• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT| Why tap cards when you can roll need [Naxx final wing out now]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've finally got enough dust to craft a legendary.
Any suggestions for what i should craft?

I prefer neutral one of course,so I canuse it as many decks as possible.

Either Leeroy, Cairne, Ragnaros or Thalnos, I'd say. Depends on what types of decks you like playing. Leeroy is a strong finisher for a lot of decks and is basically required for hunter and rogue.

Water

Either Leeroy, Cairne, Ragnaros or Thalnos, I'd say. Depends on what types of decks you like playing. Leeroy is a strong finisher for a lot of decks and is basically required for hunter and rogue.

Thalnos seems a bit underwhelming on the fun factor for a first legendary. Great value guy for sure, but doesn't exactly change the game.

Thalnos?
+1 spell damage is useful just for mages, and for a 2 mana 1/1 minion that lets you draw a card you can always use Novice Engineer. I don't understand why this card is even legendary.

depths20XX

Thalnos?
+1 spell damage is useful just for mages, and for a 2 mana 1/1 minion that lets you draw a card you can always use Novice Engineer. I don't understand why this card is even legendary.

It's great in Shaman decks.

I do think the draw card effect should be a battlecry rather than a deathrattle though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Thalnos?

+spell damage is useful for many classes, not just mages. Having a cheap +1 spell damage is a great for of almost all classes because you can combo it into cards like AOEs or some direct damage spells like eviscerate. And novice engineer is not going to get you plus spell damage.

Sandwich

Neo Member
Made some alterations to my paladin deck. Removed some stuff and added another consecration, 2 equalities and another weapon.

It's kinda funny to go up against a Handlock that plays loads of molten giants and such and gives them taunt. Then I equality and avenging wrath on them and finish him off with my weapon :D

Ikkarus

I'm at my best arena level yet 6-1.

I got lucky and pulled a Rag for my Paladin class. He actually won me the last game I played, opponent had 3 minions out I had 2, dropped Rag and he went straight for the opponent who was only at 8hp. I felt kind of dirty to be honest.

Sandwich

Neo Member
I'm at my best arena level yet 6-1.

I got lucky and pulled a Rag for my Paladin class. He actually won me the last game I played, opponent had 3 minions out I had 2, dropped Rag and he went straight for the opponent who was only at 8hp. I felt kind of dirty to be honest.

Thanks to Hearthstone we now know where the old saying "ragging on people" came from!

FStop7

Banned
Miracle vs. Zoo:

If you can get out the early Edwin it really screws over the Zoo player, because he'll have to waste a Soulfire or all of his taunts trying to stop it. I managed to get a 10/10 Edwin out on turn 3 and there was nothing the guy could do to stop it. He Soulfired it but it still had 6 health left. Then he put up a taunt and I sapped it. Then he managed to kill it with Doomguard + Mortal Coil, but by then he'd spent so many resources trying to remove one card (that had already inflicted 20 damage to the face) that he had nothing to stop Leeroy, Blade Flurry, Cold Blood buffed Auctioneer, etc.

Thalnos?

Thalnos, Cairne, and Leeroy are the best neutral legendaries because they're highly versatile across a wide number of decks and classes. Thalnos is legendary because of his high value. He costs very little, he has a powerful effect, and he has a nice death rattle.

+1 spell damage is highly valuable in pretty much every class except maybe Hunter.

TimeKillr

Made some alterations to my paladin deck. Removed some stuff and added another consecration, 2 equalities and another weapon.

It's kinda funny to go up against a Handlock that plays loads of molten giants and such and gives them taunt. Then I equality and avenging wrath on them and finish him off with my weapon :D

Aren't you happy you have Equalities now? :)

Equality + Consecrate = board clear
You can do another fun combo - Wild Pyro + Equality = instant Doomsayer! :)

Grio

Neo Member
Trollish? Exactly how many disclaimers of "dunno if this is true" does one have to make before people stop making downputting replies around here?

Anyway, you are overreacting a bit to this concept. "higher chance" doesn't mean "you get all your low cost cards first". It doesn't mean that at all. In game design, just a tiny % higher chance is enough to tip the average amount of " mostly unreasonable draws" over the line into the realm of "mostly reasonable". It also doesn't mean that this effect is in play during the whole match, just the initial draw/swap.

And again, I dunno if it's true or not. I simply said I read that somewhere and I don't remember where.

So chill.

Mr. Sandwich, I was stating your source was trollish, not you.

I believe that if your influence was even still in the initial draw / swap, you're still looking at a controlled situation at the start of the game. I'm not sure they'd want to influence at all because you're really looking at a different game all together (one that might not be considered a tabletop card game at that).

Think RL MTG.

PS - This is my personal opinion, I mean no offense to anyone by this.

Sandwich

Neo Member
Mr. Sandwich, I was stating your source was trollish, not you.

I believe that if your influence was even still in the initial draw / swap, you're still looking at a controlled situation at the start of the game. I'm not sure they'd want to influence at all because you're really looking at a different game all together (one that might not be considered a tabletop card game at that).

Think RL MTG.

PS - This is my personal opinion, I mean no offense to anyone by this.

Ah yes, and I agree :)

Redemption + creatures with deathrattles or Divine Shield. Do it.

A little late, but I just wanted to post that I'm playing a deck based on this right now. It's doing me pretty well so far; it took me from Rank 15 to Rank 7, and I don't think I'm hitting a wall quite yet.

I also added two Blood Knights to the deck, adding even more synergy with all of the Divine Shield minions. When I open with an Argent Squire and my opponent does as well, I just can't wipe the grin off my face.

ViviOggi

PJbP690.jpg

Nice Millhouse play on turn 8 bro (those gimmick cards in my hand were from free Thoughtsteals)

Sandwich

Neo Member
I saw this play on youtube once (many months ago) where the guy played Millhouse and so the other guy managed to get out a Ragnaros on turn 2 I think it was. I don't remember who it was. I also don't remember exactly how it happened. But it was quite funny to watch.

Kosma

Banned
Does anyone here play ramp/watcher druid?

Im playing a ghetto version now without faceless, only 1 ancient (war), rag, ysera, geddon, cenarius...

Its doing ok but i find it lacks punch at the end and without faceless its hard to cope with handlock or rags.

Also im running low om health quick, no watchers means i only have 2 healing touches.

Any recommendations? I also have hogger who I dont use in this deck.

I always play with the same deck. It's similar to Warlock zoo I guess, but still VERY different.

Last night about 3 turns in I had someone rage quit after I put down some 1mana cards, most likely because he thought I was using the infamous zoo deck and was sick of getting smashed by it. lol

Kosma

Banned
Yeah i thought i could get by without them but ive lost a few times already just cause i was low on hp.

Faceless is really needed too to copy any big threat or my own rag. Was even thinking of putting in a naturalize just for endgame threats.

Ive put in an abomination to and two tazdingos to stop rushers.

Geddon is kind of cool, esp in combo with rag. But because im already low on hp when i play him he doesnt really work.

Yeah i thought i could get by without them but ive lost a few times already just cause i was low on hp.

Faceless is really needed too to copy any big threat or my own rag. Was even thinking of putting in a naturalize just for endgame threats.

Ive put in an abomination to and two tazdingos to stop rushers.

Geddon is kind of cool, esp in combo with rag. But because im already low on hp when i play him he doesnt really work.

the goal is to have a big parade of threats out early so your opponent can't trade efficiently. being able to pump put druid of the claw, sun walker and ancient of war on consecutive turns is tough to deal with. ancient of lore is important because you're often starved of card draw. especially when you innervate out something big early on.

you should be relying on your wraths, keepers and swipes to keep early aggression at bay. it's also the reason gaara runs a single starfall.

zoukka

Mono Blizzards, Flamestrikes, Frostbolts and Pyroblast is fun to play against.

Oh and fireballs. It's totally ok for arena that the three best spells are basics for Mage.

I saw this play on youtube once (many months ago) where the guy played Millhouse and so the other guy managed to get out a Ragnaros on turn 2 I think it was. I don't remember who it was. I also don't remember exactly how it happened. But it was quite funny to watch.

I think that was Noxious using a Mindgames.

Kosma

Banned
the goal is to have a big parade of threats out early so your opponent can't trade efficiently. being able to pump put druid of the claw, sun walker and ancient of war on consecutive turns is tough to deal with. ancient of lore is important because you're often starved of card draw. especially when you innervate out something big early on.

you should be relying on your wraths, keepers and swipes to keep early aggression at bay. it's also the reason gaara runs a single starfall.

I have a single starfire in the deck.

Just spent all my dust on rag so cant craft the ancients.

Got obsessed with this deck yesterday after i got cenarius and one watcher in some packs i bought. My first entry into droods.

Guess its back to zoo. Ill put my rag in it.

I did see someone play Millhouse against a priest and they just Mind Controlled him.

Sandwich

Neo Member
I think that was Noxious using a Mindgames.

Yep it was, I posted a link to it above :)

I have a video in a folder on my PC of myself playing against a warlock a couple of months ago. On turn 6 he had only 3 cards and 6 mana to use. In that one turn, he played 6 murlocs (that all buffed each other), and none of them was that murloc that spawns a seconday murloc. 6 individual singular murlocs. And he finished that turn by also hitting me with a soulfire.

CoolOff

Greedy players tilt me so fucking hard. You know the ones, those that not just once, but over the course of several turns goes for your face when it's so obvious that trading the minion is the better move. I almost don't care that I destroy them the next turn 80% of the time, because those situations where I don't have an answer that turns the game in my favor infuriates me, and I'm generally a very calm player.

I just want to scream "WHY ARE YOU SO DUMB, AND WHY IS IT WORKING FOR YOU?!".

Sandwich

Neo Member
I just want to scream "WHY ARE YOU SO DUMB, AND WHY IS IT WORKING FOR YOU?!".

Sorry for this offtopic post but what you just said reminded me so much of the one and only time all my friends got together to play poker for real money.

We sat down at a big table and we had drinks ready and snacks and we had planned a long slow evening of serious gameplay, like the adults we are.

But 2 of my friends, who never played poker before, called everything, no matter what. Just "call!, call!, call!". If you had bad cards and tried to play tactically/bluff, then it wouldn't matter because they would call even though they also had bad cards. If you had great cards they would call everything and happen to have slightly better cards. Long story short, they called 100% of the time and one of them had all the money in 10 minutes. We planned to spend hours and it was over in 10 minutes. Due to mindlessly calling 100% of the time and being lucky.

The whole thing was just awkward. People were like "ok now what? watch a movie?"

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Turn 1 coin Amani against a rogue. He drops Thalnos+backstab.

But of course.

Sorry for this offtopic post but what you just said reminded me so much of the one and only time all my friends got together to play poker for real money.

We sat down at a big table and we had drinks ready and snacks and we had planned a long slow evening of serious gameplay, like the adults we are.

But 2 of my friends, who never played poker before, called everything, no matter what. Just "call!, call!, call!". If you had bad cards and tried to play tactically/bluff, then it wouldn't matter because they would call even though they also had bad cards. If you had great cards they would call everything and happen to have slightly better cards. Long story short, they called 100% of the time and one of them had all the money in 10 minutes. We planned to spend hours and it was over in 10 minutes. Due to mindlessly calling 100% of the time and being lucky.

The whole thing was just awkward. People were like "ok now what? watch a movie?"

I used to play poker with some co-workers and they were very much like this. It's hard to get mad at someone, but when they call an all-in with a single pair when you have a flush or something, only to have them runner runner you for a 5% chance win... it can be pretty infuriating. I'm usually a very calm guy, but some of those games had me ready to burst, haha.

That being said, I won way more often than not with good, standard play. I just bet when I had a strong had, folded when I didn't. I ended up winning 7 of our games in a row one time, hahaha.

Turn 1 coin Amani against a rogue. He drops Thalnos+backstab.

But of course.

That's very standard. Almost every Tempo Rogue runs Thalnos/Kobold Geomancer for that very reason.

... Well, other than Spell Damage cards being very, very good for Rogue in general :).

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
That's very standard. Almost every Tempo Rogue runs Thalnos/Kobold Geomancer for that very reason.

... Well, other than Spell Damage cards being very, very good for Rogue in general :).

Of course, I just meant the fact he had the perfect mulligan.. as did I. I won in the end, he did good old shadowstep Leeroy and Vancleef on the same turn. Into my ice block. Next turn killed him with the 4 whelps and a fireball.

My thanks.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
ended up having 3 Scarlet Crusaders out at once in Arena on Turn 9.

Can't imagine what the opponent was thinking.

Me? Please don't have a blood knight, please don't have a blood knight.

Of course, I just meant the fact he had the perfect mulligan.. as did I. I won in the end, he did good old shadowstep Leeroy and Vancleef on the same turn. Into my ice block. Next turn killed him with the 4 whelps and a fireball.

My thanks.

Honestly, Rogues always having the answer can be maddening. I'm running two Blood Knights, but it almost never works as intended against Rogues.

The following has happened to me at least three times in the last couple of days since crafting my BKs:

I have the Coin against the rogue. I also have the Argent Squire and BK combo! Yes!

Turn 1 he passes, I drop Argent Squire.

Turn 2 he plays a small minion. I coin into a BK, so I now have a 1/1 and 6/6 on the field.

Turn 3 he Backstabs then Eviscerates my BK.

Alternate means, same end.

He has coin.

Turn 1 I Argent Squire. He coins into dagger, hits the Divine Shield off.

Turn 2 I play Redemption. He kills my AS, but it comes back -- complete with Shield. Everything according to plan!

Turn 3 I Blood Knight! ... until he Backstabs and Eviscerates it. GOD DAMN IT!

... :'( every time.

Thalnos?

Spell damage is useful for many classes. Thalnos is almost auto-include in every rogue deck I make. Heck, most decks I like to have him. But for example, in rogue I love to drop him and backstab for 3 which happens to hit a lot more minions for lethal and then blade flurry with and without deadly poison to get 1 extra damage on an aoe.

And the reason why he is so awesome is because after I get value out of him, when he dies he cycles himself so I can grab an early card advantage and later turn that advantage into extra damage and/or tempo. Turn 4 play him and then eviscerate a yeti for 1 shot is another common example of using him. Then my opponent has to spend mana removing thalnos which often gives me a mana spent advantage and/or easier board presence to deal with.

Spell damage is useful for many classes. Thalnos is almost auto-include in every rogue deck I make. Heck, most decks I like to have him. But for example, in rogue I love to drop him and backstab for 3 which happens to hit a lot more minions for lethal and then blade flurry with and without deadly poison to get 1 extra damage on an aoe.

I didn't realize it worked that way.

Doing some research, apparently if you have no weapon and use Blade Flurry with a Spell Damage creature, it will do 1 damage. Crazy!

Kosh

I didn't realize it worked that way.

Doing some research, apparently if you have no weapon and use Blade Flurry with a Spell Damage creature, it will do 1 damage. Crazy!

I don't think so, because the game won't let you play Blade Flurry unless you have a weapon equipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom