• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Could just be my style, but I never spam sham hero, I'm always searching for the right totem, not trying to fill the board with them. Though I don't play lust decks either where I'm sure that's the point. What did he have on his side? Were you fishing for the taunt totem?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
It was arena. Nobody plays MCT in constructed.

If it was arena, you should have definitely seen it, it's a common pick. I use it sometimes too. I've seen it in constructed plenty, last week actually, but whatever..

zoukka

If it was arena, you should have definitely seen it, it's a common pick. I use it sometimes too. I've seen it in constructed plenty, last week actually, but whatever.. you seem to think I'm attacking you personally instead of just trying to talk about what happened.

"Definitely seen it", that's just a ridiculous claim. It's like I shouldn't play Nat Pagle on turn two because there exists a rare called Crazed Alchemist that kills it next turn. Like I said you cannot play around MCT reasonably.

Violet_0

Banned
I just killed a control warrior that played Geddon, then Rag AND Alex in 3 consecutive turns.

P2W!!!!!hax

it's not like legendaries are some unbeatable super-cards

Geddon has inferior stats for the cost is specifically used to clear weak minions and get armor/cards/trigger enrage, Alex sets up combos or is used as a clutch heal. Rag is - well Rag is actually kind of a super-card :p

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If you had one buffed minion and 3 totems than your opponent just got seriously lucky if they pulled your buffed minion. They made a gamble that they only had a 1-in-4 chance of winning.

I'm an expert

"Definitely seen it", that's just a ridiculous claim. It's like I shouldn't play Nat Pagle on turn two because there exists a rare called Crazed Alchemist that kills it next turn.

That kind of play doesn't swing a game, MCT swings games, hence being careful. What was ridiculous was calling it the most broken card in game lol. If it had taken one of your 0/2s it would have been fine right? We've all been on the wrong side of rng. But.. did you have to play that totem..? =p

If you had one buffed minion and 3 totems than your opponent just got seriously lucky if they pulled your buffed minion. They made a gamble that they only had a 1-in-4 chance of winning.

I make this bet all the time with brawl. Sometimes it's just 50/50 where I played a mob just to get a chance to wipe their rag or something. I'm sure they feel the pain when I win.

scy

"Definitely seen it", that's just a ridiculous claim. It's like I shouldn't play Nat Pagle on turn two because there exists a rare called Crazed Alchemist that kills it next turn. Like I said you cannot play around MCT reasonably.

While I get your point, MCT is a card I play around precisely because of how this argument started: If it hits properly, it wins games. Everyone who's played a decent amount of Arena has an MCT horror story and 4+ minions is something I actively try to avoid if I can.

I mean, it's not really a gamble unless they used their last 3 mana for it instead of answering it directly. MCT is just a 3/3 that also steals a minion, it's nothing but upside :x

zoukka

That kind of play doesn't swing a game, MCT swings games, hence being careful. What was ridiculous was calling it the most broken card in game lol. If it had taken one of your 0/2s it would have been fine right? We've all been on the wrong side of rng. But.. did you have to play that totem..? =p

It is broken in the most stupid sense possible. Pure RNG, which I can even admit most HS cards aren't. You can reasonably play around a lot of the crazy cards, but every now and then there comes a Mad Bomber that gets three or two for one or a MCT that surpasses all game balance criteria and swings the balance too much to be reasonable in any standards.

While I get your point, MCT is a card I play around precisely because of how this argument started: If it hits properly, it wins games. Everyone who's played a decent amount of Arena has an MCT horror story and 4+ minions is something I actively try to avoid if I can.

Well it's a valid question to be asked if MCT is a card that anyone in their right mind wants in the card pool :b

I'm an expert

It is broken in the most stupid sense possible. Pure RNG, which I can even admit most HS cards aren't. You can reasonably play around a lot of the crazy cards, but every now and then there comes a Mad Bomber that gets three or two for one or a MCT that surpasses all game balance criteria and swings the balance too much to be reasonable in any standards.

As scy said, if you play a decent amount of arena, you've seen this situation happen. Now you've seen it, now you know to expect it. You keep not answering whether you had to play that totem. I'm genuinely saying I wouldn't have because this scenario is always in my head, precisely because it's happened to me too. Now you're a better player. Unless you're going to just blame the card's existence.

I mean, it's not really a gamble unless they used their last 3 mana for it instead of answering it directly. MCT is just a 3/3 that also steals a minion, it's nothing but upside :x

Maybe it should also give your opponent one of your minions, because hearthstone is a fair game

zoukka

As scy said, if you play a decent amount of arena, you've seen this situation happen. Now you've seen it, now you know to expect it. You keep not answering whether you had to play that totem. I'm genuinely saying I wouldn't have because this scenario is always in my head, precisely because it's happened to me too. Now you're a better player. Unless you're going to just blame the card's existence.

I've played arena enough to have seen and played MCT more than enough. But I wouldn't in a million years keep my board at three minions max just because that card exists. It's absolutely ridiculous to claim that's a valid strategy. In 1/100 games you would get punished like this by that card, so you compromise advantage in those 99 games?

scy

Well it's a valid question to be asked if MCT is a card that anyone in their right mind wants in the card pool :b

We are talking about Arena, right? MCT is one of my top picks out of the rare slot. I'm never sad to pick MCT. Ever.

In 1/100 games you would get punished like this by that card, so you compromise advantage in those 99 games?

If I can think of a scenario where getting MCT'd would blow me out and cause a loss where I didn't have it before (e.g., it's unwinnable for them with my current board state) then, yes, I'm not playing an extra minion.

I mean, isn't this just normal risk/reward assessment? I'm a little confused, honestly. MCT triggers at 4+ minions on my side of the board. If I conclude that their only real chance of winning is to steal my biggest minion, I'm not going to open up that avenue if at all possible.

I'm an expert

I've played arena enough to have seen and played MCT more than enough. But I wouldn't in a million years keep my board at three minions max just because that card exists. It's absolutely ridiculous to claim that's a valid strategy. In 1/100 games you would get punished like this by that card, so you compromise advantage in those 99 games?

So by your own admission a card that swings 1% of games is the most broken card in game?

I'm being honest when I say if you watched every game I played in the last 2 weeks, I never play more than 3 creatures when no clear outcome is visible. My hand always has creatures in it. For a variety of reasons, not just mct. There's very little downside, and if I absolutely had to play 5/6/7 I would, but even when I have the lead with nothing but a golem and yeti I won't overextend. Too many wipes in the game. I actually was taught the lesson again this morning when I played a second azure drake with a priest who then board wiped coh, a move I knew to expect but just ignored. I should have stayed at only 1 creature there, which is what I do against EVERY hunter.

Defuso

You should ignore your old games and ask yourself each time:
What do i gain from playing another minion? (Will it advance my position? ) What do i gain from playing NO new minion?
What could potentially go wrong when i play another minion? AND if it does go wrong, how bad will it be? Or: Do i loose then?

And then you play the percentagegame. It is quite as simple as that, even it looks unfair from time to time. If you make the right call and still loose it shouldn't matter.

yes, unless you had bloodlust in your deck or needed a taunt totem for something.

inky

I definitely limit my board to 3 minions if I'm ahead. MCT is a risk I'm not willing to take. It's a very common card in Arena.

If I need the board control or I am setting up lethal or I am comfortable losing any of the minions I don't bother playing around it. Or if I'm worried about it I try to flood the board with low value minions, but that can be risky if you suspect they have been saving an AoE.

scy

Too many wipes in the game.

The greatest lesson from Constructed is that 30 cards is a lot less than you'd think. It's easy to run out of threats when you're giving up X-for-1s. Taking an extra turn or two to win is worth it if means a greater chance of winning.

Well, unless you're worried about some super awesome top deck, I guess.

I'm an expert

The greatest lesson from Constructed is that 30 cards is a lot less than you'd think. It's easy to run out of threats when you're giving up X-for-1s. Taking an extra turn or two to win is worth it if means a greater chance of winning.

Well, unless you're worried about some super awesome top deck, I guess.

It's wipes in conjunction with other plays. There are so many ways to take out multiple cards with little effort and still be able to keep board control. Hunter, mage, pally, war, rogue.. man how many times a double poison blade flurry leaves them with plenty of mana to gain total board control. I always take the extra turn to win. Always.

zoukka

If I need the board control or I am setting up lethal or I am comfortable losing any of the minions I don't bother playing around it. Or if I'm worried about it I try to flood the board with low value minions, but that can be risky if you suspect they have been saving an AoE.

Well there really doesn't exist more low value minions than totems, and yes I wanted a taunt totem to protect my Unbound.

You should ignore your old games and ask yourself each time:
What do i gain from playing another minion? (Will it advance my position? ) What do i gain from playing NO new minion?
What could potentially go wrong when i play another minion? AND if it does go wrong, how bad will it be? Or: Do i loose then?

Yep this is how every play should be made and was made. It obviously backfired as bad as it could and the only valid question remained whether I should've played around a card that has 25% chance of fucking things over or pass a turn without doing anything at all and risking tempo/losing my most valuable minion to a weapon+execute or something.

Everyone is saying the choice was easy which is something I seriously question.

Any death rattle decks people got planned with the new Curse of Naxxramas cards?

200px-Nerubian_Egg.png
+
200px-Baron_Rivendare.png
+
Void_Terror%28119%29.png

Turn 6, get 2 eggs out, opponent most likely won't go for them.
Turn 7, baron, and the Void Terror between the eggs.

Fill your board with a 3/7 Void Terror, the baron, and 4 Nerubians

scy

Everyone is saying the choice was easy which is something I seriously question.

To be fair, the information presented was "I couldn't lose at all and then I did." In that context, it's an easy call to not give them the only out :x

Any death rattle decks people got planned with the new Curse of Naxxramas cards?

Will have to see more of the set but it seems rather gimmicky right now.

I got this from a 3-3 arena run.

Is deathwing good or losing the whole hand is not worthy?

Deathwing is good if you have no minions but your opponent has the board filled with them. But if you're in a situation where that happened, you should probably look at your deck and see what you could have played to avoid getting into that situation in the first place.

So, Deathwing = YOLO.

Kosma

Banned

200px-Nerubian_Egg.png
+
+
Void_Terror%28119%29.png

How about turn 1 get an egg out, turn 2 get second egg out, turn 3 Void Terror?

JesseZao

I got this from a 3-3 arena run.

Is deathwing good or losing the whole hand is not worthy?

He can work in control decks, but you have to live long enough. I just got him this week in a pack and I've been getting good use from him in my holy wrath pally giants deck.

scy

In general, I wouldn't be planning a two turn play that involves "Hope my vital-to-the-combo stuff survives."

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

200px-Nerubian_Egg.png
+
+
Void_Terror%28119%29.png

Turn 7 flamestrike

;-)

Honestly though, for two entire turns to be used pulling that off, and having four cards (including a legend you only have one of in your deck), while powerful, it doesn't seem that broken to me.

And the eggs could get killed or silenced or hexed or polymorphed prior.

scy

But then they've wasted a hard removal spell on a 2-cost minion.
Pretty fair trade I'd say.

If they sheep'd your 0/2, you were going to win without the combo anyway.

Turn 7 flamestrike

;-)

Honestly though, for two entire turns to be used pulling that off, and having four cards (including a legend you only have one of in your deck), while powerful, it doesn't seem that broken to me.

And the eggs could get killed or silenced or hexed or polymorphed prior.

To be fair, it would seem making use of Void Terror is the designed plan for the eggs so there's that. Realistically, it'll probably just see use as a way to Hellfire to sweep the board and end up with a 4/4 (or two) on your side.

Violet_0

Banned
will be interesting to see which class gets the most out of the new deathrattle cards but it'll probably just be Warlocks again

Water

All the decks are free to build, there's no cards you need to spend money to obtain.

You can easily get a couple high-profile decks in next to no time, by going infinite in Arena. Or you can get them in a few months for free if you're not so good lucky. Either way, they don't cost anything.
You replied to me, but I didn't say you need to spend money. What makes the constructed mode initially P2W - by definition - is that players can spend money to gain power.

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Embrace the RNG and don't take the game serious. That's what I have done and it's what makes the game fun again.

JesseZao

You replied to me, but I didn't say you need to spend money. What makes the constructed mode initially P2W - by definition - is that players can spend money to gain power.

P2W - by defintion - would mean paying players get an advantage free players can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom