• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
But, for discussion reasons....

Is the Auctioneer balanced overall or should it be nerfed?

seen some legendary shamans on reddit arguing that he's somewhat weaker than Azure Drake. He'll most likely never survive another turn and you can't really drop him into an empty board at 5 mana without coin+spell. Some high-rank shamans don't even use him anymore

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Who knows. Maybe people will get used to it but I wager there will always be the same kind of posts from here on out and I'll just need to glance over the venting posts :x
Yeah it's hard to check this thread sometimes... Like I want to ignore the whining and focus on the rest of the conversations, but I let it get to me too easily.
I'll try not to whine/vent anymore. xP

Well, apart from this one last inconsistency though; Aldor Peacekeeper seems to be more powerful than it actually says on the card. I had an enraged Grommash on the field, and my opponent played Peacekeeper on it. Gromm's attack changed to 1. Now, in other scenarios, this makes sense; static attack buffs will and should be removed by Peacekeeper since it should look at the attack stat, and change it to 1. However, the card text on Gromm is not a static buff, it is a dynamic buff due to the enrage mechanic; it adds attack points to the base stat while Gromm is damaged. Peacekeeper should just change that base stat (4 attack) to 1, and then Gromm should have been buffed up again by the enrage effect, but he didn't. So apparently, Peacekeeper also silences enrage effects. Just thought that would be fun to know! Match was fun though. It ended in a loss for me after a long struggle due to running out of cards and him having Rag on the field. It killed my Sylvanas, but she stole a token instead of Rag.
Wait will i get ol murkeye when i unlock all other murlocks?
Yup, and to get it golden, you'll need to get all other golden Murlocs.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Wait will i get ol murkeye when i unlock all other murlocks?

Yep, I got him the other day. I don't think a murloc deck is worth playing until you get two of every murloc card and murkeye.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
61SoIDx.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/tb/25cy6o
4 + 4 + 6 + 5 + 6 = 30
The missing 5 is the 5 legendaries in the row above, though I still think it's fake.

edit: and even if real, the information is flowing from english -> chinese -> english via an illegal gold boosting site so misinformation is likely.

Well, apart from this one last inconsistency though; Aldor Peacekeeper seems to be more powerful than it actually says on the card. I had an enraged Grommash on the field, and my opponent played Peacekeeper on it. Gromm's attack changed to 1. Now, in other scenarios, this makes sense; static attack buffs will and should be removed by Peacekeeper since it should look at the attack stat, and change it to 1. However, the card text on Gromm is not a static buff, it is a dynamic buff due to the enrage mechanic; it adds attack points to the base stat while Gromm is damaged. Peacekeeper should just change that base stat (4 attack) to 1, and then Gromm should have been buffed up again by the enrage effect, but he didn't. So apparently, Peacekeeper also silences enrage effects. Just thought that would be fun to know! Match was fun though. It ended in a loss for me after a long struggle due to running out of cards and him having Rag on the field. It killed my Sylvanas, but she stole a token instead of Rag.

This seems correct to me. Aldor puts a magic effect that sets the current attack to 1. If you silenced it, it would revert back (but you'd lose the enrage). I bet if you heal Gromm, then redamage him, it'll then put the +5 on top of the 1.

scy

It depends largely on the response afterwards. I get that my tone sucks ass for a lot of this but I mean, I do get the need to vent on it. And I get that most people don't really think largely "EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GAME IS UNFAIR" all the time. It's when the response after is still "lol no its so fucking stupid this is dumb" where I kind of sigh and wonder. I just like the discussion in general, though.

Really, I more think I should just avoid it for the sake of avoiding making people angry at me and not because of the discussion itself, basically. I just needlessly reply to too much stuff.

Well, apart from this one last inconsistency though; Aldor Peacekeeper seems to be more powerful than it actually says on the card.

Aldor sets to 1 and this overrides literally everything in the game. Effects that apply AFTER this, however, will then apply again. It's less stacking a bunch of total auras and more a sequence of effects being applied.

The missing 5 is the 5 legendaries in the row above, though I still think it's fake.

edit: and even if real, the information is flowing from english -> chinese -> english via an illegal gold boosting site so misinformation is likely.

Which is inconsistent with the way it's displayed anyway, unless there's text to indicate otherwise. Still, it's fake so eh :x

slayn

It comes down to how you interpret enrage I suppose. One could interpret it as, 'while damaged, the minion gets x' in which case I would expect grommash to still get his enrage buff after being aldored or one could interpret it as 'the act of going from undamaged to damaged gives a buff of x' in which case grommash got his one time enrage and then set to 1.

I'm curious now though, does grommash get enraged again if he takes another point of damage after the aldor or does he have to be healed to full first and then damaged? I don't actually know.

depths20XX

This seems correct to me. Aldor puts a magic effect that sets the current attack to 1. If you silenced it, it would revert back (but you'd lose the enrage). I bet if you heal Gromm, then redamage him, it'll then put the +5 on top of the 1.

Yeah I think it sounds correct also. My question is after his attack is set to one and he then gets damaged again does the enrage proc? I think it should if it doesn't.

Miles X

Ugh, getting a black ish screen glitch, everytime I load the game up it goes to a previous battle that frozen/faded black screen.

SO yesterday because i am tired of losing to Priests, i played one myself... got that card where the damage is equal to health. Doubled his health twice to 20, so he was 20/20 (all before turn 5) and then gave him 1/1 and taunt with that give adjacent taunts by turn 6 or something and dealth 21 damage to the hero...

I then did absolutely nothing but throw out taunts among other useless cards that did nothing but distract him for a few more turns while I waited for spell damage cards. after hitting turn 10 i finally had deal 5 damage to enemy hero, and 2 deal 2 damage spells.

I won without doing practically anything beyond decoys.

How are people ok with this?

Minsc

Gold Member
Which is inconsistent with the way it's displayed anyway, unless there's text to indicate otherwise. Still, it's fake so eh :x

Actually, looks like we got a blue to post in that thread without straight out denying the image (just the usual "we haven't said anything about pricing and when we do, you'll know"), so maybe not fake! ;)

depths20XX

SO yesterday because i am tired of losing to Priests, i played one myself... got that card where the damage is equal to health. Doubled his health twice to 20, so he was 20/20 (all before turn 5) and then gave him 1/1 and taunt with that give adjacent taunts by turn 6 or something and dealth 21 damage to the hero...

I then did absolutely nothing but throw out taunts among other useless cards that did nothing but distract him for a few more turns while I waited for spell damage cards. after hitting turn 10 i finally had deal 5 damage to enemy hero, and 2 deal 2 damage spells.

I'm fine with it. Also, most decks should have answers for things like that.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
It depends largely on the response afterwards. I get that my tone sucks ass for a lot of this but I mean, I do get the need to vent on it. And I get that most people don't really think largely "EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GAME IS UNFAIR" all the time. It's when the response after is still "lol no its so fucking stupid this is dumb" where I kind of sigh and wonder. I just like the discussion in general, though.

Really, I more think I should just avoid it for the sake of avoiding making people angry at me and not because of the discussion itself, basically. I just needlessly reply to too much stuff.

Aldor sets to 1 and this overrides literally everything in the game. Effects that apply AFTER this, however, will then apply again. It's less stacking a bunch of total auras and more a sequence of effects being applied.
Oh, I don't blame you scy.

And Peacekeeper overriding all on-card buffs makes sense. Though I guess it doesn't override active buffs given by other minions (Like Dire Wolf Alpha), since Equality similarly doesn't override Stormwind Champion buffs, is that correct?

And can any of you give me insight on this 'conundrum' I posted earlier;
I just played against a Priest that played Sylvanas Windrunner and killed it with Shadow Word: Death to take control of my Gadgetzan Auctioneer that I had just cast Conceal on. That is fine and a clever way to deal with a stealth minion and I have no problems with that. However, when he handed over the turn to me, the Gadgetzan Auctioneer retained stealth despite Conceal clearly stating that it will give friendly minions Stealth until the start of the caster's next turn. I was the one that had cast Conceal, thus the Gadgetzan Auctioneer should have lost stealth at the start of my turn, but it didn't.

In other words; The stealth-effect cast upon Gadgetzan Auctioneer by Conceal was reset upon the minion switching control, disrespecting the context in which Conceal was originally cast and ignoring the original caster of the spell.

Is this how this specific mechanic is supposed to work in this situation? Is Conceal supposed to disrespect the context in which it was cast and reset upon a change of control of a minion on which it has been cast?
Still haven't gotten a satisfying answer on that one and the Blizzard forums aren't of much help...

silence, sap, hex, polymorph, siphon soul, execute, assassinate, earthshock, etc, etc.

edit: conceal says "your next turn" not the caster's next turn. when you steal a minion you steal everything about it.

ultron87

And can any of you give me insight on this problem I posted earlier;

Still haven't gotten a satisfying answer on that one and the Blizzard forums aren't of much help...

I'm thinking that that works how it did because Conceal is a one-shot effect that gives each of your minions stealth until time X and not a continuous effect that is constantly checking each of your minions.

zoukka

People are ok with this because that strategy is countered by one removal or silence effect.

And nobody still hasn't told me why shadow madness and mind control work differently... It was pretty funny when I argued with someone for a long time that shadow madness should just say it gives charge. Well it does after some updates now, it shows the charge animation.

My problem is that this is just one of many opporunities for greatness that the priest has. I could have won the game at any point before the spells and chose not to...

the overall win rate for priest is probably the lowest of any class. those kinds of gimmicks are wildly inconsistent against experienced players with well built decks.

Kenaras

And it still bugs me that he "created" Zoo when it was a deck that was in the meta for months before he became popular ;__; Then I still call it Zoo too so #partoftheproblem.

Zoo certainly built on earlier Warlock decks, but Reynad was responsible for popularizing quite a few minion choices - Shieldbearer, Doomguard, Dire Wolf Alpha; Pit Lord in the early version. I'm sure there were other players using these cards, but the playerbase at large generally ignores cards until they're either used by a popular streamer or used to win a major tournament.

But yeah, overall it's just the current flavor of the Warlock minion deck that used to dominate before half its minions were nerfed.

Bizazedo

I'm thinking that that works how it did because Conceal is a one-shot effect that gives each of your minions stealth until time X and not a continuous effect that is constantly checking each of your minions.

Right. It's similar to how if you shadow command a Loot Hoarder and kill him, you get the card as opposed to his owner. Or if you Shadow command the 2/3 with deathrattle and kill it, you keep the 2/1. It doesn't return at the end of the turn to the player from whom you took it.

When he stole your card, he became the friendly player....but it was after the "beginning of the turn" the Conceal card is looking for, so that requirement to de-stealth had not yet been hit.

slayn

Oh, I don't blame you scy.
Nothing in hearthstone ever cares about the original owner of anything. Casting conceal on the auctioneer gives it the buff 'has stealth until the start of your next turn.' where 'your' refers to the owner of the minion.

So until the start of the priest's next turn, the auctioneer has not had this buff at the start of it's owner's turn.

the overall win rate for priest is probably the lowest of any class. those kinds of gimmicks are wildly inconsistent against experienced players with well built decks.

I must suck at this game then because the Priest is the only hero I have little success against.

And sure, you can play any number of status nullifying/minion kill cards... IF YOU DRAW THEM. And what if you have a successful build that doesn't use any of those cards? What about the people that don't use Silences? Why should those people have to tweak their build to face one hero when they do fine against any of the other heroes?

Its just annoying to me that I can struggle so much against 1 hero and do fine against the others.

For the record, I use silences, and they are only good when you actually draw them. But most of the time it doesn't matter because if I don't kill them by turn 10, they steal my best cards. it sucks having to play a priest when they get to turn 10 and you fear playing your high damage/health minions for fear of them taking control of them. The priest has a lot of pros and not many cons. The idea that they are nothing but gimmicks baffles me. Clearly I need to play AS them more i guess to see what you guys see.

Meanwhile, blizzard is more concerned with nerfing UTH combos by 1 mana that makes absolutely no difference whatsoever in my opinion.

scy

And nobody still hasn't told me why shadow madness and mind control work differently... It was pretty funny when I argued with someone for a long time that shadow madness should just say it gives charge. Well it does after some updates now, it shows the charge animation.

Think that was with me. It's just an implied Charge with the End of Turn part of the text. Though it should say it for the sake of clarity.

I must suck at this game then because the Priest is the only hero I have little success against.

Meanwhile, blizzard is more concerned with nerfing UTH combos by 1 mana that makes absolutely no difference whatsoever in my opinion.

I feel like both these sentences just have the same response: Just not enough experience with the game in general.

ZealousD

Priest is very strong in the late game but they are very susceptible to aggro decks in the early game. Unless they can inner fire a lightwell a priest never has an aggressive opening.

the crazy priest combos are only good if you draw them. you can use the "if you draw them" excuse for pretty much everything.

and silence is just really strong in general. it isn't only good against priest.

And sure, you can play any number of status nullifying/minion kill cards... IF YOU DRAW THEM. And what if you have a successful build that doesn't use any of those cards? What about the people that don't use Silences? Why should those people have to tweak their build to face one hero when they do fine against any of the other heroes?

Its just annoying to me that I can struggle so much against 1 hero and do fine against the others.

For the record, I use silences, and they are only good when you actually draw them. But most of the time it doesn't matter because if I don't kill them by turn 10, they steal my best cards. it sucks having to play a priest when they get to turn 10 and you fear playing your high damage/health minions for fear of them taking control of them. The priest has a lot of pros and not many cons. The idea that they are nothing but gimmicks baffles me. Clearly I need to play AS them more i guess to see what you guys see.

See its these posts...

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
conceal says "your next turn" not the caster's next turn. when you steal a minion you steal everything about it.
But at the time of casting Conceal, 'your next turn' always references the caster's next turn, and thus the effect put on the minions should expire at the caster's next turn. There is no reason for 'your next turn' to change, because at the time of casting, 'your next turn' is a set point in the future and that set point should be cast on the minion.

As of right now, it seems like the effect just literally takes 'your' instead of whoever 'your' refers to at the casting of Conceal and changing sides would turn this 'your' around to the new owner, thus prolonging the stealth because until the new 'your next turn', so it basically resets Conceal as if it has just been cast by the new owner. I just don't think that's how spells (or this spell specifically) are supposed to work. They are to be cast once and then apply a static effect, not an effect that changes and / or resets upon a change of control (unless the spell's card text specifically mentions this).

It seems to me that Blizzard intended this card to function in a way that it gives your minions stealth for one turn, this not being prolonged by a change of control of a minion on which it has been cast. As of right now, Conceal can be extended by several turns by changing control. Either way, I think a text change would be nice (Like they did with Sap). Either 'Give your minions stealth until the owner's next turn' if the effect as it currently is works as intended or 'Give your minions stealth for one turn at the start of your opponent's turn' if it doesn't.

scy

Priest is very strong in the late game but they are very susceptible to aggro decks in the early game. Unless they can inner fire a lightwell a priest never has an aggressive opening.

And most midgame stuff since the popular minions in general are anti-Priest. A lot of the phases of the game are stacked against Priest that it doesn't tend to matter too much that their end-game is one of the best in the game (and the best anti-Control, really).

If you're playing a super slow deck against a Priest then, yes, it kind of sucks. But most the super slow decks have some mid-game contingency that deals with it. Priests and Paladins are basically the best anti-Control classes.

ZealousD

And most midgame stuff since the popular minions in general are anti-Priest. A lot of the phases of the game are stacked against Priest that it doesn't tend to matter too much that their end-game is one of the best in the game (and the best anti-Control, really).

If you're playing a super slow deck against a Priest then, yes, it kind of sucks. But most the super slow decks have some mid-game contingency that deals with it. Priests and Paladins are basically the best anti-Control classes.

Yeah, I feel like I have to heavily rely on Holy Nova to survive the mid game. Otherwise I'm screwed.

scy

Just to add on to the Conceal thing, it's because the effect is given to the Minion itself. It's next turn is what the game is looking for, not the owner's. I believe the game works this way to try and separate tying a card to a player to make it easier for the return to hand logic in general.

Grio

Neo Member
I have yet to run into one who respected Brawl.
Speaking of and separately, if so many people are playing the game, why do I keep running into names I recognize from prior matches.

Blizzard's set up runs through sub net priorities with respect to regional protocols. :)

Basically, Blizzard's matching will place you where the connection is best with regard to what region your in. (NA, EU, etc.) Typically, this is within your own subnet which is static for non-mobile users.

Hopefully this helps!

Nome

You can't buff a minion that much in one turn early on. That's key. And even if you do, the opponent has a turn to respond before you can do any damage with it. What separates UTH from what you mentioned is that UTH combos can lethal you when your opponent has *nothing* on the board--there's no counterplay to it.

I can only assume you got to buff a minion to 20/20 over two or three turns. Whenever I play against Priest or Shaman, I generally try to clear as much as possible for this reason--even if he did 2 damage to your minion, that would've delayed your buffing significantly.

ultron87

Not Lightspawn!

So Lightspawn must have some version of a characteristic defining ability that is constantly checking and modifying its power. So that overrides and ignores any power setting or modifying effects. That even ignores stuff like a friendly Raid Leader, right? So the hierarchy is something like Power Setting/Power Modification buffs in timestamp order -> effects from other minions -> Lightspawn ability.

The one rule thing that always throws me is the stuff a Faceless Manipulator will copy. It seems so weird that it copies buffs and damage taken.

inky

Just had a hilarious match against a Handlock, which usually fucks me over because Druid has shit removal.

His last cards: Leeroy, Jaraxxus (which I'm pretty sure he had been saving for a while).
My last cards: Defender of Argus and Swipe.

As all Jaraxxus players he was being all smug and stuff with emotes, until:

MISTAKE! is right. LOL managed a small win streak to sneak into rank 8.

Triz

Perhaps I missed it bu I asked yesterday if there was a way to change card backs on the ipad version. I cant seem to find it?

edit, duh its in the options.

blackflag

I need to stop playing arena. I have the worst luck. Just drafted a deck where I was never given an option to get....fireball, frostbolt, flamestrike, or basically any dd spell.

Serves me right for choosing Mage I guess.

ZealousD

So Lightspawn must have some version of a characteristic defining ability that is constantly checking and modifying its power. So that overrides and ignores any power setting or modifying effects. That even ignores stuff like a friendly Raid Leader, right? So the hierarchy is something like Power Setting/Power Modification buffs in timestamp order -> effects from other minions -> Lightspawn ability.

Its ability is that its attack is ALWAYS equal to its health. So you can't alter its attack without altering its health or silencing it. So something like Dark Iron Dwarf doesn't help and you would actually reduce its attack using Cruel Taskmaster.

FStop7

Banned
Lightspawns are dangerous even when silenced. If you silence one its attack falls to zero. But if you fail to kill it the Priest could still use Divine Spirit and Inner Fire to do some serious harm.

I need to stop playing arena. I have the worst luck. Just drafted a deck where I was never given an option to get....fireball, frostbolt, flamestrike, or basically any dd spell.

Serves me right for choosing Mage I guess.

the solution to this problem is to play more not less and increase your odds of a good draft.

Had Sylvanas out and he plays Deathwing...Oops!...Concede.

Sylvanas is starting to become one my more favorite legendaries.

I'm shocked at all these priest complaints...While fun to play, they suck and are inconsistent..A couple of well-played silences go a long way. As just as they can steal good stuff from you with thoughtsteal, they can also end up with junk..

Kosma

Banned
Lightspawns are dangerous even when silenced. If you silence one its attack falls to zero. But if you fail to kill it the Priest could still use Divine Spirit and Inner Fire to do some serious harm.

Yeah i found out about this the hard way once :(

Majine

Banned
Battled this priest who had double cleric out so he could get a shitton of cards in his hands. The game ended with him losing because he had no cards left.

Feels good, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom