• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

Disconnected and reconnected but seemed like the game didn't record the win for me just now, which sucks. Was on a streak and would have gone up to rank 10.

The game itself was against a most peculiar Hunter deck; guy just seemed to have endless card draw but the only purpose of the draw was to get more card draw cards. Bizarre, no idea how he aimed to actually win

Water

WTF?

I'm no arena master but that looks like a pretty good deck?

That's a rush deck with tons of small creatures. I presume what happens is that druid trades, wraths, swipes and bites enough that this deck can't do decent damage early, then starts dropping a progressively bigger taunt every turn -> gg

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Hi - judging by the discussions here, most posters sound like hardened vets... What classes would you recommend a newbie master to begin with? I've been focusing on the mage so far. I gather the priest is better for advanced players. Grateful for any tips!

Also, is there a battle.net ID share? I'd love to play against fellow Gaffers.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Hi - judging by the discussions here, most posters sound like hardened vets... What classes would you recommend a newbie master to begin with? I've been focusing on the mage so far. I gather the priest is better for advanced players. Grateful for any tips!

Warlock or druid.

Raxus

Warlocks is strong and easy to build while warrior and druid tend to take a while to get them too full strength (legendary).

Mage is another good beginner class.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
From experience, Mage seems to be the easiest for beginners, Druids aren't bad either but they cost so much to make a great deck.

Zechs

Hey everyone! Just got accepted to Gaf and along with the pickups of the month thread, this is one of my faves here as I am hooked on Hearthstone. Hope to have to lively discussions with you all!

Sandwich

Neo Member
I've made a Paladin deck that can go toe to toe with the standard zoo/miracle/whatever decks at the early single-digit ranks in ranked mode. I dunno if the deck has any kind of "gimmick" or "theme" to it. It's just.. strong cards that help keep control of the board and such and also can deal with some of the heavy hitters they bring out during the end of matches.

1x Hand of Protection
(For those obvious "if only I had shield" moments. I get good use out of it.
2x Noble Sacrifice
(When used right, they screw others over and keeps my board strong. Good synergy with my Sword of Justice)
2x Argent Squire
(Obvious great early game value)
2x Argent Protector
(Same as Hand of Protection, just better)
1x Knife Juggler
(Good synergy with some other cards/minions and hero-power)
1x Sunfury Protector
(Mostly for those late-game moments)
1x Sword of Justice
(Good value on 5 minions and has great synergy with noble sacrifice and hero-power)
2x Aldor Peacekeeper
(Great for those late game moments or for making great trades on the board mid-game)
1x Big Game Hunter
(End game life-saver)
2x Harvest Golem
(Great value and has good synergy with Sword of Justice)
2x Scarlet Crusader
(Because shield)
1x Truesilver Champion
(Good midgame removal)
1x Blessing of Kings
(For those "if only I had more stats" moments. Often get good trades with it)
1x Consecration
(Obvious removal)
2x Hammer of Wrath
(Obvious single target removal)
2x Defender of Argus
(Good value buffs and favorable trades and protection)
1x Avenging Wrath
(I only wish I had 2 of these. So powerful)
1x Argent Commander
(Removal+minion)
1x Cairne Bloodhoof
(This card is a bit random but I like its general value and synergy with Sword of Justice)
1x Guardian of Kings
(This one heal and generally strong minion is great to have towards endgame)
1x Lay on Hands
(If it's safe to play, it gives great value and endgame "stamina")
1x Ragnaros the Firelord
(Because I like it. I often have it in my decks. It's random but often does good work before it's removed)

Now, some of these cards are there partly because I only have 1 of a different card that I otherwise would have had 2 of. But overall it works pretty good. It also helps that the people I play against are used to playing against the obvious zoo/miracle/warrior decks and so they can't plan effectively against my paladin and I often get good trades as a result.

Darkone

Tried arena for the first time since i started last week and i got 0/3 :(, last play was so close He was with 1 health and i with 7, got me down to 1 and used a weapon to finish me off, if i weren't at work i would punch the screen.
At least i got a pack & 25G, just 25 more for another try.

I've made a Paladin deck that can go toe to toe with the standard zoo/miracle/whatever decks at the early single-digit ranks in ranked mode. I dunno if the deck has any kind of "gimmick" or "theme" to it. It's just.. strong cards that help keep control of the board and such and also can deal with some of the heavy hitters they bring out during the end of matches.

1x Cairne Bloodhoof
(This card is a bit random but I like its general value and synergy with Sword of Justice)

1x Ragnaros the Firelord
(Because I like it. I often have it in my decks. It's random but often does good work before it's removed)

Aren't you allowed to put only one legendary card in your deck?

Grio

Neo Member
Can it be two headed giant time now? I have no idea why they have arena, but no team play (I mean in WoW you can't do arena unless it's 2v2...). Yes, I realize that some of the mechanics may be different in this game type, but I truly think the game would be fine with 2v2 , 3v1 format.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Can it be two headed giant time now? I have no idea why they have arena, but no team play (I mean in WoW you can't do arena unless it's 2v2...). Yes, I realize that some of the mechanics may be different in this game type, but I truly think the game would be fine with 2v2 , 3v1 format.

I'm sure it will come, but the first incarnation of the game didn't have the resources behind it to offer so many modes.

sohois

Has anyone ever seen Lightning storm, the Shaman spell, hit 3 health minions for 2? (or 4 health or 3 if they have the totem)

I've had my share of RNG luck lately with knife juggler, but I swear every single time with this card it hits perfectly for every minion. God it's annoying.

Climbed into the 10 ranks at last. Seems it's going to take an age to get to 5 or higher though

Has anyone ever seen Lightning storm, the Shaman spell, hit 3 health minions for 2? (or 4 health or 3 if they have the totem)

I've had my share of RNG luck lately with knife juggler, but I swear every single time with this card it hits perfectly for every minion. God it's annoying.

Climbed into the 10 ranks at last. Seems it's going to take an age to get to 5 or higher though

happens all the time for me. I try to minimize the impact of it either by getting more spellpower onto the board(I pretty much always run thalnos in shaman) or by reserving a few ways to mop up the remains.

Zechs

That ALWAYS happens to me lol. Playing Zoolock for quests, shaman no hand, me soulfire in hand, 5 minions on board, him, 1 totem, no hand, guess what he topdecks? Storm.

But not before the miraculous spell damage totem comes lol

Sandwich

Neo Member
The most dependable thing in Hearthstone is that if you play against a mage, they always have Frostbolt on turn 2 (or coin turn 1) in ranked mode.

It's as if the game is coded in such a way that the chance of having Frostbolt in your starting hand as a mage is 99% or something.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The most dependable thing in Hearthstone is that if you play against a mage, they always have Frostbolt on turn 2 (or coin turn 1) in ranked mode.

It's as if the game is coded in such a way that the chance of having Frostbolt in your starting hand as a mage is 99% or something.

And backstab for rogue, and axe for war, and cleric for priest..

yeah if you go second the odds of you having a particular 2 drop, assuming 2 copies, are pretty high. same reason warriors seem to always have fiery war axe.

Bizazedo

Now, some of these cards are there partly because I only have 1 of a different card that I otherwise would have had 2 of. But overall it works pretty good. It also helps that the people I play against are used to playing against the obvious zoo/miracle/warrior decks and so they can't plan effectively against my paladin and I often get good trades as a result.
Looks like an early rushdown deck and then a few big minions / cards like Ragnaros show up.
1 Truesilver and 1 Consecrate is ballsy, I'll give you that.

Sohois said:
Yeah, all the time. Last night in fact.

Sandwich

Neo Member
Hehe ye.

Actually, I read somewhere (don't remember where, so dunno if it's actually true) that Blizzard coded the game in such a way that the chance of getting low cost cards at the start of your game is higher than high cost cards. And that they did this to make sure that games start out reasonably for both players most of the time, to avoid one player simply getting screwed on the initial draw and being unable to recover in the majority of matches.

I'm an expert

Hehe ye.

Actually, I read somewhere (don't remember where, so dunno if it's actually true) that Blizzard coded the game in such a way that getting low cost cards at the start of your game is higher than high cost cards. And that they did this to make sure that games start out reasonably for both players most of the time, to avoid one player simply getting screwed on the initial draw and being unable to recover in the majority of matches.

Tell that to my Ysera.

scy

Hehe ye.

Actually, I read somewhere (don't remember where, so dunno if it's actually true) that Blizzard coded the game in such a way that the chance of getting low cost cards at the start of your game is higher than high cost cards. And that they did this to make sure that games start out reasonably for both players most of the time, to avoid one player simply getting screwed on the initial draw and being unable to recover in the majority of matches.

#tinfoil

Kansoku

Hehe ye.

Hahaha, my experiences tell otherwise

Grio

Neo Member
Hehe ye.

This sounds awfully trollish to me.

If the game was coded this way, then there would already be determined winners going into a game. The actual play on the board would be less effective as well because each player would be drawing cards that they'd need within the next few turns rather than say King Krush turn 3.

Sandwich

Neo Member
This sounds awfully trollish to me.

If the game was coded this way, then there would already be determined winners going into a game. The actual play on the board would be less effective as well because each player would be drawing cards that they'd need within the next few turns rather than say King Krush turn 3.

Trollish? Exactly how many disclaimers of "dunno if this is true" does one have to make before people stop making downputting replies around here?

Anyway, you are overreacting a bit to this concept. "higher chance" doesn't mean "you get all your low cost cards first". It doesn't mean that at all. In game design, just a tiny % higher chance is enough to tip the average amount of " mostly unreasonable draws" over the line into the realm of "mostly reasonable". It also doesn't mean that this effect is in play during the whole match, just the initial draw/swap.

And again, I dunno if it's true or not. I simply said I read that somewhere and I don't remember where.

So chill.

TimeKillr

[snip]

I don't know if the others will agree with me, but here's what I'd change.

Take out the following cards:
Hand of Protection - it's shit and a tempo loss. Not only that, it's often a dead card imo - as far as I'm concerned it's only useful if you're about to combo a huge Blood Knight.
Sunfury Protector - you already have 2 Argus. I'd go all in with either, but not 2 Argus + 1 Sunfury. You don't have a lot of high cost minions, so Argus is better value late-game.

I would potentially remove:
Guardian of Kings - you already have Lay on Hands, and with 2 Truesilver Champions you have 4x 2 heals for much better value.

I'm also kind of usure about Sword of Justice. It's nice, but you need much more of a token deck with a lot of creatures for it to be useful, imo. Also since a *ton* of people run Oozes (at the minimum 1) now because of Control Warrior (especially in ranks 10 and down) it'll get oozed a ton, unless they're expecting Tirion Fordring (which you don't have anyway - it'd be a great card for this deck).

Scarlet Crusader is cute for the shield, but it's use is typically limited to Zoo decks where it'll shine the most (or in conjunction with a Blood Knight, which would work very well in this deck).

Add in
1x Consecrate (for 2)
1x Truesilver Champion (insane OP weapon)

As for other potential adds:
1 more Knife Juggler (it's basically a minion with taunt, btw)
1 more Argent Crusader (awesome value)
1 or 2 Equality (very powerful 100% board clear, will help against big threats and Zoo when they pump up above 2 HP when comboed with Consecration)

scy

Trollish? Exactly how many disclaimers of "dunno if this is true" does one have to make before people stop making downputting replies around here?

Alternatively, it was "trollish" to whomever said it originally that you read it from and not that you were saying it here. Which is probably what was meant.

Anyway, you are overreacting a bit to this concept. "higher chance" doesn't mean "you get all your low cost cards first". It doesn't mean that at all.

On the contrary, it kind of does in the long run if the game is weighted in any manner as it allows you to give the slight disrespect to aggro (e.g., cutting 1-2 cards, maybe more) and rely on the weighting + smart mulligans to skew the curve.

Regardless, this is 100% false.

Hehe ye.

This seems like a terrible idea if this were actually true. I'm highly doubtful of the validity though.

Sandwich

Neo Member
I don't know if the others will agree with me, but here's what I'd change.

Take out the following cards:
Hand of Protection - it's shit and a tempo loss. Not only that, it's often a dead card imo - as far as I'm concerned it's only useful if you're about to combo a huge Blood Knight.
Sunfury Protector - you already have 2 Argus. I'd go all in with either, but not 2 Argus + 1 Sunfury. You don't have a lot of high cost minions, so Argus is better value late-game.

I would potentially remove:
Guardian of Kings - you already have Lay on Hands, and with 2 Truesilver Champions you have 4x 2 heals for much better value.

I'm also kind of usure about Sword of Justice. It's nice, but you need much more of a token deck with a lot of creatures for it to be useful, imo. Also since a *ton* of people run Oozes (at the minimum 1) now because of Control Warrior (especially in ranks 10 and down) it'll get oozed a ton, unless they're expecting Tirion Fordring (which you don't have anyway - it'd be a great card for this deck).

Scarlet Crusader is cute for the shield, but it's use is typically limited to Zoo decks where it'll shine the most (or in conjunction with a Blood Knight, which would work very well in this deck).

Add in
1x Consecrate (for 2)
1x Truesilver Champion (insane OP weapon)

As for other potential adds:
1 more Knife Juggler (it's basically a minion with taunt, btw)
1 more Argent Crusader (awesome value)
1 or 2 Equality (very powerful 100% board clear, will help against big threats and Zoo when they pump up above 2 HP when comboed with Consecration)

Thanks for that. I'll look into that and try modify it a bit. :)

This seems like a terrible idea if this were actually true. I'm highly doubtful of the validity though.

Ye, probably not true. If it were true, then it would be equal for both players, except for the simple fact that some builds would take more advantage of this than others, which would make the game a bit lopsided. So because of that, I hope it's not true as well.

Alternatively, it was "trollish" to whomever said it originally that you read it from and not that you were saying it here. Which is probably what was meant.

Ah, if so I'm sorry to the guy I quoted!

I've finally got enough dust to craft a legendary.
Any suggestions for what i should craft?

I prefer neutral one of course,so I canuse it as many decks as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom