats-yours-is-mine-priest
http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/16795-trumps-hipster-mage-druid

It's weird he didn't bring any mostly-common decks sprinkled with a couple of rares, even though they must be just as good as the decks with the epics and legendaries, given that there's no P2W whatsoever in Hearthstone.

LOL really? You're comparing an invitational tournament of top ranked / high profile players vs. ranking up the ladder to Legendary?

Water

LOL really? You're comparing an invitational tournament of top ranked / high profile players vs. ranking up the ladder to Legendary?

No. I'm pointing out that for some reason, serious players trying to win serious money don't seem to play those cheap common+rare decks that are supposedly so strong that spending money doesn't give you any advantage in Hearthstone.

Minsc

Gold Member
No. I'm pointing out that for some reason, serious players trying to win serious money don't seem to play those cheap common+rare decks that are supposedly so strong that spending money doesn't give you any advantage in Hearthstone.

All the decks are free to build, there's no cards you need to spend money to obtain.

You can easily get a couple high-profile decks in next to no time, by going infinite in Arena. Or you can get them in a few months for free if you're not so good lucky. Either way, they don't cost anything.

inky

This was the most common deck during the last big tournament (Dreamhack) and used to win the last two games in the final.

In addition to that, it was used by one player to get Legendary rank 1 (that is, #1 in the world) both in EU and NA. It has no legendary or epic cards:

KFD51mW.png

This was the most common deck during the last big tournament (Dreamhack) and used to win the last two games in the final.

In addition to that, it was used by one player to get Legendary rank 1 (that is, #1 in the world) both in EU and NA. It has no legendary or epic cards:

KFD51mW.png

but but but now I have to realize it is my skill and not the cards I don't own!

Water

Okay, apparently it is possible. Are there other equally cheap decks viable at that level of play? I presume this one is pretty significantly weakened by the UTH nerf.

inky

Okay, apparently it is possible. Are there other equally cheap decks viable at that level of play? I presume this one is pretty significantly weakened by the UTH nerf.

These are 2 of the 3 decks from the guy who came second place in Dreamhack (who lost to the deck above):

osXdot5.png

The first has 1 epic card, no legendaries. The second has 1 Legendary. That's 3 top decks used by #1 and #2 in the biggest Hearthstone tournament to date, and between them they have 1 legendary and 1 epic cards.

Alrus

Anybody got any links for cheap but decent constructed decks?

Check Hearthead or Hearthpwn and see if you find a deck that suits you. Plenty of cool basic/budget decks are listed there.

Or look for budget Deck Tech videos on youtube.

So I kinda lately been hating on running argent squire again, but I really hate it when people use it against me turn 1... mostly shaman. Mostly that dang hero power which is so good against rogue. Ugh.

edit:
Bleh, I hate when someone wins just because of a single roll. They don't play much or well the entire game then their rag happens to hit my rag and the match is decided =/

scy

These are 2 of the 3 decks from the guy who came second place in Dreamhack (who lost to the deck above):

The first has 1 epic card, no legendaries. The second has 1 Legendary. That's 3 top decks used by #1 and #2 in the biggest Hearthstone tournament to date, and between them they have 1 legendary and 1 epic cards.

To be fair, that Kobold should totally be a Thalnos unless there's an explanation otherwise on why it's there as a 2/2 instead.

But, yeah, for the most part most non-Control decks are fairly cheap to construct. You can go full tech with them and add stuff like The Black Knight, Harrison Jones, Big Game Hunter, etc. but they're not completely necessary. Usually the basis of the deck is founded in basic - common - rare slots with a splash of Epics and Legendaries.

Again, barring super Control decks which are like 12,000+ dust to construct.

Card Boy

Banned
I don't think I'll ever make it past 18... I keep falling back to 20 D:

If your new then its understandable. I can't break rank 14 but having said that i only play 2-3 matches a day for the daily quests and sometimes i skip days when i have stacked quests completed. If i tried i can possibly get higher but i don't think will ever get higher than 12.

Me vs a Warlock, he is on turn 4
My venture co mercenary has already slapped him once and is priming to slap him again. He drops a hellfire and a soulfire just to get rid of the mercenary, and what card does soulfire get rid of?

Ragnaros

He insta-quit after Rag got burned. The salt is real.

inky

Northshire Cleric is a stupid card.

It has no business being a 1/3 for 1 with its ability.

It used to work when healing a character instead of a minion, so if you didn't play a creature they would just attack you and heal you and draw for free! Oh, you are a Warlock and are going to tap? Yes please.

Fun times, lol.

Alrus

Just had a fight with a Priest who ended up having 3 northshire cleric and a light well on his side. He almost milled himself to death but I couldn't last long enough to survive in end. Was still fun to witness.

Northshire cleric is perhaps the first card I thought was really too good. I didn't think "that" way in terms of cards being OP or not yet, but I was like damn that card is really freaking crazy strong. Then I tried to figure out how to counter it and it was pretty rewarding after I learned how to. And by counter I mean how to deal with a turn 1 cleric. As rogue I try to mulligan backstabs, deadly poison, faerie dragon, and si7 agent vs priests.

The worst is when they powerword shield it. Which is why my ideal start has me with si7 agent + backstab (turn 3 + hero power from the turn earlier) or backstab deadly poison.

One other card I don't mind getting (but I never mulligan for) is sap. Because if they do some hp/attack buff craziness, I at least have a way to deal with it some. And sap because I don't run silence.

I hope rogue's get a weapon from naxx that has the text "Silences minions before dealing damage."

Or

"If you kill a minion, draw a card".

If the game were pay2win, you could buy potions and special cards not attainable with in-game gold.

Yep, this is the best kind of F2P, which is pay-to-not-play. In that you can pay money, but really you are just stopping yourself from playing a lot of hours of the same game. Which to me, is most of the fun slowly building up a deck and learning to play.

Northshire Cleric is a stupid card.

It has no business being a 1/3 for 1 with its ability.

Maybe, but without it Priests wouldn't last long enough to do anything else.

I really, really like Gruul.
He can escalate crazy.

I've never seen him used against me to any real great affect. He looks like he can be fun to play though. He is just too vulnerable to hard removals cause he doesn't get an immediate impact like other cards near his cost, which is a shame cause he is a cool card.

Yep, this is the best kind of F2P, which is pay-to-not-play. In that you can pay money, but really you are just stopping yourself from playing a lot of hours of the same game. Which to me, is most of the fun slowly building up a deck and learning to play.

I have played the p2w type of game before. A third person shooter MMORPG called crimecraft. If I am not mistaken everything is obtainable in game but everything is not permanent. And without paying you simply could not maintain the best supplements. Even using lower level supplements was a pain as a free player. And even though you could win without the stuff, it was a very measurable and distinct advantage to have it. Which is why the game was p2w. This game on the other hand has permanency for any method of obtaining cards. I can still understand why people get confused though, because the nature of card games makes certain cards look better than others. And certain decks and styles perform very well against other decks and styles.

It's just a great top-deck minion, because late-game they'll likely have used up all their hard removals anyway, so he is free to grow while they try to run their stuff into him.

inky

To be fair, that Kobold should totally be a Thalnos unless there's an explanation otherwise on why it's there as a 2/2 instead.

Well, that's a screenshot from his own deck, so I'm guessing he valued the 2 toughness more than the card draw, for the tournament at least.

But I guess it could also be seen as a free alternative to an expensive card one can run in a deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom