• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palehorse

So I'm seeing the frustration people have playing ranked. I don't really play to rank up but to complete quests and the people I play against are usually at my skill level.

Lately I've gotten further down the ranking than ever before (15 yaay)after looking at some twitch streams, and have now run into the 'legendary' problem.

I will be playing people and trading cards just fine. Nothing dominating but I'm having fun...and then they'll drop some legendary card that totally kicks my ass and changes the dynamic of the match.

So now it looks like a pay wall to me. Or a time wall. I don't know what method these people use to get their great cards but I can't match it whichever method it is.

I have been tempted to drop $10 on packs to reward the devs and to increase my card count but I can now see that would be useless as the chances of picking one of these legendary cards that are kicking my ass is quite low.

I guess I'll stop playing ranked now, I've reached the extent that my custom-built, no-pay deck can get me. That saddens me as I was really having fun, but I can't pay my way into being competitive.

I've been at rank 10-8 for the last couple of seasons which is really the point where I can stop coasting on having a better-constructed deck and actually play well to win.

Remember when reynad's aggro warrior was a thing? I tried going back to the deck and it sucked ass.

Every once in a while some strange card draw will make me lose to aggro warrior, but it is such a rare occurrence. But that deck style has fallen so much. I pretty much automatically assume control warrior now when before I had to assume aggro due to the deck's popularity.

you sometimes get that combo warrior deck that has cards like raging wargen, warsong commander and inner rage. but yeah it's like 95%(maybe higher?) control.

I'm playing it right now because it's climbing and also because I really, really want golden yetis.

I have a question. Have any of you ever seen a Void Terror played in Hearthstone?

I have played hundreds of games and I still haven't seen it even once. For those of you that don't know, it's a Warlock card with 3/3 stats and cost 3. Its battlecry is that it destroys the minions on either side of it, and gains their health and attack.

For the last few days I have been thinking about why anyone would ever use such a card. It sounds like a really bad thing to do to your board. I started to think that maybe it would be good for creating a giant taunt-creature if you had a way to give it taunt. But what would that gain you exactly? Especially since there are so many cards that destroys any single minions outright. Is it to make your board AOE-proof? But then a sheep or assassinate or any such card would clean your board effectively anyway.

All your eggs in one basket and all that.

Any ideas? Anyone seen the card in play? If so, was it a good play somehow?
I just saw it, and it slayed me! Warlock had a Flame Imp and gave it that "give this +4/4 until the end of turn when it dies horribly" buff. Then he played Void Terror to steal that Flame Imp's 7/6. That Flame Imp was dying anyway, so I figure this was Blizzard's clever idea around this card.

Kosma

Banned
I tried to make a deck with void terror yesterday.

I dropped it next to a 5-1 beserker.

It died the next round (gainst a mage on empty board)

I just saw it, and it slayed me! Warlock had a Flame Imp and gave it that "give this +4/4 until the end of turn when it dies horribly" buff. Then he played Void Terror to steal that Flame Imp's 7/6. That Flame Imp was dying anyway, so I figure this was Blizzard's clever idea around this card.

Man thats nifty!

you sometimes get that combo warrior deck that has cards like raging wargen, warsong commander and inner rage. but yeah it's like 95%(maybe higher?) control.

I'm playing it right now because it's climbing and also because I really, really want golden yetis.

I really want gold yetis too... I think the new cards might open up a midrange deck for warrior, I hope at least.

It'll probably be some combos though with death's bite and enrage minions. Free whirlwind is pretty hot and the 4 mana weapon is a pretty good spot to have it in. I could see dropping warsong commander + that 2cc rage minion on turn 5 and using death's bite from turn 4 to trigger it. Something like that. 1 less card in hand to trigger enrage or to get an execute.

NBtoaster

Usually Void Terror just ends up 3 or 4 for 1-ing yourself because it will get hexed/polymorphed/syphonsouled/shadowworddeathed/silenced/biggamehuntered/assassinated on the very next turn. I guess its good against Paladins.

jkanownik

Anyone else having issues with the update on iOS? I went from zero crashes to crashing every game. It completely killed the game for me.

This priest had a bunch of beefy minions down including a soul priest. He puts down a Wild Pyromancer then shields it. He then plays circle of healing forgetting about the soul priest...

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Just had someone play a Deathwing into my Sylvanas. I can't really think of anything that could be classified as a worse play, especially considering he had a Boulderfist on the board with which he could've killed Sylvanas before playing Deathwing and maybe even still could have won through drawing decent cards had he played Deathwing in that scenario. Needless to say, he insta-conceded. He wasted a full turn and an Innervate to discard his own hand, clear his own board and give me a 12/12. Hilarious. But also kind of sad. ;-/

Anybody got worse plays than that?

zoukka

Meh why do I bother, even a great warrior deck is still a bad deck in arena.

They really need to address Priest, Warrior and Warlock in arena with the new cards. Something for warrior that utilizes armor that isn't a fucking epic for example.

Cynar

Just had someone play a Deathwing into my Sylvanas. I can't really think of anything that could be classified as a worse play, especially considering he had a Boulderfist on the board with which he could've killed Sylvanas before playing Deathwing and maybe even still could have won through drawing decent cards had he played Deathwing in that scenario. Needless to say, he insta-conceded. He wasted a full turn and an Innervate to discard his own hand, clear his own board and give me a 12/12. Hilarious. But also kind of sad. ;-/

I've made some oh shit moments but that.. Wow.

zoukka

Ahh dat golden UTH dust. RAG GET!

Now to grind 800 dust for the shield slams and I might start playing a poor mans' Control Warrior at last! I'll replace the missing Alex and Baron with giants I guess.

void terror on sylvanas or a power overwhelming creature is a good combo

the problem is that warlocks can do much better and they're both really situational.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I think Void Terror could gain viability in a Deathrattle-deck with Naxx around the corner. Leper Gnome, Harvest Golem, Nerubian Egg, Loot Hoarder, Sylvanas, Power Overwhelming, Cairne, Thanos, Rivendare, Undertaker and whatever else comes out of Naxx. Turn 6 Sylvanas, Turn 7 Rivendare + Terror for 2x Mind Control, 2x whatever else Deathrattle you have on the board and a hugely buffed Terror.

zoukka

I think Void Terror could gain viability in a Deathrattle-deck with Naxx around the corner. Leper Gnome, Harvest Golem, Nerubian Egg, Loot Hoarder, Sylvanas, Power Overwhelming, Cairne, Thanos, Rivendare, Undertaker and whatever else comes out of Naxx. Turn 6 Sylvanas, Turn 7 Rivendare + Terror for 2x Mind Control, 2x whatever else Deathrattle you have on the board and a hugely buffed Terror.

Problem is Doomguard works as the better warlock fatty in almost any situation. It's not like your deathrattle minions just stay untouched on the field until you play void terror. You can't just fit void terror in any serious deck really, too situational and risky.

Camy

Neo Member

I was just about to be soundly beaten by a priest with 2 northshire clerics (if these allow you to draw when something is healed?) and a full board with no cards left in the deck and he played holy nova..

Took me a minute to realise what was happening as he continued to receive damage for each card he didn't have.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Ahh dat golden UTH dust. RAG GET!

Now to grind 800 dust for the shield slams and I might start playing a poor mans' Control Warrior at last! I'll replace the missing Alex and Baron with giants I guess.

For what it's worth I only run one shield slam now and it's fine. For a while I ran a cleave instead and it helped more than not most times.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Problem is Doomguard works as the better warlock fatty in almost any situation. It's not like your deathrattle minions just stay untouched on the field until you play void terror. You can't just fit void terror in any serious deck really, too situational and risky.
Sure, in current Warlock decks Doomguard is king and Terror is crap and will stay crap, but that's not my point. The point is that with Naxx, Terror will become much more viable than before simply because you can do more with him. Turn 4 Rivendare, Turn 5 Nerubian Egg + Void Terror = 2 4/4 minions, Rivendare and 3/5 Void Terror. All the Deathrattle stuff simply opens up a lot more options for Terror and that makes it a more viable card than before.

But of course this all stands or falls with whatever else comes out of Naxx.

Darkone

Started playing the game this week, why did i do it??
Got hooked to it and stopping myself from spending cash.
Got a few deckes from coins i gatered and got one epic card, yay!!!.

Would like to play against fellow gaffers so add me: Stragga.

I only played the magic user so far even after opening all the other clases.

Tarazet

Remember when reynad's aggro warrior was a thing? I tried going back to the deck and it sucked ass.

Every once in a while some strange card draw will make me lose to aggro warrior, but it is such a rare occurrence. But that deck style has fallen so much. I pretty much automatically assume control warrior now when before I had to assume aggro due to the deck's popularity.

Aggro warrior is impossible to play now. It cannot deal with taunters and has no hard removal. I had back to back games where I had to deal with Sunwalkers - pretty much an instant concede with a deck like that.

soldat7

Aggro warrior is impossible to play now. It cannot deal with taunters and has no hard removal. I had back to back games where I had to deal with Sunwalkers - pretty much an instant concede with a deck like that.

Sunwalkers are frustrating. I need a couple.

Kosma

Banned
I'm loving my self made Shammy deck, its not perfect but i made it to rank 13 now.

T3zRHDu.jpg

zoukka

Mind Control Tech is the most broken card in the game perioud. Probably the most swingy effect in the game next to Brawl. One card swings the game from being unwinnable to sealed deal to my opponent FUN TIMES WERE HAD.

In Arena mode does it let you pick cards you only own in your collection or you can get cards you don`t have?

All cards are available from the neutral pool, plus your own class.

I had a full on evil laugh moment earlier when a Priest burned most of his hand to buff a Lightspawn up to crazy numbers, and I then Big Game Hunter'd it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Mind Control Tech is the most broken card in the game perioud. Probably the most swingy effect in the game next to Brawl. One card swings the game from being unwinnable to sealed deal to my opponent FUN TIMES WERE HAD.

Your fault for overextending.

I'm an expert

Are you honestly saying one should refrain from playing a fourth minion in the fear of Mind Control Tech :D

I'm saying think of the possibilities. You kill totems instead of face even when you have a 10/10 on the board because you don't know if they have a windfury+lust, right? You don't throw a creature with 2 attack at a priest late game without considering cabal/madness, right? You don't spam mirror image on a hunter in turns 1-3, right? Similarly, unless that fourth creature was an absolute necessary move to not lose the game, you think about what the consequences are. I think everyone has a "fuckin didn't see that coming" moment, and this one is for you with control tech. I've had the same thing happen with tech, in arena and ranked, so I always play around it. I play around flamestrike, equality/consec, brawl, peacekeeper, alchemist, a bunch of cards that you just gotta sorta read.

zoukka

I'm saying think of the possibilities. You kill totems instead of face even when you have a 10/10 on the board because you don't know if they have a windfury+lust, right? You don't throw a creature with 2 attack at a priest late game without considering cabal/madness, right? You don't spam mirror image on a hunter in turns 1-3, right? Similarly, unless that fourth creature was an absolute necessary move to not lose the game, you think about what the consequences are. I think everyone has a "fuckin didn't see that coming" moment, and this one is for you with control tech. I've had the same thing happen with tech, in arena and ranked, so I always play around it. I play around flamestrike, equality/consec, brawl, peacekeeper, alchemist, a bunch of cards that you just gotta sorta read.

All of your examples were situations where you can reasonably predict and assess situations. Mind Control Tech is a card, you cannot predict or reasobaly play around.

I'm an expert

All of your examples were situations where you can reasonably predict and assess situations. Mind Control Tech is a card, you cannot predict or reasobaly play around.

Er, I'm simply advocating not flooding the board. I honestly never have more than three distinct creatures out unless there really is no coming back. Even with Ysera I hold the drakes/sisters for the inevitable wipe. You're saying that fourth creature cost you the game. Was the fourth creature life or death? If so, well then, everyone has moments where the opponent has the right card. That was just one of a few that could swing it for him, and he had it. I always know if I drop a 4th creature I open myself up to xyz. You will never forget the possibility of tech now.

zoukka

Er, I'm simply advocating not flooding the board. I honestly never have more than three distinct creatures out unless there really is no coming back. Even with Ysera I hold the drakes/sisters for the inevitable wipe. You're saying that fourth creature cost you the game. Was the fourth creature life or death? If so, well then, everyone has moments where the opponent has the right card. That was just one of a few that could swing it for him, and he had it.

I did not flood the board, I had the overload Elemental buffed to hell and three totems. Making a totem in that situation was a move that only card in the whole Hearthstone punished and with a 25% roll.

So if that's over-extended play, then I don't know how you can play HS without over-extending every turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom