• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

soldat7

random number generation
= meaning randomness

the term is not exclusive to card games

In his defense, the acronym "RNG" is obscure outside of games (MMO's primarily) and maybe musty computer science books. In fact, the way it's used colloquially as both noun and verb is obnoxious. Then again, terms like "top deck" and "meta" are likewise annoying terms that have found a home in competitive card games. I catch myself using them all the time, to my chagrin.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Coin + Sorcerer's Apprentice + Mirror Image + Mirror Image

I think that's one of the funniest Turn 1 openings I've ever done. Too bad it was against a Paladin and not a Warlock..

Card Boy

Banned

I think that's one of the funniest Turn 1 openings I've ever done. Too bad it was against a Paladin and not a Warlock..

Imagine

Coin + Defias Ringleader + Shadowstep + Defias Ringleader + Shadowstep + Defias Ringleader.

FStop7

Banned

I've seen a variation of this done by aggro Mages with Knife Jugglers.

Sandwich

Neo Member
are these serious questions =O

Yes. Notice that I said "does it run smoothly". I didn't say "does it run smoother".
Stronger hardware will make it run smoother of course. But that's now what I'm asking. I'm asking if it runs smoothly. Like, if you do a lightning storm as a shaman, does that make the game chug on a new generation retina ipad? Or is it completely smooth? If it's completely smooth then I may want a new ipad, if it still chugs a bit then there's no point in upgrading.

And yes, I'm serious about asking if the retina Ipad has better resolution because there are plenty of games that offers "HD" but not "retina". Many games don't take full advantage of the exact resolution of retina ipads and instead only supports the "HD-resolution" of Ipad 2's and such older versions.

So, anyone have any actual info or?

FStop7

Banned
Wow, I just played against the most bumbling Miracle Rogue ever. I'm not kidding, this guy did the dumbest things. He left his auctioneers wide open, didn't bother concealing or shadowstepping them. And he kept taking damage to the face by attacking my minions directly.

Wow, I played for about 80 minutes and jumped from 20 to 15. I've never been ranked this high. All thanks to the Zoolock :D
The jump from 20 to anything else is based mostly on decks. I went from winning about every other time to going on 5 game win streaks just by really planning out and testing a totally basic deck that worked well.

Well, this was a non-ideal hand for this situation:

hearthstone_secrets_1.jpg

Pretty much as soon as their Eaglehorn Bow came out, I started drawing nothing but secrets.

Violet_0

Banned
so what are the chances that they will change the Warlock hero ability at some point
because it is ridicules and will never be not broken

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They would need to overhaul the Warlock class if they do.

llamarawk

My main issue with the game is the constant changing of the board state. Minions rarely last more than a turn or two so you cant really build up a board, or at least its an uphill process. That and the RNG, which a lot of the game seems to rely on.

Kosma

Banned
Played 3 mages in a row so far and 1 hunter. Mages love to waste their frostbolts on my mana wyrm or any other 3 minion as soon as it hits the board.

Haven't drawn more than 1 fireball.

Edit: ended up on a horrible 3/3 run

UpDirmo.jpg

I hate playing against priests. I just hate it.

Not that I never win against them, but it makes me angry if they take control of my best minions.

sohois

Seems like every player around rank 13 is packing a Rag somewhere in their deck, most have multiple legendaries as well. Makes me sad that i've still got nothing more than Onyxia (not that she's a bad card, in fact she's been pretty great for me)

Volimar

I'm stuck at 15 again. Seems to be my skill level, er something.

Also, mind control shouldn't work on legendaries.

<bitter>

Kosma

Banned
3/3 run really makes me feel like I haven't learned anything.

<bitter>

Priests are so annoying. They deserve to be rushed in the face.

keuja

<bitter>

I have an irrational fear of 1/ Priests and 2/ Mages.
Because of their hard removals, I'm always scared of playing 5+ mana Minions.
So I decided to fight fire with fire and now play Priests/Mage in ranked. Mwahahaha!

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
[vent]

Decks that need to go die in a fire;

Zoolock / Brain-dead throw everything on the board + tap. No skill involved, no good plays, just plonking everything on the board so fast that it can't be dealt with.

Handlock / Punishes the opponent for playing the game, rewards the player for not playing the game as long as possible.

Parasite Priest / Wow, you're really owning this priest huh? Oh wait lolno, he Thoughtstole your Jenkins, a Shadowstep and 2x Cold Blood. You're dead now. Wow, through a series of plays you got this really powerful minion on your side of the board that he can't possibl- lolno, Mind Control. Your opponent now has the minion you spent several cards on buffing and destroyed your copy for just playing a single card. Wow, you got a really great opening against this Priest and it'll most likely win you the ga- LOLNO Mindgames > Ysera. Wow, this Priest is dead unless he somehow has Leeroy, like I have in my hand right now. Mind Vision > Leeroy.

I always imagine these players as if this was a physical card game. They'd be annoying little kids that would just randomly pull a card out of your hand or your deck and then claim it is theirs for 'reasons' or take your best card on turn ten when they are losing and then proudly proclaiming 'Ok this is mine now'.

Stall Mage / When they get the right draws, they will win regardless of the quality of the opponent's plays or cards due to being able to freeze the board and/or stall on every turn.

Secret Hunter / Punishes the opponent for playing the game.

[/vent]

Alrus

I feel this game kinda lacks anti-secret cards. It's not that important but it'll be nice to have some way to punish secret decks a bit more.

I have an irrational fear of 1/ Priests and 2/ Mages.
Because of their hard removals, I'm always scared of playing 5+ mana Minions.
So I decided to fight fire with fire and now play Priests/Mage in ranked. Mwahahaha!

Yeah, basically you have to sacrifice the first two 5+ minions you play. You then have about two turns until your best minions get mind controlled.

Gothos

Did they remove 60 gold/100 gold quests? I've been rerolling quests for the last two weeks and all I ever had were 40g quests. Blizz doesn't want us to have more gold?

Minsc

Gold Member
Looks like someone is stirring the hornet's nest a little with some reportedly leaked (though probably fake) image at the bnet forums over the pricing of the PVE (summary take from here):

Wing 1 2 3 4 5 Total
No. of Bosses 3 3 4 3 2 15
No. of legendary 1 1 1 1 1 5
new cards unlocked 4 4 6 5 6 30
in game gold to unlocked wings Free (wings 2-4 can be purchased in any order
500/1000/1500g) Wing 5 (2000) total 5000

The part that clues you in to it obviously being fake is the $90 price tag for unlocking all the content. Blizzard's not quite that greedy, lol. But interesting to see the increasing wing cost rumored, 500/1000/1500/2000, for a total of 5000 gold. It'd be nice to see them address the pricing issue at some point soon, especially if it is going to cost closer to 5,000 gold, so people who don't want to pay can start saving their gold, as 5,000 is a little more than you can manage to save easily if you decide to start from 0 at the launch of the thing.

Kosma

Banned
Increasing cost makes sense because you would be tempted to buy if you couldn't earn the gold fast enough towards the end.

Minsc

Gold Member
What the fuck? Sarcasm?

$90 worth of gold is not low at all. Magic 2015 is coming out next month and is $10 which also has PvE. Took me a month just to save 1000 without spending it.

I dunno, if you do your dailies, you should be getting a minimum of 50g per day (if you got 100% 40g quests), so that's 1500g / month. More likely you'd get at least a few 60g quests (and a whole lot of 60g quests if you rerolled your 40s). So:

40g quests only: 1500g/month
40g/60g mix: ~1875g/month
60g quests only: ~2250g/month
40g/60g mix + 100g daily limit: ~4500g/month
40g/60g mix + arena: infinite g/month

So you should be able to get it with about 2 months of play, on average if you save all your gold. It would probably be the sweet spot for the more hardcore players, at 5,000g. Many of them probably already have close to 5,000 gold, going by that thread, quite a few commented such.

Edit: The real problem is the $ price. At $90, they would actually not be making money from this content, it is such a ridiculous price that it would encourage people to save the gold as high as it is in gold, not spend money. Unless maybe people use gold for wings 2-4, then just spend $25 on wing 5, but that sounds crazy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom